I really mean it this time!

Thank you! I'm so relieved I was able to follow through. I didn't know about a Bridge to 10K, but I sort of jumped in on Week 4 or 5 of Jeff Galloway's 10K training program. Now I'm on Week 2 of Jeff Galloway's Half-Marathon training program four months in! Not too shabby! A marathon may actually be feasible! It seems so far and out of reach when you're first starting, but once you get in the groove, you'll stay on schedule. Onward and upward! Which program are you working on right now? What is W4D2?

I've encountered a few foot issues over the past few weeks. I wonder if my current shoes are too tight or too loose. I have flat feet and most of the friction seems to arise between the tips of my toes and the shoe. A few of my toenails have recently taken a few hits after I went on a sort-of power spree on a treadmill; I was trying to avoid that. It doesn't happen so much when I run outdoors, which I'm thankfully still able to do. I wonder how I'll train in January and February.

One person suggested taping my foot to the shoe sole or donning thinner socks. These are interesting ideas I might try. I need to push myself to run 7 miles before the end of the week; I'm a bit skeptical.

Week 4, Day 2 of C25K (although I just finished Week 5, Day 3 this morning! 20 minutes straight! Wooohooo!

Hope you can get your foot problems fixed and on the road again!

Congratulations and keep it up! Just a few weeks to go. And don't be discouraged if you miss a week or a day. You can jump right back on easily.

So I kind of fell off the wagon, which I actually didn't expect. I did a four-mile run last week, but never followed up with the subsequent 7-miler with the advent of the holidays, traveling, snow, and sleeping in. The vision hasn't left my mind, though. I know I'll get back on at some point. I actually did a light run barefoot on the treadmill last night, which rendered my feet black and blistered. Not a good idea. Probably will not be doing that again anytime soon. My soles are feeling a bit better today.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I've experienced a few issues regarding shoe fit and protecting my toes. I'm planning on finding and visiting a clinic sometime in the new year to be fitted for shoes. I've had my current shoes for more than a few years and I'm finding this to be serious business!

In the spirit of the celebration of self-determination during the second day of Kwanzaa: If we can dream it, we can do it! Happy Holidays and a phenomenal 2013 to all.

It is easy to fall of the wagon in the Winter I find. But the important thing is that you are picking yourself back up and trying again!

Have a safe and wonderful new year!

Ran 8 miles on the 30th after a two-week hiatus but I was looking over the program again and I really feel I should start the week over. It looks quite rigorous with 5-6-mile runs in the same week aside from the longer runs. Maybe I should start over and build up to 8-mile and 9-mile runs.

I just found your journal and I am in awe. I have always wanted to run aa 6k but I am not runner. I am hoping to complete the C25K this year and reading your journal is very inspring.

I just found your journal and I am in awe. I have always wanted to run aa 6k but I am not runner. I am hoping to complete the C25K this year and reading your journal is very inspiring.
Thank you so much! I didn't think my log was particularly inspirational, but I'm so inspired that you were inspired. I've kind of fallen off the wagon this week. My current running schedule calls for a bit more rigor and time I'm not sure I'm able to commit. I'll figure it out. Remember to go at your own pace and don't be afraid to stop or slow down. Keep yourself in good shape and you will be running a 6K in no time!

Long overdue update: Fell off wagon, decided to go for half-marathon, never registered. Decided that I wanted to completed the full marathon...need to figure out how to do that without being swept (15 minutes/mile). Now running in Newtons with socks to reduce friction and feeling a lot comfier. Goal is currently 2015 WDW Marathon. Need a plan.

EDIT AND OVERHAUL 12/29/15:

It's hard to believe that it's been three and a half years since I took up running. I somehow felt that I might fall off the wagon at some point. I was very excited to have run as much as I did but of course, other priorities (school, life) got in the way. I'm back in school full-time and this upcoming semester should be a little less stressful than previous ones. I'm hoping that it will be the perfect time to pick up where I left off, with a few tweaks. I'm not sure now that I actually want to train my body to endure 26+ miles, but I would at least like to eventually work up to a half-marathon or more in distance running. My focus right now, however, is different. As much as I love cardio, I also want to exercise anaerobically and build a firm body with more physical strength. I'm a bit gym-averse and I like to work out at my own pace. I also want to maintain a healthier diet this year and sleep well. I hope to ban blue light (devices with screens) around bedtime.

My biggest issues have been deciding on a routine instead of being overwhelmed by the wealth of options available online. I want to find something that works for my schedule and is simple enough to follow and sustain. I finally feel ready. Fortunately, for Christmas, I was able to get my sister to compose such a plan. She's really into fitness and wellness, and it was easy to have a conversation with her about some of my quirky preferences. I'm planning on cooking in batches, consuming lots of nutrients, building my frame, and tightening my core safely while still fulfilling my love of cardio (maybe starting the C25K over; it was so fun).

This will serve as my workout journal; I'm want to try to maintain it at least once a week, maybe more often as time allows. This post can be considered a "pre-journey" report of sorts. Thank you to everyone who's been following the thread and offering encouragement!

My friend and I will still be keeping in touch, and I've contacted a few other friends to get involved this time too. They've been working on their own resolutions. I just turned 30 and hoping there's still time to look and feel fabulous in 2016! And just maybe, by this time next year, I'll finally be able (after 7 years) to draw the other pupil on my Epcot Daruma doll to mark the completion of my goal. Fall seven times; stand up eight! :smickey: pluto:

Last edited:
Well, the pre-journey continues. I'm currently in my hometown with family and will commence meal prep and official workout mode upon return to my other home in a week. For now, I suppose, I've been "prepping" myself with

2 30-minute runs on the treadmill this week for cardio
2 2-minute planks
20 knee push-ups (at my friend's behest).

Conclusion: I am weak and have a lot of work to do.

Eating: I haven't really regulated my diet other than ensuring daily consumption of fruit and limiting my intake of sugars and alcohol, and controlling my portions. I sort of feel/guesstimate when my body has had enough. Some of the dishes I've been eating are on the salty side. I've been drinking a lot of water.

I got another 40-minute jog on the treadmill in yesterday and felt great. I also held a 2-minute plank. I was so tired and sleep today I didn't do anything other than a lot of standing and some walking. I had some of my mom's home cooking which was good but did contain fats.

I continued "prepping" myself to begin workout season (Yes, it's procrastinating but it's better than nothing right now) this week with Day 1 of my sister's workout routine: 5 Pushups, 30 Squats, 10 Situps, 20 Lunges, and 5 Pulldowns with jumping on the pull-up bar (This is for people like myself who are not strong enough to complete a pull-up. We jump onto the pull-up bar, suspend ourselves, and slowly lower our bodies. I also threw in one 60-second and two 30-second planks. Yay! I was satisfied that it was "simple" enough for me to complete, but it was still tough. In fact, my muscles were sore for a couple of days afterward. This weekend, I'll do some cardio, and next week, it's serious (I hope).

Well, another quick update. Cooked a large batch of turkey chili with veggies for the week. Now I just have to prep the Cobb salad and scrambles. I actually had a burger and fries yesterday (with freshly squeezed juice!). As far as activity, I got in thirty minutes on the treadmill (it's below freezing outside)--not fantastic but again, better than nothing. LOL.

I made a giant batch of Cobb salad and cornbread yesterday; I also blanched a ton of veggies for snacking throughout the week. I think it was a productive day! I also got workout day 1 in, so I'm in it for real now. Push-ups, pull-downs, sit-ups, lunges, and squats were called for. Those pull-downs are excruciating, especially for someone like myself who has limited upper body strength! I could even feel my core engaging, though, as I jumped and slowly lowered myself to the ground. Even one rep wears me out. I finished day 2 today (yay), which involved a few more pull-downs and lunges and squats. The sit-ups were starting to hurt my tail bone and sacrum, so I actually placed my hands beneath my sacrum and wound up doing bilateral leg lifts to sit-ups instead. That felt a lot better. I added three sets of single-leg lifts / straight leg raises and a minute-long plank, then headed to the treadmill for 30 minutes of cardio (week 1 of the Couch-to-5K). I miss being outside but going out in subzero temperatures for more than a minute is just inhumane to myself. So far, so good...I just hope I can stay on track this year! The dishes turned out tasty and filling! I'm keeping my sister updated on my activity. I also ordered durable BPA-free Tupperware online! It should get here this week. I'm ready to start packing those boxes and making room in the refrigerator!

Yay! Day 3 of Week 1 was completed this morning, although I didn't have time to add cardio today. It's great that I can do these exercises from my own room. Workout was similar to yesterday's: 7 push-ups, 22 lunges, 7 pull-downs (Still tough; do these ever get easier? I've started wearing gloves to save my palm skin!), 15 leg lifts / sit-ups, and 40 squats. Stretched again to try to minimize soreness later. Brunch was salad and late lunch was the turkey chili with cornbread, some sorbet too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter