If your not a Facebook person , why ?

Our family does not use FB for multiple reasons, one being destruction of our family unit. Too many outside influence and distractions, unnecessary junk.

It is blocked on our actual router, so even people who use our WiFi will not be able to access it (sorry friends!)

Our children do not have social media accounts, completely unnecessary.
I agree with your reasoning but does Dreams do the same?

Last edited:
I have 2 Facebook pages and at least once a week I pledge to give up at least 1 of them.
Two of my grown children are well known, 1 has a high profile job and the other is famous, so I help with one of the pages for that one.

My main page is the one I use to post a few pics and keep in touch with friends. I have a somewhat crazy life that I can’t post too much about for safety reasons. (this sucks as sometimes we go to really great places but, if we posted about all the places we went, the people we spend time with, the way we travel, etc. ) it can be too much for friends and family to take. In the beginning, when I first joined Facebook, I would post more pics and comments, but I found I was losing 3-4 friends per week so I ended that. Plus, DH was concerned for our daughters safety.

The common misconception is that you are Facebook's customers. You are not.

You are their product.

Facebook's customers are advertisers, to whom Facebook sells access to you and your personal data.
There was a video on the checkout an Australian tv show. That explained this well. Too lazy to share. The funny thing is they are not doing a good job. They need to do much better with my personal info. Keep getting Macca's ads. I do not eat fast food

Our family does not use FB for multiple reasons, one being destruction of our family unit. Too many outside influence and distractions, unnecessary junk.

It is blocked on our actual router, so even people who use our WiFi will not be able to access it (sorry friends!)

Totally your choice and your family but how exactly does it destroy the family unit?

It’s just a tool or a form of entertainment. A lot of people don’t like it and don’t use it and there really is nothing wrong with that. But it’s so widespread that so much information is exchanged through Facebook. Especially with groups like sports teams, school groups, reunion planning, etc. Seems like it would be beneficial to have an account even if there were only an extremely small group of friends or pages followed.

I check Facebook about twice/week. I like keeping up with what old friends are doing, and our neighborhood has a FB group that is good for getting out info. But I hate the political posts, I hate Vaguebooking, I hate being used for game invites, etc. I find it boring and if I get a lot of that stuff from someone's feed, I unfollow them.

Facebook is a tool, nothing more. It is what you make it. "Destruction of the family unit"? Really?

When I add a Friend, I immediately add their name to the Block App invites list. Haven’t seen those stupid Facebook game in years.

Yep, I know I can do that, but I hate having to go through that right at the beginning. I guess my thinking is that if I trust them that little to start filtering them before we've interacted at all, why am I accepting their friend request?

Totally your choice and your family but how exactly does it destroy the family unit?

It’s just a tool or a form of entertainment. A lot of people don’t like it and don’t use it and there really is nothing wrong with that. But it’s so widespread that so much information is exchanged through Facebook. Especially with groups like sports teams, school groups, reunion planning, etc. Seems like it would be beneficial to have an account even if there were only an extremely small group of friends or pages followed.

Facebook is a tool, nothing more. It is what you make it. "Destruction of the family unit"? Really?

OP asked MY reasoning, and that is it. It caused trouble in our family, and was not worth it. It may be a tool to some, but to others it can lead to more of an obsession.

I have no social media. I had a legitimate stalker for about 5 years when I was a teen/early 20s. In 2001, he apologized for stalking me and I had not heard from him again. Until he sent an anonymous letter in a card to my job 2 years ago on my birthday. I would know the hand writing and the things referenced anywhere, it was him. So, I am off the grid to avoid him mainly. He is a very unstable person. He actually committed a pretty serious crime in the 90s

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter