Illuminations Dining Package at Rose and Crown

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
http://blogmickey.com/2019/01/illuminations-dining-package-coming-to-epcot/

"Starting January 18th, guests will be able to purchase the Illuminations Dining Package.

With the IllumiNations Dining Package, guests will relax on the patio of the Rose & Crown Dining Room, located in the United Kingdom Pavilion, while dining on classic British fare and enjoying sweeping views of World Showcase Lagoon.

The package includes a prix fixe menu that features a selection of Rose & Crown favorites, as well as unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Start your meal off with a Scotch Egg or the United Kingdom Cheese Platter, and follow up with popular entrées such as Rose & Crown’s signature Fish and Chips, Corned Beef and Cabbage, Pan-roasted Scottish Salmon, or Bangers and Mash. And for dessert, you’ll love this Pudding Platter Trio featuring Sticky Toffee Pudding, English Trifle, and Chocolate Nougat Bar. Kids can enjoy a soup or salad with their choice of Cheese and Turkey Flatbread, Turkey Meatball Pasta, Cheesy Pasta, or Fish and Chips as well as either Fruit Salad or Trifle for dessert.

Reservations are available starting January 17 for reservations starting on January 18. Pricing is $85 per adult (ages 10 and up) and $35 per child (ages 3 to 9), with tax and gratuity included."

So what’s going to happen to those who already have R&C ADRs that go past 9:00?
I think we will get stuck inside! I am pretty bummed out because I have one at 7:50 with the plan to try and have a relaxing meal and watching Illuminations from the patio or standing area. I just don't know if that standing area will remain available for diners.

At Disneyland, they have the River Belle Terrace premium dining for Fantasmic. They make sure all people are cleared out of the outdoor tables well in advance of that time, leaving room for the people who booked those tables (though the view is actually not that good at all).

Just when I thought I had all of my April ADRs done. I guess I will be booking this for DH when it opens up since he loves watching Illuminations while having dinner at R&C.

I can imagine those paying $80/person will be angry if $20/meal patrons get the same viewing area/standing area.

The patio tables along the side at R&C don't have a very good view. If you're right, then they will get the standing room area?

I'm wondering if I should make a back up ADR somewhere else.

We were just at Rose and Crown for Illuminations in December. I stalked the reservation system for months to get just the right time, then asked nicely at check in for a table with a view. We had the most wonderful evening with a great view of the show. It makes me a bit sad to think that now to get that same experience you have to pay a significant up-charge (R&C is good, but it's not $85 per person good!!) and then be limited in what you can order.

Oh well. I wonder if other restaurants with good lagoon views will follow.

With appetizer, dessert and unlimited booze the price is not awful but my child would eat none of that and I'm not paying $85 for a bowl of mac and cheese. I'd rather pay the $79 and let him go to town on desserts. Which I am doing.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed 8pm rose and crown ADR holders!

well that sucks. I have a reservation there for 8:00 so we can watch the show. I am not paying $85 to go there. The food is good but not that good.

We were just at Rose and Crown for Illuminations in December. I stalked the reservation system for months to get just the right time, then asked nicely at check in for a table with a view. We had the most wonderful evening with a great view of the show. It makes me a bit sad to think that now to get that same experience you have to pay a significant up-charge (R&C is good, but it's not $85 per person good!!) and then be limited in what you can order.

Oh well. I wonder if other restaurants with good lagoon views will follow.
No kidding about the price. More than Brown derby for the Fantasmic package? I know Illuminations is more popular than F!, and it's having it's farewell tour, but it's MUCH easier to see Illuminations without any type of VIP viewing.

I’m guessing no dining plan for this one?

I'm really disappointed to see this. We've eaten many times at R&C for Illuminations and I guess it was only a matter of time before Disney charged more money for the experience. I would expect the package to continue with the new show. Probably with another price increase.

Am I the only one who thinks $85 is not a bad price point compared to everything else? An app, entree, dessert, and let's say an average of two cocktails (maybe that's just me :drinking1) is going to run close to $75. Guess it's a big jump if you're only planning an entree, but for me it seems like a better value than most dessert parties :confused3

Am I the only one who thinks $85 is not a bad price point compared to everything else? An app, entree, dessert, and let's say an average of two cocktails (maybe that's just me :drinking1) is going to run close to $75. Guess it's a big jump if you're only planning an entree, but for me it seems like a better value than most dessert parties :confused3

You aren't the only one. DH and I book R&C to watch Illuminations at least once a year and we spend about that much per person. We get at least one app, each get our own entrees, and usually get at least one dessert, we also get multiple alcoholic beverages (I personally get one while perusing the menu, at least one more with my meal, and some sort of alcoholic coffee concoction with dessert/Illuminations) as long as the options for food and drink aren't too limited, this won't be any more expensive for us.

I think the price is way too high. As I mentioned, we've eaten here quite a few times for Illuminations and we've never paid close to that.
I am one who saves receipts and budgets carefully and I pulled out our receipt from 2017. We paid a total of $171.99 plus 20% tip at $204.29 for 4 of us. All adults, including three alcoholic drinks and two appetizers to share. We're not usually a dessert type of people as we find the portions at Disney to be HUGE. Anyway, at the current dining package price we would've paid $340 for 4 of us. That's a difference of $135.71, and definitely the cost of another table service meal!

App: $12
Entrée: $22 (not sure short ribs will be an option)
Dessert: $8
Drinks: $20

Total: $62.
But, if you are in the age 10-20 crowd:
That's now only $42. That's a huge premium for the viewing.

For under 10:
$11 complete meal

That's a $25 premium.

And, keep in mind. This isn't a new experience, like the dessert parties are. This is taking something that was once included.... and people already have reservations for, and outrageous upcharging it.

From this link, under policies:
"The venue is uncovered and outdoors. In the event of inclement weather, this experience will take place in a covered area outdoors."

Now I'm wondering where they will do this.
The upper patio has a permanent roof and roll down (plastic or tent material) sides with windows that they put down when it rains hard. The lower patio does not have any cover and seems to fit the "uncovered and outdoors" description. We've been seated in both areas before and twice when it rained. Once they put the sides down until the rain stopped and Illuminations was delayed that night and another when half the upper patio was closed because it was a bad storm and the water was pouring in, even with the sides down.
I know there is some space behind the fish and chips quick service too, and I wonder if they will utilize that area, leaving the main covered patio for regular patrons. ???

I said the price is not awful for what you get but the menu does sound awful to me. I can't believe they are not even including the shepherd's pie. And nothing my child would eat, so we're out of this one... it's rolling out right as we are arriving too!

But it's about the same as the dessert party for just desserts and booze. If the menu were remotely appealing I'd consider switching. But that was always my problem with rose and crown, I have never found their menu appealing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter