Ideas for making Mickey ears for DBF?

alievans719

Mouseketeer
So I decided to bound my whole upcoming Disney trip, and made it couples for me and BF. I wanted to have ears to work with most of our outfits. I've got ideas for some of mine, but I wanted to make Mickey headbands for my boyfriend. He has the Sorcerer Mickey ears, and loves them. He's game for wearing ears, and I just think he's more comfortable with a headband versus the caps. He's got a big head so he's accepted that they might be tight(to quote him, "My hair cushions it.")

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on designs for ears I can make for him, and maybe myself?

So far the ones I need to make are:

Jasmine & Aladdin(I think I've got a pretty solid idea for these...fez for him, bow for me)
Carl & Ellie - originally my plan was to wear aviator hats, but this is proving hard to find and I think they might be a little hot. We're bounding them as kids.
Magic Carpet & Genie - I will probably just cover the ears in scraps from the custom Magic Carpet print I have, but Genie I'm clueless!
Eric from the Little Mermaid - also clueless!

I suppose he can do plan ears, but I think he's excited to have custom ones. I've got about three months to pull it all together, but I'm hopeful!

I know this is long, but any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Tarzan and Jane, they're a Disney couple you don't see too much of. Maybe make him "Tarzan" with the ears shaped out of ivy and some faux leather wrapping around the band. Then for Jane, yellow satin with lavender trim would be lovely on a white lace headband. Or you could put a lavender bow in the center. Making the fabric "drape" like the apron of Jane's skirt would be extra lovely if you can manage it.

Mine aren't necessiarily couple ones, and most of them have bows (it's amazing how much a bow can bring the set together), but here are most of the ones I have made

WP_20150721_002.jpg
(Olaf, Anna, Elsa)
(Darth Maul, Generic Star Wars, Luke/Anakin Skywalker)
(Baymax, FoF Vine Guys, Gaston, Mickey)
(Patriotic, Cinderella, Belle)

I've also done the FoF Bubble Dancers, Ariel, Minnie, Goofy, Peter Pan, Donald, Phineas, Ferb, and I'm sure there's more. I'll try to find some photos of these ones, because they are a lot more guy oriented

Mine aren't necessiarily couple ones, and most of them have bows (it's amazing how much a bow can bring the set together), but here are most of the ones I have made

View attachment 114297
(Olaf, Anna, Elsa)
(Darth Maul, Generic Star Wars, Luke/Anakin Skywalker)
(Baymax, FoF Vine Guys, Gaston, Mickey)
(Patriotic, Cinderella, Belle)

I've also done the FoF Bubble Dancers, Ariel, Minnie, Goofy, Peter Pan, Donald, Phineas, Ferb, and I'm sure there's more. I'll try to find some photos of these ones, because they are a lot more guy oriented
I have to say, those are amazing!!!! I managed to pick up some fabric and I need to play around with ideas for the ears. I'm legit drooling over your collection. Amazing work!

I have to say, those are amazing!!!! I managed to pick up some fabric and I need to play around with ideas for the ears. I'm legit drooling over your collection. Amazing work!
Thanks! I've had a lot of fun making them. I have so many designs in my head and on paper that it's hard to choose which ones to do next. I am actually trying to change the way I make them so they are a little higher quality, but I haven't gotten there yet so the actual making has been at a bit of a standstill

Here's a few more that I found pictures of.

WP_20150418_016.jpg WP_20150423_004.jpg MK_HAUNTEDMANSIONEXIT_7354351811.jpeg MK_TSTHEATERBCHAR_7349506016.jpeg STUDIO_SUNSET3_7355850174.jpeg STUDIO_SUNSET3_73558501742.jpgWP_20150512_001.jpg

I'm excited to see how yours turn out!

Thanks! I need to get to work on them and I'll have to post them. I love the little outfit look ones. I think that's how I'll do Eric's since his look is a little plain!

Thanks! I need to get to work on them and I'll have to post them. I love the little outfit look ones. I think that's how I'll do Eric's since his look is a little plain!

Outfits are a great way to work the princes since they often don't have as many accessories/icons as the princesses do.

Even though they are super simple, Gaston and Luke Skywalker are two of my favorites.

And Eric would be a lot of fun to do his outfit! You can experiment with the fabrics since his outfit is more drapey, and even throw in a lot of nautical references (maybe even a flute somehow?).

I've bee a part of Disboards for a long time, but am new to this community. Love all these ideas! DD13 and her buddies are Disney Bounding for Hallween this year and are all super-excited. We are also heading to Disneyland in October and DD and I have been discussing making our own ears, both for the frugality of it, and the ability to make them just how we want them
Can you all give me some tips or a good tutorial to look at? Thanks so much!!!

I've bee a part of Disboards for a long time, but am new to this community. Love all these ideas! DD13 and her buddies are Disney Bounding for Hallween this year and are all super-excited. We are also heading to Disneyland in October and DD and I have been discussing making our own ears, both for the frugality of it, and the ability to make them just how we want them
Can you all give me some tips or a good tutorial to look at? Thanks so much!!!

I've been using these two tutorials:

http://dixiedelightsonline.com/2014/09/diy-custom-minnie-mouse-ears.html

I made a custom pair of Ariel ones that are different because for the ears, there are shells. I'm slowly working on the rest of the ears. I just got cheap foam board from Walmart, a foot of fabric for each thing I'm doing and headbands at the dollar store(if you use plastic headbands, I recommend sanding them a bit to stick better). Overall, my cost was...maybe $50(I had some custom fabric in there I am using the scraps). But...I'm also making five headbands. Haha

I used the second one as the guide for all the ones I've made so far, but I am currently trying out some other idea. The foam board makes the ears really sturdy, but any issues with the curve is really noticeable. Plus gluing them onto the headband is a pain (tip if you are coming to Florida - it is hotter here than the glue gun, and a few hours in the sun will have your ears falling off). Wrapping fabric around the band helps, but isn't always an option with the colors.

Currently I am trying to sew some using thin foam sheets and batting as the filling and then sewing them onto the headband. If they turn out well I will try to come up with some sort of instructions on how I did it.

Supplies wise - I would go with a headband from a craft store (Joann, Michael's, Hobby Lobby). They are usually back in the tshirt decoration area. They cost a few dollars each, but are much sturdier and fit better than any other headband I have tried before. Some of the cheaper bands I have used have actually broken on me which makes wearing them really awkward.

1/4 yard of fabric is more than enough for a set of ears. I think a fat eighth might even work, but I haven't tried. I also use a lot of felt because it's cheap and easy to work with, especially when adding decorations (again, be careful with hot glue and embellishments)

For some ideas (or if I'm stuck on the execution of something), I like to browse etsy. Sometimes seeing how others use colors/details helps a lot.

Thanks so much!! That gives e some great ideas!! Now to just get started on them!!

I'm trying out a few for my boyfriend, the headband will be interesting I think, since he has a big head.

anyone ever attempted a guy pair of peter pan Mickey ears? or ears hat?

Upthread I posted my PP ears. They have a bow, but could easily be done without. I would probably add a belt and dagger if the bow was being left off just to add some more visual interest (sort of like what I did with Gaston/Luke Skywalker) Edit to add: Depending on how detailed they are, an image of the Jolly Roger could work well also. It all depends on what part PP you want represented.

As for the hats, I know they sell basic PP hats (not ears, just the hat/feather). I haven't tried to make ear hats simply because I don't wear them, but those could be a lot of fun also. Peters outfit would work perfectly as the hat.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter