• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I would greatly apprechiate any help.

noritake1

I sell Disney in my jammies!
I wasnt to say in advance thanks to anyone who reads or answers this. I have 5 kids, 4dd and 1ds.My daughters are 11,10,4,2, and son is 10 months. I have been to disney at least 20 times so I know my way around the parks and do try to make things easy. I took dd who is 11 and 10 to disney for the first time when they were 2 and 1 1/2 trip went great we were at parks all day and the kids were fine then went back every year after that had great times, even went alone with the 2 girls and no problems. then when 3rd daughter was born we wnated her to have the disney experience so when she was 2 we took her, I was alsp 5 months pregnant. we had fun but this daughter is deaf born deaf. so we thought all the trouble was due to her being deaf, but now 4th daughter is also deaf and she does not act like the other daughter. She would have and still does has major meltdowns they are unbearable. She doesn't require much sleep, she gets up everynight. If she falls alseep during the day and wakes up or is woken up before she is ready she is unbearable with cring and screening flexing her legs it's like she isn't even there. she goes to 4 year old preschool for all kids and another for preschool for deaf kids. she goes to speach therapy and has had hearing aids since 4 months old. we had a hard struggle to get her to wear the, but now she wears them all day and even asks for them. If she gets really angry or frustrated she will pull at her hair or wring her fingers. this is getting lesser as she gets older. at school she has no problems. she is great there. my 4th daughter who is also deaf has no issues like this she wears her aids and displays none of these traits my 5 th child the boy has passed hearing tests 5 times. the 2 girls who are deaf have had multiple gentic tests and have no syndromes ect. she has been evaluated by easter seals and has been found to have nothing else but the deafness. I worked in a NICU for 14 years and have seen all kinds of stuff and I know there must be somthing more, bu tmaybe this is just her. she can be a great kid, but she is very demanding and keeps pushing. I'm a stay at home mom and there are days when she is tough to be around. we are going to disney this June, and talking to her about going to mickry's house, she keeps saying that she is afraid of the rides we live close to Dorney PArk and go there all summer with no problems but when we went to Hershey Park this summer she would not ride anything, and if we tried forcing her she would scream and go into a fit. She has now said that she doesn't want to go because it's loud. we really want to go and have a great time, any recomendations would be greatly apprechiated thanks for listining, I havent said anything to a dr. because what do I say hey dr my kid is quirky. thanks jill

I would take her to a physcoligist (sp?) or someone similar and explain what is going on. I had some of the same problems with ds when he was 4 and the scholl said it was speech problems. I took him to Mental Health and the Dr said he had adhd. I was almost relieved! He started taking meds and along with behavior modifications and therapy is doing better.

well , I would say - take it slow - real slow! Maybe order the planning video and watch it together to get her psyched up. Will she wear any type of headphones to muffle the sound a bit? She could very well have severe unidentified food allergies - has she been tested for that at all? That could explain her hypersensitivity.
As a mom - follow your instinct - if you think something is not quite right - keep poking around untill you have an answer that rings true to you. Good luck!

I would watch the planning videos and find books with pictures of the rides. Our library has an older book w/ lots of pictures of WDW. I would also let her know that she does not have to ride anything she does not want to ride. DS got scared of Haunted Mansion (DH & my favorite ride). When I told DS he did not have to ride anything he did not want to ride, he relaxed and became more confident. I think letting him be in control of that decision helped greatly. He ended up riding it.

Good luck.

Hello,

Family (DH, DD8, DS5 & I) just got back from 8 nights/9 days at All-Star Sports. DD has some sensory integration issues and has low muscle tone, so we were worried about fatigue and overload. DS is really sensitive to certain loud sounds. It's inconsistent and hard to predict. Although every situation is different, I'll share some things that helped us out...

We got the kids prepared by watching the planning videos, DVD and some movies. There was an interactive CD on the parks that was at our library we checked out. DD loves lists and pamplets, so before we went, we made a chart of the rides with pictures we captured off the internet and listed them as "yes", "maybe" and "no" as far as going to. We used the lists, maps, etc to help make the parks make sense to her.

For DS, brought earplugs we got at Walgreens and used them anytime the volume was high (sometimes even just walking around). We would not have been able to do half the things we did without them.

Getting a stroller seemed to help. Gave them a safe "haven".

Finally, whenever someone was tired we took a break. Depending on time, we went to a play area (Boneyard in AK was great), or at a resort (our own or one by boat from MK). A TV break for us seemed to center them again.

Hope these suggestions help. Feel free to PM me if you want to.

Kathy

thanks for all the great advice. we already watch all the planning videos. and that does seen to be helping. she wears hearing aids so the ewar plugs are not going to work cuz then she can't hear. this is all so knew for me since all the other kids go on everything and from a early age. I will try looking a picutres and letting her decide what she wants to go on. I think if she has some control in the situation maybe that will help. I will also look into the food thing I never heard of that before do you know any thing more about it? thanks so much Jill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter