In love with Disneyland... would I hate WDW?

Never found this "Disney Bubble" you love. Stayed the first few nights of our visit in a Grand Villa at Kidani. Loved waking up to see giraffes and zebras, but the bubble burst on the 2.5 hour wait for a bus to Epcot. After a few nights there, we spent the remaining 8 nights at Bay Lakes. Loved the hotel, still didn't like the 30 mins on a monorail to get to Epcot, or an hour to get to Animal Kingdom, or the time to get to Hollywood, and Disney Springs. I'm glad you prefer WDW, but I really can't see it. I will take my walk back to the Candy Cane Inn, Hilton, or DLH any day.
What time of year were you there? The most I’ve waited for a bus at a hotel was probably 15-25 minutes. We always get to a bus stop about an hour or more before the park opens. Hardly ever see anyone there waiting. It’s just nice that everywhere you go is Disney.

Never found this "Disney Bubble" you love. Stayed the first few nights of our visit in a Grand Villa at Kidani. Loved waking up to see giraffes and zebras, but the bubble burst on the 2.5 hour wait for a bus to Epcot. After a few nights there, we spent the remaining 8 nights at Bay Lakes. Loved the hotel, still didn't like the 30 mins on a monorail to get to Epcot, or an hour to get to Animal Kingdom, or the time to get to Hollywood, and Disney Springs. I'm glad you prefer WDW, but I really can't see it. I will take my walk back to the Candy Cane Inn, Hilton, or DLH any day.

Totally see where you are coming from there too. I had a rental car last time just to avoid the transport issue. Still it was streets and parking lot, very deserted road getting to Fort Wilderness. I wouldn't exactly count that as being in the Disney bubble. You drive past walls of hotel properties at best.

Maybe I am the odd woman out there again, but I actually like walking past certain "cheap" hotels and I know I am getting closer. And "full streets" are certainly not only a DLR issue - in WDW it's just different because you are normally in the cars in that traffic and not trying to cross the street. ;)

What time of year were you there? The most I’ve waited for a bus at a hotel was probably 15-25 minutes. We always get to a bus stop about an hour or more before the park opens. Hardly ever see anyone there waiting. It’s just nice that everywhere you go is Disney.

I thought maybe it was because I stayed in a value or maybe it was because it was the day before a marathon weekend. In All Star Sports there were always significant lines for the busses when I left with the car last fall, and that only once was less than an hour before park opening.

I thought maybe it was because I stayed in a value or maybe it was because it was the day before a marathon weekend. In All Star Sports there were always significant lines for the busses when I left with the car last fall, and that only once was less than an hour before park opening.

The AllStars.....UGH. That was the one place I did NOT feel the Disney Bubble. Going to the parks, coming back, beginning, middle or ending, those bus trips were bad. Mainly because the lines were crazy long every time and there seems to be a lot more ECV-families loading than at other resorts.

As for Malcon10t waiting 2+ hours for an Epcot bus, that seems....not right. I've certainly waited 45 minutes for a bus. Twice. Once at Riverside and once at Kidani Village. That was enough to make me steaming. But it's virtually impossible for there to not be a bus going to a park for 2 hours. I've never heard of anything like that, and I have a lot friends that go and I frequent the WDW boards. Sounds like some pretty bad luck. That would definitely kill the Magic.

We were there from Dec 29-Jan 9. There were buses running to the other parks, but not to Epcot. That said, the issue was all the traffic. As we finally did get on a bus (we missed 2 fastpasses) it took a long time to arrive. Why? The traffic was backed up, so if we had taken the car, it would have been worse. At the end of the night, leaving Epcot, it was very crowded, but we managed to get on the second bus going back. (I am in an ECV.) We did take the car as much as we could, and it was similar to pulling into the Disneyland parking lot and catching the tram in.

I enjoyed the parks, don't get me wrong. But given the choice, I'll go with Disneyland.

ETA - We missed the previous bus by seconds, didn't worry about it because the sign said "Every 20 mins..."

We only go to dw late feb-early March so less crowds. I’ve never stayed at an all star because I’ve heard of the bad bussing.

We were there from Dec 29-Jan 9. There were buses running to the other parks, but not to Epcot. That said, the issue was all the traffic. As we finally did get on a bus (we missed 2 fastpasses) it took a long time to arrive. Why? The traffic was backed up, so if we had taken the car, it would have been worse. At the end of the night, leaving Epcot, it was very crowded, but we managed to get on the second bus going back. (I am in an ECV.) We did take the car as much as we could, and it was similar to pulling into the Disneyland parking lot and catching the tram in.

I enjoyed the parks, don't get me wrong. But given the choice, I'll go with Disneyland.

ETA - We missed the previous bus by seconds, didn't worry about it because the sign said "Every 20 mins..."
I’ve never heard of someone waiting that long for a bus. I feel like you either got really unlucky or something happened to the busses. You also were there at a very busy time of year. We’re lucky enough that we don’t have kids so we can go during the school year when it’s less busy.

We are DLR people, but love WDW too. Only enough to fly out from the West Coast once every three years, but enough to think its worth it as a different destination. There are a lot of threads about why and how to make the best of those differences. Personally I prefer FP+ because its free and I don't feel like WDW is as ride-intensive of an experience as DLR is. I like MaxPass, but having to pay for it? Adds up quick with a family on a multi-day trip, and it took some of the gamification out of getting FPs for us. I love the food at both parks, but dining is more of an experience in Florida ... we don't even try for hard-to-get places, its more the fact that the kids get excited about things like escargot and will happily snack around the World Showcase at Epcot while we fill out our drink around the World cards.

Everything is farther, so taking the pacing differently is crucial and planning on what transportation you want to use is essential. We like to stay next to our favorite park, Epcot, though we have also stayed next to MK and DHS and at Animal Kingdom Lodge and those were all cool for their own reasons. Being in the hotel next to the park greatly improved the experience for us, only having to take buses to one or two parks helps, although for the next trip I'm just going to plan Minnie vans into the budget (some of my party was okay with the buses, I wasn't a fan). We also like the water buses, though some people don't, YMMV.

Magic Express is awesome. The water parks are really fun (although I'd recommend against a summer trip - the humidity in Florida makes you melt, and I'm a Hawaii native so I grew up in humid weather and still wilted in early June Florida weather), and Disney Springs is a pretty great destination too. Resort hopping is something that is kind of pointless at DLR but just really a kind of special experience all its own at WDW to wander and try the multitude of offerings at the resort restaurants.

If you go with the idea that it is Disney but not Disneyland and those differences sound great, then you'll enjoy yourself. If you the time and distance between the parks will bother you and the idea of sit-down restaurant experiences and resort hopping doesn't appeal, it might not be worth it.

We are DLR people, but love WDW too. Only enough to fly out from the West Coast once every three years, but enough to think its worth it as a different destination. There are a lot of threads about why and how to make the best of those differences. Personally I prefer FP+ because its free and I don't feel like WDW is as ride-intensive of an experience as DLR is. I like MaxPass, but having to pay for it? Adds up quick with a family on a multi-day trip, and it took some of the gamification out of getting FPs for us. I love the food at both parks, but dining is more of an experience in Florida ... we don't even try for hard-to-get places, its more the fact that the kids get excited about things like escargot and will happily snack around the World Showcase at Epcot while we fill out our drink around the World cards.

Everything is farther, so taking the pacing differently is crucial and planning on what transportation you want to use is essential. We like to stay next to our favorite park, Epcot, though we have also stayed next to MK and DHS and at Animal Kingdom Lodge and those were all cool for their own reasons. Being in the hotel next to the park greatly improved the experience for us, only having to take buses to one or two parks helps, although for the next trip I'm just going to plan Minnie vans into the budget (some of my party was okay with the buses, I wasn't a fan). We also like the water buses, though some people don't, YMMV.

Magic Express is awesome. The water parks are really fun (although I'd recommend against a summer trip - the humidity in Florida makes you melt, and I'm a Hawaii native so I grew up in humid weather and still wilted in early June Florida weather), and Disney Springs is a pretty great destination too. Resort hopping is something that is kind of pointless at DLR but just really a kind of special experience all its own at WDW to wander and try the multitude of offerings at the resort restaurants.

If you go with the idea that it is Disney but not Disneyland and those differences sound great, then you'll enjoy yourself. If you the time and distance between the parks will bother you and the idea of sit-down restaurant experiences and resort hopping doesn't appeal, it might not be worth it.

Thank you! I think right now WDW feels very overwhelming and exhausting because I have young kids. I enjoyed the ease of walking everywhere with the stroller and easy hotel breaks at Disneyland. I deff want to expirence WDW, but I think when my kiddos are older. They are 5 and 1.5 now.

Thank you! I think right now WDW feels very overwhelming and exhausting because I have young kids. I enjoyed the ease of walking everywhere with the stroller and easy hotel breaks at Disneyland. I deff want to expirence WDW, but I think when my kiddos are older. They are 5 and 1.5 now.
I agree with you. I Would wait until they are 8 or 9

I’ve never heard of someone waiting that long for a bus. I feel like you either got really unlucky or something happened to the busses. You also were there at a very busy time of year. We’re lucky enough that we don’t have kids so we can go during the school year when it’s less busy.
Yep, happened to me once. Disney messed up and failed to send a final bus to Typhoon Lagoon to pick up a bunch of folks. When you are at a hotel and the bus does not come, you kind of have options. But at Typhoon Lagoon you are totally stuck. A Disney rep eventually came in person and apologized for the screw up.

Today I would just do Uber. But this was pre-Uber.

For anyone who looks at my signature you can see I have a strong preference for Swan/Dolphin. Walking distance to 2 of the 4 parks and centrally located to the other 2. And I use Uber a lot especially to get to the parks or anywhere I cannot go directly (say from Swan to Wilderness Lodge or AKL.

Mostly I have had had good experiences with the buses. But I try to minimize being dependent on them.

Finally, reading @Malcon10t's post reminds me of how WDW vets seem so accustomed to buses and boats they cannot grasp the walking distance hotels at DLR. All they can grasp is that it all seems so small if you can actually walk places.

I am at the point I like both. It is nice having walking distance at DLR. But it is also nice having all that space at WDW. I do feel the Disney bubble there and, for the most part, I can be patient with the buses and boats and monorails because I always can just use Uber when I need to.

:wizard:

YIKES!!! DL is just so much easier!! Also went several years ago and ALL the CS places had the same awful food (lousy burgers and chicken fingers) .... it's DL for us!!

YIKES!!! DL is just so much easier!! Also went several years ago and ALL the CS places had the same awful food (lousy burgers and chicken fingers) .... it's DL for us!!
Luckily, our friends, who were assisting us on this trip had set up our meals, planned the FPs, etc... I really enjoyed many of the restaurants. We had a great meal at the Biergarten, and everyone loved Be Our Guest, but I was so surprised we needed a reservation for COUNTER service! Our trip was a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it was much harder on me than Disneyland is, and I think that made a problem.

Some of my favorite rides? Frozen, a night safari where we encountered the lions roaring, Mine Train, I missed Expedition Everest because my grandson got stung by wasps... Oh and I did love that we could order food online and just walk up to pick up our orders!!

Yep, happened to me once. Disney messed up and failed to send a final bus to Typhoon Lagoon to pick up a bunch of folks. When you are at a hotel and the bus does not come, you kind of have options. But at Typhoon Lagoon you are totally stuck. A Disney rep eventually came in person and apologized for the screw up.

Today I would just do Uber. But this was pre-Uber.

For anyone who looks at my signature you can see I have a strong preference for Swan/Dolphin. Walking distance to 2 of the 4 parks and centrally located to the other 2. And I use Uber a lot especially to get to the parks or anywhere I cannot go directly (say from Swan to Wilderness Lodge or AKL.

Mostly I have had had good experiences with the buses. But I try to minimize being dependent on them.

Finally, reading @Malcon10t's post reminds me of how WDW vets seem so accustomed to buses and boats they cannot grasp the walking distance hotels at DLR. All they can grasp is that it all seems so small if you can actually walk places.

I am at the point I like both. It is nice having walking distance at DLR. But it is also nice having all that space at WDW. I do feel the Disney bubble there and, for the most part, I can be patient with the buses and boats and monorails because I always can just use Uber when I need to.

:wizard:
I’ve actually never used an uber before (not just at dw but ever). We have started considering taking our first trip to dL and I’m a little sad about how expensive the on site hotels are. I’d like to use the extra hours but it just seems too expensive.

I’ve actually never used an uber before (not just at dw but ever). We have started considering taking our first trip to dL and I’m a little sad about how expensive the on site hotels are. I’d like to use the extra hours but it just seems too expensive.

We don't have uber in Germany. I've been using them for the first time this year. The first two times my friends showed me how to order on their phones. Then they helped me install the app and I tried myself. It works really easy, the app is self explanatory. The only issue that I encountered (twice) during my travels was that the driver called because he couldn't find me, apparently the GPS was off by two buildings respectively he got lost trying to find the Disneyland pick up area.

The AllStars.....UGH. That was the one place I did NOT feel the Disney Bubble. Going to the parks, coming back, beginning, middle or ending, those bus trips were bad. Mainly because the lines were crazy long every time and there seems to be a lot more ECV-families loading than at other resorts.

In general bus service was the reason I got a rental car, I heard about bad connections to certain resorts a lot. That and I was going to do hotel hopping on Halloween for the characters. ;) I didn't see many ECVs at the All Stars though.

And I really couldn't see why that hotel has such a bad reputation with a lot of people. The room was just as big as the one in a moderate where I had stayed the trip before. The food court was a bit noisy and crowded, but I am not a breakfast person anyway. I only stopped there every morning to fill my mug and grab a bite three times. The grounds and the rooms had just enough theming not to be obnoxious for me. The room was way more quiet than the one I had stayed in at OKW, and the Cast Members were lovely. I had jokingly asked at Check In for "a good Pokemon room" because I still play Pokemon Go, and boy did the CM checking me in come through. :D A friend who only stayed at Moderate and Deluxe Resorts before was with me for one night, and even she said that she might have to look at staying in the All Stars in the future to have more "play time money" in the budget because she really liked the room and the Resort in general.

We don't have uber in Germany. I've been using them for the first time this year. The first two times my friends showed me how to order on their phones. Then they helped me install the app and I tried myself. It works really easy, the app is self explanatory. The only issue that I encountered (twice) during my travels was that the driver called because he couldn't find me, apparently the GPS was off by two buildings respectively he got lost trying to find the Disneyland pick up area.

In general bus service was the reason I got a rental car, I heard about bad connections to certain resorts a lot. That and I was going to do hotel hopping on Halloween for the characters. ;) I didn't see many ECVs at the All Stars though.

And I really couldn't see why that hotel has such a bad reputation with a lot of people. The room was just as big as the one in a moderate where I had stayed the trip before. The food court was a bit noisy and crowded, but I am not a breakfast person anyway. I only stopped there every morning to fill my mug and grab a bite three times. The grounds and the rooms had just enough theming not to be obnoxious for me. The room was way more quiet than the one I had stayed in at OKW, and the Cast Members were lovely. I had jokingly asked at Check In for "a good Pokemon room" because I still play Pokemon Go, and boy did the CM checking me in come through. :D A friend who only stayed at Moderate and Deluxe Resorts before was with me for one night, and even she said that she might have to look at staying in the All Stars in the future to have more "play time money" in the budget because she really liked the room and the Resort in general.
We’re taking our niece for her first Disney trip and are staying at Pop. It will be dh and my first time staying at a value but I’m excited! They are refurbishing their rooms and the busses at Pop don’t share with any other hotel.

Folks you have to stop...

Excluding weather WDW is far superior in every way.

Take it easy. It’s okay.
Understand Walt learned from all his mistakes he made at DL and improved upon them with WDW. Doing it the way he really wanted to...

It’s a world not a land. Simple.
Disney “land” is great.
Disney “World” is better.

That’s your opinion. I think Disneyland is amazing and better than wdw in so many different ways.
It’s okay.
Everyone can have their own opinion.

How true! We stayed on points at VGC (which btw, is the only way to feel “the bubble” in California, it helps when you supershuttle to and from the airport and never leave Disney property which is what we did twice). First time in a Studio and second time in a 1BR. I think that 1BR is like $800/night. Hands down the nicest room I ever stayed in (5 nights). I could never afford (nor would I choose to) this without my DVC membership.

I think it's hard to predict whether or not you'll love it or hate it, but I'll just give you my personal opinions. :)

I'm a L.A. native - born in San Pedro - and I much prefer WDW to DL, and so do all the members of my family. My parents, who took us to DL all the time as kids, prefer WDW. As an adult, I go back and forth to DLR and WDW often with my siblings or husband. However, like others have noted, WDW and DL are too different to compare apples to apples, so it's really all about your own preferences.

Personally, what we prefer about WDW are the following:
  • Planning: I am one of the few weirdos that LOVE that I can preplan my vacation down to the minute, especially since we're coming from the other side of the country. It's nice to arrive and not have to worry about where we're going to dinner or how we're going to ride popular rides.
  • EPCOT: The World Showcase is awesome! No matter how many times I go, I get kind of geeked out about visiting the different "countries" in EPCOT. Plus, the festivals are amazing. There's entertainment, food booths, experiences - there's a festival almost every time we visit, so EPCOT always feels very festive.
  • Animal Kingdom: The idea of a park and a zoo in one location is awesome to me. I know many people prefer the rides in the park, we like that we can learn about and visit animals, and also enjoy some typical theme park activities.
  • Transportation system: I LOVE being able to ride a Disney bus, boat, or monorail to different areas of the resort. It may sound strange, but I truly feel like I'm in the Disney "bubble" when I'm riding Disney transportation rather than driving myself and parking in a parking lot or taking an Uber to the parks.
  • Restaurant choices: My husband is a very disciplined type 1 diabetic and my sisters are picky eaters, and there is a good amount of variety at DLR, but there are exponentially more choices available at WDW, particularly if you include Disney Springs.
  • Character dining choices: My sisters are in their late 20's and my husband and I are 30, but we love character meals. There are a handful of places you can dine and meet characters at DLR and you have to leave the parks for 3 of those locations. At WDW, there are more than double (maybe triple? we haven't been to them all) the number of character dining locations. Most do not require us to leave the parks, either.
  • Space: My husband *hates* crowds and we've been to WDW many times, even at times that are considered 9 or 10s on the crowd calendars, yet we've never really felt as crowded as it felt at DL because of all the space. The parks themselves are so spread out at WDW.
  • Resorts: I just love all the resorts at WDW, even the values. The values and moderates have excellent Disney theming, and the deluxe resorts have the advantage of excellent locations. The prices are VERY good for all levels, including deluxes - at least when compared to the DLR resorts.
  • Magic Bands: the Magic Bands are crazy fun! My husband is an engineer and enjoys the techie aspect of it, but all I know is touching the Mickey on the band to the Mickey access point feels magical to me. It's such a small thing, but I really enjoy watching the Mickey access point light up when you touch Mickeys. Additionally, you can customize these in advance or order special Magic Bands when they're released, to have some pre or post Disney fun year round.
  • Disney extras: Disney themed mini golf, Cirque show (La Nouba is gone now, but something is going to replace it, last I read), water parks, etc. WDW is massive, and there's just so much Disney fun to go around.

What we prefer about DLR:
  • Ride proximity/easy park hopping: It is really nice to just be able to walk a few feet to the nearest ride. Also, park hopping is a breeze at DLR. Once you're at DLR, you don't *need* any transportation - you just walk.
  • Familiarity: I've been to DLR so many times; it's nice to just know where everything is. :)
  • Way easier to meet in-park characters: The characters kind of mill about at DLR, but that's not the case at WDW.
  • Downtown Disney: I do love Disney Springs, but I like how close Downtown Disney is at DLR. I also enjoy the offerings they put in their significantly smaller space. Even though Disney Springs has a lot more restaurants, experiences, and shops than DTD, I do not feel like I necessarily need more when I'm in DTD.
  • History: Like many DLR fans, I think it's awesome that DL was the park that Walt built. It's special in that way.

I think it's hard to predict whether or not you'll love it or hate it, but I'll just give you my personal opinions. :)

I'm a L.A. native - born in San Pedro - and I much prefer WDW to DL, and so do all the members of my family. My parents, who took us to DL all the time as kids, prefer WDW. As an adult, I go back and forth to DLR and WDW often with my siblings or husband. However, like others have noted, WDW and DL are too different to compare apples to apples, so it's really all about your own preferences.

Personally, what we prefer about WDW are the following:
  • Planning: I am one of the few weirdos that LOVE that I can preplan my vacation down to the minute, especially since we're coming from the other side of the country. It's nice to arrive and not have to worry about where we're going to dinner or how we're going to ride popular rides.
  • EPCOT: The World Showcase is awesome! No matter how many times I go, I get kind of geeked out about visiting the different "countries" in EPCOT. Plus, the festivals are amazing. There's entertainment, food booths, experiences - there's a festival almost every time we visit, so EPCOT always feels very festive.
  • Animal Kingdom: The idea of a park and a zoo in one location is awesome to me. I know many people prefer the rides in the park, we like that we can learn about and visit animals, and also enjoy some typical theme park activities.
  • Transportation system: I LOVE being able to ride a Disney bus, boat, or monorail to different areas of the resort. It may sound strange, but I truly feel like I'm in the Disney "bubble" when I'm riding Disney transportation rather than driving myself and parking in a parking lot or taking an Uber to the parks.
  • Restaurant choices: My husband is a very disciplined type 1 diabetic and my sisters are picky eaters, and there is a good amount of variety at DLR, but there are exponentially more choices available at WDW, particularly if you include Disney Springs.
  • Character dining choices: My sisters are in their late 20's and my husband and I are 30, but we love character meals. There are a handful of places you can dine and meet characters at DLR and you have to leave the parks for 3 of those locations. At WDW, there are more than double (maybe triple? we haven't been to them all) the number of character dining locations. Most do not require us to leave the parks, either.
  • Space: My husband *hates* crowds and we've been to WDW many times, even at times that are considered 9 or 10s on the crowd calendars, yet we've never really felt as crowded as it felt at DL because of all the space. The parks themselves are so spread out at WDW.
  • Resorts: I just love all the resorts at WDW, even the values. The values and moderates have excellent Disney theming, and the deluxe resorts have the advantage of excellent locations. The prices are VERY good for all levels, including deluxes - at least when compared to the DLR resorts.
  • Magic Bands: the Magic Bands are crazy fun! My husband is an engineer and enjoys the techie aspect of it, but all I know is touching the Mickey on the band to the Mickey access point feels magical to me. It's such a small thing, but I really enjoy watching the Mickey access point light up when you touch Mickeys. Additionally, you can customize these in advance or order special Magic Bands when they're released, to have some pre or post Disney fun year round.
  • Disney extras: Disney themed mini golf, Cirque show (La Nouba is gone now, but something is going to replace it, last I read), water parks, etc. WDW is massive, and there's just so much Disney fun to go around.

What we prefer about DLR:
  • Ride proximity/easy park hopping: It is really nice to just be able to walk a few feet to the nearest ride. Also, park hopping is a breeze at DLR. Once you're at DLR, you don't *need* any transportation - you just walk.
  • Familiarity: I've been to DLR so many times; it's nice to just know where everything is. :)
  • Way easier to meet in-park characters: The characters kind of mill about at DLR, but that's not the case at WDW.
  • Downtown Disney: I do love Disney Springs, but I like how close Downtown Disney is at DLR. I also enjoy the offerings they put in their significantly smaller space. Even though Disney Springs has a lot more restaurants, experiences, and shops than DTD, I do not feel like I necessarily need more when I'm in DTD.
  • History: Like many DLR fans, I think it's awesome that DL was the park that Walt built. It's special in that way.
I love what you said about the magic bands. I love when the mickey head swirls around and lights up. It’s also cool to have everything together in that one band, like our hotel key, dining credits, and charging stuff to the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!