If arrive a day early ? Backstage magic?

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
I’m looking at my first ABD but have a question.

I’d be coming from the UK so think it’s best to arrive a day earlier for backstage magic, however it says you get picked up from LAX airport and be transferred to your first hotel. If I arrive a day earlier will I still be picked up from the airport or do I have to make my own way as it’s a day early before the tour starts?

I would ask when you book. We are getting transfers provided even though we are arriving 2 days early. But my understanding is that the policy on this has not always been consistent.

ETA: We booked our pre-days on our own, but are staying at the same hotel that ABD does.

Last edited:
I would ask when you book. We are getting transfers provided even though we are arriving 2 days early. But my understanding is that the policy on this has not always been consistent.
Thanks I will. :)

It’s not a problem getting taxi transfer if needed, just less to worry about if they ABD can sort transfers like they say :)

Highly recommended that you book a pre-night through ABD. When you do this the transfer from LAX to the Loews hotel is included.

My transfer was included for my pre-day and I did not book with ABD, but it does sound like they are changing some of their rules.

When I did my Backstage Magic ABD in 2014, I did book my pre-stay night at the Loews hotel and my transfer from LAX was included. Once advantage for me booking this through ABD was that I did not need to change rooms at the hotel. Also, my shuttle driver was very knowledgeable and as a solo female traveller, he suggested "safe" areas around the hotel for me to visit as well as areas to avoid. I preferred to book everything through ABD so that I knew it was all handled.

I just returned from this Adventure. If you book the pre-night through Disney, they will pick you up at LAX and take you to your hotel (Loews). If you don't book the pre-night with Disney, then you'll likely be on your own for the transfer. It was about $300 for the one pre-night. An Uber/Lyft from LAX to the area would probably be around $40+, so you're paying about $250 for the hotel. That's high, but I opted to do it for the convenience factor. The transfer is really nice, too. They send a black SUV with suited driver who handles your luggage for you. If I were you, I'd pay the extra few dollars for the convenience, especially if you've not visited the US or have concerns about getting around (it's really not hard to do it on your own, though). Have a great trip!

Thanks I will. :)

It’s not a problem getting taxi transfer if needed, just less to worry about if they ABD can sort transfers like they say :)

I lived in LA for many years and agree you would have no problem arranging your own transfer. You can walk out of the airport and find all manner of taxi and whatnot. But I understand why you would want to know ABD's policy. I figured at the price we were paying for our trip, I wanted to take advantage of every included service.

I just returned from this Adventure. If you book the pre-night through Disney, they will pick you up at LAX and take you to your hotel (Loews). If you don't book the pre-night with Disney, then you'll likely be on your own for the transfer. It was about $300 for the one pre-night. An Uber/Lyft from LAX to the area would probably be around $40+, so you're paying about $250 for the hotel. That's high, but I opted to do it for the convenience factor. The transfer is really nice, too. They send a black SUV with suited driver who handles your luggage for you. If I were you, I'd pay the extra few dollars for the convenience, especially if you've not visited the US or have concerns about getting around (it's really not hard to do it on your own, though). Have a great trip!
Oh great thanks for your advice :)

(Sorry if this post is too old)

$250 is too high for the Loews? When I search, I don’t see anything below $409 a night (plus tax) per night (that’s for a standard double room for 2 adults).

DH and I are doing the early August DLR and S Cali ABD, and I’m trying to decide how early we should arrive (have to take the kids up north of Santa Barbara to gmas house before the tour starts), where to fly into, where to stay, and when to have a rental car. (We’re staying at DL w the kids for a further five nights after our ABD.)

DH and I are doing the early August DLR and S Cali ABD, and I’m trying to decide how early we should arrive (have to take the kids up north of Santa Barbara to gmas house before the tour starts), where to fly into, where to stay, and when to have a rental car. (We’re staying at DL w the kids for a further five nights after our ABD.)
I believe that ABD allows you to park your car at the Grand Californian and they'll transport you to the Loews hotel for the start of the ABD. Then, when you finish, your car is right there. Personally, I really prefer to fly into John Wayne Airport (SNA). MUCH smaller than LAX, MUCH closer to Disneyland. It can be a bit more expensive, but it's totally worth it to me!

Sayhello

I believe that ABD allows you to park your car at the Grand Californian and they'll transport you to the Loews hotel for the start of the ABD. Then, when you finish, your car is right there. Personally, I really prefer to fly into John Wayne Airport (SNA). MUCH smaller than LAX, MUCH closer to Disneyland. It can be a bit more expensive, but it's totally worth it to me!

Sayhello
LAX has long been one of my least favorite airports! We greatly prefer John Wayne. I’m not sure if we’ll fly in there tho, since we’re dropping kids off with gma north of Santa Barbara - might be easier to fly in there instead, and then fly back from San Diego (finishing the trip at Legoland). Or we might start at Legoland, take kids to SB while we’re on the ABD, and then finish the trip with Disneyland and fly back out of John Wayne (only our DLR portion of the trip is booked so far).

Sayhello

Agree on all accounts with sayhello. We live in Northern California and drove down for our trip. We did two nights at Universal Hilton first and then on the morning of our adventure start we drove down to the Grand and left the car and took the ABD provided transfer from the Grand to Loews. SNA is a great airport - we always fly into SNA for our DIsneyland trips.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I figured since it's about pre-ABD logistics someone might be able to give us some advice. Driving is not an issue for us, if necessary.

We are flying from the East Coast for our Backstage Magic ABD trip in mid-August. We have one pre-night booked with ABD at Loews (8/17). We are planning to fly to CA on 8/15, attend a baseball game in Anaheim on 8/15 or 8/16 (depending on flight arrival), and then do our own touring in LA on 8/17 (and 8/18--first official day of the ABD).

We don't know if it makes more sense to fly into SNA (less travel options for us), spend the night(s) in Anaheim, and then travel to LA or whether we should make LA our home base for the entire trip. Someone had recommended taking Amtrak to the stadium from LA. The last time I went to an Angels game was in 2001, and we were staying in Santa Monica and drove. We will not be doing any theme parks pre-ABD.

How would you plan this pre-stay?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I figured since it's about pre-ABD logistics someone might be able to give us some advice. Driving is not an issue for us, if necessary.

We are flying from the East Coast for our Backstage Magic ABD trip in mid-August. We have one pre-night booked with ABD at Loews (8/17). We are planning to fly to CA on 8/15, attend a baseball game in Anaheim on 8/15 or 8/16 (depending on flight arrival), and then do our own touring in LA on 8/17 (and 8/18--first official day of the ABD).

We don't know if it makes more sense to fly into SNA (less travel options for us), spend the night(s) in Anaheim, and then travel to LA or whether we should make LA our home base for the entire trip. Someone had recommended taking Amtrak to the stadium from LA. The last time I went to an Angels game was in 2001, and we were staying in Santa Monica and drove. We will not be doing any theme parks pre-ABD.

How would you plan this pre-stay?

Since you are planning to go to the Angels game on a weekday, I would not stay up in LA - weekday traffic between LA and Anaheim isn't going to be fun, avoid it if possible. LA is really best toured with a car and since driving isn't an issue, I would fly to LAX (if you could get decent prices to SNA, that would be even better), rent a car and stay either near the parks to start getting into the Disney mood or a hotel in one of the beach towns in OC. Go to the game on the 15th or 16th (drive from your hotel). If you want to keep your car for your LA touring (I would suggest keeping it but it really depends what you want to see), drive back up to LA/westside area for sightseeing on the 17th and check-in at Loews. You could either return the car at a location close to the Loew's or back at LAX and take the ABD provided transportation back up to the Loew's on either the 17th or 18th.

LAX has long been one of my least favorite airports! We greatly prefer John Wayne. I’m not sure if we’ll fly in there tho, since we’re dropping kids off with gma north of Santa Barbara - might be easier to fly in there instead, and then fly back from San Diego (finishing the trip at Legoland). Or we might start at Legoland, take kids to SB while we’re on the ABD, and then finish the trip with Disneyland and fly back out of John Wayne (only our DLR portion of the trip is booked so far).
I'm really curious what you mean by "take kids to SB while we're on the ABD". Do you mean the first day of the ABD, before it starts? Because you can't bring the kids along with you on the ABD unless they're a part of your reservation. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

Sayhello

ETA: OK, right after I posted this, I figured out you must mean to take the kids to SB *for* while you're on the ABD. Is that correct?

I'm really curious what you mean by "take kids to SB while we're on the ABD". Do you mean the first day of the ABD, before it starts? Because you can't bring the kids along with you on the ABD unless they're a part of your reservation. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

Sayhello

ETA: OK, right after I posted this, I figured out you must mean to take the kids to SB *for* while you're on the ABD. Is that correct?
Yes. The kids will be at gma’s house up by Santa Barbara while DH and I are on the ABD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter