Ice $$$

the4moores

Mouseketeer
We will be tent camping for 12 nights and usually bring two coolers when we camp. Is it going to cost us mega money to keep our coolers full of ice? How much is ice?

I think that ice is 2.00 a bag at each of the bathouses for small bags. Just go out of the park to buy ice. 192 in Kissimmee has numerous gas stations you can get ice for half that price.:p

you might consider using dry ice as well - it will last longer, it is available at some of the Publix Stores

Be ready with extra bags as well. When it dispenses it will give you a lot of ice.

There are new coolers on the market now that are well worth the money. Igloo makes one called ultra cool. Sam's sells the 50Q for 19.95 and even has an 115 Q I think it is for 49.99. These coolers work great for holding ice. Of course if you are always in and out the cooler and putting in hot items the ice will melt no matter what. Block ice will last much longer than crushed. Even frozen 2 litter soda bottles with water work better than cubed ice. If you do buy on property take a tall kitchen bag to get the ice in, the bags at the ice machine always over flow. keep an eye out for the guy that comes around every day to collect the money and clean the machine. When he shows up send your kids over to watch, sometimes he will give them bags of ice. We got 3 or 4 bags given to us over a ten day stay last year.

Can someone give me an overview of dry ice? It's my understanding that dry ice is good for frozen food but you have to be careful handling it because it can burn. Is this something I should be concerned about with young children. Also, can you mix dry ice with cubes in the same cooler? We don't have to worry as much about ice up here in Canada. On our last camping trip in July, we still had parts of our blocks of ice after 12 days! :cool: Thanks.

Dry ice can burn if you have direct contact with the it and skin, use gloves when handling it. It does not melt like ice it disipates (sp)? into the air, its best to use along with ice, layer the bottom of the cooler with dry ice then place the regular ice on top,

How about buying one of those electric coolers. Coleman makes a model. You plug it in to a DC outlet like a cigerette lighter, or you buy a AC/DC converter for $19.95 and NO ICE is needed. I have one and prefer it, as the food doesn't get all soggy from the melting ice.

The only problem with these is they don't work well in your car trunk when it heats up like a oven in the sunlight.

Just a thought....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter