In desperate need of a Disney fix!

Mel4306

Earning My Ears
Needless to say I haven’t been to Disney since I was about 6, thats going on 24 years. And to be away from Disney for that long, its heartwrenching! I was due to go and celebrate my 30th back in April, but my best friend bailed and here I sit, a couple months later still with the Disney itch needing to be scratched. My friends are all getting married, having kids, and starting new jobs, so its hard to find someone else to go with that is also as much a Disney fan as me. Although, truth be told, I don’t feel like it! Have I mentioned its been like 24 years since stepping foot into a park?

Anyway, my dilemma currently is figuring out if I’m mentally able to go it solo or if I should wait for someone to trek there with me. I’m painfully introverted, and I don’t like dealing with people much on a face to face spectrum. My family tells me I can’t do it because I won’t want to go on the rides or do anything alone. I feel like it would be super crazy for my first visit I’ll remember to be a solo visit, but I don’t like waiting on people to decide what’s going on. I would love to see everything at my own pace.

So long story short, is going to Disney for the first time solo a bad idea?

(I apologize if this isn’t in the right thread, I just found this forum!)

Hi, Mel, and welcome to the DIS. You're in the right place, and on this board, you will find a lot of encouragement to take a solo trip. Many of us have done it and had a great time!

I definitely understand because my friends are lame and don't like to go as often as I do, so I do end up going alone frequently. I usually try to keep solo trips a bit shorter (like two or three days), as that works for me. I also tend to switch it up between WDW and Disneyland, and I personally find DLR to be a little more solo friendly, mostly because it's so compact, but the crowd also has a different vibe there too and there are more young adults roaming around (not that I am one ;)). Personally, I wouldn't let anyone hold me back from going. I think you'd have a great time!

Anyway, if you have any questions, just let us know. You may even be able to find someone to meet up with for a meal or park time, if you are so inclined. Have a look around, and have fun!

Thanks BrianL! That’s what I keep trying to tell myself. Though, I’ve never really heard/done research about WDL, maybe one year I’ll find my way out there!

You won't have much face to face with people. Just when you check into your resort, when the ride CM ask how many people in your party and when you order food. You'll be fine.

Is it true that CMs try to go above and beyond a little more for solo Disney-goers to make them feel more at home? I've been watching a lot of vlogs and reading up to see if its something I could actually do. I think the biggest hurdle is the first couple of days, and not being familiar with the surroundings. How helpful are the CMs?

I love a solo trip, and my first one as an adults (after 20+ years) was inadvertently solo. Other people came and decided that hanging out at the hotel pool was as much fun as they needed. I on the other hand hit 3 parks (some twice) and had a fantastic time. I have done solo and with people trips ever since. My advise is this, if you aren't sure how you would like doing things on your own you should practice. Eat a meal at a restaurant alone. Feel free to start with fast food and work your way up to an easy sit down restaurant. Even if you just eat in the bar somewhere or at a diner. Try going to a movie alone, or some other activity you enjoy (shopping, rock climbing, wine and paint night, whatever you like). Work your way up from easy interactions to ones you find more challenging. The first time I went to a movie alone, I felt self conscious, now it doesn't bother me. And feel free to bring a book or listen to music if that helps you. At Disney I read on my phone while eating and it helps. Also sends a signal to strangers that I don't want to chat.

I’m currently doing all that... I was better years ago to do things solo, but as I’ve gotten older I’m finding it increasingly difficult.

My other question is; is riding the rides alone awkward or weird in any way?

Is it true that CMs try to go above and beyond a little more for solo Disney-goers to make them feel more at home? I've been watching a lot of vlogs and reading up to see if its something I could actually do. I think the biggest hurdle is the first couple of days, and not being familiar with the surroundings. How helpful are the CMs?

Well, the y may or may not go "above and beyond" for a solo, but they tend to be well above most customer service people in general. They will certainly be very helpful and happy to answer questions. You won't get lost, and if you do, any CM will be happy to assist.

My other question is; is riding the rides alone awkward or weird in any way?

Well, again, that all depends on you. If you don't feel awkward then it really won't be. Most people won't even notice you or give you a second glance. On some rides you will be seated with others, but usually you will get a car or row to yourself. The roller-coasters tend to fill every seat, so you will be seated next to someone else. There are single rider lines for Test Track, Expedition Everest and Rock'n Roller Coaster that can be to your advantage (though watch that RNRC one - it is sometimes slower than the regular line). There are always plenty of single riders and such, so it's no big deal to the CMs.

I keep hearing so many things about single rider lines, and I’m aware its not every ride, and the ques tend to get boring if you don’t have someone/something to do with you. But without draining cell battery or lugging around a book, what are some ways for someone who dislikes human interaction as much as myself (which is weird, its what I do for a living) get through without feeling like a loner per say?

I’m just at the point where I’m weighing all the pros and cons to doing a solo trip. I’d really like to make it a goal for myself at some point (hopefully in the not so distant future) to do so. Cue sappy bucket list goals LOL

I can’t seem to quite figure out what the right time to go would be either, I obviously don’t want a lot of crowds, so that puts me end of April/beginning of May, or September time frame, am I mistaken on that?

I keep hearing so many things about single rider lines, and I’m aware its not every ride, and the ques tend to get boring if you don’t have someone/something to do with you. But without draining cell battery or lugging around a book, what are some ways for someone who dislikes human interaction as much as myself (which is weird, its what I do for a living) get through without feeling like a loner per say?

I’m just at the point where I’m weighing all the pros and cons to doing a solo trip. I’d really like to make it a goal for myself at some point (hopefully in the not so distant future) to do so. Cue sappy bucket list goals LOL

I can’t seem to quite figure out what the right time to go would be either, I obviously don’t want a lot of crowds, so that puts me end of April/beginning of May, or September time frame, am I mistaken on that?

For the queues, they are what they are. I mostly look a the detailing all around me and just soak it in. A lot of the queues now have interactive elements and such, so there is a lot to look at. I don't really play with my phone that much, unless I'm booking FastPasses or doing some other Disney related task. I like to check out when I am there. Sometimes I will talk to others in line, but not always. People are mostly very friendly though.

As for low crowds, these days, that's a tall order. Even the traditionally less crowded times are becoming busier and busier. I probably wouldn't worry too much about that (though avoid the holidays where it will be crazy busy). It's better to just have a plan and stick to it. Use rope-drop and FP as much much as possible. A Park Hopper can help for using EMH since you can escape once crowds get high (or hop in for the very nice night-time hours). Avoid MK on Saturdays and Mondays, as they are busiest there. Otherwise, just look at the park hours and offerings and go based on what you want to do. There are lots of good resources to help you plan here on the DIS.

I say do it, but like a pp said, maybe (keep) working up to it a bit.

At one point, I started going to movies alone- at first it was really weird and I felt a bit self conscious. Now, it's one of my fave things to do! I actually think I prefer going to movies alone than with others :confused3.

You could start with that!

I now do a lot of things alone. Travel (whether it's a few days after a work trip, joining an adventure tour on my own (and then staying for a few days alone afterward), movies, coffee shops, roaming the city, moving to new provinces/across the country many times, you name it! It's fun and super relaxing. And very empowering to know that you can just "do you"!

As far as lines, I don't know. You could listen to music, that doesn't really drain the battery much. People watch, do the interactive things, plan the rest of your day.

Why don't you test it out: head out to a nearby town (or even neighbourhood) for the day next weekend. Anything that involves a new place on your own. I thin you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fun and freeing it is!

I'm kind of in the same boat- while I've traveled on my own a fair bit, for some reason I keep waiting for diff groups of ppl to come to Disney with me- people who all, year after year, say "next year". Nah, screw that- I'm done waiting to do it on someone else's schedule. I'm going now!

:)

I know the feeling of hating to wait for other people! I’m one of those early arrivers and when someone doesn’t show up at the time we agreed on, I get annoyed, messes up all the plans! I’m definitely going to attempt going and doing more things by myself. The hardest one for me will be dining, but having something to do makes sense! I’m sick of people telling me I can’t do this and I want to prove them wrong!

It's lots of fun! My first solo trip happened because my friend bailed, and I went anyway because I'm stubborn. It was so much fun! Now I make it a point to take solo trips every year.

It's lots of fun! My first solo trip happened because my friend bailed, and I went anyway because I'm stubborn. It was so much fun! Now I make it a point to take solo trips every year.

I couldve done that in April, but there’s no way I would’ve been mentally prepared... she bailed less than 2 months to the trip. And I’m still bitter towards her at this moment:confused3

It's not crazy to go solo for your first trip in a while. You're on a board filled with people who do solo trips. I also am introverted and have social anxiety. It is admittedly awkward being alone at first, but it's something you get use to. Eventually you realize no one cares and you can have as little human interaction as you want. If you learn to plan right and utilize fastpass, rope drop, extra magic hours, and mobile ordering, you can keep your line time and to a minimum. I enjoy my trips with family and friends but it is honestly a nice change to be able to do what I want at the pace I want. Table service restaurants are about the only thing I don't feel like doing alone.

Like was said, there aren't really slow times these days. Just avoid times when school is out, holidays, or events like cheerleading competitions and marathons and you'll be okay. I personally prefer November except the week of Thanksgiving or mid January to early February. And a lot of people here go in September. Just go for it. It's fun even alone and Disney World has changed significantly in the last 24 years. Having the experience will help you better plan the next trip when you take someone with you.

So long story short, is going to Disney for the first time solo a bad idea?

I've been solo a couple of times now and even when I go w/ someone it's usually only my DD and I. So, I'm not used to going with a big group anyways. I'm not much of a talker when it comes to strangers, so I do not interact with the CMs much, although they are usually always friendly. As for standing in lines, you have no idea who is with who or if they're alone until you get up to the CM placing people. I've stood next to other solo people and had no idea until we came up to the CM who asked how many in your party. I always assume they are with the group in front of me. I think others think that about me when I'm in line solo. I pretty much play or read on my phone whether I'm in line solo or not, same with eating. I always bring my back-up charger. People have no idea if you are really solo or not. There are a lot of conventions at Disney and maybe you're off on your own while your spouse is at a meeting. Often, 1 family member does something (orders, purchases, checks-in, etc) while the others are off corralling the kids. No one knows, no one cares. Just enjoy yourself, if you do decide to go, and enjoy the freedom of being able to go at your own pace, spending your time however you choose.

As everyone else has said, going Solo to Disney is the best! I leave this weekend for another solo trip. The last few I have had to use an ECV to get around the parks due to health/stamina issues. I utilize FP+ to avoid long lines for rides and get ADRs so I don't have to deal with crowds at mealtime. During meals I'm usually checking show times and other things, so I never really notice the other people around me.

Do it. Make plans and follow through.

Welcome! :wave2:
As you can see, others have done solo adventures to WDW. There is even a thread I believe for solo travelers where you can post travel dates and see if you can meet up with other Disers. My other recommendation is to save enough money to take someone with you if you are truly afraid to go solo. Have you ever tried a Disney cruise? I heard cruising is also great for solo travelers; you can meet other Disers in the adult lounges, shows, etc.

My other recommendation is to save enough money to take someone with you if you are truly afraid to go solo. Have you ever tried a Disney cruise? I heard cruising is also great for solo travelers; you can meet other Disers in the adult lounges, shows, etc.

I thought about that too, but with my current financial state, I can't take on the burden of a trip like that alone, sadly! I even offered my sister that, and she refused... she wants to help with the cost but can't at this moment with her life and school. And she's never been! I am thinking of surprising my parents and her (dad is a huge Star Wars/theme park nut) and I know he'd appreciate, but its a lot financially. People at work are telling me about a cruise, but my issue is upon port, I would want more time to look around! Yay conflictions! I feel like I'm making excuses, but I'm just praying I can get down there within the next couple of years!

I like going solo sometimes. It's always going to be better with others. Disney is always busy and everyone is in their own bubble. Someone may talk to you if it''s a long line but generally no one will notice you're there. Not in a bad way though. If you're not open to solo, I can go with you. I have an AP so I wouldn't mind doing whatever you wanted to do and if you couldn't decide I could make suggestions. I am comfortable exploring the park in general silence as well. Let me know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!