Iceland Meets Thread

Which Food walk did you book? I'm looking to do one of those for my pre-day in Reykjavik.

Sayhello

We are also joining the Reykjavik Food Walk on Sept 1st. We signed up for the 12:30pm slot.

We are arriving on 8/31 and elected to do the blue Lagoon on our preday, direct from the airport.

We are also joining the Reykjavik Food Walk on Sept 1st. We signed up for the 12:30pm slot.

We are arriving on 8/31 and elected to do the blue Lagoon on our preday, direct from the airport.
Oh! I'm actually doing the Reykjavik Food Walk on 8/31. I'm arriving on 8/30, and doing the Blue Lagoon that day, direct from the airport, too. Since I booked my pre-days through ABD, they included the Blue Lagoon when I arrive.

I figured the Food walk would probably cover lunch & dinner for me that day. :) It's a lot of food! (Plus, it starts at 12:30 and goes for 3 - 4 hours!) Hopefully all I'd need is a light snack that night! :) I'm not sure if I could change it to 9/1 at this point. I'll have to see.

Maybe we can meet up some time before the ABD starts. If not, I'll be seeing you on 9/1 at the Welcome Dinner!!!

Sayhello

I'm down to my last few hours here, but I really enjoyed it. I would love to spend a week some day! Wishing you all safe travels and good weather! PS - it's been overcast and/or drizzling all day, but the sun is in my eyes as I type this 11 pm local time.

Good morning everyone! I could use some assistance from anyone who has already returned from the Iceland trip. My youngest daughter (20) presently has mono, and it is a bad case. We leave for Iceland 3 weeks from today. This is the first time I did not purchase travel insurance so I think we all need to go (we have 3 adult daughters so we are a family of 5). She will no longer be contagious and will (hopefully) feel better than she does now, but she will be tired and also will need to be careful regarding any activities where her spleen could get bumped because mono causes spleen enlargement. Could anyone tell me who active the trip really is. How much walking is there? If she sits out of horse back riding and white water rafting, are there places she could hang out on site? Thanks in advance for any help!

Good morning everyone! I could use some assistance from anyone who has already returned from the Iceland trip. My youngest daughter (20) presently has mono, and it is a bad case. We leave for Iceland 3 weeks from today. This is the first time I did not purchase travel insurance so I think we all need to go (we have 3 adult daughters so we are a family of 5). She will no longer be contagious and will (hopefully) feel better than she does now, but she will be tired and also will need to be careful regarding any activities where her spleen could get bumped because mono causes spleen enlargement. Could anyone tell me who active the trip really is. How much walking is there? If she sits out of horse back riding and white water rafting, are there places she could hang out on site? Thanks in advance for any help!
Sorry, but the first Iceland trip doesn't leave until next Monday (June 16th). No-one has done the Iceland ABD yet. So the only people who can answer these questions are ABD. :( Give them a call, they should be able to help you.

I hope your daughter feels better soon!!

Sayhello

So I just read that tomorrow (June 17) is a national holiday in Iceland (Icelandic National Day) celebrating the founding of the Republic of Iceland in 1944. The first Iceland ABD started today in Reykjavik. I wonder if there will be any impacts (or, conversely, bonuses) for the folks on the first trip?

Sayhello

Maybe there will be many flag waving as Iceland is in the World Cup football being played

in Russia And today Iceland played a draw in their first match.

This World Cup tournament will be watched by many millions on TV and will

have a Visual ( TV ) impact on ABD Tours using Hotels in Europe till the 15 th July

Sorry, but the first Iceland trip doesn't leave until next Monday (June 16th). No-one has done the Iceland ABD yet. So the only people who can answer these questions are ABD. :( Give them a call, they should be able to help you.

I hope your daughter feels better soon!!

Sayhello
Ahhhhh, didn't realize! Well, if anyone can let me know their thoughts upon return from the first few trips, that would be great. Thanks!

The first Iceland Adventure is under way and if you have instagram you can follow and see some of the things they are doing this week. They have a couple videos up and they are great.

We just got back last night. We had a great trip and Iceland is amazing. If you have specific questions, please let me know and I will do my best.

To start, let me address two questions I have seen in the thread:

Hiking shoes - Definitely take a good pair of shoes. We (my family) all had waterproof hiking shoes and wore them almost every day. We did not have shoes that covered our ankles and ABD rented boots for us for the glacier walk. (Rented from the glacier walk vendor so super easy.) I don't want to assume this will be done for every group, but at the same time my guess is that ABD will make sure everyone is taken care of and has the appropriate footwear.

Blue Lagoon - Flip flops were provided. I will add that flip flops were not provided at the second lagoon. We took flip flops with us and I know that my boys used them but I probably wouldn't worry about them if I were to do the trip again. I forgot to take mine to the second lagoon after carrying them all the way to Iceland. Ugh!

We just got back last night. We had a great trip and Iceland is amazing. If you have specific questions, please let me know and I will do my best.

To start, let me address two questions I have seen in the thread:

Hiking shoes - Definitely take a good pair of shoes. We (my family) all had waterproof hiking shoes and wore them almost every day. We did not have shoes that covered our ankles and ABD rented boots for us for the glacier walk. (Rented from the glacier walk vendor so super easy.) I don't want to assume this will be done for every group, but at the same time my guess is that ABD will make sure everyone is taken care of and has the appropriate footwear.

Blue Lagoon - Flip flops were provided. I will add that flip flops were not provided at the second lagoon. We took flip flops with us and I know that my boys used them but I probably wouldn't worry about them if I were to do the trip again. I forgot to take mine to the second lagoon after carrying them all the way to Iceland. Ugh!
Welcome Back!!

I thought you got to keep the flip flops from the Blue Lagoon...

So as far as what you wore -- Was it really cold? Did you need a heavy jacket, or did you make due with layers? Were waterproof pants needed? I am so confused about what to pack for this trip.

How was the food?

What did you do for your free time in Husavik?

Who were your Guides?

How were the hotels? Were the rooms hot or cold? Did you notice if the hair dryers were decent or not?

How was riding the Icelandic horses? I've heard they're really gentle. I have a bad back, but I really want to ride.

Were there any issues with luggage size/weight on the flight to Akureyri?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions... :)

I’m glad you had a good trip! Thanks for being our de facto expert!

Wondering if there were days where you changed for dinner - even just into different casual clothes- or if pretty much you went right from outdoor activity to supper table? Trying to decide how many extras to pack. Thank you!

Excitedly following along. We are not doing the ABD trip as I just could not afford it for three people. BUT we are doing our own trip to Iceland and will fly in July 21st! We are doing a ring road trip, including 3 nights in the North.

Glad to hear it was a great trip! I'm wondering if there was laundry service (or machines) available at any point along the way. Also, how frequently did you need cash or could you charge pretty much everything? Did you tip both guides in US dollars?

Excitedly following along. We are not doing the ABD trip as I just could not afford it for three people. BUT we are doing our own trip to Iceland and will fly in July 21st! We are doing a ring road trip, including 3 nights in the North.

Sound exciting. Gasoline is quite expensive so don't be shocked. There is a Costco that opened up in the capital so if you are a member bring your card to stock up on items offered at a discounted price compared to the other stores. When we were there our guide told us the story that lines were lined up for miles just to get into it. Try to make your reservations for eating before because it does get quite crowded in certain areas.

Glad to hear it was a great trip! I'm wondering if there was laundry service (or machines) available at any point along the way. Also, how frequently did you need cash or could you charge pretty much everything? Did you tip both guides in US dollars?

I never found a place (including a hot dog stand) that did not accept credit cards. It seems to be the preferred method of payment and I honestly felt a little weird when I paid with cash.

I tipped our guide from Iceland in Icelandic Krona and our American guide in US Dollars via PayPal.

I never inquired about laundry services so I am not sure if there was anything available. Sorry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter