Independence of the Seas/Symphony of the Seas? Opinions please!

janiebubble

DIS Veteran
We've only cruised Disney -we went for the Disney ... we loved the cruising! We live in England so a Disney cruise was a cheap(er) way of getting a proper Disney fix (no transatlantic flights to contend with!).

We've now done 4 cruises ... 7 night Mediterranean from Barcelona, 4 night Mediterranean (Just Spanish islands actually) from Barcelona, 7 night Dover to Barcelona and most recently this year 7 night Northern Europe. I'm a school teacher so have limited holidays ...

next summer all we could do on Disney within our price bracket is a 5 night Mediterranean which would take us to ports we've seen before. I really, really wanted to do Norway, but there isn't one next summer on Disney which fits in with the times I can take my annual leave.

so I'm left with three choices ... the 5 night Med on Disney, 8 nights on Independence of the Seas to Norway, or 7 nights Med on the Symphony of the Seas.

Which would you do? They're all approximately the same cost - Independence is slightly cheaper (about $250 in total for the two of us. We have no kids, but we're not into formal/stuffy - don't really want to dress up for dinner etc and we want to be entertained!

My big hesitation re Independence is the cabins ... we're looking at inside (we've travelled in a 10C for 3 out of our 4 Disney (the other was a 9B) and I'm worried they're really small and look really tired and grotty (and turquoise!) but I'm aware there is a drydock next spring.

Symphony would give me really new cabins (although still small)!

I know both ships are bigger than the Magic, I know I'll miss the drinks station (I'm a diet coke addict so I know I'm paying $10 a night for soda) on the Magic we love deck 4 and just sitting watching the sea (but also walking the jogging track) - I'm assuming we'd find something similar?

So, I think the question is really ship or itinerary? Any thoughts?

We love cruising on a variety of cruise lines. Half the fun is trying new ships. RCCL is our most often go to as it just works for us. Their adult pool, their evening shows like comedians.

And to get a longer cruise for less money? No brainer for me.

If you love the deck 4 type place, you would want Indepenence of the Seas. The only thing I don't like about the Oasis class ships (symphony) was lack of that deck. But Oasis class ships are fun too with all their activities.

They also sell a soda package so you can have unlimited soda. And it would still be cheaper than what you spend for a Disney cruise.

Room size doesn't matter to us so no help there.

Enjoy whatever you choose!

I've sailed on IOS twice. Never in an inside cabin though. Both times I was in FOS 8500. The room was clean well maintained. The color was a greenish blue but that didn't bother me at all. IOS has more spaces that face the ocean that Symphony. The outside deck on deck 5 is usually empty on the non smoking side. How port intensive are the itineraries?

It's a hard decision. One one hand I would probably do IOS if you don't have many sea days. OTOH only $250 more for Symphony is a great deal.

What if you end up enjoying the smaller cabins?

I use to only cruise in verandah cabin amd once we were "upgraded" to an oversized cabin (reassigned handicapped room) with an oversized balcony... You thought we'd really suffer trying the smallest inside room... Surprise, surprise! We loved it. We just spent a little more time outside.

For 2 to 3 more days on a better itinerary I would not hesitate one second.

Keep your heart and your mind open... Try something new.

We love cruising on a variety of cruise lines. Half the fun is trying new ships. RCCL is our most often go to as it just works for us. Their adult pool, their evening shows like comedians.

And to get a longer cruise for less money? No brainer for me.

If you love the deck 4 type place, you would want Indepenence of the Seas. The only thing I don't like about the Oasis class ships (symphony) was lack of that deck. But Oasis class ships are fun too with all their activities.

They also sell a soda package so you can have unlimited soda. And it would still be cheaper than what you spend for a Disney cruise.

Room size doesn't matter to us so no help there.

Enjoy whatever you choose!

the longer cruise and the itinerary I really want ... I was just a little nervous over the cabins ... not the size really just the quality ... the outdoor space is important too which is another vote for independence! Thank you!

I've sailed on IOS twice. Never in an inside cabin though. Both times I was in FOS 8500. The room was clean well maintained. The color was a greenish blue but that didn't bother me at all. IOS has more spaces that face the ocean that Symphony. The outside deck on deck 5 is usually empty on the non smoking side. How port intensive are the itineraries?

It's a hard decision. One one hand I would probably do IOS if you don't have many sea days. OTOH only $250 more for Symphony is a great deal.

deck 5 sounds like my sort of place! It's the colour in the cabins that puts me off to be honest not the size! IOS is 2 sea days (8 days in total) Symphony is 1 sea day, but at least 1 port that we wouldn't get off the ship for - sailed there twice already!

Last edited:
What if you end up enjoying the smaller cabins?

I use to only cruise in verandah cabin amd once we were "upgraded" to an oversized cabin (reassigned handicapped room) with an oversized balcony... You thought we'd really suffer trying the smallest inside room... Surprise, surprise! We loved it. We just spent a little more time outside.

For 2 to 3 more days on a better itinerary I would not hesitate one second.

Keep your heart and your mind open... Try something new.

we do tend to spend quite a lot of time outside the cabin (we had an ocean view on our second cruise but went back inside and haven't missed it for the next two!) it isn't the size so much as the décor (which sounds very picky I know) but so long as the beds are comfy I'll be ok!

Everything so far has me swaying to Independence of the Seas ... I think the idea of the new ship was just a little too exciting for a moment!

we do tend to spend quite a lot of time outside the cabin (we had an ocean view on our second cruise but went back inside and haven't missed it for the next two!) it isn't the size so much as the décor (which sounds very picky I know) but so long as the beds are comfy I'll be ok!

Everything so far has me swaying to Independence of the Seas ... I think the idea of the new ship was just a little too exciting for a moment!

IMO, you'll do just like I did when I realized that we did not end up with one of the refurbished rooms on the Carnival Victory (about half the cabins were brand new at that point)... You'll see the room and think: "This is not exactly what I was hoping for but it's comfortable." ... and then you'll move on and concentrate on the fun. :)

p.s.: Our Victory cabin had 80's orange tones like this:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/ilovetocruise/media/bWVkaWFJZDo1OTAyNzcz/?ref=

I LOOOOOVE the IOTS cabin decor in comparison. LOL

IMO, you'll do just like I did when I realized that we did not end up with one of the refurbished rooms on the Carnival Victory (about half the cabins were brand new at that point)... You'll see the room and think: "This is not exactly what I was hoping for but it's comfortable." ... and then you'll move on and concentrate on the fun. :)

p.s.: Our Victory cabin had 80's orange tones like this:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/ilovetocruise/media/bWVkaWFJZDo1OTAyNzcz/?ref=

I LOOOOOVE the IOTS cabin decor in comparison. LOL
lol ... yes I can see why!! I think my biggest fear is finding a ship where we don't 'fit in' if you see what I mean? We looked at P&O Britannia and it seemed to be mainly aged 60 plus ... my SIL sailed Cunard to Norway (which we could do for a similar price) but she didn't enjoy it and I know the strictly enforced dress codes etc isn't our thing. The fit of Royal Caribbean seems best for us ... hope I'm right :)

lol ... yes I can see why!! I think my biggest fear is finding a ship where we don't 'fit in' if you see what I mean? We looked at P&O Britannia and it seemed to be mainly aged 60 plus ... my SIL sailed Cunard to Norway (which we could do for a similar price) but she didn't enjoy it and I know the strictly enforced dress codes etc isn't our thing. The fit of Royal Caribbean seems best for us ... hope I'm right :)

I know a lot of people who sailed with DCL has a great time on RCCL. I think that as long as you go with an open heart/mind, you have all the chances to enjoy your vacation.

I know a lot of people who sailed with DCL has a great time on RCCL. I think that as long as you go with an open heart/mind, you have all the chances to enjoy your vacation.

It seems that way ... one of the reasons we decided RCCL might be a good fit. Thanks for all your input really helps

Symphony. You'll be trying a new line and Royal's latest ship with all bells and whistles. We love Oasis class.

We've just booked a cruise on IOS with several family friends. I've only been on a cruise once (15 years ago) and not RC so I'm trying to do my research. I noticed that you were in the room my friend has booked FOS 8500. She is having doubts and thinking about cancelling because she is afraid that room with make her sick but her DH (a former navy guy) wants to keep that room. Any advice? We didn't choose a family room in front because I was nervous too and my kids have never been on a cruise. We would love to have a balcony or view but chose the promenade family room instead.

We've just booked a cruise on IOS with several family friends. I've only been on a cruise once (15 years ago) and not RC so I'm trying to do my research. I noticed that you were in the room my friend has booked FOS 8500. She is having doubts and thinking about cancelling because she is afraid that room with make her sick but her DH (a former navy guy) wants to keep that room. Any advice? We didn't choose a family room in front because I was nervous too and my kids have never been on a cruise. We would love to have a balcony or view but chose the promenade family room instead.

I don't get seasick but my husband and kids do. They were all fine in the room. The first time we sailed in that room they started taking bonine every night before bed. Tey stopped after a few days because they were fine. This last cruise they didn't take it at all. There were times where there was more movement than other parts of the ship but no one got sick. It's a great room, it's the only FOV I'll sail in.

I don't get seasick but my husband and kids do. They were all fine in the room. The first time we sailed in that room they started taking bonine every night before bed. Tey stopped after a few days because they were fine. This last cruise they didn't take it at all. There were times where there was more movement than other parts of the ship but no one got sick. It's a great room, it's the only FOV I'll sail in.

Thanks, that helped put her mind at ease so she is not cancelling! I saw a video on youtube of that room and I'm jealous now :) I wish we had real doors for the bunk and master bedrooms!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter