Hanging up my running shoes

Hi, hopping in late, but have been reading your journal for a while now. I loved seeing your a run/walker and hope to be as speedy as you with it one day. I am also in for Dopey and love that your magic bands are Dopey colors. Wanted to ask a question with you all staying at the Poly do you plan to take the monorail or the bus to the HM & Marathon. I will be staying across the street at SOG and debating if I should walk over and catch the monorail. I keep hearing bus horror stories. As this is my first marathon weekend just trying to get the best plan of attack. Thank you

Glad to have you join in. Welcome! We are planning to use the monorail. Hoping it will make for easy race day transportation. I worry a little because you hear horror stories sometimes about monorail reliability, but we can always use the bus as back-up. We stayed at Shades of Green for our first marathon weekend and had great luck with the bus, so based on my experience, I wouldn't do the extra walking over to catch the monorail. That was 5 years ago, though, so maybe the bus service has gotten worse, but back in 2013, it was great.

Dopey-colored MagicBands! :worship:

Yay magicbands! Not sure if mine have arrived yet but I went with green like Chris.

You and Chris picked out the best two magic band colors.

Yay MagicBands!

Every time I look at them I get happy! :D

Last long runs before a longer than normal taper
Training week 12/4 - 12/10
giphy.gif

We've got plans next weekend to head up to Kansas City to watch a Chiefs game (HEY!! They actually won yesterday!!) and that was originally my planned weekend to do our final Dopey simulation. The following weekend (Christmas already???) is when we leave for our cruise, so really no other options to do long runs, so we just decided we'd have to move things up to this past weekend instead. This turned out to be a tough week for us on a personal level, but the end of the week turned out good, so sometimes you just do the best you can to fit everything in.
giphy.gif

Monday 12/4 - Rest day. We still can't seem to get ourselves back out to the track on Monday evenings. But, I figured with our 4-day Dopey simulation later in the week, it was fine to skip.
Tuesday 12/5 - 4 miles today with 90/30 intervals. At this point we aren't worrying much about pace, just trying to keep moving and get miles logged. Overall pace 11:02.
Wednesday 12/6 - Rest again.
Thursday 12/7 - Kick-off to our last Dopey simulation. Plan to run 3, 6, 10, 20. We again ran 90/30 at a relaxed pace. Overall pace 10:56.
Friday 12/8 - Thursday ended up being a very difficult and long day for us and by the time we got to bed, I was exhausted. When our alarm went off Friday morning, I just didn't have it in me to get up. Plus, of course, I got hit with a cold. Sigh.

23f4b53992a73539d7c99d0b58dd8b5b.gif

Saturday 12/9 - Chris was scheduled to go out and pick up roadside trash with the Kiwanis club, so once he was done with that, we headed out for a later run. It was actually good since it was bitterly cold here on Saturday. We actually got my son to join us for the first 4 miles and once we were out and moving, it ended up being a good run. Chris and I logged our 10 miles doing 90/30 intervals and our overall pace was 11:20. We were actually a bit quicker than that in moving time since when we dropped my son back off by his car, we had to snap a photo and visit a few minutes, so I think moving time was closer to around 11:00 m/m

Sunday 12/10 - It was another cold one, but we managed to get out and started running around 6:30. I can tell you I was dreading this 20-miler, but it ended up being a good run for us. We did really well together and I enjoyed the route we did. When we started struggling a bit (more mental than physical) around mile 13 or so, I spent the next few miles going through all of our Disney plans and that helped the miles flow by. We ran the last few miles around a park we really like, so that helped as well. We did throw in some extra walk breaks toward the end, but it was one of the better 20-mile runs I've ever had. We finished out with our 90/30 intervals and an overall pace of 12:16.

We spent the rest of the day relaxing around the house and watching football. I made a big pot of chili that was especially tasty on a cold winter day. Today the legs are feeling good, only a little tired in the quads, so I'm definitely feeling good about being ready for Dopey. I wish our taper wasn't so long, but I feel confident we'll have a good race weekend and gather up all.the.medals!

Congrats on having a great 20 miler! I know you've got a lot of other stuff going on (and I was sorry to read that that's persisted), so I bet a better-than-expected run was at least a good distraction, if not a shot in the arm.

Congrats on getting that last 20 miler in. I'm envious of the sunshine in the photos. Hope you have a great cruise. Thanks for the vote of confidence in the bus. Hoping to have a great weekend as well.

Great job handling your peak week!

I'm curious if vacationing during the taper is a good strategy to keep the madness away. If so, I might need to start incorporating prerace vacations. You'll have to let us know!

Way to go on a great weekend of running!! A 10 miler, followed by a 20 miler sounds like death to me right now...you are impressive!!! Have a great week! Hope your cold goes away soon :)

Nice, congrats on your simulation! Hopefully it warms up because I agree it's cold.

Congrats on having a great 20 miler! I know you've got a lot of other stuff going on (and I was sorry to read that that's persisted), so I bet a better-than-expected run was at least a good distraction, if not a shot in the arm.

Congrats on getting that last 20 miler in. I'm envious of the sunshine in the photos. Hope you have a great cruise. Thanks for the vote of confidence in the bus. Hoping to have a great weekend as well.

Taper time! Great job on the 20! I’m doing mine this Sunday.

Sorry you guys had a tough week, but you CRUSHED those runs! You're gonna make Dopey your b:eek:tch!!

That extra-long taper time may pay off, to fresh legs and some amazing races!!

Yay fora great last long run! You guys are going to CRUSH Dopey!
Enjoy your extended taper!

Great work this weekend. Very strong run and you seem more than ready!

Great job handling your peak week!

I'm curious if vacationing during the taper is a good strategy to keep the madness away. If so, I might need to start incorporating prerace vacations. You'll have to let us know!

Way to go on a great weekend of running!! A 10 miler, followed by a 20 miler sounds like death to me right now...you are impressive!!! Have a great week! Hope your cold goes away soon :)

Thanks everyone!! Feels nice to know I'm in taper time. :D

Woohoo!! Way to go on your 20!! You have so many fun things are going to fill up your taper time, before you know it, you'll be in Orlando! :flower1:

Thank you and so true on fun things filling up my time. It's actually stressing me a bit thinking about all the preparation I need to do plus finishing up getting ready for Christmas. ACK! But, those are all awesome things to be stressed about. :D

Congrats on the simulation!!!
Can I also say I really like your hat :)

MY HAT!!!! I love it so much. Preordered it and adore it. It's REALLY warm though. Honestly something I'll only wear to run in on really cold days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!