If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It! - WISH October Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

walt.jpg
QOTD: Imagineer Fred Joerger once said, “Walt would always spontaneously drop into your room to chat and see who you were doing. By the time he left, you were fired up with excitement about whatever it was you were working on.” Who do you have in your life that encourages you? What does your support system look like?

Bonus QOTD: Do you have a favorite quote or story that you've heard about Walt?

Honestly I've been working on this and getting better at it but my struggle has been learning to nurture those relationships and accept that encouragement. My youngest child tends to be an encourager. My friend Sharon at church is a great encourager. There's another few friends at church who try to be I think. I have an online friend that I just chat with who is for sure and encouragement to me. I'm coming out of it now but I believe for a long time I was just too wrapped up in my own head with my own problems that I had to face. Certain hard things to live through in life make it much harder to allow yourself to reach out to others or on the otherside of tbe coin they even more often make it hard instead to let others reach out to you and help you.

Bonus question: I enjoy knowing how Walt and Roy worked together even towards the end of Walt's life.

I've been sticking with my thing... I'm still working a flexible plan of mixing together super low-carb dieting with intermittent fasting. I tried out a thing that someone wrote a book about where a few bodybuilders intermittent fast and then they do their training in the fasted state and then eat afterwards. I felt like my time at work Wednesday night massaging went well for that and that the recovery period overnight that night and beyond that also went really well. And is not letting me to shed any actual pounds as far as how it's reflecting on the scale. Im.up about a pound and a half. But of course that could be for any number of reasons and certainly does not reflect fat gain or even necessarily not losing fat. I need to gain lean mass aling the way if posdible and grow stronger. I just have to be patient and see how it all comes out in the wash later or not. I also had an acupuncture treatmwnt yesyerday and then went to school today in a fasted state. Both were in hopes of help with my concentration and focus and ability to learn. I think I did pretty well through most of my 4-Hour anatomy and physiology class. I couldn't really keep up my note taking during the last 40 minutes or so but I still did pretty well with listening.

I'm going to eat lunch with my daughter now and then run back up to campus for a 4 hour business class.

Oh, and I'm staying hydrated.

Last edited:
1) Did I do my steps (15000 goal) Yes
2) Were my calories in balance Yes
3) Did I do my 3 weekly workouts without overdoing it (only M, W and F) Yes
4) What did I do great today, what worked well

I really didn't feel like cooking tonight and we went to a local cafe after work with my son. I ordered chicken fahitas with just the chicken, onions, peppers, salsa and salad instead of wraps chips and other dips. I went home and made myself nicecream - frozen bananas, dash of maple syrup, greek yo in the blender. ym
5) What can I do better
nothing really. I guess my heart was not in my workout but I still did it. I could put little more effort

Someone asked if it helps me few pages back - absolutely. It gives me moment to reflect on the day and make plans for the next but also tonight I came home at 13 000 steps, and didn't want to put no to my goal - so I put on few youtube dance videos and did my remaining steps.

Love this channel, they have some really easy to follow and one song each video so you can make our workout

“Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better.”

I am usually the one encouraging others but I can rely on my husband if I need it. For healthy eating or exercise he couldn't care less how much I weight or what I eat but it was never a medical issue I guess. He said one I am the strongest person he knows and I can do anything I put my mind on.

Aww. I wish I could get a chance to see you as a client and try to get you some relief. I'm starting my fourth and last quarter of massage school just now. My first clinic hours of the quarter were today and tomorrow will be my first classes of the quarter. I'm actually pretty good at light pressure relaxation massage and also myofacial release which is one of the more therapeutic things I've learned but also very gentle. Sadly, even if we were close geographically they don't allow clients to request a specific student. I do have one repeat customer I'll have all quarter at his request, but it's a very unusual thing that they allowed it and there were other factors besides my success in helping him with his unique needs.

I really enjoy the work though. The job satisfaction when a client experiences relief is huge. I just love helping people.

It sounds like your physiotherapist has more education than what it takes to become a licensed massage therapist here. But I wonder if you may have any affordable relaxation massage options you could add in to what you're doing.

Ohh thanks - but yes we are definitely very far apart! Its funny that I had been thinking more about maybe getting a massage in the last few months but budget had been holding me back - then in the past few weeks I really wanted to know what was going on first and if it would be a benefit to me. The PT also asked if I get massages so it will go on the list of things to do as part of my healing/journey. It does sound like you are enjoying your work and that is just so important - helping professions really can give us such personal satisfaction as well. The days that I feel I have really accomplished something with/for a student are really good days where I feel happy and confident about my role as well.

Hi all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in a bit late here. I'm rather prone to spur-of-the-moment decisions and one of those has led me to bump my health up to the top of the priority list for the first time in a very long time, so here I am.

:welcome: its never to late to join us - glad you found us!

One tiny detail that I am working on conquering as part of this journey is my soda habit. I drink diet, so for a long time I excused it and told myself it didn't matter because it is zero calorie, but I've become more aware lately that the artificial sweeteners are linked to some of the things I struggle with most - anxiety/depression, difficulty sleeping, and inflammation - and at the same time realized that my one-a-day habit had crept up to two, then three, then four. Some days I'll go through a whole two-liter on my own. So that is a detail I am changing. I don't quit cold turkey; I've been dependent on caffeine for so long that I get migraines if I stop suddenly, but I'm cutting it down to one a day and once I adjust to that I'll work on eliminating it completely.

I also have a soda habit I need to get under control - it so hard sometimes when tastes soooo good. I try to drink sugar free soda but must admit I really haven't looked at the labels to see what the alternative sweetener is .... maybe that's because I am burying my head about that. A few years ago when I was studying I had to switch from usual Coca-Cola because I was drinking way to much and the caffeine actually gave me an eye twitch! I switched to sprite - no twitching but still supported my soda addiction.

Who do you have in your life that encourages you? What does your support system look like?

Hmmm this is trick and reading @fromscrachmom's post which I have quoted below made me think about this some more. Sometimes I really feel like there isn't anyone much to encourage me - but I think that is also part of my journey in not asking or letting help into my life. I do have a few friends who I know care about me and have done active things with me and encourage me when I share with them. Whilst my kids love me and we are a great family they are at an age where it is mostly about them ... and their desire for takeout can over-rule their concern for their mother - I don't hold that against them its just part of being younger. My parents are part of my general support system - stepping in at any time when needed to help with the kids and mum recently helped with some unexpected out of pocket expenses for an ultrasound. I tend to have a bit of mentality that I need to do this and prove to everyone that I can do this myself to the people closely around me. Therefore one of my biggest support systems is all of you here on this forum.

Bonus QOTD: Do you have a favorite quote or story that you've heard about Walt?

DS16 and I watched a documentary on him earlier this year - I think one of the things I like is his persistence to keep following his dream even through it took many twists and turns to get there in the end. A for quotes ....

Certain hard things to live through in life make it much harder to allow yourself to reach out to others or on the otherside of tbe coin they even more often make it hard instead to let others reach out to you and help you.

I completely understand what you are talking about here - I struggles with this also.

I went home and made myself nicecream - frozen bananas, dash of maple syrup, greek yo in the blender. ym

You are so clever - you have the greatest strategies! I am not a huge ice-cream eater but this yummy I think I will try it.

so I put on few youtube dance videos and did my remaining steps.

What a great idea - I am going to look at this some more - it is so funny that you posted a P!nk clip - DD and I were very excited that our favourite girl - P!nk - announced her tour yesterday - although dates for Australia haven't been released yet - I listened to her on Spotify in the office yesterday - her music makes me feel happy and is such a bonding thing with DD and I.

He said one I am the strongest person he knows and I can do anything I put my mind on.

I totally agree with him :hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So yesterday looking for a snack I noticed Quark yoghurt which I think @Flossbolna mentioned on here at some time - I tried it as it had the least calories per serve compared to the other yoghurts - but it had a chalky texture and I just couldn't get used to it. I did have some takeout last night but told DD we were not having Mcdonalds etc. and used MFP to explore options to stay on track and not de-rail completely - went with a chinese chicken and vegetable dish with rice. I am determined to stay strong this weekend too. Also this weekend I need to drink more water and not fall into my at home soda habit. I took my lunch from home to work everyday this week :cool1:

It is warming up here can definitely feel summer coming - I think it is going to be a hot one.

I was reflecting yesterday about the quote I saw about 6 weeks ago about making time for health or being forced to make time for illness and how true this has become for me. I have been too busy working and looking after kids to make time for me - I always spend $$ on the kids over myself and honestly at times really could not have afforded a gym membership or a massage - but here I am now experiencing a range of health concerns and having to make time to see Drs, PTs, EPs, dieticians etc and focus on recovery. I really want to turn this around and do better in the future - I will make the time and find a way to make things fit in the budget.

Welcome Colleen27! :cheer2: It's so funny you mentioned light fixtures, because a trip or two back that was the focus of my photos. Just wanted something different that trip to be aware of, so I have lots of photos of them!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :rotfl:

Congrats on fitting into the skirt. Sometimes the little victories are the best!

QOTD: Who do you have in your life that encourages you? What does your support system look like?

This is something I've really been working on this year - building up a support system that I can really count on. My husband is great, but he's very much a "Whatever you want, dear" kind of guy. He'd do anything for me and the kids, but he's not much good for challenging me or pushing me to do better. And I am a MAJOR introvert so I tend a bit too much towards "hermit" for my own good. But I've been pushing myself to be more social and I've ended up involved in quite a lot of volunteer stuff at my kids' schools so for the first time in a long time I've got friends that I run with and one that's thinking about joining the same gym I just joined with my daughter (the spur of the moment decision that started all of this, because if I'm paying for it I'm going to use it!). And my daughter is a great challenge buddy. She wants me to get a Fitbit so we can compete against one another, and she's pushing me to start doing 5Ks again. She'd really like us to run the Mackinac Bridge before she leaves for college (fall 2019), but that's an intimidating one to me because it has a 12 minute per mile pace requirement and even when we were doing a few races a year I was walking more than running and only keeping up a 14 min/mile pace.

QOTD- My support system is just me. My husband does not object to my eating different foods or my exercise as long as it does not mess up his meals and I still get whatever I need to do done but he is not a support system in any way. I have had some health issues the past few yrs and other than offering a ride to an appt he does not seem to be very interested. He is a good guy but in his own little world. The rest of the relatives are pretty self involved with their own life. I have a couple friends I can tell but as they don't have any similar issues they don't always "get" it.

Walt quote- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

I like that as I tend to want to over think , over research everything. I have a friend who just dives in, does things last minute. Although she has lots of flops and failures I think she usually gets more done and with less stress.

I think I could have a support system if I just reach out, but I don't. DH is fine, and I have a group of gals that I used to walk with until my work hours changed. I don't really want to reach out to them because a few years back one of them lost 80 pounds and that was the longest year and a half of my life! Food was ALL she talked about. every day. for three miles. It was so tiring! There's also a friend at work. She had some surgery and is now a skinny minny, but very down to earth about it. I already reach out to her about my son's depression/anxiety and she's such a big help with that. I don't want to burden her with more--not that she would see it as a burden.

So today is weigh in day and I am touching another thick line on the scale! woot woot. I logged all my food this week, and got in all my steps. hooray

DH and I went to the Walt Disney museum in San Francisco a few years ago. That was really interesting. It was neat to learn more about his personal history.

1) Did I do my steps (15000 goal) No
3) Did I do my 3 weekly workouts without overdoing it (only M, W and F) n/a

I pushed myself when I didn't feel like going for walk

5) What can I do better

Everything food related! I snacked too much, didn't eat proper meals, didn't eat my veggies & fruit, ate chocolate (my skin will hate me tomorrow!). It's just hectic, we have no food left from the week and I had to bring my son to rugby/swimming and eat on the go. DH came back from Seattle with full bag of goodies and I didn't even attempt to resist the temptation! I managed to track what I ate and I stopped before going on red but don't want to eat like this tomorrow.

I need to do big food shopping tomorrow to make sure this doesn't repeat again. Just realized it's full 7 days. The next 7 days I want to keep the activities on same level, but cut about 80 calories a day and some of the not so good choices like goodness bars or white bread. It should be easily achievable, it's small reduction.

Last edited:
I started to that helping my daughter-in-law to run an errand and then giving her a driving lesson. I went home and cooked things with sugar in them . That is very unusual for me ... As in so unusual it may have been like 12 years since the last time. But I did it for classmates birthdays and took them to school with me today. All of my classmates do eat sugar unlike me and it was for them. I have been to pathology class for the first time today, just got out a little bit early just now. Yay. It is so nice to not have to stay for the whole 4 hours when that happens!

I'm sticking with my plans. I'll have to try to drink more fluids by the end of the day!

Yesterday was great reminder of how and why I don't eat whatever I see in front of me!

DH came back from Seattle with a lot of fancy chocolate. I don't normally like chocolate that much but the curiosity/novelty, plus the limited opportunity temptation made me sample some of it. This was about 4 pm, I tracked it and moved on. I was actually a lot more hungry and tired by 8 pm than I was any other night last week. After the initial sugar high there was a proper low! I didn't stuff myself at all but still end up being 900 calories over budget! It is so easy to do that between the actual calories of the chocolate plus the sugar levels crashing down for the rest of the day. I am not advocating at all all or nothing but some foods just make it harder to stay satisfied and stay in calorie budget, 2000 calories of healthy food doesn't have same impact on energy as 2000 calories of chocolate and white bread toast! One leaves me feeling full, the other one leaves me wonder why I am hungry.

So if it makes it harder for me, and I don't even love chocolate that much perhaps I should go back to avoiding it and remind myself how yesterday went.

I always post when things are good but felt I should share my experience with the fancy Seattle chocolate. Year or so ago DH came back from Swithzerland with a lot of swiss chocolate and I had 0 temptation to have any. Perhaps I need to focus on the aftermath more before I reach to take the first piece.

Attitude to various treats is very personal and I am not at all suggesting what works for me should work for you too.

Yesterday was great reminder of how and why I don't eat whatever I see in front of me!

DH came I don't normally doesn't have
...perhaps I should go back to avoiding it and remind myself how yesterday went.

Attitude to various treats is very personal ...

This is huge for me. Along the way on my years of trying to gain improvements I've generally done better when I am stricter with myself. But our culture pushes HARD against anyone sticking by a plan and doing what is right for themselves healthwise! I cannot even tell you how many many times I've been coached or cajoled or shamed into cheating on myself because of the suposed evil of being supposedly too strict; or too good; or superior or holier than thou to people who don't need to make the same choices as myself if dare to speak about my own needs to be strict or...or...or... There's a never ending list of possible accusations to be leveled at a person being strict in a way that clashes with the easy, cheap entertainment of our food culture that others enjoy. I've had to learn to keep my thoughts and feelings about my journey and whatever I learn about myself to myself. Too many other people are offended by the existence of some one who doesn't fit in with just enjoying it and remembering to always encourage others to just enjoy it. And sometimes going along in order to make other people more comfortable and happy has had devastating effects on my health. I don't yet know what all my health issues could or should be diagnosed as but I'm learning to help myself anyway and to simply hide the truths of my experiences and needs from others while still trying to be who I am and allow others to be who they are.

Two things come to mind reading your specific experience. There is the concept of not indulging anything that won't give seriously huge benefits in some way, like chocolate isnt really loved by you but might be a "good cheat" for their need for that occassional flexibility for some person out there. And there's an excellent article I've read that speaks to whether to be strict or not. I'll see if I can find a link before I hit post.

https://gretchenrubin.com/2011/04/q...an-abstainer-when-trying-to-give-something-up

That article made a huge difference to me and my journey when I first read it! I've noticed in the year since there is quite a politically correct component to the moderator arguments that most people think it's the right thing amongst what's currently considered common knowledge. But I think the author is right that neither side trying to convert the other is actually helpful. I do have a few things that I need to be more of a moderator about even though I'm generally in abstainer. I've found that for people to attack it and tell me I'd do better if I were stricter is not any more helpful then the opposite problem in all my other areas.

Last edited:
While I feel gym membership isn't mandatory at all, time to think about yourself and view yourself as priority is. You can turn things around.

Thanks - I can't change what is done - I will just keep moving forward.

One leaves me feeling full, the other one leaves me wonder why I am hungry.

Yes - I totally am getting that difference between WHAT is eaten within that calorie count is so important to feeling full ... or rather not hungry.

So if it makes it harder for me, and I don't even love chocolate that much perhaps I should go back to avoiding it and remind myself how yesterday went.

I always post when things are good but felt I should share my experience with the fancy Seattle chocolate. Year or so ago DH came back from Swithzerland with a lot of swiss chocolate and I had 0 temptation to have any. Perhaps I need to focus on the aftermath more before I reach to take the first piece.

Attitude to various treats is very personal and I am not at all suggesting what works for me should work for you too.

Well if you aren't a choc fan anyway you would be better to save your indulgence for something you really enjoy so that it is all the more worth it to you if/when you do decide. It is great that you are consolidating these experiences and thoughts to help.

This is huge for me. Along the way on my years of trying to gain improvements I've generally done better when I am stricter with myself. But our culture pushes HARD against anyone sticking by a plan and doing what is right for themselves healthwise!

Yes ... and sometimes maybe it is because they don't want to see for themselves their own issues and so try to keep everyone in the same boat as them. At least it sounds like you are finding a way to meet your needs but it can be hard.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So this morning DD and I had a big walk on the beach - she wanted to take some photos to enter an art comp at school - she ended up with a really good one - well I think so anyway. Walking in that soft sand for most of the walk really increases the workout! My calves were crying out and I had to have a couple of rests - but I really enjoyed being at the beach. Soooo many people were out and we were on a section of beach where people can take their dogs - there were so many cute doggies out running around it is was fun to see them and they were all so well behaved.

Okay big excitement in our house tonight P!nk released her Australian Tour dates :cool1:- now we just have to manage to get tickets they go on sale in a weeks time - they will go in seconds - Australia loves P!nk. It is tradition for DD, myself and a couple of my friends to go ... we have already been texting each other to get it sorted. DD agreed it would be her Birthday present for next year.

REPORTING IN: I am at 23% - that sounds low but I actually have about 5 mini goals in that so it is all broken down and some goals are easier than others!

1. Meal Planning - On track have done it both weekends of the month so far :-)
2. Strengthening exercises at least every second day - On track with this - it has been every second day so far - this week will try to increase it from there :-)
3. Taking lunches to work - On track - took lunch everyday last week :-)
4. Walking 30 minutes per day - Has not happened everyday but I have done ok with this so far and will continue to attempt to increase :P
5. Water intake 1.5 litres a day - Has happened on 2 days only - will attempt to continue to improve - some days I just do for ages without drinking anything and then others I do really well o_O

Two things come to mind reading your specific experience. There is the concept of not indulging anything that won't give seriously huge benefits in some way, like chocolate isnt really loved by you but might be a "good cheat" for their need for that occassional flexibility for some person out there. And there's an excellent article I've read that speaks to whether to be strict or not. I'll see if I can find a link before I hit post.

https://gretchenrubin.com/2011/04/q...an-abstainer-when-trying-to-give-something-up

That article made a huge difference to me and my journey when I first read it! I've noticed in the year since there is quite a politically correct component to the moderator arguments that most people think it's the right thing amongst what's currently considered common knowledge. But I think the author is right that neither side trying to convert the other is actually helpful. I do have a few things that I need to be more of a moderator about even though I'm generally in abstainer. I've found that for people to attack it and tell me I'd do better if I were stricter is not any more helpful then the opposite problem in all my other areas.

Good article, I need to think abut it.

Eating is so personal. Genetics, preference, culture! There really isn't one size fit all and it's very easy to be judgemental to someone who as you say doesn't have to make same choices as you.

I have not yet had time to look at the article, but intend to read it over the next couple of days. However, I wanted to comment on your observation about there being two camps on how to approach things. I am a strong believer that everyone ought to pick what is best for them personally. We are all so different with our characters, our preferences, our outside forces. To me the most important thing is to stay true to oneself. That does not mean that one ought not to strive for a goal and to become better. But it means that everyone needs to find their own way to that goal. I love getting suggestions on how to deal with certain problems and am always happy to try out something new, but I also feel free to not follow things that I find out don't work for me, even when they work for someone else. How boring would the world be if we all lived identical lives!! :goodvibes

1) Did I do my steps (15000 goal) Yes
3) Did I do my 3 weekly workouts without overdoing it (only M, W and F) n/a
it was a good day, having 3 meals and 1 snack works better than small snacks all day
5) What can I do better
nothing really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!