ID for cocktails on property?

I don't know why link wont' work. I searched for Disney World alcohol policy and it was the first thing to pop up.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/international-travel/required-id-for-alcohol/

Thank you so much!! I don't drive anymore (med issues) so I let my drivers license expire & just use my passport when I need ID. But now w/ this discussion about Disney proofing people for alcoholic purchases I'm nervous. I'm 48 & haven't been proofed for alcohol in a good 20 years but with my luck I will now. Ironically I get my passport in the mail but to get a non-driver ID I have to go to DMV. Ugh. Thanks again!!

Depending on the state, it should only be about 10 business days for the ID to arrive. ( I know here in Illinois I had mine within 10 days total ).

IF you don't get the replacement prior to departure, take the passport. TSA will accept that for sure without issue and you can also use it for ID at WDW. ( I'd just bring a ziploc bag if you're worried about it getting wet. )

For the future ( I know it doesn't help now ), when you renew you're passport get yourself the passport ID card. It's a low additional fee, the size of a drivers licenses and works everywhere as an ID.

thanks. its so funny i have a date on my calendar to get the passport card too because i just wanted as many forms of ID as possible. good thing i didnt do it in tandem o_O. Im hoping the ID arrives before i leave but if it does it might be like the day before..it will be cutting it close. its 8 business days...

i dont know what to tell ya'all. bars in the US dont always accept passports lol. its common knowledge. especially dive bars. you can argue with me all you want it doesnt make it not true :)

A passport absolutely works, in fact, as a Canadian visiting the parks its often the only ID they'll accept

An original passport, yes. The person I was replying too said to not risk losing your passport, that you should bring a copy of it. A copy of a passport would not be accepted as ID.

i dont know what to tell ya'all. bars in the US dont always accept passports lol. its common knowledge. especially dive bars. you can argue with me all you want it doesnt make it not true :)

I think what folks are stating is the LAW and requirements in Florida. Now if a bar is refusing you service even though you are following the law ... that would mean they are NOT following the law. Nothing anyone here can help you with in that instance. You could carry a copy of statute, you could file a complaint or you could just go to another bar. I don't think at Disney you will have a problem, they can always call a manager if they are unsure.

Note that every state has their own laws regarding alcohol consumption ages, proof etc. Within states there are jurisdictions that can have further laws regarding serving hours, and more. We had a neighboring town make a strong requirement that every single person who orders a drink MUST be carded. The "blue hairs" (their term not mine) went ballistic. As far as I know it still stands. If everyone is carded it takes the responsibility off the server.

It could be that the bars you are speaking of, particularly dive bars, are adding their own requirement because they don't feel comfortable with their passport "knowledge" or perhaps they have been the subject of some scrutiny by law enforcement. Legal? I don't know but given it's only a more strict version of the law, could be.

----------------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't want to open the link since there still seems to be conflicts ...
..... from DISNEY (basically copy of state law):

Alcoholic beverages can be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort by all Guests 21 years of age or older.

Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at any site in the state of Florida—including Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Vero Beach Resortmust present one of the following valid forms of identification:

• U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. military ID
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
  • NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)
Please note: All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

For all questions concerning our identification requirements, please call (407) 939-6244.

Last edited:
I have been denied alcohol in DCA and MK from not having my Passport with me (Canadian). Tried to order wine in January at Liberty Tree Tavern and I'm 30 and he couldn't serve me. It is annoying but I get that they have to do their jobs - PLUS - him thinking I could be under 21 is a compliment I will gladly accept. =)

I am 72 and in a wheelchair - in Tennessee I have to show my license to buy a beer with my hamburger. It's crazy.

Oh yes for sure. I think ill be fine with the passport at disney - the conversation has been weaving in and out from disney to outside of disney back and forth with the passport. So im just speaking of the fact that a passport can be rejected outside of disney. it happens lots. whether its legal i cant say but it doesnt really matter in that moment. if youre denied youre denied! :)

Oh yes for sure. I think ill be fine with the passport at disney - the conversation has been weaving in and out from disney to outside of disney back and forth with the passport. So im just speaking of the fact that a passport can be rejected outside of disney. it happens lots. whether its legal i cant say but it doesnt really matter in that moment. if youre denied youre denied! :)
Most likely, such denial of service is within the law. It’s common to see signs noting that an establishment reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. They don’t need a specific reason to do this, although many bars might use this to avoid serving a patron who appears to have had enough to drink.

As far as I know international driver's licenses aren't accepted, so you have to have a passport. Passports should always be accepted idk why they aren't unless they're expired or they look invalid (fake or picture different, etc). People have thrown fits at bars I work at because I can't accept their German driver's license, for example. I tell them to just bring their passport next time and it's all good. I also know 2 people who use their passports as IDs and have never had problems with them, so I hope you'll be okay!

Last February during our visit, my 27 year old daughter was asked for ID every time she ordered a drink. (She does look young for her age.) She had just renewed her Michigan drivers license - the corner was cut off and renewal paper was stapled to the license. They would not serve her a drink at one location, and at two others she was told that they were doing her a favor by accepting the ID as it was against policy. At all other locations she was served without comment. She did not have a passport with her.

welp, i gotta give kudos to the california DMV. not only was my dmv appointment last week taken care of in 5 minutes.... i actually got my real ID in the mail yesterday - 5 business days later. all of my panic was for nothing. ha. thats impressive. but this was an interesting discussion and i appreciate all participation. hopefully someone finds it helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!