If you buy resale, but also buy some points direct from Disney, do you still qualify...

I think that Disney will not finance the 25 point sale. But, they don't care where the "cash" comes from. So, yes, you can put the purchase on any credit card you care to (although a $5,000 purchase at revolving credit card interest rates, can quickly double your purchase price if you don't pay it off quickly).
If you wanted to take the time, could you purchase Disney gift cards with a target gift card, combine them into 5 $1,000 cards, and buy 25 points in the $5,000 range and save 5% of the purchase price? I am in the process of buying a contract and am past the point of ROFR. I think that I'll wait until the contract is finalized before callind Disney about buying 25 point contracts directly from Disney,

If you wanted to take the time, could you purchase Disney gift cards with a target gift card, combine them into 5 $1,000 cards, and buy 25 points in the $5,000 range and save 5% of the purchase price? I am in the process of buying a contract and am past the point of ROFR. I think that I'll wait until the contract is finalized before callind Disney about buying 25 point contracts directly from Disney,

In theory yes. I have read on this board and on the MO board that several (many?) people do this to get a little lower cost of ownership for their annual fees. I'm not too sure how readily available the Disney Gift Cards are to be able to amass $5000 in a short time. I get the feeling that those DVC owners that do this have to scramble a bit to get less than $1000 in cards. The real issue would be taking the time. Also, I don't think you are a bonafide DVC owner until you have closed on the first resale contract AND been processed by DVC and issued a membership number. At that time, you can purchase a direct contract for 25 points.

I may wait to see if target, like they have over the last several years, sells target gift cards t 10% off for one day this December, and whether these can be used for purchasing Disney gift cards. I might not make the effort for $250 off but would definitely do it for $500 off.

You may only be allowed a certain # of payment forms, so I wouldn't try the 5 gift cards without asking upfront.

We put it on a credit card and used a 0% balance transfer. The rewards and the fees canceled each other out and we have 12 months to pay it off. (We, as a rule, pay our credit card balances in full every month, but if you do not, balance transfers can cost you!)

I may wait to see if target, like they have over the last several years, sells target gift cards t 10% off for one day this December, and whether these can be used for purchasing Disney gift cards. I might not make the effort for $250 off but would definitely do it for $500 off.

Last year, Target limited the number of gift cards each person could purchase using the 10% offer. As I recall it was $300 worth. (There may have been ways to work around the limit, but I didn't attempt any of them). I used the cards to purchase Disney gift cards in the store.

Bj's Wholesale Club sells $100 Disney gift cards online for $94.99. You don't have to be a member to buy them. You can use the Disneygiftcard.com website to combine cards (up to $1000).

I would check into all of this before buying the cards. My understanding was you could not buy DVC points with gift cards...

You can't buy a DVC contract direct with gift cards, but you can pay the annual dues with gift cards. I did it last year.

Besides these extra benefits, does anyone anticipate other reasons to want to have a direct point contract? I understand that nobody really knows for sure, but I am just curious what people think. We do not live in Orlando, and besides maybe a couple of years of annual passes, I really don't think we will use many of these extra perks. We tend to go once a year for a two week trip. We will [hopefully] be closing on our resale soon, and I was talking with our guide from Disney who indicated we could add 25 points pretty easily after our resale closes, but I am just looking at the cost of this and thinking that could go towards a second resale contract maybe a year or two from now...

Besides these extra benefits, does anyone anticipate other reasons to want to have a direct point contract? I understand that nobody really knows for sure, but I am just curious what people think. We do not live in Orlando, and besides maybe a couple of years of annual passes, I really don't think we will use many of these extra perks. We tend to go once a year for a two week trip. We will [hopefully] be closing on our resale soon, and I was talking with our guide from Disney who indicated we could add 25 points pretty easily after our resale closes, but I am just looking at the cost of this and thinking that could go towards a second resale contract maybe a year or two from now...

If you are going for 2 weeks, an AP might be cheaper than regular tickets with the hopper, plus you get the photopass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter