In Honor of Squirrel Appreciation Day.....

cruising spud

DIS Veteran
Believe it or not, there is a Squirrel Appreciation Day. Which sadly to say, some of the disboard members might have actually known about. This year's Squirrel Appreciation Day was January 21.

And discovering this holiday, made me wonder about squirrel feeding at Disney. For those of you who feed the squirrels, what do you feed them?

Thank you.

Most of them help themselves. bag of shelled peanuts, can of pringles (sour cream and onion), package of chips ahoy, ask me how i know..

we go Tractor Supply & buy 2 very large bags of unsalted shell peanuts. Couple of times a day throw hand falls of the peanuts where the squirrels can find them.

Disney ask you not to feed the wild animals, the Fort Squirrels are not included in this group. Tractor Supply sells raw and unsalted peanuts in 20# bags, I have heard they will eat them. Gloria has fed them my peanut M&Ms after she eats the chocolate.

Not a good idea to feed animals, especially at campsights. Good thing disney is not in bear country:D and as campers you should know better!

There is a reason I am asking this question. My husband and I are headed to Disney in about six weeks, and I was thinking of doing some recreational squirrel feeding.

And, Sjm-you are correct, up to now, I have NEVER thought it wise to feed wildlife (other than the birds in winter), because evil things might happen....

maxresdefault.jpg

but I had read that the Disney squirrels were magical, daredevils, who demanded offerings. I will have to think on this one.

Last campground i was out, people were feeding wild animals. I get up early and watched the skuks and possum go around there sites. The one camper got skunked, well there dog did. I do here stories of bears going through campers , not many, but one is enough for me. Squirrels should be ok, just remember not everything in nature is ment to be interactive. Sometimes its best to just watch

They really don't take to whole kernel corn very well in my experience.

They do like chex mix, original. Unsalted peanuts are my usual bring. Froot Loops, for whatever reason, have also seemed to be loved by them as well.

I like to tell my story about my first visit to the Fort, site 420. I had a family of 6 living in a nest just over the site. By day two they were readily crowding around the space under my awning and I was sitting on the steps feeding small pieces of bread to them by tossing short distance in front of me. The loaf was on the table just to my right and was open. As I'm pulling pieces off a single slice and tossing I hear a noise behind me. When I turned, I saw only a tail sticking out of the loaf. He comes out with a whole piece of bread, just looks at me, and jumps on the ground and runs off. When I turned back to where the other 5 squirrels were at...they were all gone.

My first experience with how they hunt in packs.

I like to tell my story about my first visit to the Fort, site 420.

And the legend was born....

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

It's not really feeding them per se, it's more like a goodwill gesture on your part to prevent, how should I put this, "unfortunate accidents" happening at your campsite.

I missed the song, but her meatloaf recipe was awful dry.

I did one a poptart once in the 1400 loop. Watched him bury it rather.

Must not of liked it.

I wonder if it sprouted roots...

So, hypothetically speaking, if any of you would feed the squirrels, would you feed them at your campsite or away from your campsite, so they don't hang around? Because I get what Sjm is saying----one time we were camping at the Grand Tetons and campers had left their trash outside their door. We saw a bear rip into the trash and then rip into the camper door in search of more food. Now, I understand that a squirrel is not a bear, but I have read enough Stephen King novels to realize that strange things happen in this world.

Nope, at the campsite. I ain't spending the money on food to have the neighbor's get to watch them too! If they want in on the action they are welcome to come over, provided they bring some food too.

Stephen King feared squirrels...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!