I want to know everything about comedy shows on RCCL

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

My husband and I are big fans of comedy shows on Carnival (PG or 18+). We are hoping that they also have comedy shows on RCCL.

Can you tell me how often they have it? Where can I find it in the Cruise Compass? Is it always the same comedians/the same set?

Thanks in advance!

So generally speaking, you won't see the same comedians unless you're cruising more than once on the same ship in a short period of time. Some of the ships (Harmony comes to mind) have a host that does a short set. Generally there's about 2 shows a night. I don't know if they do the same set every time - a good comedian would rotate things in and out each time. Often there's some degree of "oh hey let's make jokes about cruising" which can feel forced and unfunny.

I'm looking through my old cruise compasses and it seems like you'll only see the information in the Daily Planner, as seen in the attached picture. You'll see the comedian, Jim David, and a host, Simeon (who I think is on Symphony now).
(as an aside, I now have a scanner. I should scan all my old Cruise Compasses).

I've found that the best way to figure out the rotating entertainment (feature performer and comedians) is to email guest services about a month before your cruise. That way you can see if the performers have any YouTube videos to get an idea of their style. Also whether to bother going to watch the feature act.

Finally, the nightly sets are unabashedly R rated. There has been an allegedly "family friendly" performance on the last day for my 7 day Oasis-class sailings but I feel that if a comedian is unaccustomed to doing PG material then their set will not work for the "family friendly" show.

Attachments

• CCI_000001 - Copy.jpg
    CCI_000001 - Copy.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 5
So generally speaking, you won't see the same comedians unless you're cruising more than once on the same ship in a short period of time. Some of the ships (Harmony comes to mind) have a host that does a short set. Generally there's about 2 shows a night. I don't know if they do the same set every time - a good comedian would rotate things in and out each time. Often there's some degree of "oh hey let's make jokes about cruising" which can feel forced and unfunny.

I'm looking through my old cruise compasses and it seems like you'll only see the information in the Daily Planner, as seen in the attached picture. You'll see the comedian, Jim David, and a host, Simeon (who I think is on Symphony now).
(as an aside, I now have a scanner. I should scan all my old Cruise Compasses).

I've found that the best way to figure out the rotating entertainment (feature performer and comedians) is to email guest services about a month before your cruise. That way you can see if the performers have any YouTube videos to get an idea of their style. Also whether to bother going to watch the feature act.

Finally, the nightly sets are unabashedly R rated. There has been an allegedly "family friendly" performance on the last day for my 7 day Oasis-class sailings but I feel that if a comedian is unaccustomed to doing PG material then their set will not work for the "family friendly" show.

I see that there is 4 sets at different times. How do you know if they are all different or the same? On Carnival, each set has a title so it's easy to figure out if you've seen it already.

I try not to youtube comedians in advance. I like to be surprised and I'm not easy to offend. :)

There will be a g or pg rated version and an r rated version by the same comedian. You will sometimes have a switch in the middle of the cruise( one leaves another boards)

Depending on ship, you HAVE to make reservations as the venue is quite small

I see that there is 4 sets at different times. How do you know if they are all different or the same? On Carnival, each set has a title so it's easy to figure out if you've seen it already.
The sets are theoretically the same, but comedians tend to vary their sets from show to show as they generally have more material than a set will allow for. It's like going to see U2 more than once and expecting to hear the same playlist every time.

I try not to youtube comedians in advance. I like to be surprised and I'm not easy to offend. :)
I'm also not easily offended, but I like to get an idea of a comedian's POV so that I know what I'm in for.

There will be a g or pg rated version and an r rated version by the same comedian. You will sometimes have a switch in the middle of the cruise( one leaves another boards)

Depending on ship, you HAVE to make reservations as the venue is quite small

Even on the Mariner? I was under the impression that it was not necessary.

Even on the Mariner? I was under the impression that it was not necessary.

No reservations on Mariner.
I'm trying to remember...but I think there might have just been one night when they offered the comedy show since its a shorter sailing. It'll be in the cruise compass.

Finally, the nightly sets are unabashedly R rated.

Agreed.

And from my experience, don't sit close if you might possibly want to leave. The comedian I remember was really calling out audience members for things, including getting up.

It's like going to see U2 more than once and expecting to hear the same playlist every time.

But...they *do* use the same basic set list each tour.

Yeah, the general rule is don’t sit in the front if you don’t want to get mocked.

As for leaving, I think the venues are small enough that anyone leaving is gonna get mocked.

True about the same basic set list.

Agreed.

And from my experience, don't sit close if you might possibly want to leave. The comedian I remember was really calling out audience members for things, including getting up.

But...they *do* use the same basic set list each tour.

Sounds like a typical comedian. I'm used to it. :)

I just got off Mariner yesterday. The comedian experience is pretty different than Carnival. There was only one true comedian. He did a PG set as part of the show on night 1. The show started at 10:15 in the main theater. The CD opened and was amusing. Then there were some singers. Then a 20-30 minute set by the comedian. He was pretty funny. The show ended with some singing and dancing. On nights 2 and 3, there were performers who did some comedy but not true comedians. Night 2 was a juggling act and night 3 was a ventriloquist. Both were entertaining but not top notch comedians. The ventriloquist act actually got old pretty quickly. Both nights also included and intro by the CD and some singing/dancing. The comedian from night 1 did a "late night" set on night 4 that started some time after 11. After a day at Cococay followed by packing to leave the next morning, I didn't make it to that set. I would have liked to see it.

In terms of comedians, I much preferred the setup on the Carnival Dream. It is one of the ships with a dedicated comedy club. Going to those shows felt like going to a comedy club. There were multiple shows per night, including PG and R-rated shows. On Mariner at least, the comedian was one part of a bigger show. As someone who really only cares about the comedian, having a dedicated comedy club was a way better experience for me.

The Oasis class might be better for you in that regard. Oasis and Allure have a dedicated comedy club, and I believe Harmony and Symphony use the nightclub/disco area. Both spots are not that large, and give off a feeling of intimacy (you probably understand what I mean) with the performers.

The Oasis class might be better for you in that regard. Oasis and Allure have a dedicated comedy club, and I believe Harmony and Symphony use the nightclub/disco area. Both spots are not that large, and give off a feeling of intimacy (you probably understand what I mean) with the performers.

For now we are booked on Mariner and Adventure but the Oasis class is 100% on my wish list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter