I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A report of CIP coding as cash advance on Plastiq over on r/churning, don't want to freak anyone out but might be something to keep an eye on. I've asked what they were paying, will update if they respond. https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7yutif/daily_discussion_thread_february_20_2018/dujzb7m/

I just made a Plastiq payment for LO's tuition using CIP today. I have another payment for student loans scheduled for tomorrow. Today's payment did not display any cash advance warning, and I had set the cash advance limit on my CIP for $200 (? something much less than the payment). Payment submitted fine. Will update how it codes when it posts. My last Plastiq payment on 2/15 coded for 3x.

Not sure if ya'll saw this, but Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature will now offer 5% cash back at Whole Foods for Prime members. I don't have this card, but this is impressive. It's a Chase card (of course).

https://www.recode.net/2018/2/20/17...-card-whole-foods-5-percent-back-visa-rewards

Damn! I have this card and have had it for years (and I'm a prime member so I'm now getting the 5% cash back), but I work for Albertsons/Safeway. No shopping at Whole Foods for me :-)

I just made a Plastiq payment for LO's tuition using CIP today. I have another payment for student loans scheduled for tomorrow. Today's payment did not display any cash advance warning, and I had set the cash advance limit on my CIP for $200 (? something much less than the payment). Payment submitted fine. Will update how it codes when it posts. My last Plastiq payment on 2/15 coded for 3x.
Hopefully it's just a problem with that FedLoan outfit!

You know it's bad when DoC does a round up post on the recently dead deals... https://www.doctorofcredit.com/roundup-recently-dead-deals-gamestop-alliant-giftcardmart-mpx/

Ah! Re GameStop>Amazon. A lot of my local stores pulled Amazon and Kindle gift cards from their shelves a looooong time ago. Amazon credit is about as good as cash, and Amazon is basically everyone's competition (GameStop included). I had even read that the POS was even hardcoded against Amazon, and/or that Amazon gift cards were removed from the system. I totally forgot about the Amazon Cash angle.

Conceivably, someone could have bought GameStop gift cards using MPX for 5 UA miles/$ +25% bonus + 5x MR (or something similar), then taken the GS GC in for a 1:1 exchange to Amazon. By contrast, buying Amazon straight from MPX would've gotten only 0.5 UA miles/$. Ah well. I doubt I would've bothered because I hate doing GC>GC at GameStop, but it would've definitely been lucrative.

Someone just started a discussion on the budget board about the cost of hobbies... I am such a nerd, my hobbies are credit card bonuses and bank account bonuses. And I'm a very lucky nerd because this makes money!

If only I could LIKE this post again...sometimes I think/wonder if it's kind of sad that one of my biggest hobbies (which are few to begin with) is travel hacking lol :rolleyes1

yeah, i think i'm alone on my end being the one that likes bigger bonuses. i.e. i'm the only one here doing the 120k bonus.

I will jump on bigger bonuses and have in the past (I did the 1K/10K CapOne Spark offer) when they make sense. In the case of Marriott, I would have gone with the 120K as well if we were not in 2P mode because I want to combine the free nights for any possible weekend trips and obviously, 150K for 6K sense makes more sense in that respect. I tend to think bigger bonuses has the advantage of keeping the 'lull' period (where you may be planning your next move, etc.) still worthwhile by earning more on organic spend. Like @SouthFayetteFan, I calculate an overall return when making the determination on 'what's my next card' and 'which card to use', so I find bigger bonuses advantageous during pre-planning stages, which more often than not, can be an extended period if you are lol/24 or can get through the MSR quickly since most of us aren't traveling full time (churn and burn) :-)

Question-Is the SW Business part of the 5/24? Also, will it show on credit report? Will it count for an open account if I go for the CSP/CSR down the road?

Question-Is the SW Business part of the 5/24? Also, will it show on credit report? Will it count for an open account if I go for the CSP/CSR down the road?
You do need to be under 5/24 to apply but it will not count towards 5/24, like the CIP and will not be on your personal credit report.

A report of CIP coding as cash advance on Plastiq over on r/churning, don't want to freak anyone out but might be something to keep an eye on. I've asked what they were paying, will update if they respond. https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7yutif/daily_discussion_thread_february_20_2018/dujzb7m/
My mortgage just processed yesterday using my CIP and plastiq. How would I know if it was being processed as a cash advance? Still pending at this point.

Dance tuition set to go tomorrow but using Amex for that.

Looks like amex platinum has a 100,000 point bonus if you are targeted for the offer, which I am not.

For those interested in bank bonuses:

DoC just shared that you can now open the Chase $500 checking + savings offer online: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7z1rcm/chase_300_checking_200_savings_bonus_online/

Unfortunately for those not near a Chase branch this won't work. AND that's the only reason I was excited to see it online, it's not terribly hard to go in and open this in branch if you live near one haha. I will comment that if you're traveling to an area with Chase branches you can open in person even if you don't live nearby. I did this on a business trip to Cleveland last year (live in Pittsburgh). If you aren't into bank account bonuses yet - might be worth checking out. It's a pretty nice way to earn some additional cash!

This board moves sooooo fast!

I read everyone's input and while I now see the merit of holding out for the 35,000 SPG points, if I don't get a new card soon I have nothing to put my expenses toward so I went ahead and applied for the SPG card.

But I JUST applied for the AmEx Gold Business card in January and I'm a little worried about how to explain my need for this one. In the past, activating credit cards consisted of an automated phone call, but when I called to activate this last one I talked to a person, who asked quite a few questions about my "business." Ostensibly he was trying to help me decide what to put as my triple points category (or whatever it is) but it sure felt like he was grilling me. The conversation went fine, but it might be a little trickier explaining my need for a second business card within two months.

I think this will be the last business card I get for a while. Next month I'll be 4/24 and I'll start working on a Chase card.

I read everyone's input and while I now see the merit of holding out for the 35,000 SPG points, if I don't get a new card soon I have nothing to put my expenses toward so I went ahead and applied for the SPG card.

But I JUST applied for the AmEx Gold Business card in January and I'm a little worried about how to explain my need for this one. In the past, activating credit cards consisted of an automated phone call, but when I called to activate this last one I talked to a person, who asked quite a few questions about my "business." Ostensibly he was trying to help me decide what to put as my triple points category (or whatever it is) but it sure felt like he was grilling me. The conversation went fine, but it might be a little trickier explaining my need for a second business card within two months.

I think this will be the last business card I get for a while. Next month I'll be 4/24 and I'll start working on a Chase card.
Just so you're aware I think that call you experienced was purely an AMEX Biz Gold Rewards thing. I had the same experience activating mine and my wife's - it's because of the 3x category. AND it happens after you have the card in hand so it has no bearing on your approval so don't sweat it.

I've gotten 6 AMEX Biz cards and that's the only time I've had to talk to somebody. Also I'd advise you just activate online if given that option - no need to even pick up the phone :D

It sounds like you got approved from your comment so CONGRATS! :banana::cool1::thumbsup2

I’m pretty sure I activated my BGR online... I don’t think I’ve talked to any Amex reps, only used the chat feature.

Amex doesn't always hard pull credit for cards if you're already a customer. No one has established a pattern on this. I think (am not sure) that if you already have an existing relationship with a company they can continue to soft pull your credit report even when it is frozen (and I mean frozen, not fraud alert).
I just got the SPG biz (already have Hilton & SPG personal) When I filled out the application I don’t even remember being asked type of business or revenue. It did ask me to log in but not a lot after that...

Goodness gracious - I was traveling at the beginning of the month and have been busy at work - this thread moves so quick it has taken me days and days to catch up.

I just pulled the trigger on the CIP. I'm relatively new to this game, and don't have a lot of time/mental energy to devote to this, so I'm concentrating on maximizing UR with organic spend - so I'll get some benefits, but I'm going be doing the suites to Singapore anytime soon...

Good sign up bonus, and seems like a useful card - maybe even more useful when I can PC to the CIC in a year (lots of the CIP benefits overlap my CSR, but the sign up was worth it!) So I'm still at 3/24, with one app dropping off in April. Thinking I will pick up the Freedom for the trifecta either in March or in April, which will leave me still at 3/24 once my oldest one drops off.

I have a Marriott rewards card and a Disney Premier Visa that I'm thinking of getting rid of. I have a decent stash of Marriott rewards points, but my Platinum status ends this month (which was more useful as a match at Starwood hotels than at Marriott, honestly) and it isn't really worth the effort to try to maintain Gold status with them (as I said, focusing on UR earning cards). I may go to the no fee Disney card (mostly because the card is cute... but other than the extra 1% on grocery spend, the Premier doesn't do me much good). Not worried about my credit score - don't carry any debt, so no ratio of debt to credit to be concerned with - any other reason I shouldn't ditch these 2 cards? (Both were opened in 2016, so well beyond a year)

:wave2: from someone who is doing Singapore Suites soon. If you are playing this game slow and steady, and can easily hang tight under 5/24, I'd see no reason not to pick up the Freedom and start earning 5x asap considering your goal is UR. Normally, I wouldn't recommend wasting the 5/24 spot on the Freedom. But if you aren't in need of a different co-brand Chase card. Go for it.

If you are likely able to churn the Marriott down the line, by staying under 5/24, then no need to keep it. Those who know they are or will be forever LOL/24 need to weigh the pros and cons.

Obviously you know your strategy better than any of us. Some people won't use a 5/24 slot on Freedom, others consider it to be worth it. I'm in the camp that I plan to use 5/24 slots on Freedom and Freedom Unlimited because I want the max number of URs.

You could downgrade your Disney premium to the regular card to keep it open. However, that won't get you the $200 statement credit offer which is available thru the referral links circulating currently. The question there is - is a $200 stmt credit worth a 5/24 slot - again that's a personal decision.

Lastly, the Marriott rewards is fairly simple - is the annual fee worth the free night (do you have a use for the free night?). If the answer is no then ditch it (I did). If the answer is yes keep it (many do). Keep in mind that free night is only good at a cat 1-5 property. Also if you plan to cancel, wait for the free night to post first then cancel. You get to keep the free night :)

Let us know what you end up deciding to do - always love to hear somebody's ultimate decision and logic behind it.

That is one of the reasons we keep our Marriott cards. We always use the free nights at WDW for an extra weekend get away when we've made last minute plans and there are no DVC rooms to be had or want to save some DVC points. Fortunately, there are 3 Marriott properties near WDW that are Cat 4 and Cat 5. If those properties were ever to go above cat 5, we'd cancel our Marriott cards. The other reason is because DH and I are LOL/24. There will be no churning of Chase cards.

That's exactly why I'm thinking of ditching Marriott- I can use a category 5 free night now and again, but around me its not hard to find one for less than $100 on a weekend (and if I'm staying at a hotel during the week, its usually on the company's dime) and I have enough Marriott points for something like 10 Cat 5 nights at this point (and will likely bank more points just from hotel stays for work), so paying an AF for one more Cat 5 night doesn't make a lot of sense. If it was a night at ANY Marriott, that would be a different story!

Perfect situation for not keeping a Marriott card.

:wave2: from someone who is doing Singapore Suites soon. If you are playing this game slow and steady, and can easily hang tight under 5/24, I'd see no reason not to pick up the Freedom and start earning 5x asap considering your goal is UR. Normally, I wouldn't recommend wasting the 5/24 spot on the Freedom. But if you aren't in need of a different co-brand Chase card. Go for it.

If you are likely able to churn the Marriott down the line, by staying under 5/24, then no need to keep it. Those who know they are or will be forever LOL/24 need to weigh the pros and cons.

That is one of the reasons we keep our Marriott cards. We always use the free nights at WDW for an extra weekend get away when we've made last minute plans and there are no DVC rooms to be had or want to save some DVC points. Fortunately, there are 3 Marriott properties near WDW that are Cat 4 and Cat 5. If those properties were ever to go above cat 5, we'd cancel our Marriott cards. The other reason is because DH and I are LOL/24. There will be no churning of Chase cards.

Perfect situation for not keeping a Marriott card.
Fantastic advice as always @calypso726 :D

I just got the SPG biz (already have Hilton & SPG personal) When I filled out the application I don’t even remember being asked type of business or revenue. It did ask me to log in but not a lot after that...
You know I don't think they asked me that either... it's like Amex is happy to take annual fee$, late fee$ and interest payment$ from individuals or businesses alike...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!