I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. We are scheduled to go to Hawaii the first week in August, this trip is rescheduled from March. We are flying SW. I didn't book my daughters companion ticket and now the flight home is sold out. All SW flights home from Hawaii to the mainland are sold out that day.

There is a good chance the trip won't happen given current circumstances. Hawaii is still under a mandatory 14 day quarantine for visitors and Aulani hasn't announced an opening date.

I'm OK buying a one way ticket home on another airline for DD and myself but I don't want to do anything until I know if we can go.

Any advice?
I’d keep stalking SWA daily. Someone will cancel! 🤞

I'm definitely going to check multiple times a day! It is so insane that literally every flight from any island to the mainland is sold out on that day!

When that happened to me 2 months ago . SWA was doing a Schedule revision for my date and all Flights were shown as Sold-out until they were done with the process . hang in there

You could always try renting from Dave's DVC. It doesn't hurt to try and they let you know pretty quickly if rooms are available
So, how long does one give David's to reply before counting it a loss. I'm under a little pressure here since we're just over a month away. I put in a request yesterday, contacted them via their contact form tonight. As of tonight the room I requested is still available. Actually, it looks like all are available except Jambo with a waitlist.

I probably should have just contacted the guy I rented from a few years ago. That'll be the next plan I think, I guess I'm on like Plan E or something.

ETA: I guess with the weekend I will need to wait until Monday.

Apologies if I have asked this before.

I have a Citi Biz AA card and about 10K AA miles. The year is coming up at the end of July and I have no further use for the card, and I don't believe there is anything to PC to (please correct me if I am wrong).

Do those 10K AA miles just stay in my AA account if I completely cancel/close the card?

Hi! I'm new here! :wave:

I'm shopping for a credit card with a high percentage back for gas purchases. I've recently started driving for DoorDash to save money for trips and Christmas. And I'm filling my tank 2-3 times/week. I expect to pay $4800-6000 in gas each year, depending on how high gas goes back up, and if I continue driving as much as I do now.

A little about us, to help with your suggestions: We're a family of 7 (kids from 5-16). We'd like to get to Disneyland about once a year, and another one or two short trips for just my husband and I. Our next family trip will hopefully be next March. We're in Sacramento, so we just drive down. But my husband and I entertain the idea of flying when it's just us. We prefer Southwest. Because there are so many of us, we try to find places to stay that have extra space, and 2 bathrooms. We also love National Parks. And we'd love to take a 2 week trip to the East Coast fall of 2021 or 22. (Focusing on Boston and Washington DC; we enjoy history.) That will be pricey for plane tickets, and hotels. We don't eat out much, maybe once a week with my husband or the family.

I have a Chase Ink Unlimited Business card from Jan or Feb of 2019. (I've been using that for gas, but it only gets 1.5%)
And that's the only credit card I have.

From my research, I'm looking at two:

-Sam's Club MasterCard
This gives 5% cashback for gas. Another 3% dining and travel, and 1% on everything else. We already shop at Sam's Club. I like that it has no annual fee.
(My husband is against credit cards, and I was taught the same way. So an annual fee would make him uncomfortable. But if I was able to explain that the benefits are worth it, he probably wouldn't mind. We make our decisions together, so his opinion means a lot to me.)

-Bank of America Cash Reward
I like that it has a $200 cash bonus after spending $1000. It gives 3% for a category of my choice (gas), and 2% for grocery and wholesale, 1% for everything else. So, I'd get less back from my gas, but the $200 would make up for it.

I'd also get less back on dining and travel from BoA than Sam's. But I think it's funny that BoA would give more back from shopping at Sam's than the Sam's card would. And since Sam's has Disney gift cards already discounted 5-6%, the additional 2% from the BoA card would be nice. (I've also learned from this board that I can get 5% back on Disney GC purchased from office stores with the business card I already have.)

Those are my thoughts. Are there other cards I should be looking at? And what do you all think about these two?

I'm open to more than 1 card. I like what I'm reading about you using a handful and timing them right for the most benefit. But I think I should start with just one for a couple months, at least if they require a purchase for a bonus. I can only commit to about $1500 going on my card(s) each month right now. Then there will be some months when it's much higher during travel or pre-purchasing for trips, and Christmas.

I assume you'll advise me to get a Southwest card at some point to prepare for our East coast trip?

Thanks for your patience in reading my novel. If there was something I didn't cover, just ask!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Apologies if I have asked this before.

I have a Citi Biz AA card and about 10K AA miles. The year is coming up at the end of July and I have no further use for the card, and I don't believe there is anything to PC to (please correct me if I am wrong).

Do those 10K AA miles just stay in my AA account if I completely cancel/close the card?

Usually, with most programs, rewards points or miles stay in your account.

However, most of these programs have expiry dates for points or miles - could be a year, or even 2 from last activity. Once the credit card is gone it is easy to forget to maintain the reward account. I looked at AA and the only easy redemption was for newspapers. Redemptions usually count as activity which will keep points or miles alive. The obvious way to keep the miles alive is to fly. Not sure if AA is your airline of choice.

Anyway, they should stay in your account pending, expiry, more earning or redemption.

Usually, with most programs, rewards points or miles stay in your account.

However, most of these programs have expiry dates for points or miles - could be a year, or even 2 from last activity. Once the credit card is gone it is easy to forget to maintain the reward account. I looked at AA and the only easy redemption was for newspapers. Redemptions usually count as activity which will keep points or miles alive. The obvious way to keep the miles alive is to fly. Not sure if AA is your airline of choice.

Anyway, they should stay in your account pending, expiry, more earning or redemption.
I thought that there was also a shopping portal. Can you shop to earn AA points to keep them active?

I'm shopping for a credit card with a high percentage back for gas purchases. I've recently started driving for DoorDash to save money for trips and Christmas. And I'm filling my tank 2-3 times/week. I expect to pay $4800-6000 in gas each year, depending on how high gas goes back up, and if I continue driving as much as I do now.

A little about us, to help with your suggestions: We're a family of 7 (kids from 5-16). We'd like to get to Disneyland about once a year, and another one or two short trips for just my husband and I. Our next family trip will hopefully be next March. We're in Sacramento, so we just drive down. But my husband and I entertain the idea of flying when it's just us. We prefer Southwest. Because there are so many of us, we try to find places to stay that have extra space, and 2 bathrooms. We also love National Parks. And we'd love to take a 2 week trip to the East Coast fall of 2021 or 22. (Focusing on Boston and Washington DC; we enjoy history.) That will be pricey for plane tickets, and hotels. We don't eat out much, maybe once a week with my husband or the family.

I have a Chase Ink Unlimited Business card from Jan or Feb of 2019. (I've been using that for gas, but it only gets 1.5%)

-Sam's Club MasterCard
This gives 5% cashback for gas. Another 3% dining and travel, and 1% on everything else. We already shop at Sam's Club. I like that it has no annual fee.
(My husband is against credit cards, and I was taught the same way. So an annual fee would make him uncomfortable. But if I was able to explain that the benefits are worth it, he probably wouldn't mind. We make our decisions together, so his opinion means a lot to me.)

I like that it has a $200 cash bonus after spending $1000. It gives 3% for a category of my choice (gas), and 2% for grocery and wholesale, 1% for everything else. So, I'd get less back from my gas, but the $200 would make up for it.

I'd also get less back on dining and travel from BoA than Sam's. But I think it's funny that BoA would give more back from shopping at Sam's than the Sam's card would. And since Sam's has Disney gift cards already discounted 5-6%, the additional 2% from the BoA card would be nice. (I've also learned from this board that I can get 5% back on Disney GC purchased from office stores with the business card I already have.)

Those are my thoughts. Are there other cards I should be looking at? And what do you all think about these two?

I'm open to more than 1 card. I like what I'm reading about you using a handful and timing them right for the most benefit. But I think I should start with just one for a couple months, at least if they require a purchase for a bonus. I can only commit to about $1500 going on my card(s) each month right now. Then there will be some months when it's much higher during travel or pre-purchasing for trips, and Christmas.

I assume you'll advise me to get a Southwest card at some point to prepare for our East coast trip?

Thanks for your patience in reading my novel. If there was something I didn't cover, just ask!

Welcome. Here's my two cents. Bonuses are usually worth far more than category spend. If you know that you'll spend a certain amount on gas or other category in a set period of time, then take 3% (or whatever %) of that and then compare it to available bonuses to see what I mean. For example, the CSP bonus is 60k URs which could be taken as $600 cash (minus the AF). You could product change to a no fee card after the 1st year to avoid another fee. You would have to spend a ton to get that $600 back with just category spend. That being said, when I'm not spending toward a bonus, I use my Amex BCP (groceries), BOA cash rewards card (online shopping category), and BOA travel rewards. BOA is not everyone's cup of tea, but I keep some investments with them so I get preferred rewards which bumps up the % on their cards.

-Sam's Club MasterCard

Are you near a Costco and could become a member? The Costco Visa is 4% back on gas (up to $7K), 3% back on travel and dining, 2% back on Costco purchases. There is no annual fee. Unfortunately, there isn’t a signup bonus.

If you’re looking for a cash back credit card, especially for gas, I would consider it. If you’re more interested in credit cards with good signup bonuses, I would skip it and go that route instead.

They do have a shopping portal. That's how I plan to keep my account active since I just canceled my biz card.

I didn't see it when I went looking but I did not go in through my Citi account so could have easily missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter