Identification Needed at Gate?

The police control I ran into was after a football game. I wasn't exactly acting suspicious, wasn't even wearing the away team's colours. ;)

Such stops are pretty normal where I live, but I am in a very rural area. So teenagers drinking and driving on the weekend is way more common than it should. They will check your license and ID, and then off you can go.

To answer your original question - when you arrive at DLP you will go through security. If yo are staying at a hotel, you’ll go through security before you can enter the lobby. If you arrive via train (or have a car service drop you at the DLP station) you will go through a security screening there. They will scan all of your personal items through an X-ray and yo will walk thru a metal detector, just like the airport. Once you are in the “safe zone” there is no additional screening - just a the ticket scanners to get into each park.

Only for checking into the hotel was I asked for ID (and only I was asked). At no other time did anyone at the security checkpoints or the park entrances ask me for ID. We both used credit cards with PINs and we were not asked for ID. (If your cc does not have a chip/pin then you might need ID for that).

We left our passports in the hotel safe. Based on my experience your son does not need to carry a passport around in DLP.

To answer your original question - when you arrive at DLP you will go through security. If yo are staying at a hotel, you’ll go through security before you can enter the lobby. If you arrive via train (or have a car service drop you at the DLP station) you will go through a security screening there. They will scan all of your personal items through an X-ray and yo will walk thru a metal detector, just like the airport. Once you are in the “safe zone” there is no additional screening - just a the ticket scanners to get into each park.

Only for checking into the hotel was I asked for ID (and only I was asked). At no other time did anyone at the security checkpoints or the park entrances ask me for ID. We both used credit cards with PINs and we were not asked for ID. (If your cc does not have a chip/pin then you might need ID for that).

We left our passports in the hotel safe. Based on my experience your son does not need to carry a passport around in DLP.
Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!