Imagineering

DisneyDude10171

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know information about becoming an imagineer? Any sites made by current imagineers giving advice would be ideal.

My son is interested in this. I'm looking forward to any replies you get.

Well, the best place to start is the official disney careers site at www.disneycareers.com I don't know where you can contact some real imagineers. I did get to meet and talk with a few while I worked at WDW on the college program. They're quite cool! I'd be interested in looking into a job like that as well. I'd like to be show-writer. They're the ones who come up with the stories behind the attractions and shops as well as names of things to fit the theming.

show-writing does sound cool, but I hope to get involved with architecture since that is going to be my major. MerryPoppins- what division is your son looking into?

Something happened to my answer last night. :confused:

My DS is only 15 years old. He doesn't know what he wants to do exactly. He thinks he might like to create the theming like Disney does or design new rides.

He is VERY creative. We have called him Steven Spielberg since he was 3 or 4. ;) He likes ideas, but not necessarily writing. He isn't nuts about science or math, but he does well in them. In fact he always makes the honor roll. He takes his school work seriously.

His favorite classes are media, drama, band, (he used to do vocal music, too, but there is no longer time on his schedule), and language arts. Media is his newest love. All of these classes appeal to him because he is expressing himself and creating.

I'd love to help him head in the right direction, but I don't have a clue what he might do in the future. Disney keeps coming up in our conversations. He loves all things Disney and says their ride theming doesn't compare to anyone elses. I agree.

Ohhhhhhhh........my DH wants to be an imagineer!! :teeth:

He would like to work there part of the year (NOT the summer, or he would be there alone!!).

Maybe someday.

Not to discourage any ideas but imagineering isn't the most stable area to be working in at the moment, although things can definitely change in the future. An animator that I know was saying she had the chance to talk to a man she met at the gym who was an imagineer with Disney for MANY years and he was just layed off, so sad. I think the best thing to do is find an area you are truly passionate about and learn as much as you can. Be more focused on say becoming an artist than an imagineer. Because it's the love for you craft that will bring you to the imagineering if that's what you choose to do.
MaryPoppins, is your son in any drawing classes? I never took art through out school, kinda glad I didn't too because I haven't been taught in a structured manor. I take life drawing classes every week now, and I love them!

Disney Jules has some good points. My oldest DD is 12 and also very creative. She loves to draw and is also interested in computer animation. She is also very smart and loves animals. I tell her to learn as much as she can about the things she loves and she will have many options in the future.

I think these designers said it best.....

Paula Dinkel, Lighting Designer
"Don't try to be an Imagineer! Work hard to be the best you can be at whatever you do, get an education, keep on learning, maintain your sense of wonder and discovery and have a good life."

Joe Lanzisero, Senior Concept Designer
"[Executive designer and longtime Imagineer] Rolly Crump told me of some advice Walt Disney had given him: Become a student of life, be interested in everything. Be a life sponge, soaking up, observing and recording anything and everything of interest. Develop an attitude where you never stop learning."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter