I'm Totally Off My Game, a Bonus Trip to WDW - All Wrapped Up! Bonus DL Features, An Extended weekend with friends 2/23

It's funny. I never even considered that it would have been a thing with minors, but you keep coming back to that. Is there something going on with your kids? :scratchin

:laughing:
LOL!! All but one are over 21's now. And I will neither confirm nor deny my youngest tried a sip or two of this or that.

Looks like a heck of a good breakfast to end your Disney time with! I guess if you're going to go about all day without eating again you might as well fill up!

It was a darned good breakfast. I rarely eat 3 meals a day at home. With the 3PM rehearsal it was going to be hard to get another meal beforehand. I wasn't really hungry, but by the end of rehearsal, I was starving!

I can't believe the bandaid on the outlets. Holy cow! Either that's some shoddy management or shoddy housekeeping... maybe a bit of both?

Like i said, i was questioning the hotel and their practices...

I'm not Canadian, but I had the Tetris thought as well. I'll just leave it alone since they beat me to it.

I'll give you an honorable mention! :laughing:

Delish. I liked it so much I made it for dinner. Kay said it was the best omelet she's ever had.

Hmmm...so how do you make your omelets? Do you make them in the classic French style or do you make them like the omelet stations at most brunches. I just learned in the last couple years that all this time what we have been lead to believe we are eating omelets at these brunches and technically they are frittatas! :eek: The horror!

I make eggs fairly often. Scrambled, anyways since it's so easy.

See I'm not a huge fan of eggs. Plus I have "rules".
  • They must be real eggs not mixed from a powder, so that means I wont eat most buffet eggs.
  • They must be freshly cooked, like minutes before I eat them. So no Starbucks egg sandwiches that come wrapped in plastic. Who knows when those eggs were cooked!
  • Yolks must either be runny or mixed into scrambled eggs. So at McDonald's that means either ordering the sandwich with egg whites only or I have to perform a yolk-ectomy on said sandwich.
  • They must be served hot and they can not be burnt or overcooked. If there are brown spots on them, that's no bueno. I like them sort of undercooked when scrambled.
  • Eggs need a breakfast meat (ie. Bacon, Sausage, Ham, Keilbasa, Corned Beef Hash, Steak, etc)
As a result I don't end up eating them too often and mostly I make them at home since there aren't many places that make scrambled eggs how I like them. Plus the part about making bacon or sausage makes it time prohibitive. Plus I like toast and hash Browns so it becomes an ordeal. Then again I made the whole deal last Sunday.

If they're here in this city, I don't know about it. But it's certainly possible. I didn't know there was two ways of doing them, though. Don't think I've had Baja (deep fried).

Well a quick Yelp search of "the Peg" revealed that Cafe Carlo and Stella's Cafe at Plug In both have them. They appear to be about 20 mins from your house.

But Joey's Seafood which appears to be just a few minutes from you on Meadowood, also has them. You can even order a take out pack with fries and coleslaw and feed the whole family for $25. They look pretty good! Theres pictures on their downloadable take out menu. Nice fried and Baja Style! I don't remember is Ruby allergic to shellfish or regular fish?

Where are you again? I'm in BC and fish tacos are on like every pub/restaurant menu...we also make them at home often

I found some for him. They're all over the place, I imagine he just wasn't looking. :laughing:

That was nice that she got to do the preshow! I really wish they had added an option for people who can't use the banshee seats. Like having a platform over on the side where you can park a wheelchair or scooter. It won't move or anything

It would have been nice of them to do that. I've heard that there are seats like that in the Shanghai version of Tron.

Ugh, that's too bad! Hopefully they will include the normal seats in the back row of Tron vehicles so maybe she will get to try that? I would compare those seats to Expedition Everest.

Yes! I've heard they have those in Shanghai. I read a TR where someone could not handle the "cycle" seating and was directed to the back of the car where they had regular seats.

There's something to be said for sticking to your favorites!

::yes::

Haha, it sounds like my sister's boyfriend. Who seems to think that saying, "we are leaving the house at 8am", means "get in the shower at 8am"

She's not quite that bad, but it's taken some getting used to to finally get her going on time. I don't always make it.

I love my OL so much! I keep a comforter in it (compressed in a space bag) since the ones at DL hotels are too thin!

That's a great idea, but the pillow is more important and both wouldn't fit.

Hmmm...so how do you make your omelets? Do you make them in the classic French style or do you make them like the omelet stations at most brunches.
The latter.
But now that I've seen a video on French omelets, I want to try that too.
I just learned in the last couple years that all this time what we have been lead to believe we are eating omelets at these brunches and technically they are frittatas! :eek: The horror!
Oh, no! :laughing:
They must be real eggs not mixed from a powder, so that means I wont eat most buffet eggs.
Definitely!!! OMG... powdered eggs? Who does that???
Well... who outside of buffets, does that?
They must be freshly cooked, like minutes before I eat them. So no Starbucks egg sandwiches that come wrapped in plastic. Who knows when those eggs were cooked!
I get that. But I will eat a McD's… But that's an entirely different category for me.
Yolks must either be runny or mixed into scrambled eggs. So at McDonald's that means either ordering the sandwich with egg whites only or I have to perform a yolk-ectomy on said sandwich.
I did know that about you. I like McD's sausage and egg once in a while. Not too often, though.
They must be served hot and they can not be burnt or overcooked. If there are brown spots on them, that's no bueno. I like them sort of undercooked when scrambled.
Correct. Slightly undercooked is right. Perfectly cooked is slightly undercooked. Cooked is... ruined.
Eggs need a breakfast meat (ie. Bacon, Sausage, Ham, Keilbasa, Corned Beef Hash, Steak, etc)
See, and I like 'em just fine alone.
As a result I don't end up eating them too often and mostly I make them at home since there aren't many places that make scrambled eggs how I like them. Plus the part about making bacon or sausage makes it time prohibitive. Plus I like toast and hash Browns so it becomes an ordeal. Then again I made the whole deal last Sunday.
:lmao:
Well a quick Yelp search of "the Peg" revealed that Cafe Carlo and Stella's Cafe at Plug In both have them. They appear to be about 20 mins from your house.
Haven't been to Café Carlo. New one to me. I've never seen them at Stella's (and have been fairly often).
But Joey's Seafood which appears to be just a few minutes from you on Meadowood, also has them.
I'm positive Joey's could do them. Just like I'm positive that McDonalds can make a burger. But do you want to eat it? I mean... if you have to, but there's no way afterwards you'll say you had a good burger.

That's Joey's.
I don't remember is Ruby allergic to shellfish or regular fish?
Yes and yes.

I think there is a SAVE for later option. I've not used it much but it might be handy for you.

I've never seen that on my phone which is where I do most of my FB right now.

Huh! That seems like an enormous and GROSS job!! Kinda surprised this is allowed for health and safety reasons.

Yeah, disgusting work.

We did for MF:SR and both were a stampede. I prayed I'd not trip or I'd get totally trampled.

I think that's what they are trying to avoid.

LOL!! All but one are over 21's now. And I will neither confirm nor deny my youngest tried a sip or two of this or that.

Haven't we all? :confused3

The latter.
But now that I've seen a video on French omelets, I want to try that too.

It takes a little more prep, but I feel special when I make them that way.

Definitely!!! OMG... powdered eggs? Who does that???
Well... who outside of buffets, does that?

I dont know about that, but someone mentioned it in a TR and now I'm skeptical of eggs in buffets. Especially if they are overly pale and puffy.

I get that. But I will eat a McD's… But that's an entirely different category for me.

For me it's kind of a breakfast of last resort. When I know I need sustenance but dont have time to do it properly. Usually before parades or if we have a morning band rehearsal an hour or so away.

I did know that about you. I like McD's sausage and egg once in a while. Not too often, though.

I agree, not too often, but I do like their sausage.

Correct. Slightly undercooked is right. Perfectly cooked is slightly undercooked. Cooked is... ruined.

I'm glad we agree on that.

Haven't been to Café Carlo. New one to me. I've never seen them at Stella's (and have been fairly often).

I looked at several different locations for Stella's, even the one at the airport, and they all had them on the menu. They were listed under "Mains".

I'm positive Joey's could do them. Just like I'm positive that McDonalds can make a burger. But do you want to eat it? I mean... if you have to, but there's no way afterwards you'll say you had a good burger.

Ah, got it! No wonder they had such "deals" on the menu.

It takes a little more prep, but I feel special when I make them that way.
How did it turn out? I'm trying one for the first time in about 5 minutes.
(Right after I post this. :))
I dont know about that, but someone mentioned it in a TR and now I'm skeptical of eggs in buffets. Especially if they are overly pale and puffy.
Yeah... I always take buffet scrambled eggs and I'm always majorly disappointed.
For me it's kind of a breakfast of last resort. When I know I need sustenance but dont have time to do it properly. Usually before parades or if we have a morning band rehearsal an hour or so away.
Breakfast of last resort. Yeah, that's about it. I had one (sausage) a few days ago because a co-worker said he was doing a McD run and asked if I wanted one (on him.) Hard to say no. Didn't wanna say no.
I'm glad we agree on that.
How could we not?? :laughing:
I looked at several different locations for Stella's, even the one at the airport, and they all had them on the menu. They were listed under "Mains".
Sorry, my bad. I didn't mean they weren't on the menu, I meant I've eaten there several times (including the airport) and haven't seen anyone order it. Next time I will! :)
Ah, got it! No wonder they had such "deals" on the menu.

How did it turn out? I'm trying one for the first time in about 5 minutes.
(Right after I post this. :))

I'm interested to hear about it! I liked the fact that the stuff inside was "filling" and not all cooked up inside the eggs. The cheese was a little meltier, but it also was a little more cooked than I usually like, however, the fillings sort of made up for that. I didn't make it brown on the outside, which was nice.

Yeah... I always take buffet scrambled eggs and I'm always majorly disappointed.

Unless there is someone there cooking in front of my and I have the option to order eggs over easy, I pass on buffet eggs. Except at 1900 when I make my little burrito....16 days.....

Breakfast of last resort. Yeah, that's about it. I had one (sausage) a few days ago because a co-worker said he was doing a McD run and asked if I wanted one (on him.) Hard to say no. Didn't wanna say no.

Yeah definitely hard to turn down when someone else is buying....

Sorry, my bad. I didn't mean they weren't on the menu, I meant I've eaten there several times (including the airport) and haven't seen anyone order it. Next time I will! :)

Ah, well it could be that not so many Northerners are aware of what they are. We are going to Holy Mole today cause all this discussion of Fish Tacos has made me want one and they have the best ones around. On Tuesdays they're only 99 cents! But I can spring for the $1.89 regular price. And their papas fritas are awesome too. It seems that we had this discussion a while back and Fish Tacos from Hole Mole were supposed to be "on the list" as well.

Day 7

2nd Day of our conference.

We had a 9AM meeting, so we got up around 7AM today. The breakfast buffet was included for Hilton Honors Gold members, so we had that going for us, which was nice.

The buffet wasn’t anything fancy, they had some make ‘em yourself waffles, warmed trays of bacon & sausage, powdered eggs, potatoes, and oatmeal. There were also those tubes of "dispense your own cereal so that we don’t have to serve you name brand." There was a nice assortment of breads and pastries, as well as fruit and other items. In fact they had full bottles of Odwalla juice. I made sure to nab at least one of those and a bottle of water every day. With that assortment I was able to come up with some variety of morning sustenance every day of our stay.

The 9AM meeting was interesting, we actually found out some curious details regarding the organization (nothing that any of you would find interesting though.) After the meeting they offered everyone a box style lunch and we watched a short workshop of presentations. Here is our band president giving his presentation.

Then, there were another set of presentations at noon, but none that interested us. We went back to the room and relaxed. Today our band rehearsed at 5PM, so we just hung around the hotel for a few hours. I wanted to do a load of laundry, but we found out that they only had dry cleaning service and no self service laundry on site. Well so much for that option. So I just worked on my TR notes and played Mahjong.

The other concert band had their rehearsal from 1-3, and then from 3-5PM the Marching band rehearsed. I was glad that we didn’t do the Marching Band and appreciated the extra relaxing time. Again more pictures stolen from the Facebook Group.

Rehearsal for our band (the “red” band) was from 5-7:30PM.

After it was over, we were too tired to walk down the street to either the Japanese or Italian places I'd found on Google Maps. I’d anticipated this, so we had just planned to have dinner in the hotel restaurant. I had a bacon burger and fries, she had a philly cheesesteak and fries. Some friends of ours from the Palm Springs band were having a drink, so we chatted with then for a few.

And again we went to bed. I know this is riveting stuff! :laughing:

Day 8

3rd Day of our conference

The early mornings don't stop on this trip. Today the red band rehearsal was at 9AM. The good news was that we were all done for the day at 11AM. The other band (green band) rehearsed from 11AM until 1PM and then most everyone boarded buses and this is what they did for the afternoon.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

However, we were going to be party poopers. We had planned for this day for several months. Pam and her Mom live near Tampa, and they often come to Central Florida to meet with people who are at Disney. They came out to see us in March when we were here.

So for this visit, we had thrown around several ideas, visit AK, maybe Disney Springs, but in the end, I got my inspiration from @skier_pete. He was just wrapping up his daughter's 16th birthday trip TR which was spent at Universal, when I got this idea. One of the last things they did was dine at Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium. This is a Steampunk inspired restaurant where many of the dishes are based around chocolate in one form of another. I thought about it, and how often would I get the chance to eat at a restaurant in Universal City Walk in Florida? We don't have plans to go back to Universal any time soon. I called up and spoke to the restaurant, and they had plenty of things that would meet our party's unique dietary requirements. All I had to say to Fran was chocolate and steampunk and she was sold!

Pam and Jeanette picked us up from the hotel and soon we were at City Walk approaching our destination.

After putting our name in at the hostess stand we perused the gift shop with its vast array of sweets and other interesting items.

And they had macarons in just about every flavor imaginable. Jeanette got us some passion fruit flavored ones to eat while we waited.

And that top shelf there. That’s Chocolate covered bacon, in three different flavors.

It wasn't long until I got a text and we were shown to our table.

I wasn't going to have any alcoholic drinks as we had a somewhat hoity toity event that night, but this vanilla chocolate cocktail sounded delicious! And it was!

Fran got the Curious Cacao. I think she liked it. I didn’t taste it, cause well, coconut.

We ordered a whole bunch of things. Onion rings with a coco ranch dipping sauce. These were good, not as good as some other places, but not bad at all. The sauce really complimented it nicely.

We also got pork belly sliders. This was the perfect sized little sandwich for me. Tasty too!

Pam got this veggie press sandwich on a glute free bun.

Fran and I split this French Onion Soup. Very yummy! Pam's mom got one of these too.

Of course we had to try the Chocolate Almond bread! Of course this picture looks more like a sweet potato. This was quite yummy! It needed the butter, but it was warm and just out of the oven.

Now they are known for their milkshakes here. We ordered the Chocolate X5, this was quite yummy!

At some point during our meal. Ms. Penelope came by. Fran and Jeanette had a lovely conversation with her.

And then our desserts came.

I got the triple chocolate bread pudding, and I couldn't even eat a quarter of it. Sorry about the blurry pic.

Fran got the S'mores sundae and gave it her best college try but she couldn't finish hers either.

Pam got the Peanut Butter "Delight"? Sundae, and she couldn't finish hers either.

But Jeanette got to join the clean plate club! She ate every last bit of her chocolate creme Brulee. It looked like she had literally licked every bit of the plate.

We sat around for quite some time chit chatting. There were tons of empty tables, so we didn’t worry about the huge crowds who were gathering in the waiting area. On our way out we ran into Penelope and Jacques who were posing for photo ops with guests. I caught them in between photos.

Here is a look into where they make some of the goodies.

We waddled back to the car having eaten way more than we all should have.

After our meal, they dropped us back at the hotel. We had an unexpected event this evening. There is a philanthropic group amongst the members of the organization that have pledged support to the LGBA over the period of the next decade. If you read my last TR you'll know that while we don't have a ton of disposable income, we are not currently recycling cans and bottles to make ends meet. So we decided that it was time for us join this group of folks at the meeting we attended on Thursday. That got us an invite to their special Gala event Saturday night. So we got ourselves relatively gussied up to have our first "night on the town" so to speak.

It was a nice reception but since just about everyone else in that group is "old" like us, the event was winding down by 9PM and we headed back to the room to go to bed.

I'm interested to hear about it! I liked the fact that the stuff inside was "filling" and not all cooked up inside the eggs. The cheese was a little meltier, but it also was a little more cooked than I usually like, however, the fillings sort of made up for that. I didn't make it brown on the outside, which was nice.
It turned out pretty well. I wasn't sure if my medium pan would work, so picked a larger one and it was too large.
But it still turned out nicely, if a little thin and long (as a result of the pan size.)
Unless there is someone there cooking in front of my and I have the option to order eggs over easy, I pass on buffet eggs. Except at 1900 when I make my little burrito....16 days.....
I should learn this... but I never do. I keep hoping to be pleasantly surprised by buffet eggs... and I never am.
Yeah definitely hard to turn down when someone else is buying....
Ah, well it could be that not so many Northerners are aware of what they are. We are going to Holy Mole today cause all this discussion of Fish Tacos has made me want one and they have the best ones around. On Tuesdays they're only 99 cents! But I can spring for the $1.89 regular price. And their papas fritas are awesome too. It seems that we had this discussion a while back and Fish Tacos from Hole Mole were supposed to be "on the list" as well.

Well.... I took my sister out to lunch today and we went to... Stella's. Guess what I ordered?

A0A261AB-B3AF-4C20-9B88-3D21A647C6A1.jpeg

they had some make ‘em yourself waffles,
I usually pass on those. They have a... pre-processed taste to them I've found.
powdered eggs,
This sounds like a familiar conversation point.
There were also those tubes of "dispense your own cereal so that we don’t have to serve you name brand."
:laughing: Never heard that... but... yes!!
we found out that they only had dry cleaning service and no self service laundry on site.
OMG.
When we (Me, DW and 2 DDs) were in Europe, we were running out of clean clothes. We were in an ultra modern hotel and I noticed they had laundry service for a very reasonable price.
So we put our laundry in the bags (yes... plural) and sent it off. Well, that reasonable price was per/item... Think it cost us about $200 to do laundry.
I had a bacon burger and fries, she had a philly cheesesteak and fries.
Yum. Thinking you didn't miss out too much.
And again we went to bed. I know this is riveting stuff! :laughing:
Fascinating! :)
then most everyone boarded buses and this is what they did for the afternoon.
Held up a banner?

Kidding. :)
Look at that turnout!
That's a cool shot!
However, we were going to be party poopers.
Oh! I was looking and looking for you guys in the photos! :laughing:
One of the last things they did was dine at Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium.
You did! Nice!
All I had to say to Fran was chocolate and steampunk and she was sold!
I've said this before... I think Fran and I would get along just fine. :)
After putting our name in at the hostess stand we perused the gift shop with its vast array of sweets and other interesting items.
::yes:: So much interesting... and delectable to look at.
And that top shelf there. That’s Chocolate covered bacon, in three different flavors.
Hello!
Fran got the Curious Cacao. I think she liked it. I didn’t taste it, cause well, coconut.
Ew...
. Onion rings with a coco ranch dipping sauce.
Hmm... don't think I'd care for that dipping sauce.
Fran and I split this French Onion Soup. Very yummy!
Interesting. I'm surprised it's cheese slices... and they haven't been completely melted.
Of course we had to try the Chocolate Almond bread! Of course this picture looks more like a sweet potato. This was quite yummy! It needed the butter, but it was warm and just out of the oven.
That sounds good!
At some point during our meal. Ms. Penelope came by. Fran and Jeanette had a lovely conversation with her.
What did they talk about?
Fran got the S'mores sundae and gave it her best college try but she couldn't finish hers either.
Of the four desserts, this one appeals to me the most.
But Jeanette got to join the clean plate club! She ate every last bit of her chocolate creme Brulee. It looked like she had literally licked every bit of the plate.
:laughing: I'm not surprised! That might've been my second choice.
Here is a look into where they make some of the goodies.
Yum. Yes please.
That got us an invite to their special Gala event Saturday night. So we got ourselves relatively gussied up to have our first "night on the town" so to speak.
Very nice. I'm sure you guys enjoyed that. :)

Looks like a busy, yet kind of relaxed time at your conference. I'd be going to bed early too. Toothsome's looks awesome. I'm glad you found an opportunity to slip over to CityWalk and try it out!

It turned out pretty well. I wasn't sure if my medium pan would work, so picked a larger one and it was too large.
But it still turned out nicely, if a little thin and long (as a result of the pan size.)

I use my small skillet which I think they call an 8 inch pan. Are your pans sized in metric?

I should learn this... but I never do. I keep hoping to be pleasantly surprised by buffet eggs... and I never am.

Silky, silly, pkondz :sad2:

Well.... I took my sister out to lunch today and we went to... Stella's. Guess what I ordered?

How were they? Other than all that cilantro, they look good! I still have not gotten mine. Maybe tomorrow before band.

I usually pass on those. They have a... pre-processed taste to them I've found.

Huh. That I haven't noticed. I usually really like them.

This sounds like a familiar conversation point.

:laughing: Never heard that... but... yes!!

I made it up! :snooty:

OMG.
When we (Me, DW and 2 DDs) were in Europe, we were running out of clean clothes. We were in an ultra modern hotel and I noticed they had laundry service for a very reasonable price.
So we put our laundry in the bags (yes... plural) and sent it off. Well, that reasonable price was per/item... Think it cost us about $200 to do laundry.

:eek: That's why I always triple check on things. Especially ones that sound too good to be true!

Yum. Thinking you didn't miss out too much.

It was a serviceable dinner. We didn't need more than that.

Fascinating! :)

:laughing:

Held up a banner?

Kidding. :)

Normally that IS Fran's job.

Look at that turnout!

Well there were more than 300 musicians in attendance so it's not surprising that at least half of them were willing to march.

That's a cool shot!

I dont know how someone got it, but again, I stole it from the FB group.

Oh! I was looking and looking for you guys in the photos! :laughing:

Surprise!

You did! Nice!
I've said this before... I think Fran and I would get along just fine. :)

We just need to get you two together when she doesn't feel sick. Which is rare. You need to visit when there are not other DISers and surprise her cause it seems if we go stay at the hotel and there are people visiting she gets sick. I think she doesn't want to meet my friends.

::yes:: So much interesting... and delectable to look at.

I know. It was quite amusing to wait for our table.

Hmm... don't think I'd care for that dipping sauce.

I wasn't sure either, but it was actually quite good!

Interesting. I'm surprised it's cheese slices... and they haven't been completely melted.

I know it doesn't look melted, but it was melty enough that it was still tasty. I guess by using slicesnthey can also use them in sandwiches too.

What did they talk about?

They talked about how she traveled around in her hot air balloon, how she discovered chocolate, and why she decided to open the restaurant. I know Fran was wondering if she would open one at Universal Citywalk in California. I know she also talked about her robot Jacques, but he wasn't with her then.

Of the four desserts, this one appeals to me the most

It was a difficult choice, so many of them sounded good.

:laughing: I'm not surprised! That might've been my second choice.

I think I need a do over!

Very nice. I'm sure you guys enjoyed that. :)

It was nice to be among the circle of folks in that group.

Looks like a busy, yet kind of relaxed time at your conference. I'd be going to bed early too.

We ended up being lucky. Since we didnt signup for the Marching Band part we had a lot more extra time. We're getting old some so going to bed early is actually becoming a bonus for us.

Toothsome's looks awesome. I'm glad you found an opportunity to slip over to CityWalk and try it out!

Me too! It was really a highlight. I'm not usually a major chocoholic but this was very fun and delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!