If all Resort Points cost the same which resort would you buy and why

We own at BWV which has an excellent location, multiple dining options, Boardwalk view, friendship boats, and great nightlife. I even love the clown slide. It actually may be my favorite slide on property. We purchased there because I had been trying to convince my husband to buy in for a while and when we rented points at BWV he said well we can buy in if we buy here. Of course I found a contract very quickly after that. If I could choose an add on not considering point charts or cost it would be VGF. VGF has the nicer pool chairs, Alice kids area, monorail, and dining and shopping options. I love the Mary Poppins theme in the villas building. I will say since you also mentioned the Poly I enjoy the Polynesian resort but at roughly the same point cost per night I wouldn't choose to stay there over VGF. Of course everyone has their favorites and if you love dole whips Poly may be your place.

Thanks all I guess I really worded this question wrong.
what I’m trying to get at is if money were no issue, no regard for how many points you have to use, what you could sell it for,, or anything related to value where would you stay?
in other words what’s your favorite resort? Where would you buy And why? Take, can I get better value for my points, all that out of the equation just where Would you pick to stay if the whole thing was free?
I would find it hard to pick somewhere besides Beach Club for a park heavy visit over the next several years. Close to Epcot and closeish to DHS, absolutely the most attractive resort, tons of nearby dining, and that pool. Next choices would be Saratoga Springs (Disney Springs, murphy beds, and pools), Animal Kingdom (Animals and pools), Boardwalk (Location and dining).

For a trip with only intermittent park visits though I'd pick OKW (space, porch, and layout). I don't have a ton of interest in Riviera, VGF, or Poly.

I think that if economics is a major factor, you shouldn't be buying a timeshare, which is a major capital expense and - as many of us discovered this year - carries risk. Buy where you want to stay most often even if that means more money. Because spending 25 years wanting to be at a resort you are not at is not worth the few thousand dollars in up front costs in the overall scheme of WDW vacations - especially if the resort you want to be at is one of the small in demand resorts. (It may, however be that the term LEFT is a deciding factor, but the cost shouldn't be). And that in the end, the resort I find most appealing might not appeal to you at all, and shouldn't influence your decision. I might find being close to Epcot of primary importance, you might be a MK person. I might like the woodsy theming at Wilderness, you might like the elegance of VGF. I might like the highrise Riviera, you might like the spread out resort feel of OKW.

I think that if economics is a major factor, you shouldn't be buying a timeshare, which is a major capital expense and - as many of us discovered this year - carries risk. Buy where you want to stay most often even if that means more money. Because spending 25 years wanting to be at a resort you are not at is not worth the few thousand dollars in up front costs in the overall scheme of WDW vacations - especially if the resort you want to be at is one of the small in demand resorts. (It may, however be that the term LEFT is a deciding factor, but the cost shouldn't be). And that in the end, the resort I find most appealing might not appeal to you at all, and shouldn't influence your decision. I might find being close to Epcot of primary importance, you might be a MK person. I might like the woodsy theming at Wilderness, you might like the elegance of VGF. I might like the highrise Riviera, you might like the spread out resort feel of OKW.
Thank you, the economics are not an issue, its just that we just booked a 4 night vacation at The Grand Floridan, which is our favorite. I looked at what we were paying for the 4 nights and said to myself if I buy at the VGF, the money would be the same as if I booked the same trip over the next 4-5 years (and thats saying they dont raise prices). We love Disney and usually go once a year, so I figured for the initial cost outlay and the annual dues, if I go every year for the next 10 years or so (which of course life can change) which Im sure we would economically it makes sense. Am I looking at this correctly?

Grand Californian, because location!

At WDW, I'd do Polynesian. I love the theming/vibe of the resort and the location. The transit options are great.

Polynesian is my home resort and I live on the West Coast.

Thank you, the economics are not an issue, its just that we just booked a 4 night vacation at The Grand Floridan, which is our favorite. I looked at what we were paying for the 4 nights and said to myself if I buy at the VGF, the money would be the same as if I booked the same trip over the next 4-5 years (and thats saying they dont raise prices). We love Disney and usually go once a year, so I figured for the initial cost outlay and the annual dues, if I go every year for the next 10 years or so (which of course life can change) which Im sure we would economically it makes sense. Am I looking at this correctly?

I think you are looking at it correctly. If VGF is where you love and want to stay most of the time, then you'll need to own points there. The home resort advantage is very important at VGF. It's a small resort with high demand.

Do be aware that the cash side of things and the DVC side do have differences. Daily housekeeping is an extra cost on the DVC side. Bed arrangements are different from the cash side, such as having a sofa bed instead of the second regular bed.

As long as you do your research and know what you're getting, I think DVC may be a good choice for you.

Possibly. Make sure you understand the differences and between a timeshare and a hotel room. We've owned DVC for almost twenty years, and if all I needed was a studio, I would have preferred cash...nicer rooms, better cancellation policies, easier to book, daily housekeeping. DVC made sense for us because we wanted space for our family to spread out. DVC might save you money....it is as likely to enable the Mouse more efficiently siphon money from your wallet....however, you may find you get value from it.

I'm on the west coast and we first bought into DVC at Aulani. We are SCUBA divers and love Hawaii so that resort was a no-brainer for us. We have easily traded to WDW at 7 months. Because there are so many resorts there and we aren't super picky about where we stay at WDW, Aulani points have worked well for us. We bought enough points to be able to book a two bedroom every other year at Aulani. We like to spread out and my girls each took a friend one trip. In March of this year, we were able to snag a small VGC contract after being on the wait list for two years. We are no longer CA residents and we are very happy to have that little contract for the opportunity to book at 11 months at VGC.

We had previously owned a timeshare in Hawaii that we inherited from my husband's parents. It was built in the 70's, was bare bones, and located in an undesirable part of Honolulu. We didn't want to stay there and trading through RCI yielded less than desirable results. It's value on the open market was nil and we ended up just giving it back to the timeshare company to get out of the dues obligation. Take it from someone with experience - buy where you want to stay. If you don't want to stay where you own, it's not valuable to you.

To elaborate a bit further on why I would choose Beach Club if I was purchasing 100pts irregardless of price.

1) Walking distance to 2 parks, including EPCOT. Whether traveling with family or solo, the focus of the trip is often the EPCOT festivals so having easy access is convenient. Also, during rundisney weekends it's easy for non-runners to spectate.

2) You have easy access to your car and a hotel rolling cart, unlike at BWV. This is an essential for my family's longer visits and we've had some negative experience with Bell services elsewhere.

3) Storm-a-long Bay's lazy river. Honestly, it is the only feature pool at any of the WDW resorts that interests me. Otherwise, I'd be just as happy at one of the OKW quiet pools where I'd probably have the entire pool to myself. For those who say they book feature pools for the kids, I grew up going to the Disney resort pools. All I cared about at that age was that there was water and it was wet. Occasionally, I wanted other children to have swim races with. Everything else lost its novelty quickly.

4) I like both the quick service and the restaurant dining options in the area.

All of the resorts have their positives and negatives, it's just a matter of figuring out what your family priorities are and choosing the best fit from there.

Yes, buying makes sense for you. We initially went to WDW and stayed off site. Trip 2 we stayed at POR. We have 3 kids so we had to do resorts that could accommodate 5 in a room. We knew we wanted to go about every 8-12 months. We also liked condo style accommodations we were used to renting at beach. Where us parents could close bedroom door between us and kids. And having a W/D is very important. So it made sense for us to buy DVC.

We have stayed in all east coast DVC but GFV and the new RR. Of all we stayed at, I probably love BCV the most. For the location and quaintness. BWV is a close 2nd (bumps up over BCV due to lower point rooms with standard view but you are looking more for what overall resort we like most and not any kind of monetary considers).

We hate the MK area. It is conjested and hard to navigate, driving. Then the resorts are also hectic with all the strollers. I get that families with littles want to be near MK but we are not into MK and our kids are all 20-somethings so we just like to avoid MK area.

Also Poly and BLT are some of the nosiest rooms we have stayed in. I am a light sleeper. So then I become cranky on vacay. OKW is also one I find noisy. OKW is also not walking distance to anything. No parks and not DS. Can boat to DS but big whoop. AKV also has this downside...no walking to anything. And to boot the busing can be awful from AKV. But the theme and animals and dining venues at AKV is phenomenal. So we like to stay every so often. We also like to stay at SSR every so often. Like to walk into DS for drinks or dining. Like how quiet it is there.

The 2 WL resorts. We like them a little too. They are a bit removed from the hubub of the MK and monorail resorts. I particularly LOVE it there at Xmas time. The cabins at CCV are awesome. Havent stayed in but did tour and would LOVE to stay in one.

If I won 100 points, I would choose one of the Grands! VGC because I want that wonderful park entrance & an excuse to get back to DL more often! 😉 VGF because it’s lovely, has larger-feeling studios, will very soon be walkable to MK ... & I don’t own there ... yet!! 😆🤩

Riviera (Skyliner to 2 parks, larger studios, dining), Beach Club (walkable to 2 parks, Stormalong Bay’s lazy river, the Boardwalk), Bay Lake (walkable to MK, dining), and Animal Kingdom -Jambo House (ambience/savanna, dining) would all be next in line!!! But there are several others I haven’t been able to stay at yet that would probably make my list for their own reasons! 😉🥰

If I was given a free 100 points, I'd like either the BCV for the pool and the ability to walk around the entire resort in the rain and stay dry or VGF because I like the styling of the resort.

Now I don't own either one of them. Instead I bought BWV because the price was cheaper and the standard rooms are cheaper, but I would have been smarter to have split my points between BWV and BCV. I also own at BLT because the cost and points are cheaper, and I love being able to walk back to the resort.

I thought your question was worded well and is easily understood. We have 300 points at the Grand Floridian and love it. Why? We are between kids and grandkids and travel for the last few years and into the next few years is as a couple or with friends. I very much appreciate the theming of the Grand. We enjoy the reserved atmosphere and all the nooks and crannies to sit and enjoy drinks and socializing in the evenings. (Nooks and crannies: porches and verandas, two pools, sand and beach area, at the Poly beach too.) I enjoy the close proximity of the spa, workout equipment, and the short walk to the GF main building. I appreciate being on the monorail and soon the walkway to the Magic Kingdom will be complete. I enjoy walking and OFTEN when coming back from Hollywood or EPCOT get off the monorail at the transportation center and walk through the Poly to the GF. Many of our favorite eating places are at the GF, Poly and the Contemporary. All are so easy to get to from the GFVillas. The concierge folks at the GF villas are wonderful. (Main hotel not as much.) We also love the beautiful split bathrooms and the use of washer/dryers in the one and two bedrooms. If staying in a studio room there is an excellent place to do laundry on floor 4. I enjoy watching the Electric Parade in the evenings and also watching the fireworks at Magic Kingdom from the GF Gasparilla Terrace. Between the three monorail resorts there is fine dining and quick service eateries that we enjoy. We also like the store to buy breakfast items and snacks. Having said the latter: I do hope to try the Riviera next fall during wine and food. I want to stay once to see if points added there may be beneficial. This January we are staying at Bay Lake for the first time with points. Not something I wanted to do as I love GF but it was a compromise since we are doing a split stay at the Contemporary instead of at GF. NOTE: I do hope the villas are going to be updated a bit in the future. The light colored furniture and carpets could use some updating. (Not so much in style but coverings. Stains and scratches etc. need to be addressed.) The paint in the rooms needs redone. However, the bathrooms and kitchens are still very nice. There just is a need to refresh after 8 years or so of use. Hope this gives an overview opinion of the GF Villas. We bought from Laurie K. in 2014. No pressure. She was great. We are very happy to be a part of DVC at the Grand Floridian. (Please know you may go to Saratoga Springs and meet with a DVC sales person representing all DVC properties. You can go see your top choices before making a decision for your family on a DVC purchase.)

OP worded his question just fine but there are multiple answers depending on the situation. For example, as a current owner I'd likely go for CCV points if all are the same price just to add onto my 70 there. We already have 255 at BWV which would be what I'd go for if we had no points at all yet. But that is based on BWV allowing point conserving with the standard view as well as the location to Epcot. If I were to just pick based on what actual resort we love the most and even take out transport/park going...just resort overall...then I'd maybe pick AKV. Love the theme and the dining and the animal viewing. Then the resort we love the most with location in mind, BCV.

Last edited:
I would have picked BCV before we bought in because we rented points there and loved it. SAB and location are perfect and I loved the theme. Then we stayed at BWV and I realized how much I like people watching with my coffee or evening beverages. Quickly began to love the clown slide (less walking than BCV) and that it was easier to access the pool bar than BCV. I would like more points there if we “won” some. We also own a small contract at PVB. Love the resort, but the rooms are just so dark. And we just bought some VGF points.. mainly because it has a longer life than BWV, rooms are bright, monorail loop and now a walking path that will be going to MK.

Beach Club if you love EPCOT lovely resort great dining and pool area
AKL - great one for the animals and concierge- I’ve stayed concierge several times and love it!
BLT - who doesn’t enjoy strolling to the Magic Kingdom? Oh you don’t ? No problem - take the monorail! Great dining there or hop the monorail or boat and great dining close by!
Copper Creek - cabins are always fun!

I would say either BCV or BWW as far as my favorite today resorts. We have younger kids (7 and 4) and just walking to Epcot and HS is so much easier than buses everywhere. BCV has storm a long bay which is an amazing pool. Its almost too big to an extent as with two kids its a two person job keeping track of them at that place lol. BWV has better views (boardwalk views are fun) and a little better dining options (but honestly its a 5 min walk form BWV to BCV so to me they all kind of share the same restaurants). And on non kids trips Jelllyrolls is a ton of fun.
The downside to me would be the 2042 expiration. I am 39 so in 21 years I still plan on going to the parks and I would hate to lose the points. Poly is nice, but the lack of 1/2 bedrooms hurts on longer trips. SSR and OKW are my least favorite resorts because of the buses there.

We have not stayed at VGF yet (only DVC we have not stayed in not counting HHI and Vero). It's really just a factor of the points chart, just a lot of points per night there. But if points were not a factor I think I would stay there a lot. We have had dinner in the resort several times and I love the "feel" of it there.

Riveria easiest to Star Wars and Epcot. Drinking around the world with a easy skyliner ride home.

Bay Lake Tower. We love the theme. Walk to MK, and one-bedroom villa has 2 bathrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!