If adding on 75 direct WWYD?

So I purchased resale last summer 160 at SSR. We are heading down to Dis at the end of this month and I am considering purchasing 75 pts. direct while we are there. Would it be smart to purchase additional SSR with the same UY (if possible)? Or consider another resort? We love CCV,AKV, PVB and OkW. Just wondering what would work for me the best? Thanks for any input.

PVB is going to cost an arm and a leg direct, I think it’s 225 a point. OKW is the least expensive and expires in 2057. SSR is next least expensive. CCV has a shortage on studios, you have to book at 11 months, maybe more and it’s only 90% sold out. AKV also expires in 2057. SSR, OKW and AKV would be easy to book a studio most of the year at 7 months.

When we bought SSR 150 point resale, then 25 points direct for the benefits. We recently bought SSR 75 points direct and OKW 100 points direct. We bought OKW to maybe bank and borrow to stay in a grand villa once in a while.

DVC can give you any use year now. They changed the rules and when they buy some back they can change the use year to whatever they want.

I personally would buy SSR, after the refurbishment the rooms will look a lot better.

Jackal, thanks for your input. I am looking forward to the refurb of SSR as well and I like the close proximity to DS. I was definitely leaning towards additional SSR or OKW. My kids are older and even tho they still love the parks DS is a place they are drawn to for the nightlife and food, lol!

Not trying to hijack the thread, but we have a similar dilemma so I’ll be watching the responses here, and throw in another aspect to consider and hope that can elicit some opinions as well.

To the OP, we originally did what you were thinking, all at SSR, but realized maybe we were a little naive in our ability to book elsewhere at 7 months, especially studios. We have since thought of adding on at a couple of other resorts to have multiple home resorts for the 11 month booking, but also more points to upgrade to 1 br, for the space, but also the increased availability. I’d say as long as you don’t get any of the 2042 resorts you’ll be fine, although PVB, VGF, and soon CCV (going to $210 June 1st) will certainly fetch a premium going direct. Whether you get SSR, or one of the other lower cost options, only you can decide if you like those resorts. Also know you’ll likely be able to use those points to fairly easily book them at SSR at 7 months, maybe except on holidays, and at least for now.

We started with 75 direct SSR, added 175 resale SSR, and are now under contract on 100 PVB resale, all Feb UY. While on our recent BCV stay at the beginning of the month, we extended 1 night at SSR and did the DVC tour of the RIV (DRR not sure what we are calling it). My wife LOVES the resort and rooms, so we are considering adding on 75-100 there, but to add on there for a Feb UY you get no 2019 points, where in later months you do. Our dilemma, stick with Feb UY and forego any 2019 points, or change UY and get 2019 points to immediately bank into 2020? Thoughts?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but we have a similar dilemma so I’ll be watching the responses here, and throw in another aspect to consider and hope that can elicit some opinions as well.

To the OP, we originally did what you were thinking, all at SSR, but realized maybe we were a little naive in our ability to book elsewhere at 7 months, especially studios. We have since thought of adding on at a couple of other resorts to have multiple home resorts for the 11 month booking, but also more points to upgrade to 1 br, for the space, but also the increased availability. I’d say as long as you don’t get any of the 2042 resorts you’ll be fine, although PVB, VGF, and soon CCV (going to $210 June 1st) will certainly fetch a premium going direct. Whether you get SSR, or one of the other lower cost options, only you can decide if you like those resorts. Also know you’ll likely be able to use those points to fairly easily book them at SSR at 7 months, maybe except on holidays, and at least for now.

We started with 75 direct SSR, added 175 resale SSR, and are now under contract on 100 PVB resale, all Feb UY. While on our recent BCV stay at the beginning of the month, we extended 1 night at SSR and did the DVC tour of the RIV (DRR not sure what we are calling it). My wife LOVES the resort and rooms, so we are considering adding on 75-100 there, but to add on there for a Feb UY you get no 2019 points, where in later months you do. Our dilemma, stick with Feb UY and forego any 2019 points, or change UY and get 2019 points to immediately bank into 2020? Thoughts?
I know what you mean about having another choice at the 11 month mark, I think that’s what’s stopping me from just saying ok give me more SSR points. I haven’t seen RIV yet in person only on YouTube. It looks gorgeous tho! As far as your add on I think I would try and juggle another UY to get the extra points, unless they had an incentive that was beneficial to you for forgoing the additional points. Ugh decisions decisions!

Just to pile on, the DVC Guide will automatically try to get you points in the same UY as your existing contract. There are many threads out there about managing different UY's.

Keep it simple. Unless you have some reason to buy a particular resort, make the purchase so that you can make getting your reservations easier. I would buy points at the resort you are most likely to use. Get the same UY as you currently have. While you can certainly manage different UY, it is easier to book rooms when all the points have the same UY. Getting the rooms you want is challenging enough without adding a complication.

If you are planning to use the points on their own to only stay at Riviera then you might consider getting a different UY. DVC likely will not want to do that or to do so will require 100 points. I suspect that if you often go in the spring you'd be able to book a 1BR there with your existing points that qualify to be used there vs purchasing there. But I was in the exact same situation when VGC went on sale. I decided to stick with the UY I wanted even though it was not receiving the current years points.

Finally spoke with our guide, seems Feb is the only UY affected. Points for 2019 start March 1st, upside is no dues until Feb 1st 2020, though no one pays dues until Dec 16th, 2019, if that’s true that benefit is very limited for Feb UY.

He did discourage us from changing UY, but did say we could if we wanted. Certainly emphasized the issues of separate UY, but again, didn’t say we couldn’t.

We are definitely leaning towards adding with a March UY with 2019 points. Here is the math I hadn’t considered much, and muddies the water a bit for me now. 100 Poly points at $145pp and 100 RR points at $188pp is nearly identical in cost to 200 RR when you factor in the $3700 developer discount until May 31st on a 200 point purchase. Not sure what to do about that, get fully unrestricted direct points at RR (with higher MF) or have restricted resale Poly points for stays there? We would have to back out of our Poly contract, we are well within our 10 day cancellation window, though I’m not sure how good I’d feel about doing that. I’d also lose the 100 2018 banked Poly points in that contract, which seems counter intuitive to the whole RR March UY switch mentioned above. I guess it’s a good decision to have, but just unsure what to do.

Or consider another resort? We love CCV,AKV, PVB and OkW. Just wondering what would work for me the best? Thanks for any input.
Poly direct is insane - $235 per point. If you are looking for the cheapest option but give you a different resort option then OKW would probably be your best buy - I believe it is around $155 per point. Make sure you get the same UY and the deed is exactly the same as your. The easiest situation would be to get the same UY and same resort. Really buying OKW would not provide you any real benefit as those rooms are usually available at the 7 month mark.

Here is the math I hadn’t considered much, and muddies the water a bit for me now. 100 Poly points at $145pp and 100 RR points at $188pp is nearly identical in cost to 200 RR when you factor in the $3700 developer discount until May 31st on a 200 point purchase. Not sure what to do about that, get fully unrestricted direct points at RR (with higher MF) or have restricted resale Poly points for stays there? We would have to back out of our Poly contract, we are well within our 10 day cancellation window, though I’m not sure how good I’d feel about doing that. I’d also lose the 100 2018 banked Poly points in that contract, which seems counter intuitive to the whole RR March UY switch mentioned above. I guess it’s a good decision to have, but just unsure what to do.

Well, one thing to remember is if your Poly contract comes with 100 extra banked 2018 points you can rent those out for $15-16, reducing your true price on the Poly contract to ~$130pp. So that would make it about $3k cheaper than 200 @ RIV, which isn't nothing. I would enjoy having home priority at both resorts and use those two 100 point contracts indepdendtly (alternate using them with banking and borrowing).

Do you need the 100 Riviera points right away? If you can, I would wait until early next year. You could buy points in February 2020, get Feb 2019 UY and Feb 2020 UY points and only pay 1/12th the MF for the Feb 2019 UY. They will bank the Feb 2019 points for you even though it's well past the banking deadline. Even if the price goes up a few dollars by then, you'd still be much better off by getting double points and only paying a fraction of the MF.

Finally spoke with our guide, seems Feb is the only UY affected. Points for 2019 start March 1st, upside is no dues until Feb 1st 2020, though no one pays dues until Dec 16th, 2019, if that’s true that benefit is very limited for Feb UY.

He did discourage us from changing UY, but did say we could if we wanted. Certainly emphasized the issues of separate UY, but again, didn’t say we couldn’t.

We are definitely leaning towards adding with a March UY with 2019 points. Here is the math I hadn’t considered much, and muddies the water a bit for me now. 100 Poly points at $145pp and 100 RR points at $188pp is nearly identical in cost to 200 RR when you factor in the $3700 developer discount until May 31st on a 200 point purchase. Not sure what to do about that, get fully unrestricted direct points at RR (with higher MF) or have restricted resale Poly points for stays there? We would have to back out of our Poly contract, we are well within our 10 day cancellation window, though I’m not sure how good I’d feel about doing that. I’d also lose the 100 2018 banked Poly points in that contract, which seems counter intuitive to the whole RR March UY switch mentioned above. I guess it’s a good decision to have, but just unsure what to do.

You like PVB and would be using those points to stay there? If so I'd be inclined to stick with that contract - sounds like a nice one and it's in your Feb UY.

The Riviera contract/UY is tough - as I mentioned I went thru all the debate of not getting those points with VGC. It still can bug me when I think of it but also I've really not been sorry that I stuck wth the UY that I wanted those in. If you will use the Riviera mostly for Riviera then it would probably be fine. Or for rationalization think of the 2018 points in the PVB contract as offsetting the missing 2019 points in the Riviera and keep everything in a Feb UY. :D In essence you'll end up with the same number of points as if you bought all 200 at Riviera for a similar price in the March UY and you'll have 2 home resorts that you'd like to stay at.

Last edited:
Well, one thing to remember is if your Poly contract comes with 100 extra banked 2018 points you can rent those out for $15-16, reducing your true price on the Poly contract to ~$130pp. So that would make it about $3k cheaper than 200 @ RIV, which isn't nothing. I would enjoy having home priority at both resorts and use those two 100 point contracts indepdendtly (alternate using them with banking and borrowing).

Do you need the 100 Riviera points right away? If you can, I would wait until early next year. You could buy points in February 2020, get Feb 2019 UY and Feb 2020 UY points and only pay 1/12th the MF for the Feb 2019 UY. They will bank the Feb 2019 points for you even though it's well past the banking deadline. Even if the price goes up a few dollars by then, you'd still be much better off by getting double points and only paying a fraction of the MF.
I appreciate your thoughts. I am interested in getting further info on your comments. First, how did you come to $3k cheaper with 100 banked points, are you assuming renting all 200 of the now 2019 points. You are right though, any amount saved by renting isn’t nothing, and while I doubt we’d do that, it has value that we would have to add into the equation.

Also, I’m curious why you say Disney would give me 2019 points in Feb 2020 when they won’t do it now. We don’t need them immediately, but if I could get them we could bank them into 2020 immediately for a fall RIV stay. We would want them at least 11 months prior to assure we can book what and when we want for the fall. It also concerns me of a price increase.

You like PVB and would be using those points to stay there? If so I'd be inclined to stick with that contract - sounds like a nice one and it's in your Feb UY.

The Riviera contract/UY is tough - as I mentioned I went thru all the debate of not getting those points with VGC. It still can bug me when I think of it but also I've really not been sorry that I stuck wth the UY that I wanted those in. If you will use the Riviera mostly for Riviera then it would probably be fine. Or for rationalization think of the 2018 points in the PVB contract as offsetting the missing 2019 points in the Riviera and keep everything in a Feb UY. :D In essence you'll end up with the same number of points as if you bought all 200 at Riviera for a similar price in the March UY and you'll have 2 home resorts that you'd like to stay at.

I think we are really leaning towards keeping the Poly contract and just doing the 100 RIV. I’m kind of the numbers guy, my wife is more of a go with your heart type. She likes and wants Poly stays, so she wants to keep it. That’s all I really wanted, was her to give me a reason to keep it. I think in the long run, the Poly contract will hold better value and would erase any possible savings the RIV would get us, should we ever need to sell. As for the UY, I’m still torn, I tend to think we will use the RIV and Poly contracts separately in alternating years to stay at each, banking and borrowing to get the stays we want. When I think of it that way, the separate UY doesn’t bother me nearly as much.

Also, I’m curious why you say Disney would give me 2019 points in Feb 2020 when they won’t do it now. We don’t need them immediately, but if I could get them we could bank them into 2020 immediately for a fall RIV stay. We would want them at least 11 months prior to assure we can book what and when we want for the fall. It also concerns me of a price increase.

Sorry I meant March- they give you points in the current use year. So if you bought in February 2020 it's still the March 2019 use year. You'd get 100 points to start then another 100 just 30 days later - plus you only pay 1/12th prorated MF for those March 2019 points. Even if the price went up $10 you'd still be way ahead - only pay $0.69 in dues vs $6.92 today, plus get "double" points to rent out or use.

Sorry I meant March- they give you points in the current use year. So if you bought in February 2020 it's still the March 2019 use year. You'd get 100 points to start then another 100 just 30 days later - plus you only pay 1/12th prorated MF for those March 2019 points. Even if the price went up $10 you'd still be way ahead - only pay $0.69 in dues vs $6.92 today, plus get "double" points to rent out or use.
Actually, you'd pay 11/12th of prorated ADs for March 2020 points. You wouldn't pay anything for 2019 points.

I originally bought SSR for the cheap points but looking at how tough bookings were this fall we just added at BWV.

I originally bought at SSR and my first add was a direct at SSR same UY (only 25 pts since that was what was required for member benefits 2 years ago). I have since added 100-150 at BWV and AKV for the booking advantage.

25 points is not enough to plan with for vacations so I wanted it to be the same resort as my existing contract. Since you are needing to buy 75 points, and 75 can support entire vacations in studios (with banking and borrowing), I would get where you really want to stay so you get the home resort advantage where you really want it.

We were hoping for a February use year since it’s more common and easier to find resale contracts when we want to add later but we really want the 2019 points since we’re planning a trip for May 2020 and plan to go every other year which would leave us always borrowing. Disney is just not making buying Riviera simple for me between this and the resale restrictions.

@Rush I definitely think you should keep the Poly contract since your wife loves it and you started your post with your having trouble booking studios at other resorts. I feel you on the use year dilemma though.

Added:I hadn’t considered though... will you ever want a 1 bedroom at the Riviera? You might want to buy more than 100 that are able to be used there then.

If it were me buying 75 points from DVC directly I would buy them for Old Key west. We currently have a small BWV contract. It would be nice to have a second home. We own BWV and would consider OKW as they have great studio point charts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter