I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG. I have found my tribe! We are very new to this game, but I'd love advice from you experts. We are doing a huge home renovation right now, with 30k-ish spend that could be accomplished really quickLy buying things like cabinets, fixtures, etc, all of which is immediately paid off. I decided to try to maximize that purchasing with cc bonuses, and was planning to spend the rewards on a big Disney trip. However, we are rethinking that, and as of right now I'm only planning to use my Barclay Arrival and Capitol One Venture points for park tickets and Starwood points for two separate 5th night free stays at the Dolphin, but want to use the rest of the points for other travel.

I am still not great at figuring out the timing of applying for more cards--at this point we will be adding cards strategically and using everyday spend to meet minimums. I would like a CSR and an Ink Business (I own a small business) and would love to drop and re-add my Southwest personal and business Visas in 2019 to get a companion pass, so I'm not sure if we should apply for more cards or not. It looks like I can maybe apply for Hyatt and IHG cards and it won't trigger 5/24? Any thoughts on Flexperks? I applied for 5 cards in 2017, all by June.
If you personally got 5 cards in 2017, you won't be eligible for Chase cards until 2019. The cards that don't fall under 5/24 (meaning you can still get them when over) will still count against 5/24. So if you add Hyatt & IHG, they will count as 6 & 7/24.
DH & I both have cards. Trying to keep him under 5/24 while I'm way over. Can your spouse apply for CSR or some of the others you're interested in?

Anyone here know if I book the AA basic economy rate does my Citi free checked bag still count? The wording on the website is confusing.
I'm pretty sure the point of the card is to never have to pay for bag fees (along with miles obviously). As long as everyone is on the same reservation.

From their website, no exclusion for basic economy:

Complimentary bags
In some cases, you won't have to pay the baggage fees for up to 3 bags. Find out if this applies to you.

1st checked bag is complimentary for:
  • Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator™ and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated itineraries)
  • AAdvantage® Gold
  • oneworld® Ruby
  • Alaska Airlines MVP members^
  • Confirmed Premium Economy customers*

OMG. I have found my tribe! We are very new to this game, but I'd love advice from you experts. We are doing a huge home renovation right now, with 30k-ish spend that could be accomplished really quickLy buying things like cabinets, fixtures, etc, all of which is immediately paid off. I decided to try to maximize that purchasing with cc bonuses, and was planning to spend the rewards on a big Disney trip. However, we are rethinking that, and as of right now I'm only planning to use my Barclay Arrival and Capitol One Venture points for park tickets and Starwood points for two separate 5th night free stays at the Dolphin, but want to use the rest of the points for other travel.

I am still not great at figuring out the timing of applying for more cards--at this point we will be adding cards strategically and using everyday spend to meet minimums. I would like a CSR and an Ink Business (I own a small business) and would love to drop and re-add my Southwest personal and business Visas in 2019 to get a companion pass, so I'm not sure if we should apply for more cards or not. It looks like I can maybe apply for Hyatt and IHG cards and it won't trigger 5/24? Any thoughts on Flexperks? I applied for 5 cards in 2017, all by June.

You might want to read this thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/5mhaai/beginners_chase_guide_for_folks_under_524/

My advice is not apply for any more cards willy-nilly. Apply for the CSR or CSP first, then figure out the rest. Definitely don't do Hyatt or IHG before the CSR/CSP.

With this game, having a plan for the points before you apply for cards to get them makes the most sense. That way you can target the right points/miles to get you where you want to go.

Anyone here know if I book the AA basic economy rate does my Citi free checked bag still count? The wording on the website is confusing.

Thanks @CyndiLouWho! When I booked it there was a place to accept restrictions and it sounded like only a personal item was allowed.

I concur with CyndiLouWho.

Your Citi AA card needs to be active AND your AAdvantage account number needs to be attached to your ticket at least 7 days prior to air travel. Up to 4 pax on the same reservation as the primary card holder can also get a free checked bag (domestic itinerary).

Can a Chase Ink transfer UR points to CSR? We plan on keeping one CSR for my husband, downgrading mine, but I will apply for a Chase Ink (is it plus) for my eBay business. That would really stink if the ability to transfer went away - how strong are the rumors of that happening?

We just returned from our Europe trip. We booked Norwegian Air through the portal as they were the cheapest flights I could find to anywhere in Europe for August, then with the 1.5 redemption it was great. Award tickets for a family of 6 are darn near impossible (and I've found that trying to coordinate award travel with non-award travel is a pain) so UR points have really opened up possibilities for us.

I am able to transfer my Ink + UR points to my DH's CSR account with no issues.

BA which usually has decent availability with multiple award seats but they are distance based and the taxes and fees are exorbitant when connecting through London.

Not sure if the rumors will come to fruition. In the meantime I am transferring all UR points to CSR as I get them.

i believe they are trying to cut things internally. Everyone is getting into the game and the one place suffering right now is the Priority pass Lounges... it used to be like, 3 cards. now its at 5 and more and more CC companies are coming out with their own edition of the CSR. US bank with its attitude card, BOA is suppose to come out with one next month to try to get some of the CSR with BOA accounts back to BOA.
im sure we will see more and more of these cards.

Yeah they need an Attitude adjustment. "CSR killer" ... not so much.

So in my quick scan of 333 pages :eek: I couldn't find an answer to my question, so my apologies if this has been asked before:

DW and I have our 30th next year and we're thinking about going to Europe. I'd love it if we could get enough points to fly an upgraded class on points alone.

We've never really maximized points before and not really sure about the distinctions on flights between premium economy/business/first/etc. Anyone have any websites, links, books, tips, resources, etc. to help me starting getting smart on this and planning? Thanks!

I learned everything through the bloggers mostly. Million Mile Secrets, View From the Wing, One Mile at a Time, The Points Guy, Frequent Miler and trying to decipher Flyer Talk.

I'd say you are starting behind the 8 ball for your current plans. It's possible but not easy. I plan at least 2 years out for big trips and always with a contingency back up. I will start checking flights to where I want to go. I will use Google flights, Momondo and also see if any of the bloggers have already done what I'm trying to do. Once I know which airlines or alliances I will likely be using, then I plan on how to get the miles I will likely need.

I give myself one year to accumulate the points and miles we need for plan A and plan B. I want them in place one year before the trip, as I will likely be booking about 11 months or so out. This is due to the types of trips we take. Adventures by Disney mostly, and I am currently on the Italy one headed to Venice as I post this. Between that and our jobs, we don't have much flexibility so we need to book specific dates. We travel hack to fly in first and those seats go fast so I need to book them the moment they are released.

Seat class experience varies across airlines, aircraft type and domestic vs international. The bloggers do a great job of discussing and rating them. Seat Guru dot com is my "go to" website when planning a trip. For a long haul flight we want lie flat seats. Therefore, I need to find which specific flights and aircraft have them for the trips we are planning.

When we were planning our Hawaii trip, we planned to use AA miles and there is only one aircraft that would get us to Hawaii in lie flat seats. So, we had to position ourselves to connect through DFW from Miami in order to get in the aircraft with the lie flat seats. Every other flight and connection would be in a slighter wider than economy seat that reclined a few inches. No thanks.

My suggestion is to start with the Chase Ultimate Rewards point earning cards first and to have both you and your DW each get your own individual cards, not authorized user" and each make the spend and each get the bonus. DH and I were able to accumulate 750,000 points and miles our first year doing it this way. Things were also easier than they are now. I would not apply for anything until you have exhausted 5/24 with Chase. Chase will automatically decline apps for UR (and a few other) cards if you have opened 5 credit cards, regardless of brand or type over the last 24 months. I would first get the Chase Sapphire Reserve (don't let the AF scare you). It's essentially a $150/year card sin FE you get a generous $300 travel credit. If you get Global entry then that's another $100 you save. The points alone are going to be worth over $750 and if you are redeeming for first with an airline transfer, then likely more than that. After CSR, get the CSP and just say you want it to separate business and personal expenses since it's the same card with similar benefits. Then I'd get the CIP, followed by the Marriott and United cards if you find you are able to utilize United.

Once you are past 5/24, from there, I'd pick up an SPG card, IHG card and a Club Carlson Card.

When it comes to spending, exploit your bonus categories, utilize shopping portals, join and max the dining rewards network of your preferred airline. Hope this helps.

Oh, you are past 5/24 so you would not be able to get a CSR or a CIP If you apply for more cards you likely won't be under 5/24 to qualify for the SW cards when 2019 rolls around. You can get approved for the IHG and Hyatt but then you'd be at 7/24.

If you are good with putting off your UR earning and SW cards off then might as well get several bonuses. We had a similar opportunity via a kitchen and bathroom remodel. We opted to get the BA card and will earn 100,000 Avios plus a travel together ticket which is good for 2 years. We are ok with BA's crazy taxes and fees when redeeming for first class. Using half the required miles with a travel together ticket will be great. Might use it to go see Hamilton in London too or some other insane plan LOL

If you personally got 5 cards in 2017, you won't be eligible for Chase cards until 2019. The cards that don't fall under 5/24 (meaning you can still get them when over) will still count against 5/24. So if you add Hyatt & IHG, they will count as 6 & 7/24.
DH & I both have cards. Trying to keep him under 5/24 while I'm way over. Can your spouse apply for CSR or some of the others you're interested in?

I am bummed I was not more aware of aaaaaallll the strategy when we stared doing this. We were not strategic at all in how we applied for cards (in terms of timing. We were trying to get certain rewards for a particular trip) and my husband was pretty leary of high annual fee cards. In hindsight, we went about it in a pretty backwards way, and should probably put the brakes on for the time being and reset. I guess that gives me more time to plan? But still a bummer.

Hi! :wave2: Since I know a little about what you've been up to, I'd say you can use points to chase eclipses :laughing: (we actually used 60K of our Hilton Surpass bonuses (100K/each) to stay 3 nights for the eclipse).

I'll let the experts chime in on the other stuff, but I think I'm one of the few on here with any Flexperks experience. For us, we are in a Delta hub and our OLD Delta cards w/US Bank became Flexperks cards way back when, so we kind-of accidentally got on board with that. What we like is the flexibility - can be used for any airline. That's also good, as we don't have great Southwest service or other competitive options (Delta dominates MSP for most destinations, it seems). I think you have more decent options, so you may have better ways to fly free. So, we have our old converted Flexperks Visa cards, but got the Flexperks AmEx cards last year when they had a 30K bonus each (enough for $600 airfare each). We did that spend, used a combined 80K points for 2 Icelandair flights to France that were just under $800/each, then cancelled the AmEx cards before the annual fee. One thing a lot of people don't like about Flexperks is that, for instance, if your flight is $399, you can get it for 20K points, but if it's $401, it will be 30K points. There is a hard line there at $400. I probably wouldn't get Flexperks with a bonus of less than the 30K we did. And, for many people, there are better cards. But, for us, they have been useful and we've gotten reasonable value.

Also, regarding the Hyatt, we just did those and got in at the tail end of the offer for 2 free nights. They have since changed it to 40K points. In our case, the rooms we booked were only 15K/night, so it would have been favorable. But, look at where you'd want to book and see if the 40K points will get you what you want (vs. the any hotel free night offer they previously had).

I am trying so hard to keep up with this thread but sometimes it is like trying to read an entirely different language.

I'm halfway through my initial spend amount for the CSP card. What is the Walmart Chase Pay deal? I can earn 10x points at walmart . com using chase pay, right? What am I supposed to be buying - does it work to purchase walmart gift cards and does that count toward the initial spend amount as well as the 10x points?

I'm such a dang newbie, LOL! I'm trying though!

I am trying so hard to keep up with this thread but sometimes it is like trying to read an entirely different language.

I'm halfway through my initial spend amount for the CSP card. What is the Walmart Chase Pay deal? I can earn 10x points at walmart . com using chase pay, right? What am I supposed to be buying - does it work to purchase walmart gift cards and does that count toward the initial spend amount as well as the 10x points?

I'm such a dang newbie, LOL! I'm trying though!
We've ALL been there! And still find ourselves there! For Sapphires and Freedoms if you make a purchase on Walmart.com you'll get a total of 10x points back if you use Chase Pay. Gift cards count. People with Sam's clubs bought Walmart gift cards to buy Disney gift cards. Someone bought Walmart gift cards and used those to buy Disney gift cards in store. Some of us bought 3rd party gift cards, Netflix, hulu, Uber. Some of us (me and one or 2 others I think) bought Visa gift cards (those have a fee attached so you have to make sure the math still works in your favor) I was too nervous to go Walmart gift card to Disney gift card route because I don't shop at Walmart and didn't want to stuck with Walmart gift cards. What we've learned:
-Can't use Chase Pay if you have business credit cards and personal credit cards on the same login
-Walmart loves to cancel orders, if your order is canceled use the chat feature on their website to find out why, usually it's some sort of security reset they have to do
-Walmart delays their stuff so long sometimes the pending charge drops off the card and has to be re-charged by Walmart. This can result in the charge not showing on your card until a week or more after it should have (@hsmamato2 was the latest victim of this I think, although they are having a real mess because they product changed their Chase card in the middle of the obscenely long Walmart transaction). So if you want to participate don't wait in case you get the freaky Walmart charge delay (Chase offer expires end of Aug)
-Can use the promo once on each Sapphire and Freedom card you have, 10x back on purchases, up to $250 in purchases

We've ALL been there! And still find ourselves there! For Sapphires and Freedoms if you make a purchase on Walmart.com you'll get a total of 10x points back if you use Chase Pay. Gift cards count. People with Sam's clubs bought Walmart gift cards to buy Disney gift cards. Someone bought Walmart gift cards and used those to buy Disney gift cards in store. Some of us bought 3rd party gift cards, Netflix, hulu, Uber. Some of us (me and one or 2 others I think) bought Visa gift cards (those have a fee attached so you have to make sure the math still works in your favor) I was too nervous to go Walmart gift card to Disney gift card route because I don't shop at Walmart and didn't want to stuck with Walmart gift cards. What we've learned:
-Can't use Chase Pay if you have business credit cards and personal credit cards on the same login
-Walmart loves to cancel orders, if your order is canceled use the chat feature on their website to find out why, usually it's some sort of security reset they have to do
-Walmart delays their stuff so long sometimes the pending charge drops off the card and has to be re-charged by Walmart. This can result in the charge not showing on your card until a week or more after it should have (@hsmamato2 was the latest victim of this I think, although they are having a real mess because they product changed their Chase card in the middle of the obscenely long Walmart transaction). So if you want to participate don't wait in case you get the freaky Walmart charge delay (Chase offer expires end of Aug)
-Can use the promo once on each Sapphire and Freedom card you have, 10x back on purchases, up to $250 in purchases

THANK YOU!! I do shop often at walmart so I'm going to try buying $250 in Walmart Gift Cards.

I have a question about Chase business cards. I'm going to apply for the CIP for the 80K bonus, but don't want to keep it long term. First, can I PC the CIP to an Ink Cash? And, if so, will I be able to transfer points from the Ink Cash to my CSR? For a keeper card I'd rather have the Ink Cash with no AF and 5% back on internet/phone/office supply stores but I'd also want to transfer those points into UR. Obviously the UR transfer rules could change but am wondering what the current rules are for transferring between business cards & personal cards.

I'd also add:

- Walmart loves to cancel orders -- especially electronic gift cards. You may have better luck ordering physical gift cards (free shipping), but it can take awhile for them to be delivered.

- You can use the Shop through Chase shopping portal for additional UR points; iirc, Sapphire cards earn 2x UR and Freedom earns 4x UR. (Check cashbackmonitor .com for latest rates). You will not earn these extra shopping portal points if you're ordering only gift cards. But if you add in gift cards with a non-gift card filler or add-on item, it seems you'll qualify for Shop through Chase points on the entire order.

- Can use the promo once on each Sapphire and Freedom account you have -- not card. Since Chase AU cards have the same number, expiration date and CIC as the primary card, I guess there's not much distinction, but I wouldn't want someone to try to double dip on this deal with an AU card -- it won't work.

Don't forget this deal ends on 8/31/17 so get your spending in!

THANK YOU!! I do shop often at walmart so I'm going to try buying $250 in Walmart Gift Cards.

Last edited:
I have a question about Chase business cards. I'm going to apply for the CIP for the 80K bonus, but don't want to keep it long term. First, can I PC the CIP to an Ink Cash? And, if so, will I be able to transfer points from the Ink Cash to my CSR? For a keeper card I'd rather have the Ink Cash with no AF and 5% back on internet/phone/office supply stores but I'd also want to transfer those points into UR. Obviously the UR transfer rules could change but am wondering what the current rules are for transferring between business cards & personal cards.
TPG gives you a step by step for transferring from Ink Cash to other household member's UR- https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/transfer-ultimate-rewards-points-between-accounts/

Yes, you can PC the CIP to Ink Cash. Conventional wisdom would tell you to wait a full year before PCing so you don't sour your relationship with Chase. The CIP's $95 AF hits before the end of your first statement so you're already paying for the year. I've seen DPs that say if you PC to Ink Cash within your first year, you'll get a prorated refund of your AF. But again, I don't know that I'd want any scrutiny over my account(s).

One reason you might want to keep the CIP for now is it'll still earn 3x UR on your "rent" payments through Plastiq, which more than offsets the 2.5% transaction fee and essentially buys you UR points at $0.008.

Of course, with Plastiq coding YMMV. I've been paying my rent with CIP since before the CSR stopped earning 3x through Plastiq. I earned 3x on 2 months of rent, then last month my recurring rent payment earned only 1x. I cancelled my scheduled payments and was prepared to switch my rent to my Amex PRG to meet a spending bonus, but I saw a lot of DPs on Reddit still reporting 3x on rent payments. I scheduled a single rent payment on Plastiq this week, and it looks like I'm back to earning 3x! (I just couldn't resist that sweet UR nectar.)

As you pointed out, UR points transfer rules could change in the near future, so I've been transferring out my points from my CIP to CSR as soon as the points post. @Alexle2007 already posted a helpful link. If you get an error trying to transfer between CIP/CIC and CSR, you can always SM or call Chase and request them to do it for you.

TPG gives you a step by step for transferring from Ink Cash to other household member's UR- https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/transfer-ultimate-rewards-points-between-accounts/
Thank you for the link! My wife doesn't have any UR-earning cards of her own (yet) but I plan to have her apply for a CSP after we finish the MS on the CIP.

Yes, you can PC the CIP to Ink Cash. Conventional wisdom would tell you to wait a full year before PCing so you don't sour your relationship with Chase. The CIP's $95 AF hits before the end of your first statement so you're already paying for the year. I've seen DPs that say if you PC to Ink Cash within your first year, you'll get a prorated refund of your AF. But again, I don't know that I'd want any scrutiny over my account(s).

One reason you might want to keep the CIP for now is it'll still earn 3x UR on your "rent" payments through Plastiq, which more than offsets the 2.5% transaction fee and essentially buys you UR points at $0.008.

Of course, with Plastiq coding YMMV. I've been paying my rent with CIP since before the CSR stopped earning 3x through Plastiq. I earned 3x on 2 months of rent, then last month my recurring rent payment earned only 1x. I cancelled my scheduled payments and was prepared to switch my rent to my Amex PRG to meet a spending bonus, but I saw a lot of DPs on Reddit still reporting 3x on rent payments. I scheduled a single rent payment on Plastiq this week, and it looks like I'm back to earning 3x! (I just couldn't resist that sweet UR nectar.)

As you pointed out, UR points transfer rules could change in the near future, so I've been transferring out my points from my CIP to CSR as soon as the points post. @Alexle2007 already posted a helpful link. If you get an error trying to transfer between CIP/CIC and CSR, you can always SM or call Chase and request them to do it for you.
All good points. I definitely don't want Chase to scrutinize my accounts too much, especially since my "business" is online sales, so I will wait until the one-year mark to PC. I didn't know the CIP was still earning 3x UR on Plastiq; I planned to make at least one rent payment on my CIP through there to help me meet the MS so hopefully I will get the 3x! I've also been transferring all my UR points from Freedom/CSP to CSR as soon as they post so I'm not caught out if they suddenly change the rules.

Successfully bought $300 of Disney gift cards in store at Best Buy and used the $30 off $300 Amex offer. Best Buy.com limits you to 3 $25 and 3 $50 gift cards so going in store was the only way I could reach the $300 threshold. $30 Credit posted a day after charge.

For future reference, you could also buy $300 in physical BBY GCs (1x$200, 1x$100) on BestBuy .com, then take those GCs in store to buy Disney GCs.

I had an Amex Offer giving 2x MR points for spending on BestBuy .com so it made sense to double dip with the $300 spend/$30 statement credit offer.

I didn't know the CIP was still earning 3x UR on Plastiq; I planned to make at least one rent payment on my CIP through there to help me meet the MS so hopefully I will get the 3x! I've also been transferring all my UR points from Freedom/CSP to CSR as soon as they post so I'm not caught out if they suddenly change the rules.

I've also found that paying our student loans (Mohela and AES; Reddit has DPs for others) and electricity bill through CIP+Plastiq earns 3x. Reddit DPs suggest car loan/lease payments using CIP+Plastiq also code for 3x.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the great advice that I received here. I was telling a friend about earning the SW CP so the family could go see my son's marching band perform at Disney and he asked me for a referral link so he could get a SW card. My referral link is still for 40K after 1k spend. Is there anyway that I send him a referral for the 60K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter