In the park: Food Allergies

RosalindMarie

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,
I will be traveling to Tokyo disney for the first time, and had a simple question unsure if anyone could answer for me or not. I have a mild food allergy to Mushrooms based foods. Do anyone of the dishes in the parks or resort restaurants have a heavy mushroom base for their dishes? If so are the good about accommodating guests with allergies?

They do have allergy menus, but they aren't particularly inspiring.

It's also the law that they have to indicate when foods contain matsutake mushrooms but I'm not sure about other kinds.

It's not generally Japanese custom to alter or go off menu, so don't expect WDW level of catering to guests. You should be able to get your server to check ingredients though. I would bring an allergy card printed in Japanese and English to cover any language barriers.

Allergy menus are here by the way:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/bfree/allergenmenu.html#bfree-tdl

They do have allergy menus, but they aren't particularly inspiring.

It's also the law that they have to indicate when foods contain matsutake mushrooms but I'm not sure about other kinds.

It's not generally Japanese custom to alter or go off menu, so don't expect WDW level of catering to guests. You should be able to get your server to check ingredients though. I would bring an allergy card printed in Japanese and English to cover any language barriers.

Allergy menus are here by the way:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/bfree/allergenmenu.html#bfree-tdl
This helps me alot thank you very much!

I am not an TDR expert, but have been checking food allergy options there lately.:)

The TDR official site has a tool that will show you what allergens the menu items have. You select TDL or TDS, then check to see the restaurants menu or the allergens to avoid. You can check Matsutake mushroom as the allergen, but not all mushrooms. Matsutake is an expensive mushroom, and I think it is commonly not used at the restaurants, especially at theme parks. I just did a quick search for TDL table service restaurants menu that does NOT include Matsutake, and "Chicken and mushrooms balsamic flavor" at East Side Cafe showed up. That sounds like an obvious item you should avoid.
The tool is just for reference, and you should always check with CM when ordering. And in your case, you will definitely need to check with CMs. I like the above poster's suggestion to carry the printed food allergy card.

Some Japanese dishes may use Shiitake mushroom based soup, so check carefully even when it's not obvious.

Have a great vacation!

If that is your only allergy and you can eat everything else (especially meat & fish!) then it shouldn't be a big deal. It is in a lot of foods in Japan but if you show an allergy card they will help you.

I am currently in Japan as a vegetarian that can't have gluten. That is a whole other beast and I am sure I am being perceived as rude a lot but people are taking my allergy card seriously.

I use the app EatAway (only available for iOS sadly) and it's fab. You select exactly what your restrictions are right down to specific ingredients and then it makes an allergy statement for the waiter for you. The waiter then taps that they understand/do not and the app notifies you of what they say in English. It also has lots of other languages (3 of which I speak and I find the translations to be excellent).

Mushrooms are in a lot of things such as ramen so take snacks with you and be prepared to be turned away at a place. Probably won't happen but the right expectations make a great difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter