I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watching the FDA commissioner talking about how many of the Covid-19 deaths could be reclassified to other co-morbidities. I know from my experience that many people that die from the flu don't actually die from the flu they just happen to also have the flu. It also sounds like their close to coming out with an antibody test. I have a feeling there's a lot of people walking around that already had it and don't know they had it. I think when all is said and done and we get all the data the death rate will be a lot lower than the 2% were seeing now. My guess is less than 1% which is still bad, but not as bad we think.

Thanks, everyone and Sorry guys. I am still happily team “no pug.” Tati is a beautiful figment of my imagination and a borrowed gif. DS’s BF congratulated him on his new dog and I now need to break his ❤. If we ever do get one, DS will be in the pic with it and it would probably be a pug (or at least a little dog.) Happy April Fool’s!
Haha, you got me on this one. I did actually spend some time yesterday researching dog breeders. DD6's pet fish died last week, and when we offered to pick out a new one when the store opened back up, she said "no, I'll just wait until we get a dog." We've been telling her for ages that we'll get a dog, and I think it's finally time to actually get on a wait list. We're planning to get a collie though, not a pug. Not sure how long the wait lists are, but hopefully we'll find something in the next year or so.

In other news- pigs must have started flying, because my FIL Skyped with us! He's 82 and very tech-averse. DH got him a webcam last Christmas (2018) and set it up for him. This is the first time he's ever allowed it to be used. I'm really glad because he lives alone, so it's nice to see him instead of just talk to him.

It’s so complicated but I’m not sure. We had an employee quit and start a new job. They fired her after a week and the unemployment claim went against us because she wasn’t with the new employer long enough.
Can she get her old job back? I’m sure that’s a dumb question given the current situation.

Never really researched unemployment to the employer, but past company I was with for 10 years laid everyone off due to lack of business 6 years ago so I applied for unemployment since my wife was a stay at home mom at the time and it was denied because my employer told the state they paid me my last paycheck and 275hrs PTO when they didn't and had no intention of doing that any time soon. State called me and let me know they were denying me because I lied saying I was not paid. Told the lady I wanted that in writing that they paid me right now and I will be in a law office instantly! She just said she'd process my objection and get back to me... Always wondered what their angle was to lie to the state about that.

Another dilemma...in the craziness and stress of everything, I forgot to cancel our rental car that was from 3/31-4/4. Supposed to be at wdw right now 😥 I booked with UR points. Anyway to recover anything? I have to have my dh call and don’t want to ask that of him if there’s no chance of getting any points back.
You can call and all he’ll have to do is give permission to talk to you. No idea if you have a chance at a refund though 😔

Not sure about the insurance - I always buy the 3rd party Cancel for any reason insurance also and I guess I just assumed I would get my points back (well 75% of the points per the policy)

I bought Cancel for Any Reason from Allianz - I don't think it covers my flights that were booked with points, but if you find a way to recover your points can you please post it? I guess I really need to cancel everything but I just don't have the heart to do it yet. I worked so hard to get those flights, hotels, etc. and it's just disappointing. I know it's not going to happen though, so I really need to go ahead and work on it sometime soon. :(

I bought Cancel for Any Reason from Allianz - I don't think it covers my flights that were booked with points, but if you find a way to recover your points can you please post it? I guess I really need to cancel everything but I just don't have the heart to do it yet. I worked so hard to get those flights, hotels, etc. and it's just disappointing. I know it's not going to happen though, so I really need to go ahead and work on it sometime soon. :(
Just remember the golden rule: if it will cost you just as much to cancel today as tomorrow, put it off to tomorrow. They might cancel it for you :)

Never really researched unemployment to the employer, but past company I was with for 10 years laid everyone off due to lack of business 6 years ago so I applied for unemployment since my wife was a stay at home mom at the time and it was denied because my employer told the state they paid me my last paycheck and 275hrs PTO when they didn't and had no intention of doing that any time soon. State called me and let me know they were denying me because I lied saying I was not paid. Told the lady I wanted that in writing that they paid me right now and I will be in a law office instantly! She just said she'd process my objection and get back to me... Always wondered what their angle was to lie to the state about that.

Their angle is that they have to pay Unemployment back through their Unemployment Insurance. I don't recall the exact workings but it's either based on how much money is paid out or how many employees are on, but that raises the rates they pay on all of the rest of their employees. Thats why companies will fight Unemployment claims when an employee shouldn't get it. In your case, it's clear what they did was wrong. But overall, laying employees off doesn't take it off the books completely.

If they paid her like it's a regular job then unemployment taxes come out of it. It's part of what comes out of all of our checks each pay period and where the money for the program comes. At least that's always been my understanding.

I don't see how FL can keep it to only FL DL's though. Between seasonal workers due to those that hold residences elsewhere and college students not to mention military spouses, there's plenty of people all over the country that are legally in the state with a different DL. Or I went to CA for 4 years with my WA license and shouldn't have, but I wasn't a CA resident, paid out of state tuition and still voted in WA, my car was plated in WA etc.

You also can't get unemployment if you quit and it wouldn't matter if where she was previously working isn't open, she wasn't an employee for there for a long enough time. It doesn't matter that if she'd still have been there x would happen because she wasn't there.

I think more of the conern would be how close are they looking at it and how do they look at college program kids. Even if it's considered a paid internship they are paid like it's a pt job not with a stipend so taxes and SSI etc should have been taken out. If they weren't I'd be concerned about a lot of kids taxes since the program started :)
It's tricky. I mentioned earlier that we had an employee quit to take a new job then get fired from that job. The unemployment claim did go against us even though she quit because she hadn't been at the new employer long enough.

Dh and I went to get gas today, trying to be as careful as possible. I didn't get out of the car. Then I noticed tons of people over at our big sports complex so I asked him to drive over there to see what was going on. There were so many groups of people out playing sports and weren't following the 6 foot rule at all. I'm not sure what it's going to take for people around here to understand. One group was about 15 teenagers wearing matching uniforms so I can only assume it was a sports practice. They were in a tight group throwing a ball around. I'm all for people going out and exercising; I think that's great! I love seeing more people out lately that are exercising or playing outside. Seeing big groups like that does make me nervous, though.
Stay at home order should help some.

I just watching the FDA commissioner talking about how many of the Covid-19 deaths could be reclassified to other co-morbidities. I know from my experience that many people that die from the flu don't actually die from the flu they just happen to also have the flu. It also sounds like their close to coming out with an antibody test. I have a feeling there's a lot of people walking around that already had it and don't know they had it. I think when all is said and done and we get all the data the death rate will be a lot lower than the 2% were seeing now. My guess is less than 1% which is still bad, but not as bad we think.
My daughters company is starting production on a rapid test for Covid-19. For now it is just going to hospitals, clinics etc in NY, NJ and CT...the hope is to also release a home test...they manufacture them for various other diseases. She’s in regulatory and has been working closely with the FDA fast tracking this test. This is a small company, hopefully there are other companies doing the same.

I got 20 pages behind here again so I just jumped up and read the last three pages here. In sad news, I'm going to have to cancel our Japan trip :sad: Our state is now under stay at home orders until June 10--our flight is June 7. Japan has also now banned foreign visitors indefinitely. I'm pretty bummed about it, though I know things could be much worse for us. It's just like, dang... first class round trip JAL flights too and I can't go!! I'm just waiting for AA to extend the cancellation period to our dates and then I'll cancel.

By getting points back you mean like you would cancel and get 75% of your URs back? Unless you buy the insurance through a package with Chase or the cruise line when booking I do not understand how that would be possible. An insurance company cannot pay out URs.
Now that I'm thinking about it,I don't know either..... I just assumed they would pay the stated value of the cruise- which is an actual $ amount on the paperwork. So in payemtn method is the points, but the cost/value of the cruise is xxxx amount to be insured.(?)

By getting points back you mean like you would cancel and get 75% of your URs back? Unless you buy the insurance through a package with Chase or the cruise line when booking I do not understand how that would be possible. An insurance company cannot pay out URs.
Now that I'm thinking about it,I don't know either..... I just assumed they would pay the stated value of the cruise- which is an actual $ amount on the paperwork. So in payemtn method is the points, but the cost/value of the cruise is xxxx amount to be insured.(?)

6.6 million initial claims last week. Yikes. Briefing.com was expecting 2.8 million.

Praying Paycheck Protection Program helps business owners and employees.

I'm just guessing but I figure there will be a second stimulus check.
Also, the 6.6 million may be inflated by people who won't qualify but file anyway, or that find other employment.

I'm just guessing but I figure there will be a second stimulus check.
Also, the 6.6 million may be inflated by people who won't qualify but file anyway, or that find other employment.
Or the 6.6 million is an undercount because of people who couldn't get through to their state's unemployment office online or by phone

Our son (26 yo) shares a house with 3 other people. He is the only one still employed.

Or the 6.6 million is an undercount because of people who couldn't get through to their state's unemployment office online or by phone

Our son (26 yo) shares a house with 3 other people. He is the only one still employed.
I agree. There's still a huge backlog. State unemployment systems are just not meant to deal with this many people. And I'm so glad your son is still employed. Crazy times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!