Identification Needed at Gate?

pixiedustedme

Planning is half the fun
I just bought tickets and ultimate fastpasses for my son's and my daytrip to Disneyland Paris during our European vacation this summer. I noticed that the tickets say that we must bring identification. My son is 14, and the only photo ID he has is his passport. Do I really need to being that to the parks? I'd rather keep it locked in our hotel safe.

At the age of 14, you're obligated by law to carry a photo ID with you when you're out and about in Europe. So officially, yes, you should have it with you/him, also in other parts of your trip. In reality, you won't need it

Oh ... really?
Is that a “American” or “European” law?
I guess it never hurts to have some kind of identification with you...

I'm not sure if it's a European law, but it's definitely a Dutch law since 2005 to have a form of official ID with you above the age of 14. With the free travel within Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if other European countries have the same law.
I've tried to Google it, but the website of the EU is as easy to understand as snow in July. I think this is the page http://www.europarl.europa.eu/legis...-cards-and-residence-documents-of-eu-citizens

Whenever I travel abroad, I always 2 forms of ID with me at all times, my passport and my ID card. I've never put them in the hotel safe. I'm too scared to forget it. I've never lost my keys, wallet, phone etc. in my life therefore not too scared to lose my passport/ID when travelling.

I don't know what you mean by "American" and "European" law?
Well, I just wasn’t sure to what kind law you were referring...( from which country)
Because I never heard of such a “general law” like you were referring...

But of course you cant go wrong if you carry some kind of ID with you...
But to be honest I would be afraid to loose my passport somehow in the parks or on the go when on vacation. ( and that would be a big problem)
so I leave it in the hotelsafe... I often just carry my driving license ( I didn’t carry any kind id with me when I was a kid but now with using credit cards and buying alcoholic drinks )
If you don’t have anything besides the passport you could make a photo copy of it ( that’s something I always do when traveling abroad just in case something happens...)

At least In Germany for (German citizens)you are required to “own” a valid official photo ID but are not required to carry it with you all the time... that’s why I was wondering... if I missed something...

I specified it was in Europe, American laws don't apply to Europe :)
The problem wil European laws is that they aren't there officially. The EU makes laws, but they are more like guidelines that the different countries have to model their laws against, so the implementation might be different in each country. In the Netherlands you're obligated to carry around a photo ID, but you're not obligated to own one (funny enough). You can vote with an expired ID for example (max 5 years)
Yes Europe can be quite funny some times...

I specified it was in Europe, American laws don't apply to Europe :)
The problem wil European laws is that they aren't there officially. The EU makes laws, but they are more like guidelines that the different countries have to model their laws against, so the implementation might be different in each country. In the Netherlands you're obligated to carry around a photo ID, but you're not obligated to own one (funny enough). You can vote with an expired ID for example (max 5 years)
I know this is a bit OT, but it doesn't make sense to me why an expired ID isn't accepted in the US for identification, or as proof of age. For example, if my DL is expired, I can see why I would be in violation of Motor Vehicle laws, and why that makes me no longer authorized to operate a motor vehicle. But it still identifies me, and provides my DOB as proof of age. <mild rant over>

I'm not sure if it's a European law, but it's definitely a Dutch law since 2005 to have a form of official ID with you above the age of 14. With the free travel within Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if other European countries have the same law.
I've tried to Google it, but the website of the EU is as easy to understand as snow in July. I think this is the page http://www.europarl.europa.eu/legis...-cards-and-residence-documents-of-eu-citizens

Whenever I travel abroad, I always 2 forms of ID with me at all times, my passport and my ID card. I've never put them in the hotel safe. I'm too scared to forget it. I've never lost my keys, wallet, phone etc. in my life therefore not too scared to lose my passport/ID when travelling.
I would never forget or lose our passports. I am a bit paranoid of having them stolen by pickpockets, though. I've heard so much about pickpocketing and theft in Europe, so I'm not sure where to safely place the passports on a daily basis if they have to be on us all the time. A money belt is easy for cash & cards, but I think passports might be uncomfortable there as they're bigger.

Suggestions for a newbie to Europe?

I would never forget or lose our passports. I am a bit paranoid of having them stolen by pickpockets, though. I've heard so much about pickpocketing and theft in Europe, so I'm not sure where to safely place the passports on a daily basis if they have to be on us all the time. A money belt is easy for cash & cards, but I think passports might be uncomfortable there as they're bigger.

Suggestions for a newbie to Europe?

I wouldn't be too worried about pickpockets being after your passports. You don't even have to worry about that at home when you are being robbed, they say. Chances of your identity being stolen online is much bigger than by a regular thief. My identity card is in my phone case which doubles as my wallet (usually in the pocket of my coat) and my passport is in my handbag/purse/bagpack. I just make sure it's closed at all time and close to my body.

For reference, you do not have to carry an ID under French law.

Just because Disney asks you to bring identification does not mean they are allowed to ask you for it. Leave your passports where you feel they are safe, and if you are worried, bring a copy with you, although nobody will ever ask for it.

On a side note, French law requires tickets to benefit the holder, not the buyer. Even if a ticket has your name on it, you can lawfully give it/sell it to anyone [up to face value], and they will have the right to use it.

Yes Europe can be quite funny some times...

The situation in Germany is the other way around as in the Netherland. You're under obligation to own an ID, but you don't have to carry it with you. However, if you hit a police control, they want to identify you and you don't have ID they can take you in for identification, and that's quite a hassle. It's a similar situation in Italy as in Germany.

The situation in Germany is the other way around as in the Netherland. You're under obligation to own an ID, but you don't have to carry it with you. However, if you hit a police control, they want to identify you and you don't have ID they can take you in for identification, and that's quite a hassle. It's a similar situation in Italy as in Germany.

That is similar to how things are handled in France.

In normal circumstances, police will not ask you for identification though.

What is a police control?

I assume this is when the police ask you for your ID, for whatever reason they have. (Not really sure how they say it in german, but in french we call that a “contrôle de Police”).
That's not something they'd do to a typical nice tourist, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!