Ideas for son Turning 16

hsc3boys

Mouseketeer
We are staying at AKL Jambo house in a one bed and will be there when my son turns 16. I was thinking of decorating the room as a surprise. Anyone have any ideas? I had a look at what Disney has to offer but nothing seemed very appropriate.

We are travelling from the U.K., is there much birthday themed stuff to buy in the parks?
Can I put anything on the room door, or is that not permitted?

Last time we were in Disney for his birthday he was 3, staying at Caribbean beach and when we got back to the room the windows had been decorated with lots of pictures of characters along with a birthday message and lots of autographs, it was so sweet.

I would be careful of damaging any of the walls with tape as it can pull off paint, no nails or holes of course as all are prohibited in the rules. I think the doors at AKV are wood, which is unusual at WDW as most room exit doors are metal. Perhaps you could wrap the door in gift wrap as long as you don't put tape on the door. You could easily window clings to the windows. I think to purchase any decorations you would need to buy from Walmart or Target. Walmart now offers free delivery.

I hope he and you have a great time for this big birthday.

I typically decorate the windows/glass slider on the inside. Decorate the mirror and the table n chairs. Bring stuff from home, whatever theme etc he’d think was fun.
Happy Birthday in advance.
Have a wonderful time!

I would be careful of damaging any of the walls with tape as it can pull off paint, no nails or holes of course as all are prohibited in the rules. I think the doors at AKV are wood, which is unusual at WDW as most room exit doors are metal. Perhaps you could wrap the door in gift wrap as long as you don't put tape on the door. You could easily window clings to the windows. I think to purchase any decorations you would need to buy from Walmart or Target. Walmart now offers free delivery.

I hope he and you have a great time for this big birthday.
I don't think they want you to put anything on the outside of the doors at AKL/AKV.

How about just making a reservation for a tour that requires everyone to be at least 16 like Keys to the Kingdom? That's what we did.

I don't think they want you to put anything on the outside of the doors at AKL/AKV.

Deb & Bill are always right. I will add that Jambo House does a lot of theming of the room doors themselves, which may add to the reasoning that decorating the doors is discouraged.

I don't think you will find much birthday-themed merchandise to purchase in the parks.

I wouldn't count on the resort delivering anything to the room for free as they did for you 13 years ago. I haven't heard reports of that lately, perhaps because they now want you to purchase expensive stuff through Disney Floral & Gifts.

If you are staying on points you might want to go to TOTWL. That is what we did when my daughter turned 16 and she got a piece of that huge seven layer cake and watched Wishes. She still talks about it as being the best birthday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter