I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can confirm I 100% do this. I had been previously paying all of my bill except $1 with a CC to retain my auto-pay discount. Then I got a sad notice that I would lose my discount a few months back. The lost discount would have negated any points earned so I stopped for a bit. Then the VZ Amex offer came out and I could not resist $100 off $500 so I ordered VZ GCs online. It does not code as telecommunications for me, but I use it on my current MSR card. It does not report L3 GC data to Amex. It shows "equipment." I have also been trying numerous cash back portals and none have tracked. If I find one that does, I will share! There is one tiny quirk with the process. You can only apply the GCs if you have a balance due. I order more GCs as soon as I apply my old ones to my current bill.
That’s really strange you can‘t use autopay. I have a gov’t employee discount and have always paid on cc with autopay. I‘ve changed the cc a couple of times in the past 6 months to use for MSRs too.

Is this “Murphy’s Law of MSRs”? I recently received my Southwest personal card (auto approved!!) — working towards the CP and hadn’t even started working on the MSR when bam! yesterday the dishwasher dies and we need to buy a new one. We decide on a Bosch and so we’re almost up to the first $1000– o_O I bow to all of you pros that are working on multiple MSRs at the same time!!

Doing some research for our Amsterdam/Spain trip. Trying to make Amsterdam happen using AA miles.
AA: TUL --> AMS & MAD --> TUL, booking as RT web special for 34K miles.
Used google flights to find pricing for AMS--> BCN, can get $60 ticket through Vueling, anyone have experience with that airline?

Other options are CSA - for $100 & KLM for $125.

We flew Vueling from MRS to BCN a couple years ago. It went smoothly. I think it's worth upgrading the seat that includes luggage because it's not much more. I would fly with them again.

Thanks for all the talk about rental car rates. We have a car booked for next weekend when we're going to Florida for spring training games. I had a rate of $291 for Thursday night through Monday night using 19,394 UR points. Just checked and it's down to $243 (16,224 points) so saved almost $50 in less than 5 minutes!

I know you got some replies, but I do not believe the welcome offer expires, and that the birthday offer expires 15 days into the next month. You must use the welcome offer first. I know there was a DP that someone was able to use both at the same time, but that is YMMV and some servers may not do it. I was not allowed to at Y&Y. My backup was running into Rainforest Cafe for some random merchandise, but I ended up going to have some dessert at Bubba Gump in City Walk. Its really great to have when visiting WDW. You get seated BEFORE people with ADRs. Amazing!
wait wait wait..... Now I need to go look at tha LAndrys list..... Bubba Gump is on it? I need to pay attention!

Anyone know offhand of a specific property within walking distance of Disneyland that has rooms with 2 bathrooms? I guess that's a suite but some of the "suites" I've looked at have only the 1 bathroom and I definitely need 2. Bonus if it's a reasonable cost... in June.... :rolleyes1
The family suites at the Residence Inn have 2 bathrooms, and they are pretty nice as well. Not sure whether they are a reasonable price for your dates. They also have bunk beds in the second bedroom, so may not be what you are looking for on bed configurations.

Sorry I didn't see this post before I posted my previous post. At one week out the price is most likely the price. I find the best prices at about 6-8 weeks out.
I have switched my car rental on the day we're leaving for vacation... literally last minute before leaving home b/c the price dropped..... I find it changes most in the week preceding....

That’s really strange you can‘t use autopay. I have a gov’t employee discount and have always paid on cc with autopay. I‘ve changed the cc a couple of times in the past 6 months to use for MSRs too.
There's a difference to just paying with Auto pay and getting the auto pay discount. For certain plans you receive a discount on the bill for using autopay with a checking account (or debit card maybe?). If you change the auto pay option to pay with a CC you lose that discount until you change it back to a non-CC payment.

We also have autopay setup with CC for our Verizon plans with an employer discount but we're on plans that don't offer an autopay discount.

The workaround for these types of plans is using the Vz GC to pay. They don't penalize you for getting a gift ;)

I can confirm I 100% do this. I had been previously paying all of my bill except $1 with a CC to retain my auto-pay discount. Then I got a sad notice that I would lose my discount a few months back. The lost discount would have negated any points earned so I stopped for a bit. Then the VZ Amex offer came out and I could not resist $100 off $500 so I ordered VZ GCs online. It does not code as telecommunications for me, but I use it on my current MSR card. It does not report L3 GC data to Amex. It shows "equipment." I have also been trying numerous cash back portals and none have tracked. If I find one that does, I will share! There is one tiny quirk with the process. You can only apply the GCs if you have a balance due. I order more GCs as soon as I apply my old ones to my current bill.
This is great news! Thank you so much for the details. If I get my new phone at Costco, I can only pay $400?$500? max there and the rest goes onto our Verizon bill. When dh did this with his new phone, we couldn't use a CC to pay the balance.
There's a difference to just paying with Auto pay and getting the auto pay discount. For certain plans you receive a discount on the bill for using autopay with a checking account (or debit card maybe?). If you change the auto pay option to pay with a CC you lose that discount until you change it back to a non-CC payment.

We also have autopay setup with CC for our Verizon plans with an employer discount but we're on plans that don't offer an autopay discount.

The workaround for these types of plans is using the Vz GC to pay. They don't penalize you for getting a gift ;)
Yep, that's the kind of plan we have. It's a really good deal overall, but it doesn't work when you're trying to meet a MSR :rotfl:

I had booked separate flights to Disneyland on Sunday for a possible trip. Since I don't know the dates for sure yet I booked two possible options, one day apart. One was booked round trip 5/31-6/4, the other was split into one ways, one 5/30 and one 6/3. Overnight two people on the itinerary for 5/30 were canceled. My daughter's ticket is still there. All were under the same confirmation number. I know I heard of flights being canceled on the same day, but I guess it can also happen one day apart. So I'll cancel my daughter's ticket. But now I have to decide if I should cancel one myself before they cancel for me.

One drawback to the SW CP. Having to check in separate. I got a58 and dh got b28 for our 7:30 flight tomorrow, at exactly 24 hours. Hopefully there isn't too much family boarding, going from Minneapolis to Nashville.

Hey Neighbor,
We were on the nonstop flight to Orlando that left just before you ☺. I was just checking in and see I’m 22 pages behind. DD and I had a wonderful mother/daughter day at MK yesterday. We are doing 3 park days this trip and relaxing the other days. It’s nice to be outside and warm again. 10 degrees at home today.

Last edited:
So update on the CIU saga. We submitted proof of EIN number and Chase said that it wasn't enough and we had to get a letter from the IRS and after 2 hours of waiting on hold, the IRS issued the letter. We got it in the mail this week and.... they spelled the business name wrong! UGH!!!!!! I'm so annoyed!

Thanks for all the talk about rental car rates. We have a car booked for next weekend when we're going to Florida for spring training games. I had a rate of $291 for Thursday night through Monday night using 19,394 UR points. Just checked and it's down to $243 (16,224 points) so saved almost $50 in less than 5 minutes!
This sounds like a Geiko commercial!! 🤣

Glad you saved some points 😃

This is great news! Thank you so much for the details. If I get my new phone at Costco, I can only pay $400?$500? max there and the rest goes onto our Verizon bill. When dh did this with his new phone, we couldn't use a CC to pay the balance.

Yep, that's the kind of plan we have. It's a really good deal overall, but it doesn't work when you're trying to meet a MSR :rotfl:
Exactly my experience! I was fine paying with a CC before switching to the mix and match unlimited plan. I only switched because the auto pay discount ended up making unlimited cost less than my grandfathered shared data plan. Didn’t want to lose the savings!

@LuckyMamaInDE I believe the max online GC you can purchase at once is 5, $100 GCs. In store would be different if you need more or you could do multiple orders. There have also been reports of people getting to checkout online and VZ saying the GCs are sold out. I got around that by placing individual orders. Lol. The GCs come in 24/48 hours so it’s not too bad. Also, DO NOT peel the security sticker on them, scratch them off gently! I almost lost the pin on one of mine. Lesson learned 🤣

For those who have called the Chase recon number- My friend applied for the SW plus card with my referral. The phone message says 7-10 days, so I gave her what I thought was the recon number- 888-270-2127. But when she calls that she either has to choose option 1 which asks for a reference number, or option 2 which asks for the last 4 digits of card number (which she doesn't have). We've tried pressing 0,#,etc and nothing gets us to a person. Is there another number or are we missing something?

wait wait wait..... Now I need to go look at tha LAndrys list..... Bubba Gump is on it? I need to pay attention!
Yes! The Landry’s footprint is huge!!! I was in NYC with friends waiting at a Mexican restaurant when I saw the sign. Pulled up my app and we cut the line. They thought I had some magical powers 🧙‍♂️ The card has saved me a lot of time and money!

For those who have called the Chase recon number- My friend applied for the SW plus card with my referral. The phone message says 7-10 days, so I gave her what I thought was the recon number- 888-270-2127. But when she calls that she either has to choose option 1 which asks for a reference number, or option 2 which asks for the last 4 digits of card number (which she doesn't have). We've tried pressing 0,#,etc and nothing gets us to a person. Is there another number or are we missing something?
Choose Option 1 and then say you don’t have ref# / press 0. A rep will come on and ask for SSN.

I'm open to business cards. I currently have two cards through Chase- is it just opening 5/24 that is an issue, or in theory am I able to have an old one (or two) and open 5 more over two years?

We spend around $5,000/month- which is why it occurred to me I need to figure out how to utilize this better. I think what I really want is the ability to take advantage of SUB reward points because nearly everything we do gets put on cards (and it's all paid monthly)

Southwest makes me nervous mainly because of the open seating with my kids as we always manage to be those unlucky people who get split up- but I'm wondering if it's worth dealing with my anxiety for that. Are the points costs of domestic flights generally realistic enough that you get many free flights vs cash rewards elsewhere?

:welcome:

Can you answer the question on the first post?
We will probably recommend you get a Southwest card for a personal card, because most of us love Southwest. And also the Chase Business Ink Preferred, but it's hard to make recommendations when we don't know how much you charge a month or if you are willing to open small business cards.

The current SW offer ends tomorrow, if that is a bonus you would be interested tomorrow would be a great day to apply. You would have to use a support link because the offer isn't available on the Chase website anymore but we have support links in our private Reddit group.
I was like you many years back when we used to go to Disney regularly - exclusively used the Disney card. When one of my DS started to look at out of state schools four years ago, I decided to explore more "general" credit card travel perks to be able to fly him home and back to school. This is what I did (sorry this somewhat of a repeat post; I can't figure out how to link just a single post here):

I do not churn, but I have a set of cards I use to earn travel rewards. I earn URs through three cards which I got in this order:
CSP 3/2016 - the only AF card I currently hold
CF 7/20216
CFU 7/19

So update on the CIU saga. We submitted proof of EIN number and Chase said that it wasn't enough and we had to get a letter from the IRS and after 2 hours of waiting on hold, the IRS issued the letter. We got it in the mail this week and.... they spelled the business name wrong! UGH!!!!!! I'm so annoyed!

how frustrating.....At this point would you be better off letting this application expire and apply again after 30 days with just first name, last name and SS number as the business name

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!