I want to be a runner!

eisforpants

Mouseketeer
Anyways, I think I do. My Facebook feed blows up when there is a race in town and it looks like so much fun. Plus I'd like to run at Disney at some point.

Unfortunately, I have my work cut out for me. I haven't exercised in years, I'm about 150 pounds overweight and I smoke.

Day 2: 12/02/13

Yesterday I stretched for 10 minutes, then later I stretched for 10 more minutes and did 2 sets of 10 sit ups. It was hard for me but I did it!

Today I will stretch again when I come home from work and do another set of sit ups. Maybe I can do 25 today? Who knows?

Today I'm going to concentrate on my water intake. When I get to work ill fill up my water glass and instead of letting it sit there all day, I'll actually drink it. I'd like to be able to eventually get up to drinking a glass an hour, but for today I'll be happy with one glass in the morning and one after lunch.

Can you walk a little? Even just down to the end of the driveway and back to start? Stretching will loosen you up but won't do much more than that. Walking burns a few calories at least.

Congratulations on deciding to take some first steps! I'm 63(just) and have lost 50 pounds in the last 15 months. I started running in May with the Couch to 5k program. Now I've done 3 5ks, am signed up for the 5 and 10ks in February and ran just over 9 miles last week. I'm very slow but I'm moving! You can too if you can hold on to your motivation. Some days it's hard but I wish I'd done this years ago!

Thank you for your response apple orchard! Yes, I can walk and I do plan on walking with my son soon. For now, I am trying to just do something no matter how small every day to get into a routine. congrats on your loss and goals! Im sure it was a struggle at times, but good for you that you didn't give up!! :)

My son has spent the last two nights at his grandparents so DH hasn't been as motivated to do anything in the evenings. He comes back today so maybe we will do something this evening.

I have been drinking more water the last couple days, but still not near enough. Will continue to push that up. I am thinking more and more about what steps I need to take to get healthy, which is good! Usually I shut that out of my mind. Feeling cautiously optimistic that given some time, I can actually do this!!

Keep that goal of doing a race in mind to keep you going!

I ran in high school in the earlier 80's and then stopped. Fast Forward nearly 30 years and I begin running again to do Disney races...including the marathon.

My cousin was about where you are right now weight wise. Her idea of exersizing was rolling out of bed and lifting a fork to her mouth..she laughed at the idea of any sort of movement. Something clicked in her...I think it was watching her kids get older and realizing she wanted to be fit and healthy to enjoy them...plus perhaps a doctors warning.

Perhaps a year and a half ago she began her journey...of building her body up slowly and eating properly. She went to a nutritionist and went to a gym and someone bought her a personal trainer for Christmas last year...Now she is 150lbs lighter and is engaging herself in all sorts of races! This plus she is toned! Her arms have shape and she has a waist.

So you can do it.

I would advice seeking a doctor first though...because you don't want to injure yourself...start from there.

I agree with the walking. While stretching is great...walking is best...but see a doc first!

Let us know how you are doing...again see a doctor first because injury can be caused by being too gung ho about it...

Thank you for your response apple orchard! Yes, I can walk and I do plan on walking with my son soon. For now, I am trying to just do something no matter how small every day to get into a routine. congrats on your loss and goals! Im sure it was a struggle at times, but good for you that you didn't give up!! :)

My son has spent the last two nights at his grandparents so DH hasn't been as motivated to do anything in the evenings. He comes back today so maybe we will do something this evening.

I have been drinking more water the last couple days, but still not near enough. Will continue to push that up. I am thinking more and more about what steps I need to take to get healthy, which is good! Usually I shut that out of my mind. Feeling cautiously optimistic that given some time, I can actually do this!!

Water is always a struggle for me, too. I'm just not a person who really gets thirsty. :/ I've done well the last two days. Hoping this is the year I get more consistent. Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter