I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eek! Didn’t realize how much more it was for you guys on the left coast. Ouch!

Yup, I recall one time before we became registered travelers they were short staffed and there were only two customs agents. It took nearly two hours to get through. I always leave plenty of time when connecting through though. I like hanging out at the Concorde lounge, taking advantage of the spa and booking a cabana. It will be interesting to see how things will be different or if they will post Brexit transition period.

Any pink on the castle that ISN’T a birthday cake is fine in my book.
The Concorde lounge is the best! And I agree ... will be very interesting!

Now I want Pop Tarts. Thanks a lot, you guys!
Ok, not anything to do with pop tarts. When you get a chance can you tell me how you got your tickets to Japan? I remember reading it and I tried searching your posts, but it's sooo........ far back. It may be on the previous thread. I just got my first CIP and I'm hoping to go for a second or third. I'd like to fly to Japan in business class in 2021.

Hi, We haven't gotten a new card in years. I've been phasing out our Barclays card (most of our life is on autopay) in favor of our Disney card to use the points to pay off our DVC.
That's great and all, but I figure we're spending enough we should get getting a better deal for ourselves.
We have a trip in May to universal, and I know they have some perks for using an AMEX card, so I'm wondering if there's an AMEX card that has particularly good bonuses? If not, I just want some better way to either get cash back or pay for travel. Worst case we could charge Universal to our Delta card and get something else for charging the rest of our life to.
:welcome:

Can you answer the question on the first post?
We will probably recommend you get a Southwest card for a personal card, because most of us love Southwest. And also the Chase Business Ink Preferred, but it's hard to make recommendations when we don't know how much you charge a month or if you are willing to open small business cards.

The current SW offer ends tomorrow, if that is a bonus you would be interested tomorrow would be a great day to apply. You would have to use a support link because the offer isn't available on the Chase website anymore but we have support links in our private Reddit group.

This thread moves fast, but we are a friendly bunch just trying to travel for "free" or as close to free as possible. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Do any of you use rental cars fairly regularly? Is it normal for the price to fluctuate quite a bit?

Originally I made a reservation for 5 days for my upcoming trip. Last week my friend, who is splitting the cost with me since we always carpool, asked me how much to PayPal me for the car. When I looked up the reservation I discovered I had made it for pickup on the wrong day!! Yikes! So to pick it up a day earlier now went from $234 to $374. Obviously my fault so I quoted her for half the original dollar amount and I will just have to eat the rest.

But, today on a whim I went back and looked and the same rental is down to $337. Obviously I rebooked that and canceled the higher one.

And I feel like on my first rental a few months ago, when I brought the car back, they ended up charging me a bit less LESS than my original reservation stated (which I wasn't going to complain about).

So are rentals cars just... weird in that respect or am I missing something? This is only the third time in recent years I've rented. It just seems odd to me.

Ok, not anything to do with pop tarts. When you get a chance can you tell me how you got your tickets to Japan? I remember reading it and I tried searching your posts, but it's sooo........ far back. It may be on the previous thread. I just got my first CIP and I'm hoping to go for a second or third. I'd like to fly to Japan in business class in 2021.
Yes, I essentially used the exact steps listed in reddit... hold on a sec... the info listed here

It worked pretty much exactly like they said it would!

I am flying from LAX-NRT... obviously your availability might be affected by which airport you're trying to leave from.

Flights paid for entirely by Chase URs transferred to Virgin and booked on ANA.

Yes, I essentially used the exact steps listed in reddit... hold on a sec... the info listed here

I am flying from LAX-NRT... obviously your availability might be affected by which airport you're trying to leave from.

Thanks, LAX works for me. I knew you were flying on ANA, but I couldn't remember what transfer partner you used. I will keep my eye on Virgin.

Oh and the fuel surcharges were something like $534 (for 2 tickets) so just keep that in mind! Yikes!
That's actually not to bad for a round trip ticket. Don't ever look at British Airways fuel charges or you might faint. I'm flying home from Copenhagen on BA and it was 499.00 for two one-way business class tickets, and that's on the low side for British Airways.

Do any of you use rental cars fairly regularly? Is it normal for the price to fluctuate quite a bit?

Originally I made a reservation for 5 days for my upcoming trip. Last week my friend, who is splitting the cost with me since we always carpool, asked me how much to PayPal me for the car. When I looked up the reservation I discovered I had made it for pickup on the wrong day!! Yikes! So to pick it up a day earlier now went from $234 to $374. Obviously my fault so I quoted her for half the original dollar amount and I will just have to eat the rest.

But, today on a whim I went back and looked and the same rental is down to $337. Obviously I rebooked that and canceled the higher one.

And I feel like on my first rental a few months ago, when I brought the car back, they ended up charging me a bit less LESS than my original reservation stated (which I wasn't going to complain about).

So are rentals cars just... weird in that respect or am I missing something? This is only the third time in recent years I've rented. It just seems odd to me.
Yeah - rental cars are all over the place. I rarely rent, but when I do, I check prices daily sometimes 🤣

Yes, car prices fluctuate quite a bit. I usually make a reservation as soon as I have plans, then check back every few days. Sometimes it flexes a little, sometimes a lot. No problems changing reservations frequently.
Do you have a Costco membership? They beat other discounts almost every time !
Sometimes I’ll check mousesavers for coupons too, but I usually end up with Costco.

Yeah - rental cars are all over the place. I rarely rent, but when I do, I check prices daily sometimes 🤣

I will be from today until we leave next week!

Yes, car prices fluctuate quite a bit. I usually make a reservation as soon as I have plans, then check back every few days. Sometimes it flexes a little, sometimes a lot. No problems changing reservations frequently.
Do you have a Costco membership? They beat other discounts almost every time !
Sometimes I’ll check mousesavers for coupons too, but I usually end up with Costco.

Yes, this is all through Costco! Thanks!

If you have a Costco membership, check there. I have found them the lowest every time I have rented. Prices do fluctuate a lot so it might be worth it to check every day or at least a few times a week.

I've been watching flights for about a month since we're hoping to book sometime in May or June this year. The flights from LAX are basically nonexistent for whatever reason. I'm finding the most available out of Chicago. The return flights are about 2 weeks behind so that doesn't work well. We have a long time until we need to book so I'm hoping this is just a holiday thing. It's out to January 9th right now so Christmas season.

A little OT but I know I’ve seen Landry’s mentioned here before so I thought I’d ask about it here. My family would like to eat at T-Rex Café in May (DS8 is a big dinosaur buff!) I was able to get an ADR but for mid-afternoon. I think I’ve read that if you join Landry’s club, you can just show your card and get seated quickly. Is that right? I think joining costs $25, but comes with a $25 welcome gift/credit. Does anyone know how long the welcome gift is good for? I’d want to make sure to not get it too far in advance so it doesn’t expire. Also, has anyone tried using the card for Saltgrass Steakhouse? There’s a new one that just opened here in town, and I’ve eaten there twice already! I was thinking it might come in handy there too, but was curious if anyone had experience with that. TIA! :)
My welcome reward was good for one year. I also had a birthday reward when we visited T-rex. My birthday is in June, the birthday reward expired July 15. At T-Rex, they didn't let me combine both rewards at a meal. So, we went to the gift shop after dinner and I let both my kids pick out something small to use the second credit. They were THRILLED because I never do that, lol. We ended up a bit short of $25, so DH also got a reusable shopping bag that he enjoys bringing to the grocery store.

My kids loved this restaurant, btw. When I asked DD6 where she wanted to eat on our next trip to WDW, this was her only request. And we ate in Cinderella's castle last time! Guess I could have saved that money.

What city are you renting from? I start looking at rental cars as soon as I book a trip. I find there's a sweet spot where prices drop and then they go back up. It's not much too different then airfare. Book too early prices are high book too late prices are high. That being said I check frequently because sometimes you can get great last-minute deals. Do you belong to Costco? I find the best rates on Costco travel and I can compare different rental agencies. I always try to book with Alamo if possible. They have the self serve kiosks and I can avoid the lines.

I've been watching flights for about a month since we're hoping to book sometime in May or June this year. The flights from LAX are basically nonexistent for whatever reason. I'm finding the most available out of Chicago. The return flights are about 2 weeks behind so that doesn't work well. We have a long time until we need to book so I'm hoping this is just a holiday thing. It's out to January 9th right now so Christmas season.

I am still crossing my fingers for you!

What city are you renting from? I start looking at rental cars as soon as I book a trip. I find there's a sweet spot where prices drop and then they go back up. It's not much too different then airfare. Book too early prices are high book too late prices are high. That being said I check frequently because sometimes you can get great last-minute deals. Do you belong to Costco? I find the best rates on Costco travel and I can compare different rental agencies. I always try to book with Alamo if possible. They have the self serve kiosks and I can avoid the lines.

I am doing Costco Travel, booking through Enterprise simply because they're the cheapest one in a reasonable distance from my house. I'm in the Phoenix suburbs but on the far edge of the metro area, so there aren't a ton of convenient pickup locations near me. The location I've been using is near a bunch of car dealerships. It would be more convenient (but much more expensive) to use the smaller airport (not PHX) but I'm all about cost!

I will be from today until we leave next week!

Yes, this is all through Costco! Thanks!
Sorry I didn't see this post before I posted my previous post. At one week out the price is most likely the price. I find the best prices at about 6-8 weeks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!