Iceland Luggage Restriction

BluesTraveler

DIS Veteran
I see in the spiral bound itinerary we received that our luggage for Iceland is restricted to 44 lb checked luggage, and 10 lb carry-on. This is less (for the carry-on) than China, SA, and Australia, but it is also not on the website like the weight restrictions for those countries are. I have called several times today to try to ask ABD about this, but each time there's a ridiculous wait time for a Vacationista (as of a few minutes ago, 30 minutes). Wondering if anyone else noticed this and has confirmed it with ABD. I will also be e-mailing the Vacationista that took our reservation but it is generally a day or two before I get a response.

Thanks.

I think Google has answered my question. Google flights tells me the airline flying our route is Air Iceland Connect, and their website seems to confirm these limits.

I see in the spiral bound itinerary we received that our luggage for Iceland is restricted to 44 lb checked luggage, and 10 lb carry-on. This is less (for the carry-on) than China, SA, and Australia, but it is also not on the website like the weight restrictions for those countries are. I have called several times today to try to ask ABD about this, but each time there's a ridiculous wait time for a Vacationista (as of a few minutes ago, 30 minutes). Wondering if anyone else noticed this and has confirmed it with ABD. I will also be e-mailing the Vacationista that took our reservation but it is generally a day or two before I get a response.

Thanks.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can live with the 44lb checked luggage, but there's NO WAY my carry-on is going to be 10lb!! That's ridiculous. My carry-on weighs almost 8 pounds empty!!

Sahello

That’s a very low limit considering all the boots/rain gear/layers we are supposed to pack. My hiking boots alone several pounds! I wonder if we can just pay a fine for ow bags?

Be warned your Carry on Bag more than likely be " checked " if it looks overweight & oversized .

Do not take the chance ..... you could find yourselves unpacking .

Best idea is to have a small " Backpack " empty with you and use it as your personal bag.

OR PRE PAY now for 2nd checked bag ( Usually half price ) Rather than FULL PRICE + at airport

That’s a very low limit considering all the boots/rain gear/layers we are supposed to pack. My hiking boots alone several pounds! I wonder if we can just pay a fine for ow bags?
I called ABD, and the Vacationista said we were responsible for any overage charges, but she had no idea what those charges would be. So I guess the answer is "yes".

Sayhello

One goo d thing I found when I traveled to Iceland is you don’t need a large selection of different clothing. Clean undies, socks, warm pants and a jacket along with hiking boots and raingear and you are good to go. No “formal nights” on a trip like this. We flew between cities within Iceland and carried a backpack while our luggage followed on the bus. No worries.

Agreed. And you're not sweating profusely, like you'd be in the Med. Good base layers, optimally performance wear, and you won't need much extras. Wear your hiking boots. Wear your jacket.

And yes, Iceland Air is strict about size/weight. Very.

Agreed. And you're not sweating profusely, like you'd be in the Med. Good base layers, optimally performance wear, and you won't need much extras. Wear your hiking boots. Wear your jacket.

And yes, Iceland Air is strict about size/weight. Very.
Looks like I've got an extra expense coming up....

Sayhello

Looks like I've got an extra expense coming up....

The upside is, once you've bought the stuff, it's cheaper to go the next time. :) I have to say I've gotten a lot of use out of the clothes I originally bought for my Iceland trip, and I've rethought my spring/fall travel wardrobe. REI and Moosejaw have good sales, and the performance wear clothes pack light, wash easily, don't wrinkle, and even have odor guards frequently. I have a couple of pants that I would live in at home if my family and friends would let me.

The upside is, once you've bought the stuff, it's cheaper to go the next time. :) I have to say I've gotten a lot of use out of the clothes I originally bought for my Iceland trip, and I've rethought my spring/fall travel wardrobe. REI and Moosejaw have good sales, and the performance wear clothes pack light, wash easily, don't wrinkle, and even have odor guards frequently. I have a couple of pants that I would live in at home if my family and friends would let me.
Oh, actually, I was talking about the extra expense of paying for the weight overage for my carry-on! :) I flew Air Canada earlier this year, and they mis-placed my checked bag for 3 days. I'm unfortunately flying Air Canada to Iceland. So I'm shoving as much in my carry-on as humanly possible. :) Fortunately, it's only one internal flight on this trip, unlike the 5 for China!!

I've *already* spent a bunch of money on new hiking boots and waterproof pants, and rainproof jackets and stuff like that!

Sayhello

Just a note, unlike US legacy carriers, many foreign airline have pretty low carry on weight restrictions and they do enforce them. One thing people never seem to mention when they endorse foreign airlines over US airlines.

It seems pretty common for carriers outside the US to pretty strictly enforce their luggage rules. I travel with a smallish backpack as my only carry on and they have not asked to weigh it. Backpacks and bags without wheels sometimes kinda "fly under the radar" but, as others have said, if your bag is a typical US roll-aboard type bag or appears to be stuffed, I would not be surprised if they weight it or put it though the bag sizer. I'd expect to a) check it and/or b)pay extra for it. The fees are sometimes outrageous! I'd also check the specific airlines rules, if you know which one it is. And plan ahead, I've been on trips where the US leg of the flight allowed one weight while the flights within the next country (Asia, Europe) were a lesser weight.

Maybe some inspiration(?): https://www.onebag.com/

Last edited:
It seems pretty common for carriers outside the US to pretty strictly enforce their luggage rules. I travel with a smallish backpack as my only carry on and they have not asked to weigh it. Backpacks and bags without wheels sometimes kinda "fly under the radar" but, as others have said, if your bag is a typical US roll-aboard type bag or appears to be stuffed, I would not be surprised if they weight it or put it though the bag sizer. I'd expect to a) check it and/or b)pay extra for it. The fees are sometimes outrageous! I'd also check the specific airlines rules, if you know which one it is. And plan ahead, I've been on trips where the US leg of the flight allowed one weight while the flights within the next country (Asia, Europe) were a lesser weight.

Maybe some inspiration(?): https://www.onebag.com/
The only problem is, the flight is booked by ABD, and you usually don't know any of the flight information until you're checked in. So I can't for sure check the specific airline rules or pre-pay for an extra bag, or any of that. I may ask the Guides about this. Thank goodness it's only one flight on this trip!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Note also it seems to be one carry-on total, not one carry-on and a personal item.
Did you hear this from Disney? My book definitely says one personal item and one carry-on but now I’m freaking out. We leave Wednesday and I’m really struggling with these limits.

No, I never connected with Disney on this but we are packing to stay within the limits. It's tricky!

No, I never connected with Disney on this but we are packing to stay within the limits. It's tricky!
Then do you mind if I ask where you got the no personal item thing? I’m packing as we speak and kind of freaking out. My handbook definitely says we get both.

Did you hear this from Disney? My book definitely says one personal item and one carry-on but now I’m freaking out. We leave Wednesday and I’m really struggling with these limits.
Yes, the Handbook definitely says a small carry-on and a personal item (along with one checked bag). Then it says, for the internal flight, weights are very strict (44lbs/20kg for checked and 10lb/4.5kg for carry-on). Why would they differentiate the weights if you weren't allowed a carry-on?

Sayhello

Then do you mind if I ask where you got the no personal item thing? I’m packing as we speak and kind of freaking out. My handbook definitely says we get both.
OK, so I called ABD. According to the information she had, for the internal flight, we are allowed one checked bag (no more than 44lbs), one small carry-on (no more than 13lbs - I know, the handbook says 10lbs, but her data said 13) with a max dimension of 22x14x8, AND a personal item that has to fit under the seat in front of you. She says they recommend your carry-on not be wheeled, because those typically don't fit in the overhead bin.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter