I said I'd say "I Do", now how do I plan a wedding? David & Zeke 6/10/2019

So, we've looked at a couple of bakeries online. And found the one we will use. Called and talked to them and came up with a design and idea for the wedding cake. It's a 3-tier cake, and we get to choose different flavors for each tier. Now, we are trying to determine which flavors we would like.

Options are:
1) Vanilla w/ Bavarian Cream filling (basic flavor, we're only choosing this as a last resort)
2) Chocolate cake w/ Bavarian Cream filling (we kind of like this one)
3) Red Velvet cake w/ Cream cheese filling (Zeke likes this, I'm not a fan)
4) Marble Cake w/ Chocolate Mousse filling (we both like this one, will probably be bottom tier flavor)
5) Almond Cake w/ Amaretto Mousse filling (we both think this one sounds good, but neither of us has had an almond cake before)
6) Lemon Cake w/ Bavarian Cream & Lemon Puree (neither of us likes this)
7) Vanilla Cake w/ Bavarian Cream & Strawberry Puree (we both like the sound of this, but not sure if it will go over well with the guests)
8) Chocolate Cake w/ Bavarian Cream & Raspberry Puree (same as above, sounds sort of good, but not entirely sure)​

So we are pretty sure we aren't doing flavors 1, 6, 7, or 8. So half of the flavors are gone, and we are pretty sure that bottom tier is flavor 4, so that leaves 3 flavors for 2 tiers. And really, it's just one tier that people will be eating as the top tier will be the "anniversary" cake thing. So, which flavor does everyone think will be the most desired between flavors 2, 3, and 5? Or probably the better question is which of the three flavors should definitely NOT be used?

I like 3 and 5 but would probably go with the red velvet option just because of potential allergies. I love your cake topper too very cute!! I saw that you are having a pool side bbq for your reception meal. Will you be using grills at the sight or ordering in? I think a pool side reception sounds so fun and unique! I’m planning my vow renewal and have found offbeat bride website to be helpful. They have a whole Las Vegas section in wedding themes. Might be worth it to check it out. You can also google wedding planning checklist and you’ll find tons of printables (is that a word?) to help organize!

I like 3 and 5 but would probably go with the red velvet option just because of potential allergies.

I had not even thought of allergies. To my knowledge, no on one the guest list has any allergies, but that is something to keep in mind. Thanks for the thought!

I love your cake topper too very cute!!

Thanks!! I think it will be absolutely perfect, if it is still available in a couple of months. I don't want to buy it quite yet. We ARE getting married, and it WILL be June 10 (no specific reason for the day other than points for Aulani), just not 100% definite we'll manage the whole dream in Vegas yet. I want to get the contract signed and all the related details worked out first before I start buying all the other supporting items.

I saw that you are having a pool side bbq for your reception meal. Will you be using grills at the sight or ordering in? I think a pool side reception sounds so fun and unique!

The plan is to use grills onsite. I am still waiting to hear back from the resort on exactly how many grills they have and where they are located. It won't work well if all the grills are located at the main pool, I want to basically take over one of the small outlying pools for the reception. And thanks for thinking it will be fun and unique. I was hoping so as well. We were talking about different possible ideas for the reception, and it just occurred to me that some of the wedding party will be staying a the resort, and most resorts have grills and the pool and it just kind of expanded from there.

I’m planning my vow renewal and have found offbeat bride website to be helpful. They have a whole Las Vegas section in wedding themes. Might be worth it to check it out. You can also google wedding planning checklist and you’ll find tons of printables (is that a word?) to help organize!

Congratulations on the renewal!! I haven't looked at offbeat bride, but I have signed up with weddingwire.com and theknot.com. Both of them have checklists and budgeters and links to vendors and theknot.com will even host a personalized wedding website. Plus, I can use them to track RSVP's and etc. I'm liking what it is supposed to do, I'm just not quite getting it to do exactly what I need it to do.

Congrats! So happy for you. Just an FYI- i used to work in hotels, and i can pretty much guarantee that glass bottles near a pool will not be allowed at all. This is a health code thing, so plan around what you're serving. Not to put a damper on your planning, just wouldn't want to see your reception ended because of that.

Congrats! So happy for you. Just an FYI- i used to work in hotels, and i can pretty much guarantee that glass bottles near a pool will not be allowed at all. This is a health code thing, so plan around what you're serving. Not to put a damper on your planning, just wouldn't want to see your reception ended because of that.

Thanks!!

From what I can tell by the pictures and resort layout pictures, the pools are all enclosed by wrought iron fences, and the grills and tables are outside the fence near the pool. I'm thinking, as long as all the eating and refreshments are kept near the grill/table, they won't say anything. And we will have red solo cups to use, so if anyone takes a beverage into the pool area, there's no glass involved.

I've been considering. It will be early June, but that is still summer time, in Vegas, in the desert, so it will be HOT. I'm playing with an idea of using a Wal-Mart deli and ordering several sandwich trays instead of grilling burgers.

The general idea is to have the reception from 6 to 8 or 9 pm. We'll start with having the food available (whatever we wind up deciding) and then around 7 or so, cut the cake, have a couple of toasts, and whatever else "has" to happen at the reception, which will then continue for another hour or so as long as people want to hang out and enjoy each others company.

I personally love the sandwich idea and I think Walmart has the best subs! It is cooler and easier for everyone. People can eat what they want when they want and no one would be required to man the grill. Add some chips and salads and it would be awesome.

Thanks!!

From what I can tell by the pictures and resort layout pictures, the pools are all enclosed by wrought iron fences, and the grills and tables are outside the fence near the pool. I'm thinking, as long as all the eating and refreshments are kept near the grill/table, they won't say anything. And we will have red solo cups to use, so if anyone takes a beverage into the pool area, there's no glass involved.

I've been considering. It will be early June, but that is still summer time, in Vegas, in the desert, so it will be HOT. I'm playing with an idea of using a Wal-Mart deli and ordering several sandwich trays instead of grilling burgers.

The general idea is to have the reception from 6 to 8 or 9 pm. We'll start with having the food available (whatever we wind up deciding) and then around 7 or so, cut the cake, have a couple of toasts, and whatever else "has" to happen at the reception, which will then continue for another hour or so as long as people want to hang out and enjoy each others company.

So we are kind of in a bit of a holding pattern for another couple of weeks.

The fiancee has a job. YAY!!! Not the one we preferred, but a job. Waiting through a few pay periods to see if we will be able to afford the wedding we want or have to rethink parts of it.

The bad news is that yesterday while changing the tire on the truck, he threw his back out. Similar, and maybe worse, than what I did 3 years ago. So, he is on doctors orders to not lift, walk, or stand for the next several days or week. So not quite sure how that will impact his job. Boo!!

Anyway, while we are waiting to determine what we'll be able to do, I've been working on other things I can plan.

Here, for your evaluation, is the current music playlist for the reception. It is right at 2 hours as is, but I am sure I will add a few more songs. I'm shooting for about 2 1/2 hours total. I may change out a few of the songs, but I'm liking it so far.

1. Your Song (Moulin Rouge Soundtrack)
  2. Love Is An Open Door (Frozen Soundtrack)
  3. Peaceful Easy Feeling (Eagles)
  4. Set It All Free (Sing Soundtrack)
  5. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (Song of the South)
  6. All Star (Smash Mouth)
  7. How Far I'll Go (Moana soundtrack)
  8. How Far I'll Go (Reprise) (Moana Soundtrack)
  9. Last Train to Clarksville (the Monkees)
  10. Thunder (Imagine Dragons)
  11. Hotel California (Eagles)
  12. Whistle Stop (Robin Hood soundtrack)
  13. Believer (Imagine Dragons)
  14. Daydream Believer (the Monkees)
  15. Shake it Off (Sing soundtrack)
  16. Take It Easy (Eagles)
  17. Kiss the Girl (Little Mermaid soundtrack)
  18. When You Say Nothing At All (Keith Whitley)
  19. Don't You (Forget About Me) (The Breakfast Club soundtrack)
  20. I'm a Believer (the Monkees)
  21. Elephant Love Medley (Moulin Rouge soundtrack)
  22. Tequila Sunrise (Eagles)
  23. Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
  24. We Know the Way (Moana Soundtrack)
  25. We Know the Way (Finale) (Moana Soundtrack)
  26. Feel it Still (Portugal. The Man)
  27. Breakfast at Tiffanys (Deep Blue Something)
  28. Soarin' (from Soarin' Over California)
  29. Here I Go Again (Whitesnake)
  30. Smooth (Santana)
  31. Bad Romance (Lady Gaga)
  32. I'm Still Standing (Sing soundtrack)
  33. Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
  34. Your Song (Moulin Rouge soundtrack)

If we get everything we want for the ceremony, then "Your Song" will be Our Song and the Bellagio Fountain will dance to it at the kiss during the wedding. I prefer the Ewan McGregor version from Moulin Rouge, though, so we are opening and closing the official reception list with that one.

Ok, so it has been a while. Not much has changed. Still hoping to celebrate next summer. We may move the actual marriage up to either this fall (for tax purposes) or next spring (for health reasons).

About the only real change has been to the reception play list. This is the current list so far.

1. Your Song (Moulin Rouge Soundtrack)
  2. Love Is An Open Door (Frozen Soundtrack)
  3. Peaceful Easy Feeling (Eagles)
  4. Teenage Dream (Glee Cast Version)
  5. Set It All Free (Sing Soundtrack) - removed for the moment
  6. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (Song of the South)
  7. All Star (Smash Mouth)
  8. How Far I'll Go (Moana soundtrack)
  9. How Far I'll Go (Reprise) (Moana Soundtrack)
  10. Last Train to Clarksville (the Monkees)
  11. Thunder (Imagine Dragons)
  12. Hotel California (Eagles)
  13. Whistle Stop (Robin Hood soundtrack)
  14. Believer (Imagine Dragons)
  15. Daydream Believer (the Monkees)
  16. Shake it Off (Sing soundtrack) - removed for the moment
  17. Don't Stop Believin' (Glee Cast Version)
  18. Take It Easy (Eagles)
  19. Kiss the Girl (Little Mermaid soundtrack)
  20. When You Say Nothing At All (Alison Krauss and Union Station)
  21. Don't You (Forget About Me) (The Breakfast Club soundtrack)
  22. I'm a Believer (the Monkees)
  23. Elephant Love Medley (Moulin Rouge soundtrack)
  24. Come What May(Moulin Rouge soundtrack)
  25. Tequila Sunrise (Eagles)
  26. Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
  27. We Know the Way (Moana Soundtrack)
  28. We Know the Way (Finale) (Moana Soundtrack)
  29. Heaven is a Place on Earth (Belinda Carlisle) - debating on keeping this one
  30. Feel it Still (Portugal. The Man)
  31. The Joker (The Steve Miller Band)
  32. Breakfast at Tiffanys (Deep Blue Something)
  33. Soarin' (from Soarin' Over California)
  34. More Than Words (Extreme)
  35. Here I Go Again (Whitesnake) - debating on removing this one
  36. Happy Together (The Turtles)
  37. Smooth (Santana)
  38. Bad Romance (Lady Gaga)
  39. I'm Still Standing (Sing soundtrack) - removed for the moment
  40. Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
  41. Is This Love (Whitesnake)
  42. Iris (The Goo Goo Dolls)
  43. Your Song (Moulin Rouge soundtrack)
This puts the total play list at about 2 hours and 45 minutes, and we will take a break between the "Elephant Love Medley" and "Come What May" for the cake cutting and toast. So, anticipating about 3 hours total for the reception.

My two questions for anyone interested, 1) can you tell we like musicals? and 2) does anyone see any obvious problems with this list?

Hi there! Looks like you missed one teeny, tiny, little detail. The marriage license. Eek! Make sure to get down to Florida with enough time to swing by the courthouse and pick this up at the courthouse. Another (better) option is to avoid this altogether and contract a third party "middle man" to apply for you by proxy. Check out Marriage by Mail (marriagebymail.com). They'll apply for you and have the license mailed directly to your officiant before you travel to Florida. :)

Last edited:
Following along! I love your music selection. It's a great mix of songs :music: Your bullet points are also speaking to me. I'm such a type-A planner that I bullet point everything, including my everyday life lol

Hi there! Looks like you missed one teeny, tiny, little detail. The marriage license. Eek! Make sure to get down to Florida with enough time to swing by the courthouse and pick this up at the courthouse. Another (better) option is to avoid this altogether and contract a third party "middle man" to apply for you by proxy. Check out Marriage by Mail (marriagebymail.com). They'll apply for you and have the license mailed directly to your officiant before you travel to Florida. :)

Thanks. The Vegas package that we are looking at purchasing includes transportation to the wedding bureau and back before the ceremony. We have also considered having a smaller ceremony here so my mother can join us, and then do a larger celebration ceremony in Vegas for friends and family that are able to travel.

Following along! I love your music selection. It's a great mix of songs :music: Your bullet points are also speaking to me. I'm such a type-A planner that I bullet point everything, including my everyday life lol

Thank you. The music selection goes through minor edits still, but is mostly set. And yeah, I'm a type A.5 personality? I am not so driven to be a full type A, but I have many of the obsessive compulsive traits. I love bullet points and outlines. They make my life so much more manageable for me.

I am almost for absolute certain this will never happen.

Thank everyone for the kind thoughts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!