Inexpensive way to tell if neighbor killed my grass

Married2theYeti

Mouseketeer
Okay, I know this is really out there, but I would like to know if there is an inexpensive way to tell if my neighbor has used Roundup to kill a portion of our grass.

Here's the story -- sorry so long. For the past 4-5 years, our next door neighbor has been mowing over the property line. His wife used to mow -- and did fine --but then he got a nice ZTR mower and he does it now. At first, he mowed over just an inch or so. But it has gradually gotten worse. We did talk to him about it a couple of years ago. We even showed him a copy of our survey. (He doesn't have a copy of his.)

A few weeks ago I went to Walmart to purchase flowers and tomato plants, was looking around and saw some shrubs for 50% off. Decided these would be perfect for down the property line. So far, we have planted about 1/3 of the way starting from the back corner of the lot. He can no longer mow over in the back but he still has continued to mow over in the front. About 10 days ago, DH went over to talk to him about it again. We marked a small red line on the curbing to show him where the line was. The conversation was cordial. We normally get along okay. Part of the problem is there is a white spray painted line on the curbing that he has continued to respray every few years that he says is the line.

The neighbor behind us had a fence put in many years ago and had a staked survey done at the time. One of the stakes is still there (opposite side of our back yard) and we measured 90 feet over (our lot size) and drove a steel rod well into the ground to mark it. The neighbor behind us (now a different homeowner) decided to extend his fence and had it measured again and said our steel rod was accurate for where our three properties come together. We also took two measurements off the house on the side.

A few days ago, after DH talked to him, we noticed a white spray painted stick coming out of the ground in the back yard by the steel rod. It is accurately placed, but is kinda funny to us because when we did this and when our new back yard neighbor did this, he mowed over the sticks like he didn't see them.

NOW we have noticed that the grass is dead in the front for a couple of feet from the curb inward at the white spray paint mark. There are also a couple of small dead spots close to the area that we believe are drip marks. We also noticed that he had used grass killer around the mulch line of his trees in his backyard so we know he has been using it. I should also mention that he has had a blowup with his neighbor (many years ago) on the other side regarding where the property line is, but is now respectful to them when he mows. Behind him is farmland and he has put quite a bit of landscaping on that farmland to keep the farmer from mowing over into a drainage ditch (which is on the farmers land -- not his). Needless to say, he and the farmer had a verbal confrontation, but the farmer allowed the landscaping to stay.

SO we asked him about using grass killer there and he says he didn't do it. At first he said maybe "he" has grubs. Then he said maybe his mower did it. We are going to take pictures to keep for future reference, but -- AND HERE'S THE REAL REASON FOR MY POST: Is there a way to tell without spending a fortune if there was a chemical placed on my property to kill this grass. We are sure he is lying and I am afraid that if he gets by with this he will try killing the shrubs too. I have thought about digging up sod from his yard to place in the dead area, but I really don't want to start a WWIII. Thanks for any information that can help and for letting me vent!

I read your whole post...but I can't seem to get past this:

WHY is it an issue at all that he mows a little over the property line? I don't get it.

Yeah, me too. I mow a little bit over the property line with my neighbor, mostly b/c the neighbor's 13 y.o. son is the one who mows and he doesn't come close enough to the property line and leaves large swaths of uncut grass when he mows.

WHY is it an issue at all that he mows a little over the property line? I don't get it.

Yeah, me too. I mow a little bit over the property line with my neighbor, mostly b/c the neighbor's 13 y.o. son is the one who mows and he doesn't come close enough to the property line and leaves large swaths of uncut grass when he mows.

In some areas, if you can prove that you've done the upkeep on an area of property over a certain amount of time, you can claim it as yours. Kind of like squaters rights, I guess. Obviously mowing an inch or two over the line is no big deal, but if this guy is doing it by a few feet, the OP could have a property disput on her hands if she isn't careful.

I am also puzzled as to why his mowing a little over the line is a problem. Maybe he was trying to be nice?? I don't think there is anyway to find out if it is your neighbor who caused the dead spots on the lawn.

I agree w/PP's that it would be nice to know why this is such a problem that it's about to erupt into WWIII. I don't worry about our neighbors mowing over the line. We all do it -- you have to turn around somehow. They're not hurting anything, so I don't care. We each mow a little over and it's no big deal.

As to the question: The only way I know of is to take a sample to your local ag. extension office and have them run a sample. I don't know how much it would cost -- you'd have to call and ask. We had a sample of a dying tree looked at several years ago and it was around $50, IIRC. But it varies -- sometimes they'll do things for free if they think it's symptomatic of a larger disease, which yours is not. I'd just call and ask. They might also be able to give you other ideas. Most extension offices are very helpful, at least in my experience. You might also call a university if you have one near you that has an agricultural or grass management program to see if they can tell you something.

op- sorry can't help you .

to the others- the issue may be that in some states if they allow him to mow into their property after a certain amount of time it becomes HIS property. kind of like squatters laws they used to have. if you live somewhere long enough without anyone telling you to move, it became your property. i know that these laws still exist on the books in some states. and that may be an issue. if he continues to mow into her property line then it becomes his property.

I don't feel that 3-4 feet is a "little" mowing over. And each year it has gotten worse. Next thing you know he could be planting on my property, like he did behind him. The "issue" was the dead grass.

I'm not sure how to help the OP, but I wanted to second what the above poster said... ESPECIALLY since the neighbor seems to have boundary issues with ALL of his neighbors, you really can't give him even an inch.

OP, you might be able to get a fertilizer company, or perhaps a lanscaper to help you determine if the grass was killed with chemicals. But I'd also recommend getting your property professionally surveyed, and get cement markers put in.

Good luck - it sound's like you've got a really winner of a neighbor. :faint:

ETA - I found a link with some info: http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Hortline.asp?code=3141

In some areas, if you can prove that you've done the upkeep on an area of property over a certain amount of time, you can claim it as yours. Kind of like squaters rights, I guess. Obviously mowing an inch or two over the line is no big deal, but if this guy is doing it by a few feet, the OP could have a property disput on her hands if she isn't careful.

Absolutely!

I had a similar problem with old neighbors of mine. The neighbor on the other side of their house used to cut their grass. When he would cut it he would cut over about 3 feet into my yard (and the neighbors had a fence so he knew where the property line was). I let it go for a while but he would cut it so short that it would actually make my yard look like crap and like mine needed to be cut when it was just cut and it also burned the grass cause it was so short. Well, one day I asked him very politely to not cut so far into my yard and he said well it makes their yard look better and I said well, it makes mine look worse... he never spoke to or looked at me again!

I'm not sure how to help the OP, but I wanted to second what the above poster said... ESPECIALLY since the neighbor seems to have boundary issues with ALL of his neighbors, you really can't give him even an inch.

OP, you might be able to get a fertilizer company, or perhaps a lanscaper to help you determine if the grass was killed with chemicals. But I'd also recommend getting your property professionally surveyed, and get cement markers put in.

Good luck - it sound's like you've got a really winner of a neighbor. :faint:

Thanks for your suggestion about the ferizlizer co or a landscaper. Since we have already paid for a survey and have a legal document from them and our back yard neighbor also has had a suvey with the stakes still in the ground, I probably won't pay to have another done. We are confident we know where the line is.

That's right! Sorry, I don't have any advice OP, just document and keep talking to him.

ETA- I was wondering, how expensive is it to get a soil tester to come to your house? Would it be less than replacing a lot of shrubs? It would probably be worth it! Good luck!

ETA II- Is there a soil testing kit available? You may be able to get some results that would tip you off and consult a soil tester on the phone to confirm it with the results.

Do you live next to me??? Thanks for the help if you are! We are still on that learning curve!!! :rotfl2:

It definitely is a big deal! You don't know this unless it has happened to you. Especially when we are paying over $5,000 in taxes. It is a huge deal. We had our neighbors do this to us. At first it was a foot, then two feet, then he was in the middle of our back yard. My husband starting saying things joking at first hoping that he would get the hint. Well, he didn't. So he had to tell hm nicely that he could mow his own grass. We decided to have it surveyed. They came out and put steaks along the line with rope attached to it. We then put a natural boundary with trees. Now, there is no question and it gives us privacy. Did you ever think of getting it surveyed and put a permanent boundary down. This is the best thing that we ever did. Oh, by the way, did I tell you that she is one of my closest friends. You have to live near eachother so if you have a third party involved - the line is where the line is. Good luck as I know it can be stressful.

I agree w/PP's that it would be nice to know why this is such a problem that it's about to erupt into WWIII.

My point was that we get along with these neighbors and I don't really wish it to erupt into WWIII! I don't care if you or others are not respectful of your property lines. That's between you and your neighbors. Obviously, we care, the farmer behind him cares, and his neighbor on the other side cares. I have been a homeowner for almost 30 years and all of our other neighbors have been respectful.

Too bad you aren't in the St. Louis area. My company does soil tests for around $25.00. You might not have to have a lawn care company come out to your house. We let our customers bring the soil sample to us and they we package it and mail it to the lab. That helps keep the cost down.

Oh my, MY neighbor does the SAME thing!

Since the day we've moved in here.. they mow the back part of our lawn. They planted a huge garden RIGHT on the edge of our yard (we have three boys, who play ball.. they might want to move the garden!). They have 2 acres.. we have a 1/2 acre.. really.. RIGHT on the edge, wasn't necessary. They hauled off a piles of sticks that I had in my yard. They've trimmed our trees. (that one was the final thing that got DH over talking to them.. asking if they understood where the property line was).

They owner of the land next to us drives through our yard.. because she says it's her yard. She comes over and asks what we're doing, if we're in the "questionable" area. She is nice.. don't get me wrong. She said the boys can play on any of her yard, just don't leave toys laying around. I do greatly appreciate that. So, I dropped the whole thing.

This year.. I just told DH.. they can mow it if they want. Save me some work. We're putting the house on the market this spring anyway.

I would say take a soil sample to your local extension office. They should be able to tell, at a fairly minimal cost.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question but have you ever thought about putting up a privacy fence? This way he can't cut your grass and you don't have to see them either. It would solve the property line battle.

Yes, we did think about putting up a fence. There is a chain link fence behind us and on the other side. But because our kids played with theirs, we decided not to. The shrubs we planted are the tallish type and will provide a natural screen, but we don't want to have to go all the way down the property line in the front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter