iMessage complimentary on the Fantasy this past week

I hope they are doing the same on the Dream in a few weeks!
We were on the Dream last week and the concierge host told us they were testing it only on the Fantasy currently. He actually borrowed my phone and tried to iMessage on it but it was not operational on the Dream

I personally would love iMessage, but WhatsApp would be helpful too for cross-platform support to my extended family

WhatsApp wasn't free, but we used it between us (iOS) and our son (Android) using the ship wifi last cruise. It didn't use much data at all. I think we only had the free amount and the smallest package possible. WhatsApp uses the ship wifi.

Just imessage? So only iphones? Can someone clarify? We have galaxy phones and are very happy with them (we can "facetime" using google duo) and aren't up for new phones for a year, but if you can really message home I would switch for our 7 night next June.
Apple only? We are Samsung galaxy people also, so hopefully they are doing something with Android SMS.
I was on this sailing. I could send iMessages (just text no pics), however my mom could not do anything with her galaxy. I was able to contact only family and friends with iPhones.

I sail with my wife and kids, and we all have iPhones. I would very much enjoy using iMessage to stay in touch on the ship vs. the DCL app’s chat feature.

However, I truly have no desire to receive texts from anyone else while on the cruise. I’m wondering how I can make that happen.

I know you can turn on DND, but still allow calls from your Favorites. Not sure if that works with texts from your Favorites, too.

I sail with my wife and kids, and we all have iPhones. I would very much enjoy using iMessage to stay in touch on the ship vs. the DCL app’s chat feature.

However, I truly have no desire to receive texts from anyone else while on the cruise. I’m wondering how I can make that happen.

I know you can turn on DND, but still allow calls from your Favorites. Not sure if that works with texts from your Favorites, too.

I agree! I have heard that the DCL app chat feauture didn't work well and since we are an iphone family this will come in handy. I am not that interested in receiving texts from anyone else though.

Just imessage? So only iphones? Can someone clarify? We have galaxy phones and are very happy with them (we can "facetime" using google duo) and aren't up for new phones for a year, but if you can really message home I would switch for our 7 night next June.

Could also see about purchasing an olde ipad or iphone or similar for a couple of bucks so you don't have to change phone Operating systems.

Being able to receive iMessages from my mom and my pet sitter would make things so much more relaxing when I cruise. I'll put DND on everyone else. :)

This is possibly the most exciting thing I've read in a while. We always burn through the full internet package because we can't disconnect from work for more than 48 hours. Having free imessage would help us really streamline when we have to connect, and let us stay in touch with family and friends. I'm going to hope this sticks around!!!!!

WhatsApp wasn't free, but we used it between us (iOS) and our son (Android) using the ship wifi last cruise. It didn't use much data at all. I think we only had the free amount and the smallest package possible. WhatsApp uses the ship wifi.

This is good to know. I have an iPhone but my husband has been very happy with his Google Pixels and has no plans to switch. Maybe we'll try WhatsApp on the next cruise since we both use this service regularly on land.

This is cool! It would be great to use iMessage just to check in with my family back home while I'm on a cruise.

Being able to receive iMessages from my mom and my pet sitter would make things so much more relaxing when I cruise. I'll put DND on everyone else. :)

I have only known DND to work for calls. Not texts.

I use it for texts all the time... when I'm sleeping, or driving, or at the movies. It works great!

I just realized - DND may work for not getting audible “pings” or visual notifications when other people message you, but you’ll still receive the messages, and you will still see them when you open up iMessage.

I wonder if there is a way to not even see those messages until you’re ready to toggle them on when you get back home. I am thinking there probably isn’t.

Ironically, what I want is exactly the “bubble” that the DCL chat app provides. I just can’t abide by its unreliability and the requirement to always keep the app surfaced to receive texts in real time.

Apple only? We are Samsung galaxy people also, so hopefully they are doing something with Android SMS.

I was on the Fantasy in March and we have Samsungs. I was actually receiving messages from GroupMe without the WI-FI package. It scared me because I thought I had mistakenly purchased the package (I was ready to blame my husband lol!). So I guess that might be an option? I agree that this preference for iPhones is annoying.

I just realized - DND may work for not getting audible “pings” or visual notifications when other people message you, but you’ll still receive the messages, and you will still see them when you open up iMessage.

I wonder if there is a way to not even see those messages until you’re ready to toggle them on when you get back home. I am thinking there probably isn’t.

Settings > Notifications > Messages and then turn off Allow Notifications until you’re ready to toggle them back on.

For an individual that has texted you who you would like to not see iMessage alerts from during your cruise (but leave notifications on for others), go into that individual’s conversation in iMessage, then tap their name at the top of the screen, then tap “i info”, then toggle Hide Alerts to on.

I once use iMessage for free on Southwest at 30,000 Ft. Then they fixed the leak in the paywall. I wonder if Disney will do the same.

-Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter