I'm Just Here For Brunch: A 16 Day DR *Update 8/3

We all opted for the Bedfordshire package.

They've limited the options since I was last there. That's the one I would get too. I wonder if you can still order anything a la carte? I love the sandwiches and the scone, but the dessert puts me over the edge. Especially since I like to upgrade to the champagne.

I knew exactly what I wanted. I went with the Huevos Divorciados. Two eggs any style served over a cheese quesadilla with black beans, salsa roja, salsa verde and queso fresco.

Now this is my kinda breakfast y'all. I'm gonna have to make a special trip to CS to get this for sure.

OMG!! As I was reading over the menu for Rix and I saw this:

upload_2019-5-20_13-9-44.png

I was thinking to myself....*please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!! please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!! please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!! please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!!*

and you DID!!

and it looks JUST as yummy as I imagined!!!

I had no idea Bongo's was closing! That's a bummer. We love Mama Melrose, too. I think for ambiance, price, and pretty good food, it can't be beat. I can't believe we still haven't tried Blaze pizza. Every time I read your reports I'm like, "next trip we're trying Blaze pizza"! Maybe next trip! My sister ate dinner at Rix for the first time in March, and really really enjoyed it. Your breakfast looks delicious! I know my husband would love it.

Enjoying your report! I’m so glad you tried and enjoyed Rix. It used to be Las Ventanas and we have loved it for years. I’m so nervous for it though because almost every time we go we’re alone or close to it. But it’s so good! Service could be more attentive but the menu is right up our alley. You’ve got me excited for The Plaza breakfast, which we’ll try for our first time in July. Looking forward to more!

Hopefully everything is ok. It’s been awhile since you updated. Love your reviews. Best on the site!

They've limited the options since I was last there. That's the one I would get too. I wonder if you can still order anything a la carte? I love the sandwiches and the scone, but the dessert puts me over the edge. Especially since I like to upgrade to the champagne.

Now this is my kinda breakfast y'all. I'm gonna have to make a special trip to CS to get this for sure.

You can't order a la carte the way you used to be able to unfortunately. At least not according to the menu. Maybe they'll make certain exceptions upon request, but they only list the packages now. They used to have a different option that DH loved that was a bit more on the manly side. I wish they would bring back the menu the way it used to be.

It is totally worth making a special trip for breakfast there! I cannot recommend it enough!

OMG!! As I was reading over the menu for Rix and I saw this:

View attachment 401863

I was thinking to myself....*please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!! please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!! please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!! please have someone order this so I can see it...it looks delicious!!*

and you DID!!

and it looks JUST as yummy as I imagined!!!

:laughing: I saw The Lost Bros order everything from here on Instagram awhile back so I knew I had to have this. I would have never known about this place otherwise. Glad I was able to help out with a visual!

I had no idea Bongo's was closing! That's a bummer. We love Mama Melrose, too. I think for ambiance, price, and pretty good food, it can't be beat. I can't believe we still haven't tried Blaze pizza. Every time I read your reports I'm like, "next trip we're trying Blaze pizza"! Maybe next trip! My sister ate dinner at Rix for the first time in March, and really really enjoyed it. Your breakfast looks delicious! I know my husband would love it.

Yeah we are pretty sad about Bongos closing. Mama Melrose is definitely a fav. I hope that survives all the HS changes in the coming years. Blaze is so good! It's so hard o fit in all the food you want though. So like time and so little belly space. :laughing:

Enjoying your report! I’m so glad you tried and enjoyed Rix. It used to be Las Ventanas and we have loved it for years. I’m so nervous for it though because almost every time we go we’re alone or close to it. But it’s so good! Service could be more attentive but the menu is right up our alley. You’ve got me excited for The Plaza breakfast, which we’ll try for our first time in July. Looking forward to more!

Thank you! :goodvibes I was shocked by how dead it was in there. Maybe with the new tower opening there it will bring in some more business to the restaurant. Hope you enjoy The Plaza breakfast! I loved it!

Hopefully everything is ok. It’s been awhile since you updated. Love your reviews. Best on the site!

Aww thank you! Everything is good. I have weird work hours now and struggle with updates more than I used to, but I have a big one coming today! :goodvibes

After breakfast we made a quick stop back at the resort to change. I went with an all Figment look for the day.

Then we made our way to DS and after a stroll around some shops we stopped for an afternoon ice cream treat at Ghirardelli. It was our first time here for this trip and is one of our favorite places to come on vacation.

Rob opted for one of his favorites, the Presidio Passion. Strawberry Hot Fudge Sundae - vanilla ice cream, strawberry topping and handmade hot fudge, topped with whipped cream and a dipped strawberry.

I went with an option I don't recall seeing here before, the Lands End. Salted Caramel Brownie Sundae - vanilla ice cream, a full-size Ghirardelli Chocolate Brownie, caramel sauce, sea salt and handmade hot fudge topped with whipped cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce and a cherry.

Holy smokes! This really should be shared and not eaten by one person. :laughing: It was amazing! I mean, salted caramel, hot fudge and a brownie. What's not to love?

After a walk around a beautiful DS on a perfect weather day it was time for a movie. Mary Poppins Returns!

I was so glad that I waited to see this until we were here. Very enjoyable.

Then it was time to leave DS and head to Epcot for our evening plans.

We arrived at Epcot and were treated to the sight of the Festival of the Arts set up at the entrance to the park. FOTA started the next day, but the entrance was already Figmented. Perfect for my outfit!

After a few rides, including Frozen, it was time for dinner.

We had dinner reservations this evening for Nine Dragons. I see this place get a fair amount of hate, but after eating here for the first time a couple years ago we love it! It has become a favorite for us.

We were seated right away and we both started with some appetizers.

Rob started with the Hot & Sour Chicken Soup.

He often gets this from a local place at home and loves it and loved the one here even more.

I opted for the Vegetable Spring Rolls.

It was your pretty standard spring roll, but delicious all the same.

For our entrees Rob went with the Spicy Male Bee and opted for the spiciest version.

It came with steamed rice, but he asked if he could get noodles instead and they obliged.

So apparently male means "numbingly spicy" but he did not find that to be the case. He said there were pockets of heat but overall it was not very spicy. He can handle some heat though, so I'm sure for a normal person this would be spicy. :laughing: He did very much enjoy the dish though and was glad he was able to have the noodles instead of the rice.

I opted for my favorite dish here. The Salt & Pepper shrimp which is fried shrimp and spinach noodles with garlic dressing.

Yummmm!!!!! I could eat just the noodles with the garlic dressing every day for lunch if I could. The shrimp were very lightly fried and the noodles are plentiful. Come hungry if you try this dish!

For dessert we split one of our favorite dessert on property. Banana Cheesecake Egg Rolls!

These come with a choice of strawberry red bean or caramel ginger ice cream. I prefer the strawberry and he prefers the caramel, but he got his way last time we were here, so this time we got the strawberry red bean. It is so unique and goes perfectly with the egg rolls. They are perfect for sharing and are a nice end to our meal here. Delicious as always! And better with the strawberry. ;)

For those of you on the fence about eating here because of the negative reviews I say give it a try. We never had any interest in this place thinking we can get equally as good Chinese food at home, but we love it, so you never know until you try!

Wow this DR is outdated I am so sorry you guys. I am just now getting to the first day of FOTA. Eek. I will do better. Apologies.

But we were so excited to be there for the first day of FOTA and the first thing we did was get our Figment magnet. Woot!

We had no reservations today and outside of getting that magnet our only plans were to try out some things around the festival and World Showcase.

First up, we stopped at The Land and at Sunshine Seasons I found the cutest little cake. I didn't even know what flavor it was, I just got it.

I mean... come on. How cute is that?

Turns out the cake was like a funfetti and the icing was a light peanut butter/buttercream.

First food of the day was a success! Rob got a piece of cheesecake but ate it while I was 'Gramming this picture. :laughing:

Next up in France we spotted the first Figment painting, but decided not to do the search this time as the prizes looked kinda meh.

Rob got some wine in the French gift shop and I found the cutest cup and mug I wish I had bought. Like I need more cups and mugs, but whatever.

I did however end up buying a personal favorite. Madeleines!

They were individually wrapped so they stayed nice and fresh and I munched on those back at the room throughout the week.

While I was waiting in line to make my purchase I was looking at their wine selection and I spotted this grapefruit sparkling wine.

It was cheaper than anything else so I figured, why not. Cheers!

It was very good and I keep meaning to look for this locally and see if I can find it. It was very light and sweet. Right up my alley.

Next was Morocco and camels. Watch out, they spit!

Rob stopped at the festival booth here and got the Spiced Beef with Pine Nuts and Dried Cherries, Hummus and Pita Chips which he liked but didn't rave about.

Then we stopped in America at The Artist's Table for more treats.

I got the Pan-Seared Scallop with Chorizo, Roasted Red Pepper Coulis and a Parmesan Crisp.

This is beautiful and delicious. I have had this previously and enjoyed it and it was good today. A bit too much green pepper for my liking, especially when it says red pepper, but it was delicious.

I also got the Beef Wellington with Mushroom Bordelaise, Fennel Cream, and Roasted Baby Vegetables.

I loved this! It is up there with the fillet during F&W for me. The beef was a touch too done for me, but the meat was flavorful and I loved the veggies and the presentation. I saw others not loving this, but for me this was an absolute favorite.

Rob opted for the beer flight at Block & Hans.

Next up was Germany and I decided to try the Schofferhofer Pomegranate which they had on tap along with the beloved grapefruit beer.

It was good, but I like the grapefruit beer better. I'm sticking with that from now on.

Rob stopped at the booth in Germany for a beer. My notes fail me as to what it was so, here's a beer. :laughing:

He also stopped at this art booth and got a smaller version of this painting. No joke. It is currently hanging up in his man cave.

During the festival there were some cute paintings incorporated into the surroundings in WS. Loved this one!

Next up was Norway where Rob got yet another mysterious beer.

And I tried a Troll Horn from Kringla Bakeri for the first time. This is Cloudberry Jam with Whipped Cream in a Crispy Pastry Sugar-coated Shell.

I usually opt for the School Bread here, but I am so glad I tried this. It has a nice fruity flavor that is very muted and the cream is so sugary and delicious. I loved it! I would get this again. Still love School Bread more, but this was tasty. All the option in here look amazing honestly.

Oh hey it's another mystery beer! :laughing:

Seriously, I cannot keep track of these beers today.

We were back at the start of WS and I decided I really wanted something I have not tried here before. Traditional Poutine. French fries, beef gravy, and cheese curds.

There was no line here, but we waited forever for fresh French fries, but it was so worth it. How have I not had these here before? Amazing! I shared these, but really didn't want to. :laughing: Also, why doesn't everywhere have poutine. America is missing out.

It was pretty warm out today, so one time around was it for us. Plus it was pretty packed on the first day of FOTA, so we were out before 2pm.

Overall it was a successful Epcot day!

Last edited:
After our morning/afternoon at Epcot we decided to do a little laundry and enjoy our chance at a little pool time on this warmer day. Lucky for us the pool was very close to our room at OKW.

Later that evening we decided to take our chances on getting a table at Homecomin'. It was pretty crowded, but we spotted two open seats at the bar and snatched them up. I started with my favorite drink here. The Local. Rum Haven coconut water rum, lime, simple syrup, and fresh pineapple

I recreate this at home now and the key is fresh lime juice. DOn't use the bottled stuff if you make this at home. It's so delicious and refreshing. This drink just tastes like vacation.

Rob decided to try something new here and went with the Cuban Sandwich. House-smoked pork, shaved country ham, house-made pickles, yellow mustard and Swiss cheese pressed between slices of fresh Cuban bread, served with house-made barbecue chips drizzled with icebox dressing.

He really loved it and said it's one of the best Cuban sandwiches he has ever had. I hate mustard and I don't like pickles on sandwiches so I have never had a Cuban before. He loves them though.

I was torn between my two dinner favorites here and ended up going with the Chopped Pork Barbecue Plate Dressed with HFK sweet and spicy barbecue sauce served with Momma's mac and cheese and cheddar drop biscuits.

The pork here is phenomenal. It is not fatty and the barbecue sauce is delicious. And this mac and cheese. Heaven.

Hands down my favorite mac and cheese on the planet.

I could not finish this. I never can. So I took some leftovers to enjoy back at the room later.

This is basically the only restaurant where I will eat at the bar. It is very roomy and the bartenders are always very friendly and attentive. Homecomin' is one of my favorite restaurants not just in WDW, but anywhere. A must do!

After dinner we settled in for a movie. This time Bohemian Rhapsody ended our Disney day.

The next morning we were back right at opening for brunch at Homecoming'.

We did not have a reservation, but we got a seat with no problem since it was still so early.

We started with the House-Made Doughnuts. Mini iced doughnuts piled with pecans, bacon and drizzled with house-made caramel.

We split these and they were phenomenal. I feel like sometimes they add bacon to things just to do it, but this worked. Heaven.

I got the same brunch entree again this time. The Hallelujah Biscuit. Open-faced biscuit topped with Chef Art's famous fried chicken, two over-easy eggs, pimento cheese, pecan-smoked bacon and smothered in a sawmill gravy. I got the potato gratin mash as my side.

There are no words for how rich and decadent this is. It's almost too much, yet totally perfect. This gravy is to die for.

Rob also opted for his same entree of the Fried Greens, Eggs & Ham. Open-faced biscuit topped with griddled country ham, fried green tomatoes, over easy eggs, shaved country ham, dressed arugula and remoulade sauce. He went with bacon for his side.

He loves this dish. It will be hard to get either one of us to try anything else but what we have already tried.

This is hands down my favorite brunch on property. I wish they had this every day. The good news is that they now open at 9:30am for brunch so you can still hit this and then a park at a decent time and not miss out on your day.

And because this insane calorie fest wasn't enough I also made a stop at Sprinkles. I mean I did wait until much later to eat one and another the next day but still.

Red velvet and salted caramel. My two favorites here.

After a short break back at the room we decided to skip the parks today and went back to DS for an afternoon showing of Glass, which was selling out it's showtimes. We ordered tickets on the AMC app and off we went!

Then came time for one of our only bad food decisions of the trip. We wanted Blaze, but the line was pretty long. Same with Chicken Guy. D-Luxe also had a long line, but not as bad and I was really craving a burger from here so this is where we ended up.

The food here is delicious, but we STRUGGLED to get a seat. I mean, struggled for real for real. It was kill or be killed in there. People were hovering and snatching up tables the second someone made a move to stand up. I am not that cutthroat, so we just couldn't get a table. When our food was ready and a server came out with our meals she couldn't get one for us either. Finally she quit too and kind of yelled at a big group taking up too much space to make room for us at the end of a big table inside. It was super duper awkward. I was sitting right next to a stranger who already hated me, so my food pics are not that great.

I got a vanilla shake here which was delicious. I love when they do the whipped cream and cherry on a shake.

We split some fries which were pretty unremarkable. I swear I liked them last time I was here, but this time I did not care for them.

No clue what burger Rob got, but I got the Southern Burger with a Fried Green Tomato, Pimento Cheese, Lettuce, and Bacon. I opt for cheddar instead of the pimento cheese however.

Sorry, again not the greatest pic, but I was not really liking my burger here this time. Not sure if I was just put off by the whole mess of finding a seat and it affected my judgement, but overall it was not one of our best dining experiences of the trip.

Then, to top off the evening, we get back to the room and I go to use my Magic Band to get in the room and realize my Orange Bird Magic Band is somehow gone from off my wrist. I knew I had it at the movies and then from there I don't know how I lost it. Ugh. Brunch was amazing, but dinner and our evening not so much. You win some, you lose some I guess.

The next morning we decided to hit up Raglan Road bright and early for lunch. This was our last brunch opportunity and I wanted to try Maria and Enzo's but ended up opting to save a little money and a champagne headache from unlimited mimosas and came here instead.

We got a seat right by the stage which was nice when the music started.

They brought us out little fruit smoothies for free as a starter which is a nice thing they often do here for brunch.

We started with the chef's featured cheeseboard this day which was a lovely cheddar.

Perfection! I am choosey about cheese boards, but this one was my kind of cheese and I loved it. I was wishing I wasn't sharing. :laughing:

For entrees we both went with our favorites. I got the Eggs en Cocotte. Baked farm fresh eggs with spinach, mushrooms, and Dubliner cheddar cheese server with toast soldiers.

The eggs weren't quite as cheesy as they usually are, but this was absolutely delicious. I will never stray from this option again.

Rob got the Hipsters Lament. Smashed avocado, Irish bacon and poached eggs on sourdough with chive butter.

After he discovered he loved this dish he comes across avocado toast regularly now, but rarely does it have a meat on it, so he never gets it anywhere else. He does love their option here however. He has a hard time getting anything else here for brunch.

We were sad to have this be our last brunch of the trip, but it was a good one. More brunches Disney! More brunches!

Then I stopped at Starbucks for their seasonal Frappuccino. I forget what it was but it had whipped cream throughout it. It was a bit much.

I will never understand how people skip DS on their trips. I could seriously live here.

Now it's park time!

As we were leaving to head to the buses we passed a big lost & found and Rob suggested I stop and see if by some random chance they had my Orange Bird Magic Band. After a bit of back and forth with another CM on the phone they actually found it! I couldn't believe it! And they had it at a storage facility across the street which someone brought over within minutes.

Reunited!

Disney lost & found is no joke people. I loved them for this.

We decided to go to Epcot, so we took a bus to Yacht Club which was already at the stop. I just love an excuse to come here.

Not a bad view for our walk to Epcot.

The progress on the Skyliner station at the time. I can't wait to ride in these!

We made our way around WS and I decided to stop at the FOTA booth in France for some dessert. I tried the Molten Chocolate Cake with Pure Origin Valrhona Chocolates.

Holy smokes was this delicious! I could eat this every day. I love a good lava cake and this one was perfect. Glad I stopped here!

Rob stopped at Block & Hans for a Ciderboys Grand Mimosa Apple Orange Hard Cider.

He really enjoyed this. I wish I had gotten one this trip as I love ciders on tap.

I ended up stopping at the Pop Eats both for a beverage and tried the #RainbowSherbertGlitterDreamAle by Playalinda Brewing Co., Titusville, FL.

It's somewhat hard to tell in this photo, but this beer had a ton of glitter in it. It was gorgeous in the sunlight. I wish I could buy this locally. It didn't taste the best. I was hoping it would be a bit fruitier, but it was a very cool concept. Perfect for this festival.

It was MLK weekend and pretty crowded, so we ended up cutting our time in Epcot pretty short and headed back to the resort.

Later in the day we opted for dinner at Blaze Pizza.

This was by far the lowest line we had ever seen. I think it was the first time it wasn't out the door. I did notice that the line outside does have a handy little sign showing how long the line is from the point you are at, which I thought was pretty cool. The line does move quickly, even when its huge.

I drove us to DS from OKW and we left, got our pizzas and were back in the room within 30 minutes which was awesome! The buses would have taken infinitely longer.

This time I went with no sauce, lots of mozzarella, chicken, red pepper, black olives, oregano and a BBQ drizzle. It was a new favorite combo!

Rob had one of his loaded creations.

Blaze Pizza in the resort room at WDW. There is nothing better.

Hi, Jeri! Good to have you back! I've really missed your TR's. We had Blaze Pizza for the first time in May and absolutely LOVED it! I am planning on going back in August.

Homecomin' is always so good, but I've found a new DS fav in Morimoto. The ribs are phenomenal!!!

I also love Nine Dragons, the service, food quality and value make it one of my favorites right now. The garlic shrimp with noodles is what I’ll have next time for sure.

Glad you got your Orange Bird back.

Last edited:
Awesome update! I love and hate how Disney Springs has so many awesome food choices now. I usually don’t go there more than once a trip, but it’s impossible to fit all my favorites in now!

Trying homecomin’ brunch on my next trip and your review has me so excited 😍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts