I'm losing it for Disney (long) ...

Bete

DIS Veteran
I gave this about a week before posting to make sure the entire trip was absorbed in my memory. Let me say I've been to Disney over a dozen times and I know the ins and outs of how to enjoy the Disney parks. It's the place I have visited the most for our vacations. I'll be going back this May for the Flower and Garden show because we have not done that event. This was our first Christmas Holiday trip to Disney and the other parks. We did it all starting in Tampa, then heading for Cypress Gardens, onward to Disney and then Orlando. We took 24 days for this trip and 11 days were devoted to Disney.

Our Busch Gardens experience was fantastic. Through AAA we were able to get annual passes for this park and Sea World together for $99 each. The boards here led me to this great deal; so, thanks. Their animal experiences beat out Animal Kingdom in a heartbeat. The rides are more fun and interesting, as well as, you get a closer view of the animals then the Safari ride at Disney. We took a special tour which shelled out another $75 a piece but let me tell you what an experience. We hugged a giraffe, fed a rhino (yes, a rhino), and we were in breathing distance to hippos. I'll remember that experience forever. A photographer was with us and we have 18 photos to remember this adventure. The good news: we bought the additional photos at half price because we had annual pass discounts. The park has a good mix of challenging roller coasters, shows and animal encounters. We loved it. The park is very manageable in 2 days with even repeating certain rides that we enjoyed. We spent time at the aquarium and science museum while we were there, too.

Next, we went to Cypress Gardens and what a Christmas light show. Again, I felt it beat out Disney and the Osbourne lights-sorry. The layout was more stetched out and they had a theme in one area for the twelve days of Christmas. There were two directions for the lights; so, you are not packed in like sardines when viewing it. Cost of annual passes here for us was $65 a piece. They had a Victorian theme and wonderful carrollers strolling for your enjoyment. The park was manageable in a day because they had extended hours for the Christmas lights. We took in another place, Bok Santuary, for their Bell Tower. This was another wonderful Christmas experience.

Onward, we went to Sea World. I absolutely loved the Norman Rockwell exhibits for Christmas. They had a Christmas group nearby for carols. We saw two, different Shamu shows, one at night with fireworks. The Shamu dining experience was a joy and well worth the $25 price tag. It was crowded but everyone seemed polite enough.

Okay, we made it to Disney. I forked out $367 each for regular annual pass vouchers and I know the price is higher, now. I know it's Chritmas but I'm allowing 2 days at each park with three days reserved for going back to favorites or just relaxing. I felt crowded the whole time. Compared to everywhere else (including Universal and IOA) people here were more pushy and rude. We know fastpass is a good thing but with huge wait periods to go back and ride, it just isn't practical to do it at this time of year. We accomplished alot by going early mornings and leaving for a break in the afternoon and going back in the evening. I was big on seeing the special, traditional holiday features at Epcot. Well, the Norway Santa Claus didn't show up for the first show. A CM came by and informed us the next time would be ok. We went to France and the same thing happened there-a no show. This time no CM to tell us anything. We lunched at Chef de France to wait for the next time. Again, a no show and again no CM. I wanted a complete collection of all the countries. Needless to say, this didn't happen because of France. We talked to families who were happy to get in a parade and 3 attractions for the day. I don't believe that's enough for the money you spend. I'm a picture taker; so, we had to line up 2 hours ahead for the best views of parades and fireworks at all the parks. Of course, you had to contend with the last minute groups who want to push their way in after you put in your two hours waiting for a good spot. My favorite Christmas experiences there were MVMCP and our Illuminations cruise. Keep in mind though we had to dish out another $40 dollars each for the party and $120 not counting tip for the cruise. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and I have no bad comments there but we did pay the most for our stay there per day. Our dining experiences were even worse. We had PS for everything we did and we took in alot of the special character meets, etc. With PS we still waited at times for 20-30 minutes. I think that's too long. 1900 Park Fare was a zoo. The buffet was sub-standard and the children were not to be believed. They were running around trying to get at the characters instead of waiting at their table for their turn. One child near our table was throwing her food all over including the floor were you could slip and fall. She was old enough to know better. The parents were not moved by this behaviour. The noise level here was unreal. I will never go near this place again. We went to MGM for NYE. AS everyone knows there was a downpour of rain that night. Luckily for us, I had Hollywood and Vine PS for the time the rain started. I couldn't believe it but there were people with PS for two hours later trying to get in earlier because of the rain. It made it tough to even get into the restaurant because of these crowds. Even shopping was a push and shove experience to pay. It was exhausting each and everyday after all the struggles through the parks, etc. We talked to others and many felt the same way we did.

Next, we headed for the Royal Pacific. The commute on the boat to the parks is very convenient and very fast. We had our worse wait of 10 minutes for a boat. It was our first time enjoying front of the line access to Universal and IOA. Here, we paid $250 for both of us for annual passes(breakdown $125 a piece). We absolutely loved this perk. I believe it was more crowded here then Disney. As an example, Spiderman had a three hour wait in the regular line and it's 1/2/03. The Macy parade was very refreshing. Noone pushed for the parade for the last minute viewing, either.

Thank goodness most of the trip was wonderful. I'm sorry if this hurts the diehard Disney fans but I'm trying very hard to be honest; so, the newbies have a better understanding of it all.

I felt the same way after we came back last January. SeaWorld is my fav park and we also loved staying onsite at USF but my family still has a special place inour hearts for WDW. It was tough with all the cutback lasr year to want to go back. Now for our trip this year hours are almost normal, fireworks and and an extra Spectro is on. EE returning is why we are. WDW will always be more hectic then USF or the Busch parks its just part of the territory.

I never have understood why people in one of the happiest places on earth can't be happy and kind themselves. I feel like it's up to everyone in those parks to help everyone else have an enjoyable time. Yes, it will be crowded at certain times of the year...but when you know that, you should mentally prepare for it and work hard NOT to be rude.

I'm sorry it was so disheartening. But it reinforces my idea of not going down there during those peak times. We usually try to catch the very first or very last of the special holidays....just so we can enjoy the decorations/festivities....but miss the crowds!

We stayed at BC from 12/22 to 12/29 and we had a fantastic vacation. We all agreed this was one of the best trips ever.

The longest wait we had for anything was about 15 minutes. We used EE and FP and had a great time. We left at lunch when the crowds got big.

We waited 15 minutes for TOD parade. 45 minutes for Illuminations. 30 minutes for the MK Christmas parade.

We found it MUCH less crowded than early March last year. Or even Christmas last year. And are planning on going this year, too.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. :(

Outside of Disney we paid $99 plus $125 plus $65 for annual passes and this entitled us to Busch Gardens, Sea World, Cypress Gardens, Universal and IOA. This came to 5 parks for $289. Now, compare this to $367 for Disney for 4 parks. The variety of the 5 parks outweigh the Disney parks. The time allotted for the 5 parks was less then the 4 parks at Disney and we accomplished more. We did more attractions, etc. for the 5 parks then Disney. Our lodging cost more for Disney while the other resorts were mostly comparable. Dining costs are by far more costly at Disney parks and resorts and in most instances our meals were better elsewhere. I'm not trying to be a Disney basher but it's truly getting to me to dish out more and get less. Also, I actually thought Busch Gardens and SeaWorld were the cleanest of the parks we visited. Now, take into account nicer people at the other parks and it's a real downer about Disney.

JulesMom please post your strategies on the parks because you are truly amazing based on your post. I do better then most when it comes to accomplishing park attractions but you truly did very well for that time of year. TIA

Originally posted by Bete
I'm sorry if this hurts the diehard Disney fans but I'm trying very hard to be honest; so, the newbies have a better understanding of it all.

I'm glad your being honest, for the time that you visited.

We've only visited Disney off-season and while we've never seen the parks in all their holiday splendor, I think your post confirms for me at least that we will stick to our plan. Maybe you'll enjoy it more if you go back off-season.

I think off-season is a totally different experience.

As far as the prices for the non-Disney tickets goes, they probably stay under the Disney price-line radar in order to attract people away from the Disney parks. If their prices were equal to or more than Disney's people would be less likely to leave and visit the other parks.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Disney as much this year. I hope you have better luck next time.

Perhaps you should have done Disney 1st? You wouldn't have had the major crowds as are expected right at Christmas. We have gone the 2nd week of December, still taken advantage of everything (you can see the Christmas parade during the MVMCP, and spending the extra money to do it that way is well worth it), but without the added complication of big crowds, rude people, PS that have to be confirmed with a credit card, and long waits.

If you had flip flopped your vacation, you may have run into a similar circumstance at the other parks as well. You can't tell. Also, the other parks are not THE destination for Christmas that WDW is.

I hope you won't let this one vacation sour you on Disney vacations. Just avoid the very crowded times, and you will still find that the same magic is intact!

We visited Disney 12/14 thru 12/23. The crowds were minimal. However, we saw a big change in the amounts of people towards the end of the week. Maybe next time, take the advice of the previous poster and flip flop your park visits.

I do, however, agree with your comment on 1900 Park Faire. We went there during our April visit and were absolutely aghast at the behavior of some of the children there. (This is not to say that this same behavior didn't happen anywhere else). I cannot understand why some parents let their children behave as animals. At one point a child was badgering Eyeore so much while he was trying to visit with our children that we had to step in and tell the boy that Eyeore would visit him when it was his turn. The child then was nasty to us and stalked away. Didn't his parents notice the behavior????

Anyway, sorry to rant. That particular incident struck a chord though.

We were at WDW from 12/17 - 12/25. If we had not bought APs on for this trip (knowing we would want to go back), we wouldn't be going back. Maybe my expectations were too high because it was Christmas. I was expecting to be overwhelmed and in owe of the Christmas decorations, and I found them (exception Osborne Family of Light) to be a let down.

We lived in Kansas City, Missouri for a long time. And those that have visited The Plaza and Crown Center at Christmastime; you might understand my disapointment.

We just didn't find the magic that has been there on previous trips. We enjoyed where we stayed, we enjoyed the parks, but something was missing. The something that we are will to pay a lot more for! We are returning again in October, but only because we have APs.

I'm hopeful for a bit more magic then.

Lori

I had to vent. Perhaps being there at the worse time possible is not a smart idea for us. I've learned my lesson and I won't do that again. I'm still looking forward to our trip in May. I'm avoiding Mother's Day and Memorial weekend at Disney. I want the magic back.

Now, I'm curious if there is anyone else out there that would share their time at the holidays. By the way, we were there from 12/19 to 1/02/03. We did SeaWorld a few days during that time even though we stayed at Disney.

I'm done with my bad feelings about Disney. Thanks to all of you. I do hold Disney up to a higher standard. This trip has opened my eyes to seeing other places in the area.

We were in Disney from 12/25-12/30 and it was our favorite visit yet! We are fortunate to go to Disney at least 3 times a year so we didn't panic if we found crowded venues. We went to enjoy dedicated family time, enjoy the decorations (many are understated, but I love understated decorations), and celebrate DD's 18th birthday. We knew it would be crowded and didn't let it get us down. Once we actually let a MK bus leave the resort without us on it - it was packed to the gills! The next bus arrived 10 minutes later and there were plenty of seats. We picked a few things to do at each park and were pleased to get these things done. When we noticed a MK night that was not crowded we took advantage of the opportunity and hopped on a bunch of rides. We spent time at the resort enjoying the resort amenities. I think this relaxed style (which we've adopted over the last several visits) helped us enjoy the holidays at Disney!

I totally agree with the 1900 Park Fare assessment. Our first visit there was very nice. Our 2nd visit there was awful! I'd rather go to Boatwright's or the Concourse Steakhouse or the Yachtsman (etc) and have a nice sit down meal with well behaved kids for the same amount of money!

I also thoroughly enjoy Busch Gardens and Sea World. I've never been to Cypress Gardens (can you imagine after living in Florida for 19 years!) and I think Universal is so-so. I was actually disappointed with IOA.

I hope you have a wonderful May trip!! We're looking forward to a short weekend trip next week. I feel fairly confident that it will be less crowded than at Christmas!! :p

I agree that the busier times takes a little away from the Magic. We've been 4 times, and we've always stayed for 6 days, Sunday through Friday.

Well, this past year, we changed our days to be Monday through Saturday, so we could see the MK fireworks. Well, we loved the fireworks, but we hated being at the MK on a Saturday (in May). It seems that Saturdays more people visit the park just for a one-day amusement park rather than a part of a magical vacation. It was crowded, people were rude (one person knocked down my son, who uses a walker because he has cerebral palsy, just to get a better view of the parade), and we did not enjoy it.

I can only imagine how it would be at a peak time during the holidays.

Hi Bete. I'm sorry you had such a rough time. I was there from Dec 26-29 for a short trip. This was my first Christmas there. I was a bit dissapointed with the Christmas decorations also. I was expecting a lot more. Especially at Epcot with all the signs for Christmas around The World. It was very unspectacular. I really enjoyed the Very Merry Christmas parade at the MK tho. The crowds were horrendous. I have not seen it like that since I was there when I was 6, that was when there was only MK, Epcot, and Sea World in Orlando. We did decide that that was the last time we would go at Christmas. This year, we plan on going maybe the 2nd week of December. We still loved it, but we were so frustrated because of the crowds, it really took most of the pleasure away.
Julie

I also was at Disney for 12/22-1-/3...We got PAP at 500 each for 4 of us. No way did we get our moneys worth. It took us 4 trips to MK just to ride SPace Mountain. The fast pass times were 4- 6 hours ahead each day from those that got them 1st thing in morn. The reg lines were ridiculous & if you could withstand the cold, you could come back late. It poured rain for our CP X-mas Eve & all the seats undercover were either taken or being saved(Whats up with that??)Yes we've been there before,Yes we picked & chose what to do as available, but it wasn't the same & no we can't go any other time since we can't take our kids out of school(High School) It was a dissappointing trip. the highlights were Afternoon Tea, Rainforest cafe, NY Eve Party at Dolphin, all of which we had to pay alot extra for enjoyment just to get out of the parks(crowded....) I guess I needed to vent also, It didn't help that my DH<&DS got the flu, the my DH &dd got colds.It was A Griswald affair!!
(PS) If there is Tokyo Disney & Euro Disney, why do they all come to FLA?????????

You all got sick too? I woke up Christmas Day sick and low and behold, of course that is the day we were driving to Disney. I couldn't speak the entire time. I felt like a little kid having to tug at hubby's sleeve to get his attention!!!!
Julie

Where did it rain on Christmas eve? Or did you mean New Years Eve? We were there from 24th to 2nd and it only rained (as far as I knew) on NYE.

In any case, I can't really give an unbiased opinion on our vacation during that time because...... this was our very first trip to Disney World and even MY first trip- at age 33yrs old and I'd wanted to go to WDW my whole life!!!! So I was fulfilling a dream. Pretty much nothing would have ruined my time there. LOL

I will say that the "hype" I'd given myself all those years wasn't exactly what I thought it'd be. I don't blame WDW for that though because of A) the time we picked to go (for school reasons also) which was the busiest time of the year I am told. and B) because we have young children. We knew before even going that it would be hectic, that our youngest two wouldn't be able to ride most of the rides, etc.

I'm going to try to solve that problem and take a solo trip later this month. ;)

I know that on Christmas day my family was tired so we went back to the rooms and they went to sleep early. at 9pm I went ALONE back to MK and I think those few hours alone were the most fun I had the entire trip. Pretty sad to say, but true. Not pushing a stroller and having to leave it at every ride even though she couldn't ride it, not having to carry all our belongings off the stroller in lines, being able to rush or not rush at will, being able to shop without whining children (or Dh rushing me! LOL), etc. I think those few hours were enough to let me know that until my children are older and I somehow convert DH into loving WDW/Mickey/Etc that my best bet for having a better time will be to go alone.

We did have fun... just not as much fun as I think we could have done. Relaxing it was NOT. In order to even get close to our money's worth (because of it being so busy) we had to get up at the crack of dawn (actually earlier! LOL) and rush up there before they opened, run around and ride as many rides as we could and waste a lot of time running here and there getting fastpasses (the alternative was not an option: waiting in long lines with a 2yr old, just turned 5yr old and 8yr old). I'm not a morning person. I'd rather stay late than go early. Yanno? This is another reason why I think I'd do better alone... although the parks aren't open as late during nonpeak seasons. (bummer!!) But that's okay... I'll just make sure I check out Downtown Disney and PI this time. :) We were there 8 nights and still felt majorly rushed and so much we didn't do or get to enjoy while there.

But as I said...my first trip after wanting to go for sooooo long- nothing short of the parks being closed down for some reason would have ruined our time there.

Oh and we didn't even have any PS arrangements because our trip was very spur of the moment (we left on our way there just days after the first thought of going hit our brains!) but we managed to be able to go to the princess' breakfast without a PS and it was very enjoyable for all. Well worth the expensive cost for a 5 person family. :) I know we were lucky to manage to catch a morning where they had plenty of available seats. :)

Things can get hectic at WDW at busy or holiday times. With all the guests the CMs and other guests can be really stressed. I was there just a little before you were and the parks were not crowded and saw no rude guests. Maybe for your next trip you might want to go on the off season. After all, a stressful vacation is really no vacation at all.

Boy, I'm sorry some of you didn't have the Christmas trip that I had. It was our best ever!! This was trip number 12 for us since 1997 and our third Christmas time trip. Our son is in elementary school so we only go when he is out of school. We arrived on 12/20 about noon and our room was ready! Talk about great. We were able to unpack our car and set up our Christmas tree and decorations.

We headed over to MK to catch the last Share a Dream Come True parade until after Christmas and got a front row with only a little wait. We saw the evening fireworks. Then we stayed for MVMCP which was a blast. We stayed until midnight and saw the Christmas parade AND the Christmas party fireworks. Wow, two parades and two fireworks in one night. We got to eat our dinner at the Plaza just like we planned. Yum. We did ride after ride after ride.

Our next eight days were just a wonderful. We did have rain on Christmas eve night and were so lucky to have our CP dinner at 4:45 ( so we missed that rain) and the 6:45 CP, so we didn't get rained out of that. We were in the front row, so it was a little hard to see everything, but we had great sound. We had our ponchos with us, so we donned them and walked back to our car.

We rode so many rides we were almost tired of them (the kids did BTMRR six times in a row one night). We got fastpasses so many times and often got one right after or right before we used the first one. We did RNRC and TOT several times with little or no wait.

We ate our way through all the parks (and I only gained 2 pounds). We had buckets of caramel corn and tollhouse cookie ice cream sandwiches by the ton. We had great spots to watch the shows and parades. Met nice people everywhere we went. We had no run-ins with rudeness anywhere. We had a Illuminations Cruise with another family on Christmas Night. We got to go to BB once because it was a little cool to go swimming.

We thought the decorations were outstanding. We've also been there two Thanksgivings, so we have seen them a few times. We love the Osborne Lights, even with the crowds. We love the "snow" on New York Street and Main Street.

We had breakfast with Cinderella. We ate at the Plaza twice. Teppanyaki once. We even ate at Sci-Fi and Prime Time without PS (early lunch about 11 and late lunch about 1) and very short wait. We ate at House of Blues one afternoon.

We saw the long lines at some of the attractions, but by the time these lines had formed, we had already been on it one or two times. You have to go when the park opens. If you decide that you are on vacation and sleep late, well, you get what you get.
We did rides during parades and fireworks shows and caught the later parade whenever possible. We spent more time than ever at the parks on this trip and did it all. We even did Disney Quest and got to do Pirates of the Caribbean two or three times before the lines got long.

We had a great turkey dinner at our Home Away from Home at OKW after Christmas morning mass at the Contemporary.

We headed home on 12/28 after a morning at the MK. We ate lunch and our son had his hair cut at the MK Barbershop before we left.

We had a great time.

This past Dec. I had my 8th visit to WDW since 1993. One of the reasons that I deliberately choose Dec 2nd to 8th, is because it has low crowds. I'm sure if I went at such a busy time it would take away a lot of magic for me. My time there was my very best, ever. I had such a wonderful time on my solo vacation.
I was only there for 6 nights, and yet, I did everything that I wanted to do. I didn't miss a thing !

I have noticed that *everywhere*, not just Disney, parents are allowing their children to run loose in restaurants, and to yell and scream right at the table. Maybe the parents are told to ignore such behavior, however, this disturbs everyone else.

I remember working in retail sales for 7 Christmases in a row, although a long time ago. It always seemed like the closer we got to Christmas, the customers became more impatient and downright crabby. I think the same holds true for the increasing crowds at WDW. Every one of you would want to get the full value of your vacation, but it might not be possible on the most crowded week. You just have to expect that !

Bete wrote

Of course, you had to contend with the last minute groups who want to push their way in after you put in your two hours waiting for a good spot.

That never ceases to amaze me. We're always in position at least an hour before the start time, usually right on the tapeline.
It never fails that about the time the parade starts, someone will ask me if I mind if his/her 12-year-old child sits on my toes to view the parade. And when I say that I do mind, I'm suddenly the Worlds Newest Jerk.

On 12/30 we viewed the 8pm Spectro parade from in front of a fenced in tree 'island' on the edge of Liberty Square. CM's had to shoo guests off of the island, off the fences and out of the trees! Finally they were so inundated with rude 'trespassers' that they gave up.

Other than watching the antics of those folks, a bad dining experience, and the crowds on 12/30 & 31, our 12/30 through 1/4 trip was wonderful! The resort was nice (POFQ), the only ride we missed was Test Track, the weather was great other than the NYE monsoon, and we never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a PS except when our 'buzzer' malfunctioned at Le Cellier. After 20 minutes I approached the podium and spoke to the hostess, and we were immediately seated.

Let's hope that the Magic returns for you, and that Disney reads these boards. I'm sure they could get more info here on what people think of their operation than from any snap survey at a park entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter