I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many Amex offers expiring today and tomorrow. Hoping for new offers coming that can help me with my Disney gift card needs over the next couple weeks! :wizard:popcorn:: Also hoping I think things through correctly and add those offers to the correct cards! Could have used the recent Lowes offer for this but I put it on P2’s current MSR card.

Happy New Year! Next up is a CIP. (I will apply tomorrow). Other than that wait and seen.

Churning has been mostly depressing lately and not exciting. Fingers crossed game will actually change for the positive in the next year. It seems lately just bad news of shut downs and locked accounts.
Replying to this and your comment about cancelling you amex in the old thread. I agree about the depressing twists this year! And I wish you well with escaping the pop-up. I haven't had luck yet since cancelling my Biz Platinum, but am still trying to spend on all my cards. I still don't regret cancelling, but it is really annoying.

View attachment 461490

This is my motivation. I like to get cards with FNCs. I can easily justify the AF as I'll get more value from a night stay. Also with Hyatt, you can MS for another FNC.
Hyatt IMO is the best no bs redemptions. they also give the most for loyalty. TPG also puts it at the highest value I tend to agree I'm waiting for a 60k sign-up bonus for this because, to be frank, I'm upset about Marriot I'm lifetime platinum and I feel no value in my stay anymore (was a die-hard SPG fanboy like Disney to some degree). I am going to shift to Hyatt but the free certificate for whatever reason with Marriot/Bonvoy CC is keeping me there.

Last edited:

My 2020 churning goals:
  • Earn rewards for an epic Hawaii and DLR trip for my 40th.
  • Stay under 5/24 for now. This should be pretty easy as I am at 4/24 and have two cards drop off in January.
  • Consider SW CP later this year if SW flights to Hawaii fit our travel plans.
  • Try to get out of pop-up jail with Amex (keep putting some spend on all my cards for another few months).
  • Discover IT? Something beyond Amex and Chase? So much to consider!

chiming in
My 2020 CC goals are sorry I dont believe in closing cards if I dont have to :)
* Find a deal for PNW trip I have enough points for the hotel's thanks to the degrading Marriot points hopefully there isn't another devaluation coming.
* Get Delta Bonus tiers as much as I can still debating the reserve card with 6 flights a year it's just a hard AF to swallow.
* Maximize all the UR and MR I can
* Find more deals to maximize gift cards for Disney weekend trips.
* Possibly get to Aulani on points by fall more than likely ill just rent points from the DVC store.

Happy New Thread!! pixiedust:

Churning Goals for 2020:
I had 2 cards drop off in the last few months and I am 1/24 ! Woohoo love it!
I just logged into Chase and saw I have a new CIP in my account, so I will be working on that MSR. I have some traveling excursions to book so that will help.
Since I have some wiggle room, I am thinking about jumping into the Hilton point world.
At the end of 2020 I will need to start working with Southwest for a new CP for 2021/22.

I have a sapphire that will be hitting a year in Feb that I plan on PCing to a Freedom, and a CIP pc to CIC.

I want to try for a couple of bank bonuses this year as well.
“Bank bonuses” you say?
“YES!” says I!

Hyatt IMO is the best no bs redemptions. they also give the most for loyalty. TPG also puts it at the highest value I tend to agree I'm waiting for a 60k sign-up bonus for this because, to be frank, I'm upset about Marriot in lifetime platinum and I feel no value in my stay anymore (was a die-hard SPG fanboy like Disney to some degree). I am going to shift to Hyatt but the free certificate for whatever reason with Marriot/Bonvoy CC is keeping me there.
It sucks that they are joining the peak/non-peak club in March though. Although maybe that will work towards my benefit in Sydney since Aug is typically a low season.

@Alexle2007 I didn’t think to contact pottery barn. I’ve had it for awhile so I assumed they wouldn’t do anything about it. I’m not sure if I even have the order number anymore. I’ll have to check and see

It sucks that they are joining the peak/non-peak club in March though. Although maybe that will work towards my benefit in Sydney since Aug is typically a low season.
it does but at least its 3 set values, Marriot I've looked a few times for PNW trip (Seattle and Vancouver) and the rates vary within a few days of looking. Also the points seem much more manageable. not a range of say 15-70k points a night for a 4* hotel.

Happy New Year! I am new here and hoping I am following the rules, doing this right. I have read the first six sticky notes and tried to follow along with the latest strings. I am hoping to some input and feeback on what cards should I be considering. Please jump in and let me know if I missed anything critical-sorry this is so long.

Monthly Spend-We average about 9k monthly on our Chase Disney account. Gas and groceries account for around 16% of our spending. Travel in 2019 was around 27%. We also have membership to both Sam’s and Costco and do much of our shopping there much thinking this only earning us 1% versus 2% in points. This account was established in 02/17. We use this account as our main spending. I will say as much as I have used it for daily spending, I didn’t do a great job of transferring our reoccurring payments to this account until recently. Now I have everything that I can possibly have being paid out of this account. Currently, we have around $2700.00 in Disney redemption points. I also have a Capital One account that was established in July of 2015 that is my oldest account. We never use this and it has a small limit but I have kept it open to for credit reporting. Lastly, I have a Ulta card established in early 2018 I believe that I only use at Ulta and pay off immediately. The limit is $4500.00. I haven’t figured out how to earn cash back or points for mortgage or utilities yet so that is something I would love advice on. Each month, I make sure to pay the interest saving balance in full so we aren’t paying any interest ever, Typically, I try to ensure we are only report a small balance each month, no more the 30% of the available credit.
Flights and Travel: We prefer to book flights out of our closest airport in Sioux Falls, SD but I check flights out of Minneapolis and Omaha as well. Direct out of SF is difficult and can get expensive. I don’t have a preference of frequent flyer and unfortunately, I haven’t done a good job taking advantage of these programs. As a family of six, we fly together once or twice a year. I tend to fly for work another one or two times a year. Generally, we are flying on low budget airlines such as Allegiant, Spirit, Sun County, etc. Sioux Falls airport does not have SW Airline service. I travel for work once in a while and stay at Hiltons so I am a HH member at the Gold level staying 14 nights this year. I also have a handful of Hyatt points, Marriott and some for IHG.
Goals: I am hoping to learn how to maximize our cash backs and points so we can travel more often as a family with less spend. Thinking it is time to start applying to some cards and possibly close old accounts but don’t want to make a mistake that will cost me in the future? Also, we should be in a position to pay off two auto loans in the next 30 days that equal 12k. I am wondering do I wait to apply for cards until after that is reflected or do I get a card now and use Plastiq to try and maximize some cash back and points?
Trips planned: We just completed our 3rd Disney cruise the end of November 2019 and have a placeholder for 2 rooms. There are six of us. We are looking to do Alaska in May of 2021 which will be expensive but plan to book on opening day for silver in late Feb of 2020. We generally use a placeholder and book opening day to get the best deal we can but this limits how often we go. When we have planned trips to WDW, we have stayed in a suite at Art of Animation due to the suites. We have stayed off property once as well. In 2019, we traveled to California twice(one trip included four days at Disneyland), spent a week in both Wisconsin Dells and Branson, MO. Traveled to sporting events, etc.
April 2020-Trying to get to Yuma, AZ over Easter break to see the in-laws. Looking at flights to Phoenix or San Diego but haven’t booked yet. Willing to fly out of somewhere other the Sioux Falls if needed. Thinking AirBNB or VRBO for the six of us but open.
June 2020-likely will plan to be in Florida in the Orlando area as DD will be playing National VB there. Would love to plan some time at either the parks or head over to the Siesta Keys. Other travel-both our DD’s play club sports so several weekend trip to Kansas City, Omaha, Wisconsin Dells, Denver, Louisville and Black Hills, SD. We are family of six with four kids ranging ages 18,16,13 and 11. For some of the sporting activities, only a few of us travel for the weekend. For hotel stays, we generally end up to two rooms or a two-bedroom suite.

You guys are up too early. We got home late last night from the airport and didn’t go to bed until about 2 am. I’ve been laying in bed all morning with my cats trying to recover from being gone for 10 days. It feels good to be in my own house and bed.

2020 churning goals:
-Meet CIP MSR
-Get a CSR for myself
-Try applying for Amex cards. If we get the pop up then put spend on cards and try again
-Take a break from chase for a little bit
-Keep using the CIC for Serve (might be our only big Chase focus for the year after the first two cards)
-Might try out some bank bonuses because we've never done them before
-Book plane tickets to London for 2021

Last edited:
I shared this on the DIS FIRE thread earlier this week but will share here now too! All of those cashed out URs...$15,000 to be exact... I used them to payoff my mortgage! It's a pretty nice way to end my year, and it's the culmination of an almost 5 year goal of mine!!

Goals for 2020:
For me - 2 Southwest Biz cards for companion pass...But I’m on the “wait 30 days To see if you got the card in writing” message :/ Not sure what my plan is beyond that or if I get denied again. Kind of annoyed...

For DH: He will go from 7/24 to 3/24 by the end of April. Then it’s time for him to hit that Chase Business gauntlet hard lol!

I shared this on the DIS FIRE thread earlier this week but will share here now too! All of those cashed out URs...$15,000 to be exact... I used them to payoff my mortgage! It's a pretty nice way to end my year, and it's the culmination of an almost 5 year goal of mine!!

Wow! That’s seriously amazing and inspirational! I have decided to finally start a blog/vlog on our journey to FI with a large family. People have begged me for years and work commitments have aligned and it’s time! Clearly you need to be one of my first guest posts! Lol

2020 Goals:

- Get a Chase card for the UR stash - someday Chase will approve me again :sad2:
- Even more to the mortgage pay down and continue on my FIRE path
- Have DH open two new cards
- Spend less eating out and on food period
- Ramp up my exercise routine and try not to blow my back up again

Wow! That’s seriously amazing and inspirational! I have decided to finally start a blog/vlog on our journey to FI with a large family. People have begged me for years and work commitments have aligned and it’s time! Clearly you need to be one of my first guest posts! Lol
As long as I can leave the helmet on I'd consider it, HAHA!

My Churning 2020 New Years Resolution:

- stop ruining things for other DISchurners.

in 2019 I started collecting UR and Disney went off the portal. I get on the train and they shut the whole thing down.

Sorry guys. I’ll do better in 2020.

Oh, good. It's your fault. Phew. I thought it was me. :goodvibes

I've seen the Hyatt card come up a few times. Can someone explain what's great about it? That's our preferred brand but I always just transfer URs to my Hyatt account. We don't stay enough to earn any status, usually <10 nights a year.

The AF is low, there's a free night every year, and I have a weakness for Park Hyatts but won't pay 1k/nt for a hotel room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts