If your not a Facebook person , why ?

Not on Facebook, never have been, don't feel the need. Have had many inquiring and sometimes flabbergasted friends or acquaintances ask why not??? They seem dumbfounded that I don't feel the need to tune in to every second of someone else's daily ritual.

Of course, it depends on the individual poster, but I imagine some posts like this....

Posted at 10:32 am: I had a Pop tart this morning.

Posted at 10:34 am: it was strawberry flavored!

Posted at 10:41 am: I only ate half of it.

To me following celebrities would be the biggest waste of time. I would much rather now what a old school friend is doing than some dumb celebrity.
I follow some celebs on twitter. I enjoy their smart, insightful commentary on many things.

Not on Facebook, never have been, don't feel the need. Have had many inquiring and sometimes flabbergasted friends or acquaintances ask why not??? They seem dumbfounded that I don't feel the need to tune in to every second of someone else's daily ritual.

Of course, it depends on the individual poster, but I imagine some posts like this....

Posted at 10:32 am: I had a Pop tart this morning.

Posted at 10:34 am: it was strawberry flavored!

Posted at 10:41 am: I only ate half of it.

I actually had a friend that did this back when I first got on fb lol. She was the first person I hid from my feed. But over time she stopped posting such mundane details and now I enjoy her posts and have her posts showing again.

My social media is the DIS and has been for 18 years. And if we don't call the DIS social media........not sure then what I'm on???? Please help explain!! LOL

I keep up with friends and family on FB, but I have MANY, MANY things blocked.

I block ads, I block some keywords, and I block many pseudo-news sites. I've also muted some folks who just cannot seem to help but post unbelievably inflammatory political stuff non-stop. I've also muted some who post every step they take... every move they make... ;)

Quick question for others not on Social Media. Do you get badgered by people because you are NOT on it?

My favorite example was a friend that called me to say that the folks organizing a High School Reunion couldn't find me. So I asked, "How did you find me"? He said, I called your number. I said "Bingo!"

Last edited:
Quick question for others not on Social Media. Do you badgered by people because you are NOT on it?

My favorite example was a friend that called me to say that the folks organizing a High School Reunion couldn't find me. So I asked, "How did you find me"? He said, I called your number. I said "Bingo!"
I am currently organizing/planning my 25th class reunion. FB has been an invaluable resource for me. Anyone not on Facebook likely won't find out any details about the reunion unless they happen to run into an old classmate in the months leading up to the event.

I am currently organizing/planning my 25th class reunion. FB has been an invaluable resource for me. Anyone not on Facebook likely won't find out any details about the reunion unless they happen to run into an old classmate in the months leading up to the event.
I'm not saying NOT to use FB, I was just saying that there are multiple ways to get in touch with people...

Another non-FB, but similar example was when I was traveling on business with my boss and some colleagues. We got to the airport and he remembered that he had not booked us a rental car. So he pulled out his phone and started to look panicked. We asked what was wrong and he said he couldn't get the car because wi-fi was down and he had no data signal. That was when we mentioned he could just call their 1-800 number...

I'm not saying NOT to use FB, I was just saying that there are multiple ways to get in touch with people...

Another non-FB, but similar example was when I was traveling on business with my boss and some colleagues. We got to the airport and he remembered that he had not booked us a rental car. So he pulled out his phone and started to look panicked. We asked what was wrong and he said he couldn't get the car because wi-fi was down and he had no data signal. That was when we mentioned he could just call their 1-800 number...
In my case, since so many people have gone to cell only, I have no way of contacting them via phone.

Quick question for others not on Social Media. Do you badgered by people because you are NOT on it?

I have a cousin who will occasionally suggest that I get on it so that it is easier to stay in touch. One of my other sisters only joined in the last year or two. Since she got on, he hasn’t mentioned it. It is the one reason I occasionally think about it, but then I consider the downside and decide to skip it for now. My one sister tells me there are so many relatives that she used to like that she realized through their posts are racist and have crazy political views. She blocks those people, but doesn’t that make things awkward at the family reunion? I’d rather not deal with any of it.

I don't really understand what purpose FB groups have because I don't belong to any. I do wonder though if anybody can ever believe anything they read on social media. I work for a homebuilder and one of our communities has a very active FB group that seems devoted to nothing but either bragging or complaining about how people are being treated by their builders. Some of the full-on lies that have been told about our company (both positive and negative) are mind-blowing. It's like people just have to one-up each other either with their "disasters" or "great deals". And having to deal with these customers knowing what liars they are is a challenge.

I was on it until a few months ago. Tired of....
1) political tirades
2) vaguebooking....the "I am so devastated" post and then when everyone asks what's wrong we get crickets
3) mr or mrs everything is always perfect, perfect spouse, perfect kids, perfect job
4) facebragging....look how great my kid is....look at the Mercedes I just bought
5) trashy posts...inappropriate pictures or talk
6) all the stupid little videos, memes and articles people post or, even worse, share on your own page
7) the games or diet fads and the such that people try to get you to join

I was finding myself with negative feelings every time I looked at FB. And then one particular day was bad and I thought it was ridiculous to let something, I could easily eliminate, make me feel so crappy. So I eliminated it. After being on since something like 2008. I do miss it when reading on missing people and crimes on a certain forum and they always have FB links that I can't see. I also have family that continue to IM me there even though I have made it clear that I am not on there anymore. But, otherwise, it's been great without it.

It's all what YOU make of it. If you think it's all conflict and drama as some people do, that is YOUR making. It really is all in your control.
Respectfully Disagree. Please read my earlier post about why I hate Facebook SO MUCH! I don’t even have FB and trust me, how it is such a negative in my life, I have no control over. I cannot even have a normal conversation with my in laws, my sister, etc.

Our family does not use FB for multiple reasons, one being destruction of our family unit. Too many outside influence and distractions, unnecessary junk.

It is blocked on our actual router, so even people who use our WiFi will not be able to access it (sorry friends!)

Our children do not have social media accounts, completely unnecessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter