I will never book VGT again..

Note too that, just because you choose your own room, not only might you get noisy neighbours, you might get moved to another location. We were once upgraded from a cat 5A verandah to a cat 4A family verandah. Nice enough. Didn't really need the extra room. We were moved up one deck to deck 8 (Magic) and I really prefer the original deck 7 we'd booked.

Once we booked cat 5B, near to mid-ship and got moved down the hall farther forward to the last cat 5B cabin. Turns out we actually liked the location so we booked more forward on our last cruise as a result.

Obviously, you have a higher probability of getting what you choose if you pick your own cabin (80% for us) but it's no guarantee. And you can't pick your neighbours (unless they're family and you can't pick family so you're stuck with them).

Do you know how or why you were upgraded? When did you find out that you were upgraded? To confirm, you didn't have a guaranteed room, but you had originally picked your room during the reservation process?

Do you know how or why you were upgraded? When did you find out that you were upgraded? To confirm, you didn't have a guaranteed room, but you had originally picked your room during the reservation process?

I can't speak for the PP but I do know DCL can upgrade you at their discretion. It really does not matter if you picked your own room or were on a GTY. You could get a phone call, or find out by looking at your reservation or find out at the port....it could be totally random.

MJ

It can happen for a few reasons...

Most commonly the cabin needs some kind of maintenance done that requires it being out of service.

But they could need it for any other reason.

Just as the cruise contract states that the itinerary is not guaranteed and may be changed as needed for weather or other circumstances, as long as they are doing a lateral or better move, they do have the right to do so.

Looking at deck plans, deck 10 forward could be under fitness. We did get a good price for our VGT, we will see if it was worth it! 37 more days!:)

I have booked *GT rates several times and in my experience (and not saying it happens all the time) we have nothing but favorable rooms and locations.

On our recent Magic cruise we booked a VGT and were assigned 6624 which was a few door down from the aft elevator lobby. Really liked our location.

MJ

I can't speak for the PP but I do know DCL can upgrade you at their discretion. It really does not matter if you picked your own room or were on a GTY. You could get a phone call, or find out by looking at your reservation or find out at the port....it could be totally random.

MJ

Believe me, I would welcome an upgrade. Not that I am not happy with our category, but due to pricing, it will be only way we can get a room category, higher than an OV. :rolleyes1

Believe me, I would welcome an upgrade. Not that I am not happy with our category, but due to pricing, it will be only way we can get a room category, higher than an OV. :rolleyes1

If you don't get a comp upgrade (very rare) then ask after you check in at the port. Sometimes there are last minute upgrade availability at the port. You have to first check in and ask about upgrades at the Supervisor's desk.

MJ

If you don't get a comp upgrade (very rare) then ask after you check in at the port. Sometimes there are last minute upgrade availability at the port. You have to first check in and ask about upgrades at the Supervisor's desk.

MJ

I know it's dumb, but I don't want to pay for the upgrade. :teeth:

Just booked a vgt and got 5b midship deck 6. The only bad room I've had was on our last cruise and it was a room I picked...go figure.
I kinda of like being surprised. I find a lot of times the most expensive categories are the leftover rooms.

Did they ask your permission to move you, or did they just do it on their own?

No. We were just moved.

No reason given for the upgrade but it was on a Med cruise and it was not very busy. I suspect they were just rebalancing to consolidate areas for more effective room cleaning, physical rebalancing, etc.

We always pick our room by stateroom number - no GTY.

No idea why we were moved laterally the second time. Possibly there was a problem with the stateroom. Who knows? As it turned out, we liked the location and it actually put us closer to our friends with whom we were travelling so it was fine.

For the upgrade, our TA called us to let us know. The second time, I logged onto the DCL site for some reason about 2 weeks before the cruise and suddenly noticed that our room number was different. No other notification.

Yes. But I learned from it and will just pay whatever rate I have to in order to choose my cabin to where we prefer. :) Alls well that ends well.
Do you get to pick your cabin with the Florida discount? I would have a hard time giving up a discount just to pick my cabin. Not at today's prices.

Do you get to pick your cabin with the Florida discount? I would have a hard time giving up a discount just to pick my cabin. Not at today's prices.

We booked a Florida resident rate in July on The Fantasy, we got to choose a category 5C and we picked the rooms (we were able to get connecting).
When my daughter's mother in law booked about a month later with the same rate, all she was offered was a GTY. So I guess it can go either way.

When we have booked Florida rates in the past we have mostly gotten GTY's and I accept that, because I am just happy to be cruising and at a discounted rate!

This time I did...just booked the Magic for January at a FL resident rate and got to choose the cabin from the 4 veranda that were available. And this time I read reviews ahead of time and the one I chose was reviewed very well.
However, in September a friend of mine booked FL resident GTY and got their assignment about 1 month before sailing...they were thrilled with it. Booked a 7A but got a 4A.
The price difference was pretty large from a FL resident to regular rate, but I also had a placeholder I could have used (but did not) if it came down to booking what I wanted vs getting a GTY cabin again.

We also had great luck booking VGT, ended up with 5a and even 4b. I am fully aware we can get a bad assignment too, but for us VGT savings were even better than opening day prices.
Sorry to hear you had a noisy cabin, it would annoy me as well. I would stil book VGT though ;)

Looking at deck plans, deck 10 forward could be under fitness. We did get a good price for our VGT, we will see if it was worth it! 37 more days!:)

I booked a FL resident 5C GTY rate, and am a little antsy about seeing what we get assigned. Hope you get a great room!

As others have said, it depends on what type of FL resident discount rate you book. There were several rates available for our early Sept. Fantasy sailing but it saved like $1000 to book the "5C GTY" verandah room. So I watch and wait.....

We booked a Florida resident rate in July on The Fantasy, we got to choose a category 5C

Good to know they do book some 5C category staterooms as a "regular" booking as opposed to my 5C Gty rate. I have checked to see what 5C rooms are available for the 9/08 sailing and it doesn't seem to show any left...... :oops:

I booked a FL resident 5C GTY rate, and am a little antsy about seeing what we get assigned. Hope you get a great room!

As others have said, it depends on what type of FL resident discount rate you book. There were several rates available for our early Sept. Fantasy sailing but it saved like $1000 to book the "5C GTY" verandah room. So I watch and wait.....

Good to know they do book some 5C category staterooms as a "regular" booking as opposed to my 5C Gty rate. I have checked to see what 5C rooms are available for the 9/08 sailing and it doesn't seem to show any left...... :oops:
It doesn't matter if you pick you room or are assigned one you can't control what kind of neighbors you get. I had the loudest neighbors on our last cruise. There was no connecting door and I could still hear everything they said. They woke me up every night when the came in at 2am laughing and talking loudly. Yes it was GT rate, but it was in a great location and I could just have easily picked this room and had the same experience.

It doesn't matter if you pick you room or are assigned one you can't control what kind of neighbors you get.

Of course! :teeth: Totally understand that. But I am accustomed to at least choosing my stateroom location, so it's not knowing for certain what category, forward, aft or midship that is different for me. Heck, you could book concierge and have noise from neighbors sometime, no doubt. :cutie:

Of course! :teeth: Totally understand that. But I am accustomed to at least choosing my stateroom location, so it's not knowing for certain what category, forward, aft or midship that is different for me. Heck, you could book concierge and have noise from neighbors sometime, no doubt. :cutie:
5c rooms are in a good location. You shouldn't be too forward or too aft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter