ID for cocktails on property?

e mcduck

Mouseketeer
Apologies if this is a common question, I did try to search..

(this is regarding a US citizen)
I stopped by the DMV today to apply for a real ID not even thinking about the fact that im leaving for WDW next week until the woman took my license and punched a hole through it - she told me TSA may give me a hard time using the punched hole and my temporary license (a half sheet piece of paper), but should accept it. Thankfully I have a US Passport so I can use that to fly. But then I realized - I had planned to have lots of cocktails on vacation. I called WDW in a panic and the woman on the phone said i should be fine checking into my resort and purchasing drinks with the damaged license as long as i had my temporary papers with me. Im not thrilled about having to carry PAPER around with me in florida but she seemed pretty confident. I cant imagine pulling this out at a food and wine booth, let alone in the rain - does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

I know bars frequently reject passports for drinking age verification and yes, this is actually really important to me. No judgement please. I have an intact drivers license that expired just a few months ago, im wondering if I should bring that. Im just not sure what to do. Im 40 years old, but i do look on the young side so I do still get carded a fair bit.

Im so angry. Getting a real ID could have waited, and if she had told me my license was going to be destroyed, i would have waited. sigh. such an unnecessary inconvenience. so much for bag free touring.

Any experience is appreciated!

I am in the world right now and have not been asked for ID once in 5 days. Obviously YMMV but hopefully that can put your mind at ease. I am a 35year old female who also looks young especially when my hair is in a pony tail. I’ve picked up multiple drinks at Poly, several restaurants and F&W booths and never carded although I did have ID with me in case it was asked. I was paying with my magic band often and wondered if they pull up info that way..try not to worry too much and enjoy your trip!

Your passport works as an id as well. You will be fine.

Just read your post, bars should not reject your passport for ID. It is accepted by the US government, they should accept it as well. Lots of Europeans only use passports/visa for ID.

I honestly think it really depends on how old you are. If you look really young, you will probably get carded. DH and I have been going to Disney yearly for 9 years (32 at our youngest to 41 now) and neither of us have ever been asked for an ID.

I honestly think it really depends on how old you are. If you look really young, you will probably get carded. DH and I have been going to Disney yearly for 9 years (32 at our youngest to 41 now) and neither of us have ever been asked for an ID.

Yes if you look young, you get carded just like anywhere else. Turning 36 on Oct 1st and I still randomly get carded everywhere, but also at WDW every time. A few times I haven't had my ID with me (at the pool bar) and they would not sell to me. I've learned after those trips just to take a small pouch with my ID, and now I get to add TiW and DVC/AP cards to it.

I heard copy of the passport will work as a support of your damage ID. IMO bring the ID and copies of both the passport and the temporary ID paperwork. No need to risk originals.

Just bring the passport as age verification. I don't know FL rules about temp IDs from other states, but I know NH bars usually reject temp licenses from other states.

I have used my passport and my passport card at WDW. I used them a couple of years ago (2016) when I flew out of Orlando for a few days in Amsterdam after our trip. Instead of using my drivers license I just took my passport and had no issues. I was "carded" five times that trip and all of the places we went accepted the passport or passport card. :)

I've never experienced a bar rejecting a passport for age verification? That's what I use in this kind of situation and have never had a problem.

To be honest you can get a million different answers, I for example have never been carded at Disney, for alcohol but I have for AP discounts. Some will tell you the opposite. Is better to be prepared with all that you can.

My wife realized that her driver's license expired about a week before our wedding and honeymoon in CA. So she got that all sorted out, but for our trip, she only had the punched out license and the temporary paper. So, we brought her passport just in case.

At the Grand Californian, the bartender, and the bartender's manager refused to sell her a drink, so I ran up to our room, grabbed the passport, and that worked out.

So, bring a valid passport, and you should be all set. Better safe than sorry!

I know bars frequently reject passports for drinking age verification and yes, this is actually really important to me.

They certainly won't reject use of a passport at WDW for ID. I'm Canadian and, according to the rules, a Canadian driver's license isn't considered valid for such purposes. I have to show my passport if asked for ID for drinking age verification. I haven't been asked for ID at WDW since I was 30 and I do have a copy on my phone that I have in case I'm asked (I'm not taking my passport out of the safe on vacation). It may not be strictly legal or to the letter of the rules, but I've read that they will accept a copy of the passport.

I used to be a liquor store clerk. I got a lot of expired and invalid licenses/ID cards. As long as the temporary card came with it, it was fine.

That being said, your passport is valid legal ID and you should be fine with it. I use my passport card frequently when I travel because I can.

If a bar at Disney is rejecting a passport, that's BS and you need to escalate to the management. I doubt that will happen, though.

Lastly, if you're worried about carrying paper (or anything you'd like to keep dry), put it in a Ziploc baggie. That protects everything well enough.

You should be able to use the paper copy of your license as a valid ID or the passport. Personally, I don't like carrying around my passport any more than I must. I wouldn't be concerned about bringing a copy of the passport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter