I will never book VGT again..

Sytrace

DIS Veteran
after our last cruise on the Dream. We ended up with a cabin on Deck 10 forward (and we LOVE Deck 10 forward) but this time it was under Concierge on port side and it sounded like we had tap dancing elephants having a party. Every morning, afternoon and night.
And yes, we did mention it to GS who were very kind but really could not do much about it..evidently, no other room to move to AND it was VGT after all...you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit. :)
They did give us some lovely Sparkling cider, popcorn and a couple of rice krispie treats, which was very sweet and not necessary, but appreciated however.

Bottom line for me? No more GT cabins and I will pay more to choose what I want going forward.

Well, this may happen to us, or may not. I do appreciate the warning.

I've booked VGT 4 times, and 3 times was in a "normal" veranda room with nothing to complain about. The other time I was upgraded to Deluxe Family with an oversized balcony. I'm not disputing your own personal convictions to avoid VGT, but, you could have had that same experience had you picked your own cabin (noisy neighbors etc)

I've booked VGT 4 times, and 3 times was in a "normal" veranda room with nothing to complain about. The other time I was upgraded to Deluxe Family with an oversized balcony. I'm not disputing your own personal convictions to avoid VGT, but, you could have had that same experience had you picked your own cabin (noisy neighbors etc)

I had previously booked VGT 3 other times (even as recently as April this year) and always been thrilled with what we got. We always choose Deck 10 forward on starboard side (super quiet and under the Rainforest at the end of the hallway next to the Captain/crew cabin) And when I saw that we had been given the cabin we were, I was okay with it because it was still forward on deck 10 AND I just imagined that Concierge might actually be quiet as well. Nope.
I can and actually have dealt with noisy neighbors (even on deck 10 forward starboard side of course) but I have never actually been disturbed by running or heavy footed tap dancing elephants above me in that location. :)

It is after all a ship with many people on board, but if I have to pay a bit more to avoid elephants and loud footsteps over my head I sure will.

So other than booking a room right under the spa (and we’ve had noise issues under the gym) where else would you book to avoid being under someone’s stateroom?

I’ve always thought it was best to be under someone’s stateroom. Yeah you might get a loud family, but all the other common areas have hundreds of people going through them and moving chairs/playing music. We were under one of the lounges once and it was really noisy and we had a water leak from the bar refrigerator lines.

Just curious what you would shoot for to avoid noise - I’d love to do the same.

Well, this may happen to us, or may not. I do appreciate the warning.
We've done the VGT 3 times. Everytime we've had a midship (or midship/aft) room (twice on deck 9, once on deck 10). All 4A category. They were (for the most part) great.

So other than booking a room right under the spa (and we’ve had noise issues under the gym) where else would you book to avoid being under someone’s stateroom?

Typically the thought is - book a room between stateroom decks. Not above/below public areas. I'd say is fairly uncommon for those rooms between stateroom decks to have major noise issues.

I’ve always thought it was best to be under someone’s stateroom. Yeah you might get a loud family, but all the other common areas have hundreds of people going through them and moving chairs/playing music. We were under one of the lounges once and it was really noisy and we had a water leak from the bar refrigerator lines.

Exactly what I was thinking. You can be under “a family of tap dancing elephants having a party” (great visual) anywhere on the ship. With any stateroom VGT or not you’re rolling the dice.

Martin

Exactly what I was thinking. You can be under “a family of tap dancing elephants having a party” (great visual) anywhere on the ship. With any stateroom VGT or not you’re rolling the dice.

Martin
Yeah, our deck 9 room (between two stateroom decks) was massively noisier than our deck 10 room (under the entrance to the Aarcade/Cabanas) was.

Problem was the connecting rooms on both sides of us who had kids (at least I hope they were kids) who would run laps through the connecting doors/verandah doors. And the group on the deck above us who ran foot races anytime they had to get from one end of the passageway to the other every day (and night).

I liked our rooms on our one VGT sailing. I rolled the dice booking a room w/ two and one for three for our family of 5 and they ended up being connecting. I knew they might not be and was prepared for that. I was thrilled when I found out they were connecting verandas on floor 5 w/ the extended balcony. What I didn't like was that we got late dining and they put us in a weird table location. Honestly we've been on 4 Disney Cruises now and this one was the worst table location by far in all the dining rooms. It made me feel like with a VGT booking you seem to just get the leftovers. Because of this I likely won't book VGT again, but for us room location was not the reason.

Bummer about all the noise but I hope you still enjoyed your cruise.

I liked our rooms on our one VGT sailing. I rolled the dice booking a room w/ two and one for three for our family of 5 and they ended up being connecting. I knew they might not be and was prepared for that. I was thrilled when I found out they were connecting verandas on floor 5 w/ the extended balcony. What I didn't like was that we got late dining and they put us in a weird table location. Honestly we've been on 4 Disney Cruises now and this one was the worst table location by far in all the dining rooms. It made me feel like with a VGT booking you seem to just get the leftovers. Because of this I likely won't book VGT again, but for us room location was not the reason.

Bummer about all the noise but I hope you still enjoyed your cruise.
Oh, of course I did. I was just surprised by how noisy it was.

after our last cruise on the Dream. We ended up with a cabin on Deck 10 forward (and we LOVE Deck 10 forward) but this time it was under Concierge on port side and it sounded like we had tap dancing elephants having a party. Every morning, afternoon and night.
And yes, we did mention it to GS who were very kind but really could not do much about it..evidently, no other room to move to AND it was VGT after all...you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit. :)
They did give us some lovely Sparkling cider, popcorn and a couple of rice krispie treats, which was very sweet and not necessary, but appreciated however.

Bottom line for me? No more GT cabins and I will pay more to choose what I want going forward.
You said you love deck 10 forward and you got deck 10 toward. Sounds like you just got some bad guests above you.

I've probably booked with GT rates 12 times. I've never had a bad room or dining table.

I think that the issue is that they felt they had no recourse. They couldn’t call and get changed before sailing bc of of the rate. And they couldn’t be moved once on the ship bc it was, I assume, a sold out sailing.

I think that the issue is that they felt they had no recourse. They couldn’t call and get changed before sailing bc of of the rate. And they couldn’t be moved once on the ship bc it was, I assume, a sold out sailing.

Though in all fairness, before the sailing they had no way to know there was going to be a noisy family above them. They could have selected that room themselves and still had the family above them.

And ANY cruise can be sold out where you cannot change cabins, not just cruises where you booked VGT. So really this situation could have happened with a cabin booked on Opening Day and selected for any number of reasons. It wasn't because they booked VGT.

I simply will never book deck 10 again! Been there in 10604. Great room and proximity but you hear overhead noises from chairs moving to things being moved during the day.

Our cruise last month on The Fantasy, we had a connecting room with our daughter on deck 7 ( a Florida resident rate).
The noise from above us was ridiculous, we heard it and my daughter could also hear it. These people were jumping and dancing day and night.
In 16 cruises that was the worst noise from above ever, kids running down the hall is nothing compared to these rowdy people.

I'm sorry you had the same back luck we did, I guess carrying earplugs could help if you're an unlucky one.

I don't book the GT rooms because I'm kind of picky about the cabin location. But really what happened here could just as easily happen to me in a room that I carefully chose. I try to book a room between 2 staterooms so we don't hear the pool deck furniture being moved. I guess we all take a chance that we won't be under the noisy family... and if the cruise is sold out there really isn't anything they can do to move us. :(

I don't book the GT rooms because I'm kind of picky about the cabin location. But really what happened here could just as easily happen to me in a room that I carefully chose. I try to book a room between 2 staterooms so we don't hear the pool deck furniture being moved. I guess we all take a chance that we won't be under the noisy family... and if the cruise is sold out there really isn't anything they can do to move us. :(

Exactly. As I said above, this is not a *GT thing. This is a “some people are just inconsiderate and make noise regardless of anyone around them” thing that could sadly happen to any of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter