If the new gondola, Skyliner, is successful, will they create more lines?

michelleiada

DIS Veteran
Just a thought, but if the Skyliner gondola line is successful, more cost effective and efficient with moving people than buses, is this just the beginning? Years from now will we see more gondola lines all over property? Will we one day, be able to hop on a gondola from Epcot resorts to Animal Kingdom? or to the water parks?

I certainly think the potential exists for additional lines but my personal opinion is that they should investigate other forms of transportation before going hogwild on these. Other than being a relatively low cost alternative they seem to have a lot of disadvantages. Obviously major disadvantages exist as far as operation in bad weather, people stranded in the air in a very hot cabin, etc.

I know a lot of people would rather seem additional monorails but they are on the opposite end of the spectrum as far as costs go. More research needs to be done to see what alternatives between these two exist and would work in a situation like this.

California Disneyland monorail does NOT have air conditioning. They do have windows that open. Yes, I have been in them when it is HOT outside.

I could see it to some extent (perhaps from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Animal Kingdom Park) - but I don't think we ever see them all over the place

Most extreme thing I could see would be replacing the monorail that goes from TTC to EPCOT with one (as those support beams are supposedly crumbling faster than the MK loop ones - were made "cheaper" to begin with) and something will have to be done with it in the (relatively) near future

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the gondolas are actually more futuristic than the monorail. Lots of people visit places just to ride a gondola. The monorail is more like a subway- not all that exciting to me.

That said, I don't think we'll see that many of these. They're cheaper than monorail but not the buses or probably even the boats. I think they built this one as a sort of gimmick, not as the first of many.

I was wondering whether, if this proves to be a success and more cost effective, could it actually REPLACE the existing Monorail long term?

I was wondering whether, if this proves to be a success and more cost effective, could it actually REPLACE the existing Monorail long term?

See, I thought of that, but the monorail is such limited service that I don't think they'd replace it entirely. A monorail resort has cachet.

I think the gondolas are really more to add alternative transport to places that don't have it, like the places that are neither waterfront nor monorail.

I certainly think the potential exists for additional lines but my personal opinion is that they should investigate other forms of transportation before going hogwild on these. Other than being a relatively low cost alternative they seem to have a lot of disadvantages. Obviously major disadvantages exist as far as operation in bad weather, people stranded in the air in a very hot cabin, etc.

Gondolas aren't exactly new technology and they're gaining popularity as mass transit solutions in urban areas.

The Roosevelt Island Tramway in NYC has been in operation for more than 40 years. It is not air conditioned. It operates in most conditions except for high winds and lightning (have to see how that will play out--I know WDW is subject to storms in the summer months but have no data on how often lightning is an issue.)

Reliability shouldn't be an issue with the proper redundancies in place. It's a cable being pulled by a diesel generator.

The fact that WDW has ridden the current monorail fleet into the ground would seem to leave that door open. However they've also invested a LOT of money into enhancing the control & safety systems of the monorails in recent years.

I have a hard time envisioning the Seven Seas Lagoon area with gondolas strung on lines rather than the monorail track. But I suspect gondolas would be cheaper to operate and possibly even more efficient.

I can see it potentially happen but imagine going from Port Orleans to Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom? You'll have to set aside a day aside for the journey lol

I would think an Epcot line to POR, POFQ, OKW, SS would make a lot of sense. Relatively short distance serving lots of rooms so it potentially saves on a lot of buses.
they could throw Disney Springs into that one also

going UP makes sense because it will take the stress off the internal roadways. that may very well be the main reason they are playing with this

I heard on Jim Hill mention on his podcast (take it or leave it) that the current skyliner plans were phase 1 of 3 potential phases depending on final cost and effectiveness. I think he also said phase 2 would go to AK and Coronado... Again I can't verify the accuracy of this but it makes sense to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter