I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're running yourself in circles! I'll try to help as well :) It doesn't matter when your anniversary is (unless you applied after May 2017 which you didn't), the travel credit resets at the end of the Dec statement cycle which for him will be Dec 17. You hopefully already got your double dip, or you're out of luck at this point. Your DH had the 2016 travel credit valid until approx Dec 17, 2016 and then he received the 2017 travel credit. Therefore the travel credit is tied to the mid-Dec statement close and not to when you pay the annual fee.

YOU are the one who has the double dip POTENTIAL left. You get your 2018 travel credit mid Dec & could use it and then cancel the card before the annual fee hits in Jan.
@hsmamato2 Yes this, so use your TC in Dec, then cancel before AF. Keep your DHs card. This will maximize your benefits.

I emailed him, hopefully he will call. But he is in sales & on the phone at work constantly. So we'll see. Fingers crossed. He tolerates this hobby but hates to participate.
That is so my dh also! He had to call twice on his CSR and was not successful in getting an approval so pretty sure he will never call again.

When I applied for the SW card last week, I also got the 30-day msg. I decided to let mine ride for a bit. When I called the automated line yesterday, I found out I was approved. I was going to call recon if I wasn't. I only got a 2k credit line though so I am guessing they had to look closely at my app to decide what to give me. If your dh has the CSR and CSP (like I do), he may be getting the same scrutiny. I definitely think it is worth him calling and asking if he needs to move some credit around.

So what's the deal with the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard 65,000 bonus miles invitation codes that everyone seems to be after? We don't fly American.

I'm curious about this too, because I've been getting this offer every week in the mail. I've never flown American, and have never had a Citi card lol.

Aw, that was my first travel card! (I just cancelled last week, oh the places it has led!) It's a good offer if you fly American or Alaska and have flexible dates. Finding mile saver space is a PAIN on American. To get an idea of what you're looking at go to the website and type in a potential trip and see the miles price. Besides the 65,000 miles benefits it includes free checked bags on American flights and 10% of your mile purchases back in your account up to 10,000 miles a year (no matter how many AA cards you have). Also, priority boarding (so typical airline card benefits). Another benefit is extra discounted flights to/from select airports a 2-3 months out under their Reduced Mileage program for credit card holders. (Alaska is a partner airline and sometimes available for booking through AA with AA miles.)

I also got the Barclay AA card when it had a sign up bonus of 40,000 miles. Had to pay the $95(?) annual fee and make 1 purchase, miles posted 6-8 weeks after the first statement closed. Citi miles posted quickly after the statement closed so that was a big difference between the 2.

People are jazzed I think because lots of people piled up on AA cards awhile back when they had no language restricting the earning of bonus miles, some people got like 6 of these cards over a few months so if they can get another no 24-month language offer it's great. My family members have been getting targeted invites in the mail on a weekly basis (and they refuse to fly AA again because of past incidents but whatever) & fingers crossed I get one now that I closed my card (without the "no bonus if received bonus within 24 months" language obviously!)

He can't really call from work. Last time he called (at home) he was on the line with Chase for 30 minutes. Can he call, or think that will be too late?

Oh, I see. I don't know how late he would be able to call and still leave time for a second call if he got the 30 day message on the second app, too.

Chase personal recon line is open til 10pm ET. I've called at 9:30pm before with no issue. As far as significant others who are not into the 'hobby' not wanting to call, you can handle the call for them. I did this with DBF. Just call Chase, loop your SO in, they go through 5-10 min approval process to 'grant' you authority to recon on their behalf by giving basic personal info, and you can handle the rest from there. I've done it twice before (so I ended up handling the 30 min recon process) and we aren't even married :)

We were contacted last week by the lodge at Grand Canyon where we made reservations for June 2018. Seems Chase flagged the charge as fraudulent & asked the lodge to provide proof we initiated the charge. Not clear why Chase didn't contact us. Also when we contacted Chase, they said they were no alerts on our account, however that was before I found out the contact to the lodge came from Chase fraud department.
That is weird! And would ring alarm bells in my head, I've never had a merchant come to me like that either. All merchants have ever said is the card was declined and then I get the fraud alert from Chase or whoever and then we try the transaction again and it's approved. Anyone else had a merchant contact them like this?

So what's the deal with the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard 65,000 bonus miles invitation codes that everyone seems to be after? We don't fly American.

Do you fly other One World partners? If so, you may get some value out of the card. I keep one since I am near an AA hub but do use AA miles to fly other OW partners too. I like that having the card will give you back 10% of miles redeemed each year up to 10,000 miles. Since we redeem well over 100,000 AA miles each year it is a nice perk. 65K is a nice bonus for that card. The highest I've seen on that one before is 60K. If we didn't already have plenty of AA miles, I'd probably go after that one myself.

You're running yourself in circles! I'll try to help as well :) It doesn't matter when your anniversary is (unless you applied after May 2017 which you didn't), the travel credit resets at the end of the Dec statement cycle which for him will be Dec 17. You hopefully already got your double dip, or you're out of luck at this point. Your DH had the 2016 travel credit valid until approx Dec 17, 2016 and then he received the 2017 travel credit. Therefore the travel credit is tied to the mid-Dec statement close and not to when you pay the annual fee.

YOU are the one who has the double dip POTENTIAL left. You get your 2018 travel credit mid Dec & could use it and then cancel the card before the annual fee hits in Jan.
Wait..... Mine is the best to keep? If I applied 1/10/17, I get a credit this December? I thought I wouldn't trigger another until after 1/10/18! So if I'm clear on this- every card now resets on December statement, regardless of opening? (before may'17) That would mean my card would reset on my Dec statement this year,on Dec 11?(or is it Jan 11?)
BTW Thank you for the detailed explanation- very helpful!

Do you fly other One World partners? If so, you may get some value out of the card. I keep one since I am near an AA hub but do use AA miles to fly other OW partners too. I like that having the card will give you back 10% of miles redeemed each year up to 10,000 miles. Since we redeem well over 100,000 AA miles each year it is a nice perk. 65K is a nice bonus for that card. The highest I've seen on that one before is 60K. If we didn't already have plenty of AA miles, I'd probably go after that one myself.

I'm still working through Chase, so I won't be applying for this card. But what this I see on Reddit with so many people applying for multiples of this card? Is there no restrictive language on the bonus?

ETA: posted before I saw @gottalovepluto's post

That is weird! And would ring alarm bells in my head, I've never had a merchant come to me like that either. All merchants have ever said is the card was declined and then I get the fraud alert from Chase or whoever and then we try the transaction again and it's approved. Anyone else had a merchant contact them like this?
I was suspicious and tried to check out all angles. Called Chase. Called the lodge reservation line and confirmed my res and they said I'd have to talk with Vickie for questions. The email I had gotten was from Vickie (they gave her name unprompted). The email from the lodge had our reservation date, last 4 of CC, etc. I double checked and the charge never posted to our account. I called and talked with Vickie at the lodge again yesterday and she said the charges for hotels are sometimes flagged because fraud is fairly easy there. But the whole thing makes me uncomfortable

Wait..... Mine is the best to keep? If I applied 1/10/17, I get a credit this December? I thought I wouldn't trigger another until after 1/10/18! So if I'm clear on this- every card now resets on December statement, regardless of opening? (before may'17) That would mean my card would reset on my Dec statement this year,on Dec 11?(or is it Jan 11?)
Yes yours will reset in December so keep it until then. Use the credit, then cancel.

You're welcome :) And you've basically got it! Yes, your card will reset on Dec 11 (or whenever your statement closes in mid-Dec). As long as you use your travel credit on your card between mid Dec and before your annual fee hits in Jan you will receive the "double dip".

Now we can get a little more complicated in deciding which card to keep... 2 scenarios play out like this to me:
Cancel DH's in Nov: you've already "locked in" the double dip on the travel credit on his card, would keep you from having to pay the annual fee this Nov
Cancel Your's in Jan: you can assure your ability to "double dip" by keeping DH's and cancelling your card in Jan before the annual fee hits as long as you will use the travel credit between mid Dec and your fee hitting in Jan. Downside- have to pay DH's annual fee in Nov. Upside- "lock-in" your ability to double dip the travel credit. If Chase changes the terms on our cards to resetting the travel credit based on our anniversary date instead of mid-Dec statement date you will have assured your ability to double dip. Whether or not Chase can do that or even logistically how they would do that idk but terms and conditions on these cards can and do change.

Personally, I would keep DHs because I'm paranoid by nature and would be worried about Chase changing the wording in the agreement, whether that is a realistic concern I have no idea. If you're not the paranoid type putting off the annual fee until after the holidays might make more sense.

@hsmamato2

Well this is interesting! Saw this on Reddit. Someone downgraded their CSR and received a partial refund of their annual fee (after using their "double dipped" travel credits)! Forget my paranoia about maybe losing the double dip opportunity I'd seriously consider giving this a shot if I had 2 cards in the family & one had already "double dipped". Here's the link from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/6j3eph/chase_sapphire_reserve_dp_received_150_prorated/

man, apply in Nov, $300 first credit. Dec, $300 2nd credit. 100,000 points. cancel after 3 months. $112.5 annual fee charge. + $100 Global Entry = $1587.50 u walk away with. haha

also good to know, u can PC down to a Freedom...

Question - I haven't applied for cc since the 90's, but have an old Chase Saphire with 0 balance. Will having that card hurt me when applying for the (2) SW cards? Thanks.

Bump, anyone?

Is it going to affect my application for (2) SW if I already have a older Chase card? I won't bother, if so.

For those working at minimum spends: don't forget donations! (that you would normally make any way) More and more organizations are accepting credit cards these days. I JUST realized there's a donation I usually make in early winter via credit card that I can push up to now help meet my minimum spend quicker. Win for them and a win for me!

For those working at minimum spends: don't forget donations! (that you would normally make any way) More and more organizations are accepting credit cards these days. I JUST realized there's a donation I usually make in early winter via credit card that I can push up to now help meet my minimum spend quicker. Win for them and a win for me!

Yes! I just realized a month ago or so that my church now has online giving. So no more writing a check for me:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter