If It Sinks, We Drinks: Spring 2018 Dining Report *Complete 7/29 Les Halles & Via Napoli

I just caught up. Asher is so big!! He is a little man now LOL.

Cape May looks fantastic. We haven't been in so long, since the buffets are so expensive now. The shellfish might be worth it. Thanks for the nice review.

Liberty Tree also looks great. I need to get back there, but we never seem to fit it in.

Day 3 continued…

The walk out of MK and bus ride back made Asher’s nap on the late side, then he slept FOREVER. I went to the quiet pool, but got bored there by myself (not like me) and I went back to the room to chill on the balcony. We wanted to go to Epcot to see Illuminations and by the time Asher woke up, that meant we should eat at Epcot and ADR choices were looking at bit slim. There was an opening for Tokyo Dining, however, and that was a spot I thought we should check out again as we hadn’t been there in ages, so that’s where we ended up.

We checked in and I remembered how loud that restaurant can be and how crazy the waiting area is since it’s shared with Teppan Edo. I was on edge for some reason and the noise didn’t help. I was glad when we were finally seated after about a 15 minute wait. We were in the section over by the bar and it was a bit calmer at least. I’m really excited about the idea of a signature restaurant in the Japan pavilion, BTW. I hope it’s a nice, relaxing atmosphere.

I started with something to calm my nerves:

sake.JPG
Sampling Sake Flight
Karatanba (Dry), Hana Awaka (Sparkling), Nigori (Unfiltered Sweet) -- $18.00

Sake hasn’t ever been a favorite drink of mine, but I hadn’t had it in awhile and wanted to try the sparkling and Nigori. The sparkling was my favorite, followed by the Nigori. I didn’t care as much for the dry variety, but that wasn’t surprising because I never have. I still think I’d rather just have a glass of pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc, but it was fun to mix it up.

Chad had an Asahi, I didn’t bother with a photo. The service was impeccable, we had a CM in training with an experienced server and that usually equates to great service. They’re a little formal at this restaurant, it’s more like you would expect in an upscale restaurant in Japan, so I think that’s what they’re going for. It’s a nice experience.

I was still in need of something soothing, so I ordered Asari Clam Miso Soup with Green Onion -- $7.00. I neglected to get a photo, but it looked like miso soup. The addition of the clams were nice and I enjoyed it.

Chad ordered something more substantial:

squid.JPG
Spicy Calamari Tempura
Lightly Fried Calamari Steak with Spicy Miso Sauce -- $9.25

The portion was much bigger but I forgot to take the photo until we had eaten a few. These were very thick pieces of squid, not the typical skinny rings, and it was VERY tender. The sauce was good too, not as spicy as I would like though.

I wasn’t terribly hungry and decided to just order a couple of sushi rolls for dinner.

spicy crunchy.JPG
Spicy Crunchy Roll
Tuna and Salmon mix, topped with Tempura Crunch, Dynamite and Volcano drizzle -- $12.00

firecracker.JPG
Fire Cracker Roll
Tempura Shrimp Roll with Wakame Salad and Jalapeno finished with Eel Sauce, Shredded Red Pepper, and Sriracha drizzle -- $16.00

This still ended up being too much food and I regret that I had to leave a couple pieces of each. They were both excellent. I’m not sure which is which, but the dynamite and volcano drizzles are spicy mayo or wasabi mayo. I liked the spicy a bit better. The firecracker roll was my favorite though, with a good amount of spice and the briny wakame salad. I was completely stuffed.

Chad went hog wild and got a huge dinner:

bento.JPG
Bento Box
Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura, New York Sirloin Steak with Garlic-Ginger Sauce, Chicken Teriyaki, Tuna and Salmon Poke Salad with Sesame-Ginger Dressing, Tuna Roll, Salmon Roll, Shrimp Nigiri Roll, and Vegetable Roll -- $34.00

I guess he was feeling like a bit of everything. I had my doubts as to whether he could even make a dent in this, even though he was sharing the chicken with Asher (who we also ordered a bowl of rice for, but weren’t charged). That description looks a bit different from the photo…I’m not sure what was in the roll, but the nigiri were tuna, salmon, and shrimp.

Chad said he liked all of it and his favorite was the poke salad, which was a little spicy. I tried a piece of the steak and a piece of tempura that was kabocha squash, both were delicious. I couldn’t believe it, but Chad polished this off.

Asher was happy with his rice and chicken, but mostly played with his new telescope.

By the time we finished and got downstairs, it was five minutes (“In just five minutes…”) until the start of Illuminations, so we found the closest good spot and watched the show, which is my favorite. We haven’t been bothering with nighttime shows because with a baby/toddler/preschooler it tends to make bedtime too late, but I thought we should make sure to catch this one in case it gets replaced soon. I’m glad we did, everyone enjoyed it.

Afterward, we went back to the room to shower and get to sleep to be ready for Asher’s big birthday the following day.

We've enjoyed Tokyo Dining in the past, but I'm on the fence about the menu changed. I currently have it booked for our anniversary. I've contemplated changing it, but your review looks so good I'll probably keep it!

Love the Sake flight! Flights work well at calming one's nerves. Looks like a great meal when booked last minute. Can't go wrong with their excellent sushi! And getting to see Illuminations with only 5 minutes to wait is nice as waiting for fireworks are one of the reasons why we avoid the nighttime shows.

Day 3 continued…

The walk out of MK and bus ride back made Asher’s nap on the late side, then he slept FOREVER. I went to the quiet pool, but got bored there by myself (not like me) and I went back to the room to chill on the balcony. We wanted to go to Epcot to see Illuminations and by the time Asher woke up, that meant we should eat at Epcot and ADR choices were looking at bit slim. There was an opening for Tokyo Dining, however, and that was a spot I thought we should check out again as we hadn’t been there in ages, so that’s where we ended up.

We checked in and I remembered how loud that restaurant can be and how crazy the waiting area is since it’s shared with Teppan Edo. I was on edge for some reason and the noise didn’t help. I was glad when we were finally seated after about a 15 minute wait. We were in the section over by the bar and it was a bit calmer at least. I’m really excited about the idea of a signature restaurant in the Japan pavilion, BTW. I hope it’s a nice, relaxing atmosphere.
Toyko Dining is on my list to try. The rolls look delicious. I need to take longer vacations to get around to trying all the places on my list!

Loving your reviews so far. Our first trip was just over 14 years ago and DD was 20 months and you remember all the cute bits but honestly until I read this I'd forgotten all the trauma :sad2:
Especially the fact that with jetlag she was up at 2am the first morning and the latest we managed all week was 4am :).
Also we tried to put her then 5 year old brother in a double stroller with her one night for the fireworks and she wasn't having any of that - just kept shouting 'no too big' until we took him out (then she went to sleep and he went back in!)
Luckily we hadn't got to potty training so we didn't have that to contend with.
Can't wait to hear more.

I'm back and got caught up on your reviews! Never tried Tokyo Dining as my grands always want to go to Teppan Edo. Looks good though! Tried Cape May a couple times but haven't been back for a while. You reminded me why I haven't! lol

Glad to see Tokyo Dining was a hit for you all. I'll have to try that Sake flight on our next visit as the idea of sparkling sake sounds really good. We did Tokyo Dining on our last trip and were really impressed. We stuck to sushi, but Chad's bento box looks really good.

Glad you were able to get Illuminations in. Are they talking about replacing it?

I always seem to forget about Tokyo Dining so I've never tried it. It looks and sounds like a spot I'd like so will have to check it out on an upcoming trip. I am also very intrigued by the idea of a signature restaurant in that pavilion. Generally I'm not too bothered by news of things changing at WDW but replacing Illuminations has me distressed. I know the middle part with the globe is kinda boring but I adore the music and have such a sense of nostalgia for it. Especially the beginning... "Good evening... on behalf of WDW..." I hope they keep that -- especially the blowing out the torch part.

He was thrilled with this telescope though and it kept him occupied all morning:
Cutest picture ever!

He is so weird. He will eat both lemons and limes that way. I think it’s genetic, my first cousin was the same way as a kid.
:laughing: One of my 16 year olds still does the same thing!

Grilled Chicken, Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, and Dried Cranberries tossed with Field Greens in a Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette -- $16.00
Love this salad! I always get it without pecans (I'm allergic) and the dressing on the side. It is a perfect light lunch.

New England Pot Roast
served with Mashed Potatoes and Seasonal Vegetables -- $11.00
Oooh! I did not know they had a kid sized option of this.

I wasn’t terribly hungry and decided to just order a couple of sushi rolls for dinner.
Those look fantastic! What a great, last minute ressie!

By the time we finished and got downstairs, it was five minutes (“In just five minutes…”) until the start of Illuminations, so we found the closest good spot and watched the show, which is my favorite. We haven’t been bothering with nighttime shows because with a baby/toddler/preschooler it tends to make bedtime too late, but I thought we should make sure to catch this one in case it gets replaced soon. I’m glad we did, everyone enjoyed it.
What a perfect way to end the night!

I'm going to have to remember that bento box! It looks amazing and I'd eat every last thing in it. The calamari app looks pretty interesting too. I've never really had it before and those look like some deliciously meaty pieces.

This is really good to know, as I have not been impressed with MK food options either (sad that BOG has gone so down hill-lunch used to be great)!
But I have yet to try the above too (they are booked for august) and that gives me hope ;)

Yes, I am thrilled to have a couple of great dining options on our list for MK now. It makes that park much more enjoyable for me.

I just caught up. Asher is so big!! He is a little man now LOL.

Cape May looks fantastic. We haven't been in so long, since the buffets are so expensive now. The shellfish might be worth it. Thanks for the nice review.

Liberty Tree also looks great. I need to get back there, but we never seem to fit it in.

We will be skipping buffets for the most part in the near future due to the price and having a small child that won't eat enough to justify the cost.

We've enjoyed Tokyo Dining in the past, but I'm on the fence about the menu changed. I currently have it booked for our anniversary. I've contemplated changing it, but your review looks so good I'll probably keep it!

It had been so long since we had been there that I wasn't up to date on menu changes. I thought the menu had a good amount of variety though.

Love the Sake flight! Flights work well at calming one's nerves. Looks like a great meal when booked last minute. Can't go wrong with their excellent sushi! And getting to see Illuminations with only 5 minutes to wait is nice as waiting for fireworks are one of the reasons why we avoid the nighttime shows.

I think that's one of the reasons that Illuminations is my favorite, you can see it well enough from so many spots that there's no need to camp out and wait.

Toyko Dining is on my list to try. The rolls look delicious. I need to take longer vacations to get around to trying all the places on my list!

I know, right? We're up to 8 night stays and it still isn't enough time.

Well that makes Tokyo Dinning sound really good. It has never been on my radar before.

The food and service were great, we were impressed. We hadn't been interested in having Japanese food while at WDW in some time as we had so many excellent, authentic restaurants in our own. Unfortunately, a few of those have closed, so we're not oversaturated with Japanese food anymore.

Loving your reviews so far. Our first trip was just over 14 years ago and DD was 20 months and you remember all the cute bits but honestly until I read this I'd forgotten all the trauma :sad2:
Especially the fact that with jetlag she was up at 2am the first morning and the latest we managed all week was 4am :).
Also we tried to put her then 5 year old brother in a double stroller with her one night for the fireworks and she wasn't having any of that - just kept shouting 'no too big' until we took him out (then she went to sleep and he went back in!)
Luckily we hadn't got to potty training so we didn't have that to contend with.
Can't wait to hear more.

Oh no, sorry to dredge up some of those memories! I've found that even immediately after a trip, I'll just go ahead and block the traumatic moments out. LOL!:rolleyes1

I'm back and got caught up on your reviews! Never tried Tokyo Dining as my grands always want to go to Teppan Edo. Looks good though! Tried Cape May a couple times but haven't been back for a while. You reminded me why I haven't! lol

Yeah, it will probably be some time before we brave Cape May dinner again as well. :scared:

Glad to see Tokyo Dining was a hit for you all. I'll have to try that Sake flight on our next visit as the idea of sparkling sake sounds really good. We did Tokyo Dining on our last trip and were really impressed. We stuck to sushi, but Chad's bento box looks really good.

Glad you were able to get Illuminations in. Are they talking about replacing it?

The sparkling sake was fun, I would probably just get that one if we go back soon. The rumor is that a replacement for Illuminations is being developed, but that's all just rumor for now.

I always seem to forget about Tokyo Dining so I've never tried it. It looks and sounds like a spot I'd like so will have to check it out on an upcoming trip. I am also very intrigued by the idea of a signature restaurant in that pavilion. Generally I'm not too bothered by news of things changing at WDW but replacing Illuminations has me distressed. I know the middle part with the globe is kinda boring but I adore the music and have such a sense of nostalgia for it. Especially the beginning... "Good evening... on behalf of WDW..." I hope they keep that -- especially the blowing out the torch part.

I agree, the idea of Illuminations being replaced is very depressing. I also hope they keep some of it, especially the score, it always makes me tear up.

Oooh! I did not know they had a kid sized option of this.

The kid sized portion is also a perfect size lunch, especially if you're saving room for Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake (and who isn't?!?).

I'm going to have to remember that bento box! It looks amazing and I'd eat every last thing in it. The calamari app looks pretty interesting too. I've never really had it before and those look like some deliciously meaty pieces.

The bento box was a great option for someone wanting to try a bit of everything and two people could totally share an appetizer and the bento box and be happily full.

Day 4 – April 27
Happy Birthday Asher!

The first thing Asher said when he woke up on his birthday was “My presents are not here.” He was correct—the items I purchased the day before wouldn’t be delivered until later in the day, but I don’t know how he knew there weren’t presents yet. He wasn’t bummed for too long because we had a date with Minnie Mouse for her Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Café. I was dragging this morning and grateful that I had planned a “no-park” morning because I require a day off after every couple of rope drop days.

We checked in for breakfast and Cape May was much calmer for breakfast and the atmosphere was more relaxing. We were seated at one of the booth style tables again, which is nice and comfortable. We started off with coffee and a very small cup of orange juice for Asher to try, I knew he wouldn’t drink much since he’s a water drinker. I also couldn’t resist ordering a fun breakfast cocktail that you can see in this photo:

my 1st plate.JPG
Beachside Bubbles
Sparkling Wine with Orange-Guava-Passion Fruit --$7.00

A mimosa made with POG juice? Yes, please! I asked them to go light on the juice as I prefer my mimosas heavier on the sparkly. It was delicious and refreshing and not a bad price at just $7.

That’s my first plate there with some cold cuts at the bottom. Going around clockwise, I also had some hash with an egg on top, a vegetable and goat cheese scramble, some bacon, cauliflower and stewed tomatoes, and a piece of frittata. I guess I was feeling protein-y. I enjoyed all of it and appreciated the tomato and cauliflower dish, I like to have some vegetables with breakfast.

I grabbed some food for Asher while I was filling my first plate.

asher plate.JPG

That’s a chocolate chip pancake which he wouldn’t touch (weird), along with his typical sausage and fruit. He usually eats scrambled eggs well, but he’s not crazy about the Disney buffet version, so I only got him a couple of bites that I shoveled into his mouth when he was distracted.

Chad must have been feeling carb-y to balance my protein:

chad's plate.JPG

He was apparently trying to founder on tots after the Garden Grill incident, there’s also some potatoes behind the Mickey Waffles, and it looks like he at least snuck in some bacon and sausage.

The characters started coming by before Chad made it back to the table and Asher was swooning over Daisy. There was a lot of flirting and smoochy noises from her, it was super cute.

asher and daisy.JPG

All the character interaction was great and we were able to seat Asher with his back to the direction they approached from, so we managed to get a decent amount of food in him in between visits.

My second plate was sparse:

my 2nd plate.JPG

The empty spot is where I cut up more strawberries for Asher. I liked the tomato slices with the smoked salmon and accompaniments, I didn’t require a bagel that way. I love to try different toppings on Mickey waffles and this bananas foster sauce was delicious with the blob of whipped cream.

I didn’t get a photo of Chad’s second plate, but I’m guessing he had another pile of carbs. Actually, I seem to remember him getting some cold cuts and salmon on my recommendation.

Our server was great and made sure we were both back at the table and ready for him to bring out a birthday cupcake for Asher. He led the surrounding tables in singing “Happy Birthday”, it was sweet and Asher was thrilled to be able to blow out the candle on his cupcake. He also received a card signed by all the characters.

It was another fun character breakfast with good food and I thought it was a perfect birthday breakfast for a little boy who is obsessed with anything nautical or beachy. This is a great character breakfast without a crazy atmosphere, we would definitely go for this one again.

Day 4 to be continued...

Hopping over from your last report. Just a little behind ; ) .

I went to Cape May fir dinner for the first time a couple of weeks ago . I went right when it opened so it was pretty empty but can see what you are talking about as it was much more crowded as I left .

Ooey gooey toffee cake is awesome !

The EPCOT are resorts are my favorite - especially during a festival .

Looking forward to reading the rest .

Bento Box
Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura, New York Sirloin Steak with Garlic-Ginger Sauce, Chicken Teriyaki, Tuna and Salmon Poke Salad with Sesame-Ginger Dressing, Tuna Roll, Salmon Roll, Shrimp Nigiri Roll, and Vegetable Roll -- $34.00
Whoa that's A LOT of food! Glad he finished it and you all enjoyed your meal there. Steve and I ate there a couple years back when we went without the boys, last minute decision like you, and we were pleasantly surprised at how much we liked the food and atmosphere.

By the time we finished and got downstairs, it was five minutes (“In just five minutes…”) until the start of Illuminations, so we found the closest good spot and watched the show, which is my favorite
When we were there we actually watched Illuminations from the deck outside the dining room! Awesome view. I like Illuminations however it' not my favorite; I've already been to Disney 3x this year but keep missing it. I'd like to see it at least once more before they change it (IF they change it) so hoping it's still there in Nov.

I asked them to go light on the juice as I prefer my mimosas heavier on the sparkly.
:thumbsup2

Our server was great and made sure we were both back at the table and ready for him to bring out a birthday cupcake for Asher. He led the surrounding tables in singing “Happy Birthday”, it was sweet and Asher was thrilled to be able to blow out the candle on his cupcake. He also received a card signed by all the characters.
This is adorable, it does sound like the perfect start to a birth-DAY :goodvibes We've never done breakfast there but I love the cute character outfits!

Day 4 Lunch
After breakfast we went back to the room to get ready for some pool time and it took forever to get Asher ready. He was being incredibly difficult and we were frustrated that it was cutting into our pool time. Before we left I decided to cancel our lunch ADR at Beaches & Cream (GASP!) even though I was looking forward to eating there. It would have been too cumbersome at that point to go back to the room and change clothes again before lunch. It ended up being the right call because Asher made a little friend at the pool and they played in the sand together for a long time. Chad and I took turns making the long trek to the pool bar Hurricane Hannah’s to get drinks.

drinks.JPG
Storm Chaser
Skyy vodka, Bacardi superior rum, blue Curacao, sweet-and-sour and Sprite $9.75

Grand Margarita
Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila, Grand Marnier, fresh Lime Juice, and Sweet-and-Sour $11.00

Chad tried that blue one first and it seemed like an odd choice for him, he doesn’t usually drink vodka because it doesn’t sit well with him. I tried a sip and it tasted just like a blue popsicle, tasty but not really boozy enough and pretty sweet. The margarita was better, it tasted like all the pool bar margaritas.

It was past our typical lunchtime, so we finally coaxed Asher out of the pool with the promise of fries. After cancelling the ADR, we had decided to just simplify and eat lunch from the pool bar too so that we didn’t have to change clothes first.

Chad got a burger.

burger.JPG
1/3 lb Angus Cheeseburger - served with French Fries or Apple Slaw $10.29

He got this without the cheese and said it was fine, typical Disney QS burger. I think he had food envy though because I got this awesome meal:

seafood roll.JPG
Seafood Roll - on Parker House Bread with Citrus Mayonnaise. Served with French Fries or Apple Slaw $11.29

This was packed full of shrimp and scallops and shockingly delicious, as in “I can’t believe this is QS food.” The salad had hearts of palm, crunchy celery, onions, and diced tomatoes in a tangy mayo dressing. I ended up just eating the salad with a fork because the bread wasn’t necessary. The apple slaw was a refreshing change from the usual fries and it ended up being a light, healthy lunch with plenty of vegetables. Good thing, I needed to make up for the margaritas!

Asher had a kid’s cheeseburger bucket and was pleased.

bucket.JPG

By the time we finished lunch, it was past naptime and our brains were baked so we headed back to the room. I snoozed away with Asher thanks to the margaritas and crazy Chad went to work out, I think. On his way back to the room he picked up Asher’s presents from the package pickup counter so that he could open them when he woke up from his super long nap.

Day 4 to be continued…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter