I'd love suggestions on where to stay off site.

Mom2FiveKidz

Earning My Ears
This is a double post from the Disabilities board. Apologies if that isn't done. We're hoping to come down for the last 2 weeks of September with a party of 10, ranging from a baby to 74 years old, including 3 with mobility challenges (2 children in wheelchairs, 1 elderly person with a cane). Our budget is generous, but not generous enough to stay on site. I'd love suggestions on what to check out.

Here's what we're looking for
I'd love suggestions on hotels to stay at. As you probably saw on our other threads we have a rather large party! We'll have 10 people altogether, 3 people with mobility impairments, 2 young girls who use wheelchairs full time, and an elderly woman who walks with a cane and needs things like grab bars and a flat entrance.

Here's what we need.

Living areas that are roomy enough to store things like extra wheelchairs, and still be able to move around.

100% wheelchair accessible (no stairs, flat entrances, bathrooms big enough for a wheelchair with grab bars, roll in shower).

3 condos/suites/apartments/houses with a total of at least 5 bedrooms, and 2 of them totally accessible.

A community pool with lifeguards

A full kitchen with a full sized fridge

A washer/dryer

Handicapped parking for a conversion van, and a mini van, and possibly a 3rd car.

Here's what we'd like

A toddler pool or a beach entry at the pool

Extras at the pool, like a water slide or a spray ground

A short commute to the Disney parks.

Condos in the same building or houses next door to each other

A nearby grocery store

A playground

The nanny's condo/suite/house to be fully accessible too, so she can take the girls there when she's watching them.

Shuttles to Disney and Universal (do not need to be accessible, this would be in case the teenagers decide to go off and do their own thing)

Daily housekeeping

Where should we look?

I think the best advice for your specific situation would be to get some professional help (a travel agent). Dreams Unlimited is the sponsor of this forum and is one place to start. You want a travel agent who really knows the local options and can negotiate with a resort to pull it all together for you.

IMO - you would be best looking at a resort rather than private homes. The large chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton) properties are all compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and should have all of the accessible features you need. I know that Sheraton Vistana Resort can offer almost everything on your list, except perhaps the lifeguards (most of these resorts have unsupervised pool areas).

You should rent a house from Dreams Villas of Orlando. They have different accommodations accessibility

Have you ever considered renting points from a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) member? You can rent a one or two or three bedroom grand villa. The 3 bedroom grand villas are on site at Disney where you get free transportation and access to extra park hours for onsite guests. Many of the 3 bedroom grand villas have 4 bathrooms. Typically these rooms are really expensive when booked direct through Disney, but by renting from a member you can get quite a discount. There is lots more info on Google :)

This thread is over a year old...from 2017 and the OP has already completed their trip. The original poster hasn’t been on the boards since December 2017.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!