I need help! back to back or something else?

We did B2B a two years ago and while it was awesome to be getting back on while everyone else was getting off, we found it amusing and a bit disappointing that the cruise director's opening night monologue was verbatim what it had been our "first" night (i.e. the first cruise). I guess I should have seen that coming, but it's almost like seeing how a magic trick is done. Oh well. There were a couple other minor things like that. We did skip a couple of the showtimes (didn't need to see Golden Mickeys twice...).

The pluses were that we already knew our stateroom host and dining team, so we just rolled along with them. And we'd gotten to know some other cast members and (importantly) bartenders!

It was totally worth it and we'd do it again any time.

Lots of good stuff on here. We did B2B once, and we are planning another for Fall'21.
Yes, the morning of the turnaround day is kind of a waste, but show up late for breakfast and take your time. You don't need to worry about your luggage, and you get on the ship first (after Concierge) so, even though many things are closed, if-you-have-a-plan, it can be fun then too (e.g, the waterslide).

If you love the shows, here's a tip:
The performers are often the character wranglers, and yes, they will talk to you about what parts they played in each show . . . and they truly appreciate the recognition and appreciation. They are cast members too, so they are hired partly for their ability to interact with passengers!

With a bit of detective work and polite conversation, you will be able to find out who plays Anna, Elsa, Olaf, etc. and get to talk to most of the actors 1:1 . . . They are so talented! Even more exciting, you will get to see them again in their 2nd performance, and appreciate all they do to make your cruise so magical.

A couple of pro tips for B2B sailing we found (and used!):
- If at all possible, book the same rooms for both sailings. If you can't, it's not a big deal, your stateroom host(ess) will move your stuff for you, but you would need to "pack" it up first.
- As the previous poster mentioned, the debarkation schedule doesn't totally apply to you - last breakfast, last off the boat.
- Usually you are asked to chill in a lounge until the last few are off the boat, then you disembark (required by law) to the concierge lounge or other designated area of the port. You MUST bring the little orange card (or whatever color they make it) with you to get back on before everyone else.
- If you did get the same rooms back to back, the "room aren't open until 2" doesn't apply to you. You can go back to your room once you have your new KTTW cards (before you re-board).
- You can knock out lunch at Cabana's early, since you'll be on before anyone else. You can also grab some pool time (usually only one is open) or just chill and wait for the rest of the folks to board.
- Usually only one (if any) of the grab and go food places are open, so plan accordingly.
- You will have to do the life boat drill again, so no napping through it! We had the crew go looking for a family on ours...
- You should bring any meds, passports, phone, etc in a small day pack with you when you disembark.
- The embarkation officer (handles the B2B folks) is your best friend - they can answer all your questions.

- If you did get the same rooms back to back, the "room aren't open until 2" doesn't apply to you. You can go back to your room once you have your new KTTW cards (before you re-board).
Yes, you do have access to your room, but once the new cruisers start boarding, you are asked to either remain in your room, or stay out of your room, until the rooms are open for everyone.

- You should bring any meds, passports, phone, etc in a small day pack with you when you disembark.

This is important. Also bring something to occupy your time if there is an unexpected delay.

On our first B2B our reboarding was delayed by over half an hour DCL was doing some promotional filming on the ship. They apologized. We were glad we had reading material to help us pass the time.

You won't be reboarding immediately anyway, so you want a plan for how you will spend your time waiting. But make sure your plan includes what you will spend your time doing if things take longer than normal.

On our last cruise, a B2B2B, for the first changeover when we got upstairs into the main terminal they weren't ready for us yet as the computers had not changed over yet. So they could not check us in or let us into the concierge lounge. So we waited in and explored the main terminal room. After about 15 minutes they brought us a copy of the new paper Navigator. After another 15 minutes or so they were able to check us in. Then we waited in the concierge lounge until it was time to reboard.

SW

If it were me (we’ve done 9 DCL cruises) I’d chose the closer port to save on transportation and just the 6 night since it’s your first cruise. I don’t like to do anything less than 5, (but we have). I think that would give you a great taste of DCL. Personally we love onboard activities and my kids never get bored. They love the clubs. We tend to swim early mornings and/or during a show time, especially if it’s a movie or magician. Or if you can catch the show during a matinee, you can see it and still swim at an off peak time when others are watching the evening performance. We don’t go on a cruise to swim in pools though...if we do it’s a bonus. And I love Castaway - I mean way more then a little - we are get off first thing and leave as late as we can kind of family for my favorite 🏖 ever.

If you find that you love it - definitely book the placeholder and do another cruise sooner rather then later. Happy travels.

A note: I’m not sure of your kids ages but on the Magic and Wonder there aren’t many rooms that sleep 5 and they are in the highest category available. We got a 7A navigators balcony for my husband and I and the youngest who was 5 and my older two boys ages 14 and 11 slept in the 11B inside across the hall. It was cheaper and great to have an extra bathroom and the space for Mom and Dad. Funny thing though is that we had different stateroom hosts 😊. You have to be the lead guest in one stateroom and your wife the lead guest in the other stateroom.

Last edited:
We've always found that it feels like there's never enough time to do everything you want on the ship. I think the B2B could be fun. I wouldn't worry about the restaurants/menus. I'd plan at least one night to eat by the pool and watch the funnel vision movie (much less crowded), and I'd book Palo dinner a couple times (1x each cruise). The sea days seem like there won't be enough to do, but if you like relaxing, vs needing constant activity, you'll be fine. A perfect sea day for us would be to sleep as late as the kids will let us, go for breakfast at the dining room that's open, go for a walk around the ship and bring the kids to the kids club. Then get changed and go to cove cafe and/or adult pool. Get dressed and have lunch (either dining room or cabanas), either with or without kids. Then relax on the verandah or deck 4 with an audio book until it's time for dinner. If that's too much down time, there's also ship activities, character meet and greets, and movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter