I think my state’s travel ban is forcing us to cancel....anyone else?

mala55

Mouseketeer
Our state (MA) is putting in place a travel ban as of August 1, where all people entering the state (except from a handful of exempt states..not FL), including returning residents must quarantine for 2 weeks or face a fine if $500. After already cancelling two booked trips to Disney, we thought we would instead go to Universal. We have been once and loved it and thought we could do it in a shorter amount of time than Disney and more hassle free. My DD’s 14th bday is in October so we planned a long weekend and were also hoping for the HHN too. We can’t afford to be out of work and school for two weeks when we get back home. We could get COVID tests instead, but that is still at least 3 days depending on scheduling and receiving results. Not sure how all of this will be enforced, but I guess it’s for our safety and the greater good and we will comply.

Alas, we will have to cancel. It’s a bust. Still need to break the news to my DD and nephew. They will be super disappointed.

Anyone else in the same predicament,

Last edited:
welcome to my world... sigh... there have been travel bans since March for my country. The Irish Government is still advising against non essential travel. They have published a list of countries that people returning from don't have to quarantine. HOWEVER as the official Irish Government advice is still do not leave the island for non essential travel, it makes travel insurance void.

People are not realizing that while they don't have to quarantine when they return from Italy or Greece, they do not have medical or cancellation or travel disruption insurance while they are on holiday in Italy or Greece.

Hi, greetings from France, where, like our Irish neighbor above, we are banned from entering the US until further notice
august trip cancelled (3 weeks universal ...)
I'm so glad UO customer services were very helpful and amazing in helping with our APs

As many people here in europe, we really don't know when we will be able to return.

So far, we are considering that 2022 will be the earliest we can plan for.
We used to come every year, somtimes several times a year. Taking a break is rough.

No way to know what things will be like in October at this point, I d probably wait to make that decision October first but set the expectation it's pretty likely

The travel ban has already been there for quite some time; they just aren't enforcing it with a fine until August 1st.

Guess I'm glad to hear the fine system is working as intended, though.

We're in MA as well. We had a trip planned for the end of August and I cancelled it just before the new restrictions were announced. The new option to provide a negative test result instead of self quarantining MIGHT have swayed us to keep the reservation for a little longer. But I'm pretty sure we would have ended up cancelling anyway. I'm definitely disappointed, but also relieved. Trying to get a trip in this year has just felt kind of sad...only half planning for a Disney trip because we knew it probably wouldn't happen...it's a depressing thing to do to yourself, especially in the midst of everything else going on. The family is disappointed, but I figured we would put this year's vacation budget towards a DVC purchase and start planning for next year. That helps!

We are from NY, so need to quarantine there and back. We cancelled our trip next week and rescheduled to December. I am going to hold onto that hope until Halloween and then make a decision. Luckily I only have my husband and myself to disappoint.

Very frustrating. I'm going to have to cancel my annual pass which I have had for 10 years. Can't visit because I would have to quarantine in Florida for 14 days and then 14 days back here in New York. So just visiting for one day would legally require me to quarantine for 30 days. Universal is not helping out at all.

The travel ban has already been there for quite some time; they just aren't enforcing it with a fine until August 1st.

Guess I'm glad to hear the fine system is working as intended, though.

Was just coming to say this as well - we are in MA near the RI border. The self quarantining has been in place for a while now, they're just enforcing it with a penalty.

We had spitballed the idea of going to Universal in October but decided that there are just too many unknowns to commit to a trip. The rate of new positive cases in FL is a deterrent all by itself. But even if it weren't, theoretically we could still self quarantine when we got back because we are both working from home, but with things so up in the air about school being virtual vs in person, I can't justify bringing my kids down and then having them quarantine when we got back. Currently we have a trip booked for next February but I fully expect that we may kick that down the field further as we see how things progress over the winter.

How is Universal not helping out at all?
Have you reached out to them about doing something with your AP?
In my experience they have been very helpful during this time
I have reached out 2x to the AP customer service phone number and the CSR shot me down. Any ideas who to contact?

TIA

I have reached out 2x to the AP customer service phone number and the CSR shot me down. Any ideas who to contact?

TIA

Contacted universal by email GuestServices@universalorlando.com
explained our situation and how we wouldn't be able to use our AP in a foreseeable future (= before it expires)
They cancelled our AP, and gave us a case number to get a brand new AP, free of charge, valid for the duration that remained on our AP, and redeemable without time limit. So we could essentially go back in 5 years and get our AP back, in the state it was when the parks closed (duration left on it, tier, perks and restrictions)

There are so many reports on forums, of people who have been issued that kind of offer. Based on how many months were left on their AP.

Universal has been amazing at dealing with their AP holders.

Of course this depends on how much the AP was used before the lockdown.
Someone who only used their AP for a couple of entries, and had 10 months left on their APs when the parks went dark, will get a better offer compared to someone who visited 20 times on their AP and had just a couple of weeks left on it when closure happened

We're in NY. Currently, we'd have to quarantine for two weeks upon arriving in FL AND quarantine for two weeks upon arriving home in NY. Of course, this is not feasible. However, our trip is in late October and I'm planning to wait as long as possible to cancel. We've all seen how quickly things can change within 2-3 months at the start of this, so who's to say some of these travel bans won't be lifted by then. The bans are doing a number on local economies so at some point, when things are more contained, they'll need to strike a balance between keeping cases at bay and economic recovery.

I know cancelling a trip is disappointing but Now is not the best time to visit the parks anyway. The experience is so reduced, you wont get the same fun you're use to. It will a better visit when the pandemic is over and the parks a can offer everything we know and love them for.

We're in NY. Currently, we'd have to quarantine for two weeks upon arriving in FL AND quarantine for two weeks upon arriving home in NY. Of course, this is not feasible. However, our trip is in late October and I'm planning to wait as long as possible to cancel. We've all seen how quickly things can change within 2-3 months at the start of this, so who's to say some of these travel bans won't be lifted by then. The bans are doing a number on local economies so at some point, when things are more contained, they'll need to strike a balance between keeping cases at bay and economic recovery.
Agreed - the information is changing constantly, although I feel they are digging their heels in and dont want to contradict themselves anymore regardless of the information in the rest of the world.
Everyone has been wrong as much as they have been right - so who knows come October first or even September 1st where things will be.

I know cancelling a trip is disappointing but Now is not the best time to visit the parks anyway. The experience is so reduced, you wont get the same fun you're use to. It will a better visit when the pandemic is over and the parks a can offer everything we know and love them for.
Id agree with this for Disney but not so much for Universal other than the loss of HHN.
The only reason Id consider Disney without park hopping is the low crowds.

The experience is so reduced, you wont get the same fun you're use to.
This is true for a lot of people. But from DH and I's perspective, there is no value lost. We are not into characters, we typically don't do the theater shows or evening shows, and we rarely take advantage of EMH. To us, the low park crowds, shortened hours which allows us to sleep in, and not having to be on our phones to make FP+ sounds like a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter