I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kmc8826 I saw your post in the closed thread about canceling your Plat. I canceled my biz Plat and the biz Green at the one year mark (Aug/Sept) and was sure I'd get the pop-up for the rest of my life because of it. Even when those cards had been open I was getting the pop-up every time I applied for the Hilton biz. Since then I have received the BBP (no pop-up) and just recently was approved for the Hilton biz with no pop-up. So don't worry too much about it, but definitely spend on your open Amex cards!

My chase biz checking account bonus is showing pending in that account this morning!

2020 goals:
- earn CP for both DH and myself
- earn enough UR & bank bonuses to cover the cost of our big WDW trip in Feb 2021
- Squeeze in a couple shorter trips to make use of SW points and (hopefully) CP's (LA/DLR trip is mostly booked with points, starting to work on November trip to WDW for W&D 1/2!)

I'm so grateful DH said no more Disney after seeing the total cost of our last trip in August, because that led me here! I'm even more grateful for all the help and guidance with getting started on this journey because it's opened the opportunity for our family to travel to places that we never anticipated. I wish everyone the best for 2020!

Commenting on @AmyAnne 's post in V2.0: Amex and the pop up.

Have had an amex card since 2001 and another that I'm not sure what year it is, either 1999 or 2001ish.

Have never closed an amex card.

Paid them lots of interest in the first 5-6 years.

Got angry with them when they changed my interest rate back when I had a balance. Paid of the card and put it in the sock drawer right after the phone call. This was mid 2000's.

Eventually raised my amex card count to 5 cards by adding the spg biz, the spg lux, and the amex rose gold card. July 31 to Nov ? of 2018. 3 amex cards added in less than 4 months.

Put some spend on all cards, and lots of spend on the rose gold card.

Got myself up to 7 or 8/24. Not sure exactly whether I hit 8 and not going back to look right now.

Applied for the Amex Hilton Biz that had a limited run and a great deal at the time.

Credit score waffles between 830 and 850.

Income is relatively low(er) then my former employed income since I'm retired and I haven't started to draw from retirement accounts. Have not had a need. Pensions pay for everything and I haven't even started drawing social security. My 'income' baffles amex as they keep asking for numbers with a pop up when I sign in and have sent me letters requesting my income. I ignore them.

Got the pop up.

I really think the lack of knowledge regarding my current income is why.
After reading many pop up stories I'm sort of curious if I applied for an MR card whether I could get approved on the info I'm supplying.

2019 was a very high spend year. I had no trouble at all meeting MSRs. For 2020, I'd like to spend less and open less cards. I have plans for a SW card in January to qualify for a CP. That's all I have currently planned. We will see how the year turns out.

Here on the new thread! Happy New Year! We are currently using our 7 night certificate in Tampa. Having a great time just walking around various parts of the city. We have been to Dunedin (highly recommend), Tarpon Springs (glad we did it, but wouldn't go there again), Ybor City (eh, reminded me of Bourbon Street but with no one around but lots of chickens, maybe because we were there early on a Monday), Tampa Riverwalk (nice area to walk). Today we are going to St. Pete, tomorrow Busch Gardens and Friday driving up to Crystal River to hopefully swim with the Manatees. Our hotel, I don't really recommend. I think @Judique and @amalone1013 have both mentioned it as a possibility. It is The Current on Tampa Bay and it is fairly new, I think opened in September. The only reason I picked it is because it said it slept 5 and had a sofa. I was worried because I saw ZERO pictures of the queen rooms, only the King rooms. The King room pic showed a settee, I wouldn't call it a sofa, but I thought better than nothing. Well turns out nothing is what you get in the queen room! There is a chair nut no sofa. It has not been fun, but we are making it work with a lot of complaints. They only have valet parking, and there is no reason for it. There is parking under the hotel and an attached garage. Not really sure why they insist on valet. And the hot water sucks. The hotel is not within walking distance of anything.

Goals for 2020 - More URs! Don't have anything specific, I guess more business cards. I need to actually plan my trips out so I know what I need.

I gave up on your hotel because of the valet parking and the 'nothing to walk to in vicinity'.

Feel the same about Tarpon Springs except I might like to drop in to eat at one of the restaurants.

Enjoy the Manatees! And what about the Weeki Watchi mermaids? I may have the name wrong...

oh good! there you are!!!! I wondered what happened to the old thread when it was locked...
I wanted to respond to @calypso726 thank you for the idea, but my dumb old self picked the lower earning one as a parking spot.... I have made this mistake before trying to sort out the Amex's.... Oh well I needed to slow my pace for a bit anyway. And I never seem to qualify for any Amazon offers with MR lately anyway which is one big reason to have them (for me)

FOr Amex experts out there..... I got my new card (not physically yet) on my account page,and I can see my MR balance on that card page,am I ok to go ahead and cancel my biz green (the original MR card) ? Like,it shows on both accounts,so I think I'm good,right?

Goals for 2020? hmmmm.....convince my family to travel more? I'm sure they won't be onboard....but I have my three things planned so I'll be satisfied (for now)
1-Use the heck out of our SWA CP before it expires next December
2- Possibly find a good use for a bunch of Hh points that I got but haven't really used yet like I thought I would....(I've had a good run using all the other free nights and stuff from other programs,so the Hh are still sitting there)
3- Possibly get into the Hyatt game myself alongside P2
4- very unsure about future chase activity...I really don't want to stretch beyond my limits....but the dangling carrot is so appealing..... for now, I'm just using and enjoying what UR I've got....
5- plan a 2021 Disney trip to see new stuff
6-focusing more on paying our mortgage off asap since I would enjoy finishing that up and it's our only big bill (except for property taxes here) so that means less $ to throw at MSR/bonuses b/c it's all organic here.... (DH really wants the mortgage off his back)

My goals for 2020
-growing the UR stash, possibly cashing some out for trip stuff that I can’t use points for
-(related goal) keeping under 5/24...I’m 4/24 (got Amex gold earlier this month) until October 2020 so no more personal cards for me until then at least. P2 is still 3/24 so thinking of trying the USbank premium travel card for him around Feb/March
-watch like a hawk for Plastiq deals (<2% please!) to use with MSR cards or A+
-not get my Serve shut down and continue to use it hopefully in conjunction with OM/OD deals
-hopefully get HHBiz free weekend night on both cards to use 3 nights this fall (got my first one about a month ago)
-plan next big family trip for after Europe trip (coming up this late spring), not sure where to go

Kinda silly question, but how, exactly, do I use my J4U rewards at an Exxon station? :magnify: Is there some sort of a selection to make before entering my phone number??

I'm a Wawa gas girl who only fills up once a month.

I've seen the Hyatt card come up a few times. Can someone explain what's great about it? That's our preferred brand but I always just transfer URs to my Hyatt account. We don't stay enough to earn any status, usually <10 nights a year.

Page 3 already! Do churners never sleep?!?

2020 goals
  • Keep Cipping :drinking1 mostly because of next goal
  • Keep spending on AMEX to see if I can get out of pop-up jail. Really would like a MR card. Might even break down and see if they will approve a personal card for me. No luck so far with BBP or Green Biz.
  • Stay at 4/24 or get to 3/24. After next card falls off in March, will get a Hyatt card so will not be 3/24 until September.

I've seen the Hyatt card come up a few times. Can someone explain what's great about it? That's our preferred brand but I always just transfer URs to my Hyatt account. We don't stay enough to earn any status, usually <10 nights a year.

This is my motivation. I like to get cards with FNCs. I can easily justify the AF as I'll get more value from a night stay. Also with Hyatt, you can MS for another FNC.

Kinda silly question, but how, exactly, do I use my J4U rewards at an Exxon station? :magnify: Is there some sort of a selection to make before entering my phone number??

I'm a Wawa gas girl who only fills up once a month.
Yes, you’ll hit the rewards button, then select Safeway, then enter your phone number. It will then ask if you want to use $.20 and you say yes. Easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!